Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gingers: Any ideas on the ID?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 15, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5837752

Hi, this is another ginger that just started blooming for us. I received the seed from a swap and have no ID for this. It took a few years to get established before blooming. Any ideas from looking at the photo? As you can see, the blooms are red. There is no fragrance. The seed pod becomes an obvious round shape.

Thank you,
~Diana

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5847723

picture changed at site

This message was edited Dec 2, 2008 6:33 AM
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5847726

http://www.alohatropicals.com/store.cgi
And this one...
You have to click on gingers and go to this name:

Costus Sp. "Red Rose"

This message was edited Dec 1, 2008 11:37 AM

This message was edited Dec 1, 2008 11:39 AM

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5848463

Hi PamelaQ,

I can tell you it is not the Costus Sp. Red Rose. I couldn't tell from the photo in the second link you posted, but the first link has a larger photo and I could tell that ours definitely isn't that one. Ours has more of a canna indica type bloom and not the cone shape red flower like the Costus. Thank you though :)))

Ours has one seed pod forming now. It started out as a little 1/4" round sac and now it is at least 3/4 or one inch large. I'll take a photo and post it asap, that may make it more recognizable.

~Diana

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5848782

It sure is pretty! I hope someone can ID it. I, too, am curious now.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

December 2, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5849016

I don't believe that you have a ginger there. It looks very "canna" to me. I have never seen a ginger with a flower like that. The leaves are very cannoid as well.

But you are right, it's NOT Costus osae "Red Rose". I grow that and its a totally different flower.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5849222

I got the seeds from a DG in LA...she told me it was a red blooming ginger. You know I was thinking as I typed the last note, that I wonder if it is possible that it actually IS CANNA INDICA or something like that??? Wouldn't that be funny. The seeds she sent me were round, large and black - very much like a canna seed.

Well, it is growing indoors in our great room by a glass sliding door. I still didn't get another photo. I'll try to tomorrow. Plus, I'll go back in my journal notes and make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Thanks for your help,
~Diana
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #5850196

My first thought was that it was a canna too. Both the leaves and the bloom

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #5850292

I just examined some canna photos and I do believe our "red ginger" is actually canna indica http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/eltel_1020275451_259.jpg&imgrefurl=http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/1528/&h=768&w=1024&sz=88&tbnid=QmnkuAYbUFQJ::&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcanna%2Bindica&hl=en&usg=__xg0yk-ZL5_wNIkuktIQFLs-9vCU=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image&cd=1

In a current seed swap I did just request a ginger called "spiral ginger". I'm looking forward to trying that. Hopefully my luck improves with gingers! I messed up on the ID of my white ginger in the photo contest.

I appreciate all the help. Sorry about the mix up.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

December 2, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5850299

Spiral ginger is a loose term for the large genus Costus gingers. I may be mistaken (I probably am, LOL) but its not the normal method of propagation to grow Costus from seed. Costus can be propagated by rhizome division and stem cuttings (in warm months) but I haven't ever heard of seed grown plants. I know it has to be possible, but it's not the usual. It's pretty easy to grow Hedychiums (butterfly gingers) from seeds though.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5877550

gothqueen, I have never gotten seeds from my butterfly ginger. I didn't even know they produce seeds until someone told me - red seeds. So I waited this year for the plants to die out and no seed. Do I have to hand pollinate them for seeds? Mine multiply like crazy.

wind, you canna is very pretty though.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

December 10, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5878019

The butterflies, hummingbirds and bees always pollinate mine. Not every bloomhead will make seeds. But when you get them, they are easy to grow.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5878107

I, myself, don't need the seeds, but I've had someone from overseas asking for the seeds, so I thought I would try to collect them. Thanks for that info.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

December 11, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5879511

They might not travel all that well. Most tropical seeds from things like gingers, heliconias, alocasias and anthuriums have a very short "shelf life". I always plant mine as soon as I fond them. I just cut off the whole seed pod, open it up and bury the whole thing.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5879860

oh well so much for that. If it was here in the US, I usually dig out the rhizone and send it but I can't do that overseas.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

December 21, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5915748

I started Costus dubius from seed. I've not seen the one above ever set seed.
Many costus also make pups near the former flower; just pull off and plant.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America