Silly pineapple question

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

My DH and I got into a discussion today at lunch, and I'm guessing someone here knows the answer:

What do you call a mature pineapple-producing plant? Is it a bush? A tree? Or something else entirely?

Thanks for setting us straight!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Neither. Actually, pineapples are a type of bromeliad. Easily grown at home, just cut off the tops and put in a glass of water until it grows roots, then pop 'em in the ground (or a pot, in colder areas).

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

I've been wanting to try that, with a little winter protection and a lot of extra water in our arid climate, it should do fine here.

But still, when your kids ask you if a pineapple grows on a tree, what do you tell them?

Saint Petersburg, FL

Well, I don't have kids myself, so I'm never really sure how to answer their questions...

But I do remember my mom explaining it to me, when I was little, and I asked. She told me it was the darndest thing she'd ever seen, driving by a pineapple plantation. Told me how there were these low growing, spiky plants, and the little pineapple fruits just sitting on top of 'em like little hats.

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Maybe: They grow on plants that look like the tops, but bigger. And the top IS a baby plant, that can grow big, and after a whole year, grows a stem up out of the middle, with a pineapple fruit, with a baby plant on top of that.

And endless daisy chain, going back in Time. A philosophical concept that amuses me... Go ahead, confuse the children!

Mm

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

So, I guess I'll just tell 'em it grows on a pineapple plant! Not a bush, not a tree, not a vine--just a plant!

Thanks, all, for the help! Next time I get a fresh one, I'm going to give this a shot--sounds like fun!

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

You might have to plant it. Make sure the littlest leave coming out of the top aren't loose. If they're well stuck, it's still alive. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.