Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Winter project, who knows about epoxy grout?

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 31, Views: 866
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
noknok
Ulster Park, NY

November 30, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5844121

Hi, never posted here before and this is my first mosaic job.

I was going to use black thin-set for grout, but I've heard about epoxy grout
though not enough to know if I can use it. I tested thin-set on the bottom.
It's ok, but this will be outdoors half the year, so I might want something even stronger.

Also, because of all the ups and downs, it's a pretty crude surface, a squeegee
immediately got roughed up by all the sharp edges and corners.
When I do the whole thing, I was going to try to get it on very thickly
and wait an hour to sponge it, and use a dremel to "dig out" the mirrors>
Any advice here from any of you adepts would be hugely welcome!

Thumbnail by noknok
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greyma
Mukwonago, WI

December 12, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5883435

never used mirrors, but I think you don't have to dremmel them out. I've pressed the grout in with the palm of my gloved hand (like pressing cement into wire mesh), then wipe away with a very wrung out rag. wait a bit and you can wipe away the dust left on the tiles.

as usual you've outdone yourself!!! what a fun project!! will she reside in one of your gardens?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #5883687

Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous. What a great idea. Can't wait to see the final outcome. Good work.
Jan
noknok
Ulster Park, NY

December 12, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5885680

Greyma, thanks!
I'd better use some really hefty gloves, or maybe try not to stroke, just press?
Well, I still have the hands and face to deal with (not looking forward to it).
I'd almost want the grout to "stand out" in her case, not be flush or slightly concave
like normal grout.
Have you tried epoxy grout?

Yes, she will be in the darkest area of an old, unpruned orchard, where it's always cool
and shady. There are a few other mirror things in there, it really works.
I hope she'll spook the daylights out of the deer!
Jan, thanks, do you really bead gourds?
Here's how far I've got.

Thumbnail by noknok

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5885775

Yep, just go to ornamental gourds and you can see some of my work. Here is one that was published in Bead and Button magazine

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

noknok
Ulster Park, NY

December 12, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5885875

Oh Lordymuffins!
I didn't know about this forum. Looked at your latest amazing Christensen-inspired job, wow!
Is that wax you're building bas relief with? and setting the beads in? With tweezers?
What size beads are those? (I have billions of 60 beads we use for beaded bags)

Do you use any kind of grout to finish? What happens if they get hot?

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5887840

Yes it is beeswax that I sculpt to form and then push each bead, one at a time into the wax. I don't apply anything one it is done as the wax holds the beads in place. You don't want to display any of then in a sunny window as it is wax. However, they will stand the years of time if kept it a good location as any work of art. You don't display any works of art in direct sun. Here is a photo of bead application with a tool that I make from a tpin that is covered with fimo clay for easy handling. The project that I am working on in the photo is of a white buffalo. The gourd is huge. I can't even put my arms around it. I will send you some photos of it on your dmail.
Jan

This message was edited Dec 13, 2008 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 16, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5899238

Wooaaaaa! Amazing stuff!!!
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

December 19, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5906488

Did you find out anything about the epoxy grout? Does that mean that it is water proof? I need a waterproof grout also but it seems to be a great mystery - I can't even find a name brand on pond sites...hhhuuuummm. Please let me know what you find. I'd hate to have my floor under and my walls inside my shower mosaic rot and have to pull everything up...or worse yet ...go through the floor in a few years:( Thanks...
barrell
Tunkhannock, PA

December 19, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5909194

Looks very cool but what is the manequin made out of? The couple manequins I have in my clothing store are made out of some kind of paper mache and would definalty fall apart if I left them outside.
noknok
Ulster Park, NY

December 20, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5910530

Hi again, other winter work intruded.

No news about epoxy grout as yet, I'm going to ask on the garden art forum,
I'll let you know what i find out.

The mannekin is made of some very dense wood fiber, she's pretty heavy.
I'm counting on the "goop", the grout and maybe a sealer.
I was going to permanently attach all parts, but may opt for some kind of
rubber gasket instead.
Also, I'll be watching her :o)

Here's the "other winter work", 200 bags we need to finish in the next week or two.

Thumbnail by noknok

planolinda
Plano, TX

December 23, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5921658

i bought a bunch of beautiful tapestry samples and want to make bags or purses--can you show a close up of your bags and give me any tips please
somersetsue
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2009
7:32 AM

Post #6022800

noknok...have you finished that beautiful creature that you've been working on yet???? I'm really looking forward to seeing her finished!!!

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009 11:32 PM
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 19, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6023372

me too noknok!
invermontdirt
Lyndonville, VT

January 21, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6030607

Hello I am steve from Vermont a fulltime tile setter, work with epoxy all the time, There are many manufactures of epoxy grout, I would rather work with Spectra lok, made by latticrete, often sold at Lowes, its a sand of a color and an A plus B mix,three parts, Epoxy is waterproof, Stain proof and bullet proof, Its only enemy is exterme heat, which will soften it. You must work in small sections and make sure you get the residue off it as you go, If you decide to go this way, I am open for questions...Steve
noknok
Ulster Park, NY

January 23, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6038609

Hi everybody, massive extra work dumped on me is taking all my waking hours.
My web site was hacked (and outdated anyway) and I've got a couple of thousand
images to take, find, edit, the whole tedious catastrophy.
The bags are almost there, but we've had some supply delays. Nights we're ripping
silk flowers for Faerie bodices while watching "Dexter", hehe.

I'll post some pictures when I get the bags done Planolinda, I don't have any finished ones left.
Appliqued pieces, raw edges covered with various trims can work really well.

I got a little further on my lady before the deluge. The face scared me for a while.
I found the easiest way was to use full tiles til they had to be cut, then filling in with
specially cut ones, the exact opposite of what i had planned, which was doing the
pokey areas first.

I gave up on the epoxy grout, never had time to ask on the gardenart forum, and the only
instructions I could find for Spectra lok online were in Spanish. Lowes had the stuff, but no
instructions: -it was "a box of this and a box of that", no ratios for smaller amounts. And as
for advice on the handling/technique, zilch.
I bought some standard indoor/outdoor grout that I'm very familiar with, from a place that
"works with me" for years. (And then the work hit)
On that note, Steve, I can still return the stuff if I get convinced I can do the epoxy grout
successfully. So I appreciate your offer. I hear it's very sticky and hard to work with.

I'm down to the hands (ugh! not much space between those fingers!) and finishing the
"crown/petals whatever". I will be filling in the insides of the petals with patching concrete.

I don't foresee any career in mosaics coming up, the only way I got through this was with
D.D.s spare ipod full of books on tape (very funny one, new to me, by Douglas Adams, on
traveling the world in pursuit of endangered animal species!)
Here she is as far as I got.

Thumbnail by noknok

scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

January 23, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6040940

invermontdirt - hi steve - would you have any idea how to tile a koi pond so that the fish won't die from the chemicals used to set the tile????
invermontdirt
Lyndonville, VT

January 23, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6042039

Howdy scarediecat, The only grout you should use is epoxy, its is totally waterproof and when cured is not toxic at all. It will provide you with a watertight unit that is sealed like a jacuzzi tub or swimming pool. It is what we use in the industry for showers, tubs, jacuzzis and hot tubs. It is really not as scary as people think to install, it is however much more expensive than standard grout. But you gain in a incredible product, There will be no access to the mortar for your water, I have ceramic tile countertops and food obviously comes in contact all the time, wipes off clean and its not dangerous to the food, and they are epoxy grout. If you have anymore questions just ask away!...Steve
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

January 26, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6053032

Ok, thanks so much. I have seen the A+B mixes at Lowes but stayed away from them because I didn't know what I was doing and at that price I didn't want to make a mistake. Now I know and in the Spring I will put those mixes to work on my pond (and shower stall)!! Thanks again.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 27, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6056162

noknok,
Wow, this is really a beautiful and artistic project and just nice to be able to see it come along and seeing how it is made.

Thanks for sharing this.

edited for spelling: also, I've not tried the epoxy yet, have some for the backsplash, but it is still in the box and bucket.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 9:03 PM
byholmes
Sacramento, CA

February 10, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6121455

Oh my Goodness, I just came across this wonderful mirror lady. Did you finish? I have plans to do a mannequin and put it outside. Does it have to be an epoxy grout for outside or can I just seal it well? This lady is fantastic!
invermontdirt
Lyndonville, VT

February 10, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6121557

No it doesn't have to be, but any movement in the joints will fracture the grout and over the long haul regular grout will break down, with water and the elements...Steve
barrell
Tunkhannock, PA

February 11, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6121657

By Holmes, You can not put a paper manequin outside. When doing mosaics you have to choose a durable base or you are just waisting a ton of money and time on something that will fall apart if left outside. Now if kept inside a paper mache manequin would be fine. They do make high end manequins out of fiberglass which would last outside but they are $1,000 and up. A nude in concrete would be excelant.
Loveshorses
Payson, AZ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
6:40 AM

Post #6159308

Noknok, you have brought life to a simple manican. How clever you are!!!! She is beautiful!!!!! WOW!!!!!The dear won't be frightened by her, they will think she is an angel!!!! They will probably eat the entire CROP.
podpicker
North Waterboro, ME

March 25, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6315846

Hi all,
I am brand new to Dave's Garden. I love doing mosaic, and gardening, so this group is amazing to me!! Here is a flowerpot I just created. I love the mirror-woman!! I love the bowling balls! I will get involved here! I live in southern Maine.
Brigit

Thumbnail by podpicker

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6320187

Welcome to Dave's Pod. You will love it here. There is so much to learn and share. Very nice pot by the way!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 26, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6320365

Welcome to DG, and venu is right, you will love it here, there are several forums that have tons of information, from gardening to decluttering the house... anyway. Welcome, and I agree, very nice pot you made there.
A.
podpicker
North Waterboro, ME

March 26, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #6321097

Thanks for your welcomes! Sometimes it is lonely on social networks as folks do not reply.
This is my first year to be a seed starter. Maybe I should start a thread on this. Now that I've said that I think I will!
Very exciting to me, I just learned that my mosaic pot won an art glass award!
Thanks for your welcome,
brigit
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 5, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8408863

That is amazing! Not sure if you have solved the problem with grout yet, and I cannot advise what to use for your climate, but I would do a small area of grout at a time, because you may have problems cleaning it off? I did a shell pot mosaic and learned my lesson. The grout stuck to the rough shells and grooves. Perhaps it will be easier with the glass tiles?
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8409953

I also extend my welcome to you podpicker. The manniquan is wonderful. You could get a ton of money for it if you wanted to sell it. If only I had her I would never ever sell her. By the way where exactly did you find her? It sounds like they are very expensive. Plus all those tiles of course. Did you find the tiles at a good price? If you did would you tell me where?
Beloning to Dave's Garden presents almost endless possibitys for learning about an ednless number of subjects. I love it here.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8410279

noknok
your lady is wonderful.. and so are the lurking things in the background looks like a great place to work
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 8, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9234688

[quote="noknok"]Hi everybody, massive extra work dumped on me is taking all my waking hours.
My web site was hacked (and outdated anyway) and I've got a couple of thousand
images to take, find, edit, the whole tedious catastrophy.
The bags are almost there, but we've had some supply delays. Nights we're ripping
silk flowers for Faerie bodices while watching "Dexter", hehe.

I'll post some pictures when I get the bags done Planolinda, I don't have any finished ones left.
Appliqued pieces, raw edges covered with various trims can work really well.

I got a little further on my lady before the deluge. The face scared me for a while.
I found the easiest way was to use full tiles til they had to be cut, then filling in with
specially cut ones, the exact opposite of what i had planned, which was doing the
pokey areas first.

I gave up on the epoxy grout, never had time to ask on the gardenart forum, and the only
instructions I could find for Spectra lok online were in Spanish. Lowes had the stuff, but no
instructions: -it was "a box of this and a box of that", no ratios for smaller amounts. And as
for advice on the handling/technique, zilch.
I bought some standard indoor/outdoor grout that I'm very familiar with, from a place that
"works with me" for years. (And then the work hit)
On that note, Steve, I can still return the stuff if I get convinced I can do the epoxy grout
successfully. So I appreciate your offer. I hear it's very sticky and hard to work with.

I'm down to the hands (ugh! not much space between those fingers!) and finishing the
"crown/petals whatever". I will be filling in the insides of the petals with patching concrete.

I don't foresee any career in mosaics coming up, the only way I got through this was with
D.D.s spare ipod full of books on tape (very funny one, new to me, by Douglas Adams, on
traveling the world in pursuit of endangered animal species!)
Here she is as far as I got.[/quote]

I would never attempt anything like this unless I knew I could do it as good as this. It truly is a work of art! Love it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America