Photo by Melody

Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?: Wild Turkeys have their own website!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens?Replies: 5, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 27, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5835778

http://www.nwtf.org/

Did you know wild turkeys have their own web site? The National Wild Turkey Federation.There is nothing like a day in the woods and hearing these birds get going in the morning. We - humans - have tried to mimic the turkey gobbler's speech. HAH. There is no comparison.

Thanks, for an article more from the turkey's point of view. Critter.

These birds have been hunted for centuries - providing the joy of the hunt and protein for the family. Still they persist.
Maybe they should have been the National Bird. No one ea ts eagles!

Thumbnail by gloria125
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5836357

Thanks for that link, Gloria! That's a great photo, too. I love seeing turkeys in the woods, but I'm also sympathetic to those who would rather not have them rampaging through the garden. I hope we'll all learn to co-exist happily!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 27, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5836409

Turkey's are really "edge" animals - they like the space at the edge of a woods usually adjacent to open fields.

Im afraid if they don't have a habitat suitable to them, they are going to try to move into spaces that have been taken away from them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5837060

Right. I think the problem is that it's just been so long since they were around in these numbers... and habitat that was once wild and free and available to them is now part of suburban and even urban neighborhoods. Co-existence is going to take some adjustment, at least on our part -- it sounds like the turkeys are adjusting pretty well!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5837343

We have plenty of room for them out here in the country. I find their feathers out in our woods occasionally--pretty! Gee, I didn't know they were hanging out in the suburbs, too! You can all send your unwanted ones to us...wonder how much it costs to mail live turkeys?? LOL
Thanks, Jill, enjoyed the article!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5838483

LOL! I can just see the look on your mail carrier's face...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Turkeys Are Coming! Should we welcome wild turkeys to our gardens? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
In the Garden irisMA 5 Nov 28, 2008 2:16 AM
Great phicks 9 Nov 28, 2008 7:43 PM
Gardening software Petergt 1 Dec 1, 2008 2:54 PM
turkeys in my garden lhillsman 1 Jun 27, 2009 10:13 PM
My life as a turkey steadycam3 4 Nov 26, 2012 7:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America