Photo by Melody

Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?: In the Garden

Communities > Forums > Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?Replies: 5, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

November 27, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5835312

Our turkey flock is hovering on the nuisance category. they eat crickets etc. but then take dust baths where the garden is now free of weeds. they think the weeding was just to clear a spot for baths (not really but it seems that way). smaller plants go flying so we put wire over newly lined out seedlings. We mainly have the hens & their chicks so have not had to deal with an aggresive tom.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5835379

I'm glad you and the turkeys seem to be working it out... my brother refers to them (not in a kind way) as "raccoons with wings." I think they're wonderful birds, but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with them in the yard every day. :-)
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5835440

Well, since I already have free range chickens and ducks,
I'm ready for turkeys, maybe. My veg garden is fenced, but I do
sometimes let the birds in there to scratch and eat, and I have wire
to put over sections where I don't want them to go. The perennial
flower borders is protected with logs lying on the ground. I have
also found that you can lay chicken wire over an area of mulched
ground, and just put logs around the edge of the area, and that
looks nice because the chicken wire is invisible.
It is too bad about children being unable to play on a clean lawn,
though! I suppose folks will invent various solutions, but in the
meantime perhaps we should harvest and eat those turkeys.
Fitsy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5836363

LOL... now you've got me wondering if wild turkeys would co-operate in working a "turkey tractor" arrangement, like a "chicken tractor" in the garden.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5837035

When I lived just outside Woodward, OK we put corn kernels on the ground for the quail and mourning doves near my many bird feeders. We had a 6 ft wooden privacy fence around the whole backyard. One cold morning I looked outside the kitchen window just in time to see 3 of wild turkeys come flying over the fence! They thoroughly enjoyed the corn, then took their leave. I thought they might come back, but never did see them again.
So my one time exposure to the wild turkey was a very pleasant one :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5837071

I'd love to see them on occasion... but I'm not sure how I'd feel about having a flock in residence. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 9 Nov 28, 2008 7:43 PM
Wild Turkeys have their own website! gloria125 5 Nov 28, 2008 6:48 PM
Gardening software Petergt 1 Dec 1, 2008 2:54 PM
turkeys in my garden lhillsman 1 Jun 27, 2009 10:13 PM
My life as a turkey steadycam3 4 Nov 26, 2012 7:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America