Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Beautiful corporate plantings: :-)

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful corporate plantings
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful corporate plantingsReplies: 7, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2008
6:52 AM

Post #5843320

Thanks for a well thought-out article and for sharing all those inspiring photos! It's remarkable how much impact even a single tree or clump of flowers can have.

Inside plants are good too, where allowed -- and a window isn't necessarily required. I had a thriving pothos in a windowless basement office, lit only by ceiling fluorescent fixtures!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #5843565

A very nice article.
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 30, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5843823

our school playground is a sad dirt trampled area- the enviornmental club planted a few rosemary plants and butterfly bushes and it really helps--a little here and a little there and it changes the whole look! thanks for the article

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5844694

I often admire or cringe at commercial areas, depending on the plantings. I think it reflects a lot on the business. In that respect I shudder at many of our public school facilities. planolinda, kudos to your env. club.

And if you happen to be visiting a facility on the day they prune, you might pick up some rootable trimmings. I was dying to ask for some of the discarded pots when the guys were planting but I was too busy. I would also love if they'd bring me the "old" mulch they rake off from the trees. The landscape employees could and possibly do make good use of some of the discard material.
Aunt_A

December 1, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5845860

critterologist,
Thanks for reading and commenting and for your kind words. Sometimes the beauty outside the windows helped keep me sane; esp. if I feel like work is a cage. LOL.

You are right; Mitch gave me a plant and I'm thinking about taking it to work with me so it can enjoy the warm office this winter.

April

Dutchlady1,

Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it.

April

planolinda,

So very true; a little here and a little there and we change the environment. Perhaps a child will develop an appreciation for plants along the way. Thanks for reading and commenting.

April

sallyg,

That reminds me of what happened here in Tulsa about 20 to 25 years ago. A corporation advertised that they were pulling out the Iris for the end of the season and that the Iris would be given away free; first come, first served.

Judging by the lines of unruly Tulsans; you would have thought they were giving away gold coins. My mom and I waited for a long time. However, people butted out of line and ran up to grab the Iris. Mom and I left empty handed. I've never seen such an advertisement since. Wonder why (NOT) ^_^

I think a lot of the plants that are pulled out are simply tossed and that is a shame.

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

April
Aunt_A

December 1, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5845878

Dutchlady1,

Happy Birthday, too! :-)

April
numbercruncher51
Herrin, IL

December 2, 2008
10:30 AM

Post #5850158

Several years ago, the bank where I worked had the geraniums removed at the end of the summer so they could put in temporary mums. I worked in the basement and was unaware of what was going on, but thankfully, my sweet husband was making a deposit that day and asked the nursery people if he could have the old plants. Long story short, those discards are blooming their heads off on my enclosed porch this very minute and will most certainly continue to do so all winter long just as they have every year since that time. I've started hundreds of plants from cuttings off those guys and they go to our garden club plant sale each spring to brighten other people's homes and raise money for the club activities. It sure pays to be in the right place at the right time. By the way, my daughter lives in Tulsa and loves it.
Aunt_A

December 3, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5852469

numbercruncher51,

Thanks for writing and commenting! That is a wonderful story; I am so glad you saved the day for those beauties. Tulsa is a great place to live; she would probably recognize a lot of the places in the pics.

April

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful corporate plantings Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Christmas Decorations CountryGardens 1 Dec 1, 2008 1:44 AM
Plantings for work. sli736 1 Dec 4, 2008 5:07 PM
Corporate Plantings sli736 2 Dec 4, 2008 5:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America