Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Aunt Bett, Porky, and Lye Soap: Wood ashes.....

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett, Porky, and Lye Soap
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett, Porky, and Lye SoapReplies: 1, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #5838702

Hi Sharon!

Another great Aunt Bett article, which reminded me of the time I needed wood ashes to try a new stoneware glaze recipe for ceramics. Got some wood ashes from a friend who had a fireplace, and then started processing them by adding water & letting them settle out, per some instructions I'd found in a book. Worked on them for a couple of days, without gloves, and found my hands were getting reallly irritated. Rang a little bell back in the recesses of my feeble mind, looked up "lye" and figured out what I had been doing...DUH. Took a couple of weeks to heal them up. Wish I'd had some of Aunt Bett's comfrey salve!!!

Janet
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5839313

I also have some of those duh moments, nice when the light pops on, though, isn't it.
Good to see you again, Janet. You need to show us more of your great ceramics.
Thanks for writing!
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett, Porky, and Lye Soap Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent work! adinamiti 4 Nov 29, 2008 6:47 AM
I've been waiting for this one Indygardengal 5 Nov 29, 2008 1:32 AM
Good One phicks 1 Nov 29, 2008 6:46 AM
Thank you paulineristeau 2 Dec 3, 2013 2:50 AM
Those chestnuts eskarp 0 Dec 2, 2013 5:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America