Photo by Melody

Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson: Wonderful!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thanksgiving LessonReplies: 15, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 27, 2008
8:22 AM

Post #5835125

Sharon, what a wonderful article, you have such a gift for story telling! I'm feeling so blessed to know you !
Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend!
Hugs,
Adina
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #5835230

A winner. You moved me with that story. Thank you.
A very Happy Thanksgiving (and I won't say 'Turkey Day! LOL) to you and yours.
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 27, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5835258

A lovely way to begin this Thanksgiving morning!
Thank you.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5835348

Another wonderful, heart-warming story. I need to remember this for future reference.
Happiest of Thanksgivings!!!
Jan

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5835454

Sharran that story was wonderful and when the DGD get here I intend to read it to them!
Happy Thanksgiving sweettie and thank you again for sharing your memories with us!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5835818

Time for book of your essays I would think.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5836174

My family could not be with me today, and I dreaded getting out of bed. There was no church service of any kind near me, but the sun was gorgeous and my wonderful neighbor was out clearing my yard of leaves. I settled myself down with morning coffee and opened DavesGarden. I had written the Thanksgiving story some time ago, and decided to read it again.

And then I came to this thread. There are not many in my own family, most of them long gone, but I realized when I started reading your comments that somehow Dave's has provided a form of blessings in itself. You have made my Thanksgiving Day so very beautiful, and for that I am thankful. Along with all this glorious sunshine, you have given me smiles. Thank you.

And thank you for your comments.
Adina, your words are treasures. I hope your day is as lovely as mine.

Dutchlady, words from you are always uplifting, always encouraging.

Debilu, you are so very welcome. I hope you have a lovely day.

Jan, nice that you will remember the story, but I'll bet you have some good memories, too.

Pixie, if you were here we could find a grapevine, and all swing on it. I will always remember that picture!

LouC, maybe soon. Thank you.

I wish for you all the blessings of this day.
Sharon

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5836833

Sharon - I thoroughly enjoyed your story! Thanks for giving me a big smile as I read about your childhood memories of Thanksgiving as well as your sweet grandchild's question! Too cute!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5837076

Hi Becky,
Thank you, memories are what living is about, I think, so I am all in favor of making new ones.
I wish for you many blessings, and many smiles even through the clouds that sometimes overtake us.
Sunshine to you during this holiday season.
Thanks for reading the article..
Sharon
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 30, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5843505

Good morning, dear friend! How nice to get back on DG and read your latest articles about Porky and Tommy. We've been in Asheville working on the house again over the holiday and had our Thanksgiving dinner at J&S Cafeteria, something I hope never to do again. I love cooking and having family together for the holidays, so it just seemed like another day. Was it the same way for you? I'm happy you have so many loyal friends and readers here.

Both articles were your usual fine fare and while I've never shared your soap-making memories, we did have a tom turkey one year that we fed and had for dinner and I've seen many a chicken's neck wrung by my grandfather. To this day, I can remember all the steps in dressing a chicken. If the economy doesn't improve, this may come in handy! My grandmother raised chickens and we lived with my grandparents until I was 15. She had broody hens and kept the biddies in a special little house just for them. I remember how soft the biddies were and the cheeping sounds of them. Ah, well.

We are a product of the 40s, you and I and others who share these memories, and while I thought then that we were poor, I know now how rich indeed we were and how lucky I am to have had such a childhood. Families today are so scattered and shattered. I thank God for all His most generous blessings on me and mine. I send hugs, love and good wishes to you.

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5844164

Angie,
Your eloquent words very much express my feelings.
I think you will agree that being a product of the 40's is not a bad thing. Aren't we fortunate to have lived during a time when we could learn so much about life, sustainable life? I do not want to ever sink into complacence. I don't want to ever take nature or life for granted.

I did have a nice Thanksgiving, thank you. My little 4 year old grandson visited, and we always have a good time. Kicking and screaming when he had to leave, he said, "put my jammies under my pillow, Nana, I will be back!"

Little blessings, all.
Thank you for your beautiful comment.
Sharon
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

November 30, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5844296

Fortunate indeed we are. I think complacency is killing our nation and our young folks, especially. Greed is doing its share, of course, but complacency is the more deadly, in my humble opinion.

Glad you had Ethan with you. Children bring fresh hopes, don't they?

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5844365

They bring fresh hopes, and so many smiles.
Ethan and collect bird feathers that we find out in the yard. He especially likes blue bird feathers, and we save them in a little tin tool box made to look look like an old fashioned lunch box. It has a tiny lock and key. He tells me that the birds leave them as messages for him, and they are treasures from the birds.

They only leave messages here at my house, he doesn't think they live at his "other house"...I tell him he just has to go outside at his other house and look for them.
We do have a good time.

Yesterday he told me he could eat 5 pieces of bacon, but did not think he could eat 5 pieces of toast. And so he did.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5844422

Being another child of the forties, I fully understand. Were I to fixate on the one thing that has changed our society the most, the television would have to be it--- some good, some bad. The PC and Internet has opened up the world for so many. Certainly being able to share with each other everyday is the best of the best.

Have helped dress the chicken with its head recently wrung off way too many times to count. Still remember the stink of putting it in hot water to pull the feathers. yuck. Wish one could find a "pullet" about a pound in the butcher shop. The big chickens that are available today just don't fry up as good.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5844474

You are so right, Lou,
Nothing quite so stinkin' as that smell. Well, maybe the smell of rendering lard.

Darius had a great article about "green turkey" recently that I hope you read. It mentions the difference in turkeys that are raised "green" and those that are raised to process for food. Might be the same for chickens, I would guess.

Nice to have memories, isn't it Lou, even those that are more than 60 years old. Keeps us warm through cold arthritic winters...oops, does Desoto have cold winters?

Thanks for writing.
Sharon
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5844572

We sure do. zone 8a. Problem here that we have summer 3-4 days, then winter 3-4 days and back again. The plants never know how to react. One really hard freeze puts everything down and then a few days later it may be 75 degrees. Today it is about 50 but wind is gusting to 40mph so it is anything but comfortable. It is raining leaves.

I did read "green turkeys". She is so right. Many of our foods don't taste like they did "in the old days". We lived in the city (Dallas was about 50,000 people then) but at that time the Farmer's Market was a great place. We ate only organic because that's all there was.

We are beginning our second year of our own backyard veggie garden. Not very good last year but we are learning with the help of DG.

Thumbnail by LouC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What a lovely family you have!!! frostweed 2 Nov 27, 2008 6:19 PM
Gobble Gobble phicks 1 Nov 27, 2008 6:20 PM
Enjoy today Susie2 3 Nov 27, 2008 7:07 PM
Beautiful Story! BennysPlace 2 Nov 28, 2008 2:15 AM
Thank YOU, Sharon. whiteapple5 1 Dec 1, 2008 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America