-
AuthorContent
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5841551

My DH and I got into a discussion today at lunch, and I'm guessing someone here knows the answer:

What do you call a mature pineapple-producing plant? Is it a bush? A tree? Or something else entirely?

Thanks for setting us straight!
carolyn_haack
Saint Petersburg, FL

November 30, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5842687

Neither. Actually, pineapples are a type of bromeliad. Easily grown at home, just cut off the tops and put in a glass of water until it grows roots, then pop 'em in the ground (or a pot, in colder areas).
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5843001

I've been wanting to try that, with a little winter protection and a lot of extra water in our arid climate, it should do fine here.

But still, when your kids ask you if a pineapple grows on a tree, what do you tell them?
carolyn_haack
Saint Petersburg, FL

November 30, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5844715

Well, I don't have kids myself, so I'm never really sure how to answer their questions...

But I do remember my mom explaining it to me, when I was little, and I asked. She told me it was the darndest thing she'd ever seen, driving by a pineapple plantation. Told me how there were these low growing, spiky plants, and the little pineapple fruits just sitting on top of 'em like little hats.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 1, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5847045

Maybe: They grow on plants that look like the tops, but bigger. And the top IS a baby plant, that can grow big, and after a whole year, grows a stem up out of the middle, with a pineapple fruit, with a baby plant on top of that.

And endless daisy chain, going back in Time. A philosophical concept that amuses me... Go ahead, confuse the children!

Mm
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5848220

So, I guess I'll just tell 'em it grows on a pineapple plant! Not a bush, not a tree, not a vine--just a plant!

Thanks, all, for the help! Next time I get a fresh one, I'm going to give this a shot--sounds like fun!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 1, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5848232

You might have to plant it. Make sure the littlest leave coming out of the top aren't loose. If they're well stuck, it's still alive. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America