Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Chicken antibiotic dosages and timing

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 64, Views: 307
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5839462

So I have a few chickens with mild respiratory symptoms - wheezing and some nasal discharge. I would like to isolate them and administer antibiotics. I don't usually use antibiotics but when they are sick, I make exceptions.

I have terramycin soluble and LA200 injectable. I'm trying to figure out whether I can use the terramycin soluble first and see how they do. Previously I had a chicken with this problem and I took it to the vet and he gave me streptomycin liquid for oral dosing and the chicken was well in a few days.

So, I guess I have 3 questions:
1. Does anyone know if soluble terramycin is appropriate for respiratory illness in chickens?
2. What is the dosage?
3. Everything I read says don't give it to chickens who lay eggs for human consumption. All my chickens lay eggs for human consumption. Is there a time period, such as 3 weeks, or a month, after which the antibiotic is gone from the system, or is it saying if I use the antibiotic I can never eat eggs from that hen ever again? I am sure it's not saying that, but nowhere can I find a "safe" period after which one can eat eggs again.

Thanks for any help,
Claire
Catscan
Lodi
United States

November 29, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5839480

I think there was something in either "Storey's Guide to Poultry" or "Storey's Guide to Chickens" about the time after antibiotics--but maybe it was ivermectin?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

November 29, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5839511

Soluble terramycin is recommended for mild respiratory infections in chickens. There are a few abstracts about how rapidly it enters the eggs--apparently because it is water soluble it is present in the albumen (largely water) by the first egg subsequent to dosage. This site discusses "withdrawl periods" for different medications. Does that mean the time by which it is no longer present?

http://fowlfacts.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=ffmedications&action=display&thread=1697
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5839519

What about VetRX? Has a lot of natural stuff in it... ?? Just a thought.
Fla_Chick
Citra, FL

November 29, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5839533

I have exactly the same problem; a little sneezing and wheezing, gurgling, but everyone is still in good spirts, eating and drinking. I used Tylan in the water for 3 days. 10 grams in 5 gallons of water. This was the cheapest place I found it, I split it with a friend of mine.

http://www.jefferspet.com/product/tylan-soluble-powder-100-gm-pkt-3000.cfm
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5839557

Excellent Catscan! Thank you! I managed to find another site recommending a 4 day withdrawal, so I think I'll stick with something like 2 weeks, just to be extra safe.

ZZ - I have been using VetRX but no real improvement to be honest. Their eyes are gumming shut and that is what bothers me most because they bump into things and can't find the water sometimes.

Fla_Chick - how is it working for you? Improvement? I'll probably try the terramycin first since I already have it, but now I know I can go to Tylan if I don't see any improvement.
Fla_Chick
Citra, FL

November 29, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5840109

So far Im very happy with the Tylan. The sniffling and gurgling started on Thanksgiving (wouldnt you know) with my herd sire Mr. B. Fortunately I was able to get a dosage of Tylan from a friend, and start it on Thanksgiving day. Before I was able to get the water to them, I heard a couple more start sneezing, and I also have some very very young blue rocks in that coop, which did concern me. However, as of yesterday evening, everyone seems just fine, and I havent heard the sneezing spreading very much. This with a coop of about 40 chickens. So I am pleased with the results. I added 2 young chickens last week from a swap that I thought would be just fine; apparently not, as the incubation period would be just right for it to have come from those birds. Lesson learned...no more new birds, unless quarantined first.

(I hope I spelled everything correctly).
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5840129

Good to know - I will probably start mine on the terramycin when I get home from the poultry show today. I will isolate them to ensure I don't get their eggs. Not sure which of the affected ones are currently laying, if any.

Excellent spelling! Carry on! (but really, I'm only Commander Moxon on the hatching threads)
Fla_Chick
Citra, FL

November 29, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5840154

Have a great time at the poultry show!! I went to one down here recently, and was just a bit disappointed at the lack of large fowl poultry. It seems the bantams are by far the most popular.

I will be careful of my spelling for sure. That Moxon word worries me, with the X and the R so close together on the keyboard...shudder...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5840157

Oh I caught that one. Usually they just zing right over my head. But I caught that one. Very good!!!!! LOL
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5840177

Yes, my signature sometimes suffers from this problem. My "X" is like an "r" with a line through it. Sometimes, especially on those electronic touch pad type signature thingies, the cross part on the x ends up in the wrong place, like closer to the O. I sometimes do get mail addressed inappropriately. Fortunately, nobody has ever said "Thank you Ms. Moron" as I leave the checkout...
Fla_Chick
Citra, FL

November 29, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #5840196

hahahahahha...almost spewed on that one...hahahahaha.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

November 29, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5840685

Perhaps that is the origin of your peculiar spelling sensitivity, Chief Petty Officer Moxon?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 29, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5841985

Hey Mox : I have a pkg of terramycin in my hand and it says the dosage is one ounce per gal of water, it also says to destroy all eggs laid for two-weeks after last dosage, it also says for long term dosage destroy eggs from last day dosage was administered. Not sure what long term means. but it also said you see see signs of recovery within forty-eight hours after first dosage. I would think long term dosage would mean anything over maybe one week, but not sure. Good luck Haystack.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

November 29, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5842036

Sorry for the confusion Mox: it says destroy eggs for thirty days when long term dosage is administered. Haystack
InnBetween
Newton, AL

November 29, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5842308

I had the same problem start the first of the week. I used Sulmet and they are all fine now. only had to dose them one time. I think it's the cold weather change.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5842356

Thank you Catscan, that is entirely possible, and also entirely understandable!!

Thanks for that info Haystack. I was at a chicken show today and I picked up water soluble aureomycin and oxytetracycline also, in case I ever end up with an antibiotic resistant bug in any of the hens. I think I'll wait 30 days in any case. Sounds reasonable.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5847442

I have one question. How come the dosing directions don't give volume like teas. or Tablespoon? I have no idea how much 1 oz is so I just dump some in. It just seems so much easier to give an amount that is easy to measure. My coffeee grinder has already been converted to a equine pill grinder I really don't want to drag my kitchen scale to the barn too.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5847474

I take a calculater and break it down to the correct amount for a gallon. There are sites that will tell you the equivalent of mg to oz. I wouldn't just dump it in as if you over dose it could be very hard on thier system especially their bowels.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
6:11 PM

Post #5847808

One oz is one tablespoon. this site is for food but workers for other measurements
http://www.cooks.com/rec/convert/
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5847815

Thanks Wren {{{HUG}}}

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5847825

You are welcome and that site also has a LOT of recipes. I am drooling.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5849663

Wow, 1oz=1tablespoon thats great to know. I still don't understand why the directions don't just say that. Thanks!
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5850465

Most animal Medications are calibrated for industry like chicken houses and hog farms etc.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5850787

I really hope everybodys chickens are doing better. It makes me nervous because I have gone through this a number of times but the first few times I didn't know what to do and felt so helpless. Now I give antibiotics right away and have never had any more casulties. Do any of your chickens go out? Mine do during the day but I have to lock them up at night or the raccons get them. Good Luck and please keep me posted. What is this spelling thing, if you don't mind me asking, my back ground is all science so my spelling and grammer could always use some help.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5850893

A fun way to drive Cmoxon up the wall! LOL
Surreybrit
Big Lake, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 2, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5850919

Sorry for butting in again but as this has not been mentioned I think the measurement of 1oz is different if a fluid as opposed to a dry substance. I believe it is 2 tablespoons liquid = 1oz. 1 tablespoon for dry weights. I have no idea if all chicken antibiotics come in powder form.

However, I think someone should check my information as I am known to be wrong about a lot of things.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5850947

You are right I did not notice that there was both oz and fluid oz on the conversion site.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/convert/
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5852519

I was wondering about that too. Also, an oz of feathers takes up more space then an oz of brick. Another words the conversion between weight and space isn't universal. Some substances weigh more then others. I realize this is WAY off the subject but this chicken med has always driven me nuts. I was always taught not to mix standard and metric measurements either like mg per gal. Way to much thinking for me.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5852552

I have a small kitchen scale that can measure an ounce so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. That is a handy way to do it...
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 3, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #5853393

Don't worry 1lisac--it is just that Moxon has a little trouble tolerating our creative and liberated spelling. I think it is because she is Canadian--and also, if you misspell her name by one letter ,she becomes a moron. So she is a little sensitive. But it can be useful...if you want to know if she is paying attention, just misspell sumthing:0)
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5854124

HEY! That's enough of that missy Catscan! I see your misspelling and I know you're just out to irritate me. Grumble grumble...

1Lisac, I am the spelling police, and it's because I like things to be done (and written) properly, and if I catch you with too many misspelled words, I shall subject you to lashings with a chicken feather. My background is mostly science too, so you can't use that as an excuse! And by the way, it's grammar with an A, not grammer with an E.

That's your first offense so I'll be easy on you! ROTFL!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5858660

This is crazy. I definately feel like big brother is watching. Maybe I have met my match I definately will not be offended by any and all corrections and punishments but I WILL be amused! Actually, where I went to college English was the second language for nearly all my Prof. I studied vales ans veals for along time before I realized he was saying Whales and Seals.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5858938

ROTFL...vales and veals...too funny! I remember one of my calculus profs talking about wectas for a long time and I could never find wectas in the book and I was having trouble until I realized wectas were vectors. Argh...I had all these notes written with wecta all over them! LOL!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5859048

I had a teacher from Texas and we had problems with her nare meaning are and nor meaning or.

Sandy
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5859439

Hey, leave us Texans out of this confusion. I'm just kidding I'm not originally from Texas anyway.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5859739

I moved to Texas when I was 13 and nearly flunked out of school, because I couldn't understand a word the teachers said.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5859846

My grandmother came from west Florida. When I would take her back over there for a visit I would come home talking in a strange language, plus talking way to loud-DGM and Great aunt where both hard of hearing.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5859942

Gasp!! Catscan...how did you escape?!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5859943

Ha! the story about my GGM is that she was VERY hard of hearing and VERY picky about manners -If you didn't speak clearly enough so that she could understand you you were very rude and VERY in trouble.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5859959

Yikes! Sounds a bit scary to me, especially if you were just a kid at the time...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5859961

Lucky mine was not picky about manners. She was a great gardener and when My DD was young she raised chickens.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5859965

I escaped by going to college in Virginia...not something I would recommend for everyone, but it worked for me.

Now I love Texas. But then I am in California...

Grownut--is there perhaps a whiff of your dear GGM in your obsessive grammatical accuracy?

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5859975

Geesh Catscan, is there anywhere you HAVEN'T lived? Oh yeah... Canada!!!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5859983

I would move to Canada--but then I would be an American in Canada--almost as bad as being a Californian in Oregon or Washington.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5860002

Yup, Cats. Most definitely. I was flogged with it.

Actually I worked in Japan for 5 years at an interpreting/ translating company and they were worse than all my relatives combined. It warped me. DB has lived in Germany for about 7 years now and emphatically refuses to even dangle the slightest preposition. It's an ugly, ugly obsession. Sigh...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5860054

Maybe I will send you to stay with my country cousins. Then y'all use all that countrified talk. Like "a mess of peas" He anit going to do it no how" 'Pieano" " I's fixing to do it" or my favority "I fixing to ate a mess of greens." Or feed you hog jowls, clabber, pickled pig feet, crackling or------------
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5860134

Thing is, that's how I sound when that's who I'm talking to. Totally unconscious mimic. I was born that way. My parents and sibs are constantly laughing at me for it when they aren't chewing me out.
When I was in Japan all the English speakers thought I was from a different country, or a different part of England (I never spoke Aussie or Kiwi so each merely thought I was from the other country)

I only really notice anymore when the corrections start flying (Yes, Moxy, I'm a recovering addict!) Then it becomes very hard to control my baser instincts. Or abused background.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5860174

I understand, grownut. The CIA almost refused to hire my husband as an analyst because they didn't think I was an American citizen. I had lived in England for four years and they thought I was British...but the British thought I was Canadian. Which as everyone knows is the next best thing to being British...so they were being kind.

grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5860192

Hallelujah!! Another one! That's it exactly. Except for one poor Brit who couldn't figure out what PART of Britain I was from...I thought I was conflicted, lol!
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5860222

One of my favourite books "Eats, Shoots & Leaves." Have you read/seen it? Love it. I'm such a grammar and spelling nut. I have a load of grammar and spelling and general word reference books, but then I do write for a living, so maybe it is excusable. Of course, when I write on DG or my blog, I allow myself some leeway. Sometimes, I even get really adventurous and begin a sentence with "And." I always feel secretly naughty when I do that. I learned how to do that when I worked at the advertising agency and had to review copy.

I have a very strong British accent with my parents (and only my parents) because they taught me how to speak. By about grade 5, I was getting teased so mercilessly that my mother said I lost my accent in about a week. I suddenly began talking like all the other kids (but only with the other kids, not my parents). The problem is, that has become a habit. When I moved from Nova Scotia to Ontario, my accent changed. Then when I moved to Iowa, it changed again. My mother says she can tell which friends I'm talking to on the phone based on whether I am using an Iowan, Nova Scotian, Ontario, or other accent. Sometimes I find it hard when conversing with British attorneys by telephone not to slip into the UK accent.

Oh dear, I talk too much.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5860246

Same here. Glad I'm not the only one. And DD does the same thing -Kentucky at home, generic North American at home. My mom and all that side of the family have Virginia accents and get teased mercilessly any time they go west or north. Mom lost hers in CA and we kids all pretty much stayed generic. Teasing about that stuff gets brutal. As any Southerner can tell you. Or Other-er for that matter.

Any hoot. It's nice not being the only crazy obsessed person. Or were we talking about chickens?!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #5860254

I wonder if chickens have regional accents--crows and some songbirds do. But then they travel more freely. Maybe chickens have human accents. And the wild animals laugh at them.

Where is my rock?--I need to think.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5860287

Maybe the chickens laugh at our accents. Ummm...
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5860289

That reminds me...I spent 6 weeks in Germany with an aunt(awnt) and uncle. The cats there obviously understood my English, which was fine, but they understood far more German than I did. Never been so jealous of a cat!!

Speaking of rocks...
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
4:12 AM

Post #5860332

German strikes me as a particularly difficult language. I have never taken any lessons. It seems a little daunting. I worked for BASF for a while, which had its HQ in Germany at the time, and sometimes we would get snippets of videos or voice mails in German. They always sounded very fierce.

I say "awnt" too. :-)
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #5860371

I love German! My younger son speaks it fluently...although it is Swiss German. The vocabulary is very easy to learn--but the grammar is a bear. I love the way you can just stick a bunch of words together and make a new word.

It has been suggested that the only language that Shakespeare can be translated into and keep much of its original power, is German.

And Germans put real whipped cream on everything.

Love German! Love it! Love it!

Now Swedish--there is a difficult language. That and the Lutefisk.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5860384

Shakespeare into German, huh? Shoot, you could probably have a lot of one word iambic pentameter in German...frightening thought.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
4:33 AM

Post #5860393

Ute Lemper sings Shakespeare. I would buy it!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5860418

Hmmm. I might. On a dare.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

December 5, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5860468

You thrill seeker, you.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5862027

Catscan, I'm live in Texas but I'm from CA. Being an American in Canada cannot be any worse. I've lived here for 15 years but I love to listen to conversations going on around me about how the Californians have ruined Texas and nobody knows I'm from CA. I just sit there and shake my head but inside I'm laughing up a storm.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 5, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5862046

{{{{they haaave...}}}}
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5868269

Whew, I'm glad to finally have that cleared up because when I first moved here they blamed everything on the Yankees.
meg_e
Dallas, TX

December 8, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #5869628

A guy at my feed and seed store who can usually give me good chicken advice suggested putting apple cider vinegar in their water for about 1 month. He said it helps clean out their system. I had just purchased my 3 pullets from a local farmer out East and I noticed that they had an odd odor and one had some nose drainage. After I week the drainage and the odor cleared up. Its not like a miracle cure or anything but I was pleased with the results. Then I did a powdered antibiotic to their water for about a week. But I was really happy with the apple cidar vinegar and thought I would pass the tid bit on. Kind of a good system flush!
I put about 1/2 - 1 tsp to 1 quart of water.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America