Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cameras and Photography: question on Sony camera lens

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 7, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5847477

My father has a Sony 10MP digital SLR camera. We got it for him for his birthday and he loves it. Pardon my ignorance here, I am not versed in 'camera' language, but it came with a telephoto lens as well as the normal lens. Now he is asking for a telescopic lens for Christmas but when we went to the electronics store they didn't know what we were asking for. Unfortunately neither do we, and we want it to be a surprise so we don't want to ask dad. Can anyone help me out here? My mom can get the details on the lenses we already have if you need them. I think the telephoto is like a 70-300.

Thanks! Kim
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5850332

Maybe I am showing my ignorance but I thought the words telephoto and telescopic were the same. Perhaps he is wanting a wide angle lens or a macro lens?
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5850362

I think you'll have to gather more information on what exactly he wants since telescopic doesn't ring a bell for me. Could be a push/pull telephoto zoom lens, camera adapter for a telescope,...

blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5850478

That's ok, that is what the electronics person told us as well. I believe what he wants is to be able to zoom closer to far away objects. His telephoto lens does a good job but he wants to get closer. A lot of times he is trying to take pictures of birds and wildlife that are far away. Does anyone know what he might need to do this?

Thanks!
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5850746

LOL the misery of Wildlife Photography, no matter how big the lens is, it still won't be big enough :)

- How much money are you willing to spend?
- Any issues with weight? super telephoto lenses can get very heavy
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5850827

Hmmm...we are on a bit of a budget. The other lens cost about $300, we could probably do that. But much more would be out of our range. He does like to take his camera on hikes, so weight may be an issue. Perhaps we will just have to wait until after Christmas.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5851047

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but $300 won't be enough for any new lens in the above 300mm focal length range.

For around 1000USD there is the Sigma 50-500mm which is a good Wildlife lens but I don't know how well it performs on the SONY Alpha SLRs. It's not a lightweight at 4lbs but that's pretty much unavoidable at that focal length.

There is also the brand new SONY 70-400mm but I don't think it's on sale yet and it surely will be rather expensive as a G (Gold/Pro) lens.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5874819

Don't rule out the used market. Also, the Sony Alpha series of DSLR's can also take any of the autofocus Minolta film camera lenses, such as those used by the Minolta Maxxum series of film SLR's. I use a Tamron Autofocus 28-105mm f/4-5.6 (IF) lens, intended for Minolta film SLR's. I picked up as a great deal on Amazon. That's not enough zoom for what he's wanting, but there are good deals out there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America