Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles How-to's: I have a question.

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 6, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

November 30, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5843596

I have a question. Please, let me know, what are the criteria for the species to be accepted as new for the PlanFiles?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

November 30, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5844030

There are several different posts on DG that deal with this, but I decided to find them and post the key points here so they were all together. I hope this answers your questions.

Within PlantFiles we require that all entries meet one of the following criteria:

1) All species must be recognized and cited within the American Horticultural Society or Royal Horticultural Society encyclopedias; Hortus Third, or the Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN) database) at ars-grin.gov, the Missouri Botanical Garden's MOBOT.org site, or other standard reference materials or websites.

2) All cultivars must be registered with an International Cultivar Registration Authorities (ICRA) designated registry (if one exists for the genus); or they should be patented or trademarked.

3) Cultivars (and species, subspecies, species crosses, forms and varieties) that cannot meet the second criteria must be widely available on a commercial or passalong basis, with references (citations) in other databases or reference materials. A single reference (especially when it's the hybridizer, eBay seller or vendor) is not adequate to establish the plant's legitimacy.

We use these criteria to make sure PlantFiles can serve as a reliable reference for readers to look up and identify plants. Allowing entries for unnamed seedlings or unverifiable names will undermine the accuracy and overall helpfulness of PlantFiles.

Abbreviations
The following abbreviations are used in PlantFiles: We use these so all entries are in the same format which allows the search engine to find all potential entries. If we had some with ssp. and someone searched for subsp., the entries with ssp. wouldn't show up in the search results.

variety = var.
subspecies = subsp.
forma = f.

All entries are limited to ternary (or trinomial) names.

In simpler terms, this means that beyond the species level, separate entries for subspecies, forma, OR varietas are acceptable, but any nomenclature divisions beyond that will be rolled back up into the "parent" trinomial name entry.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

November 30, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5844184

Joan, thank you for the real comprehensive reply! It happend, that I overlooked those posts.

The key points you were so kind to post could be the handy guide for anyone refering to the PlantFiles How-to's forum.

lorigarzz
Windsor, SC

May 30, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6618451

I have two tulip trees that are 5 years old and i don't ever have any flowers on them. do all tulip trees have flowers? i have looked on the top and all but never have seen anything. i live in south carolina about 25 miles from augusta, ga.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6618558

For future refernce, this type of question should be posted in the Beginning gardeners forum or Plant ID forum. To answer your question, There are at least 45 different plants called Tulip trees . All of them bloom. Most popular is the Tulip Poplar ( Liriodendron tulipifera) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1031/. If this is what you have, 5 years is just a sapling, it has a few years to go. The Saucer Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana) is also sometimes called the Tulip Tree. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2452/ The others are more exotic, but a google of Tulip Trres will alert you to thier actual species.
darcanada2012
sault ste marie, ON

June 24, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9179390

Well this is probably in the wrong spot.. new at this and don't know where is goes.. The question is What can I plant under pine trees, with lots of needles and roots? There are lots of trees on my property and tree roots all over the place.. Can anyone help me get started?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9179711

I would suggest posting your question in the Beginner Landscaping forum--that is a better place for it and you'll get more answers there than you will here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_landscaping/all/

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America