Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #135 - HO! HO! HO!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 173, Views: 1,464
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5851581

We are continued from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/926321/

This message was edited Dec 2, 2008 3:12 PM

Thumbnail by joycet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5851599

Thanks Joyce for the new page, doesn't really affect me anymore, but we still have to consider the dialuppers.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5851629

uhg i just posted on the other thread
LOL
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5851796

I've been out to take the garbage to the dump; roads are becoming iffy since it's sleeting now and 32º.

Stopped at my neighbor's and had her take my mug shot. I'll spare you the gory shot of the bruising inside my mouth... it makes the outside look almost like I was having fun!

Thumbnail by darius

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008

Post #5851798

I haven't done much today, had to go to the bank and post office, and stop by the grocery. Came home and made a pot of chili, and did some laundry. After supper, I need to go up in the attic and drag down some Christmas decorations. I wasn't going to put up a tree, but remembered this morning that I am hosting the Bible Study group tomorrow night, so will do a little decorating, so they won't think I am completely anti Christmas. Remind me not to host anything in the month of December next year.

Now I need to head to the kitchen to find something to call supper.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5851801

Wow Darius, you did a number on that jaw and chin. I can just imagne what the inside looks like. Are you able to eat anything, or are you still just drinking? Hope it goes away soon.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5851811

Bonnie, I can eat soft things already but will probably do some high protein liquids for another day or two.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5852611

Hi everyone!
Darius...wow! You look like someone sucker punched you...big time!!! If the inside of your mouth looks worsel...you are in bad shape!! I hope you feel better soon! That black and blue is the way my legs looked after surgery!!
Sue...we are on a well also. I doubt whether it's new or not makes a difference? I understand the water all around the Northern, Western, and Eastern parts here is awful! Most everyone around here uses the whole house water filters. It is installed BEFORE the water softner. Uh...what I am trying to say is this: First the water filter...then the softener, in the water line before it gets to the faucets. There are different kinds of the whole house filters. Some take out different things. You can check them online or at Walmart too. It certainly has made a BIG difference in the taste and smell of our water! And when we need a new one...well...one time of turning on the water will tell you!!
Well...I couldn't stand it any longer here. I built a fire today in the woodstove. I was COLD!! Dave was at work...so I decided to get it warm in here!! Sure feels good!!!
Made a big pot of chicken veggie soup for supper...and that was good too!
Nothing much else going on here!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5852769

Sue like Marcy says you need a specific filter.
The water softener just takes out the hardness (lime) in the water.
You need a water conditioner.
We had high iron water in B'Creek.
That filter was a Brute!
For sulfer not so bad... it does need to be whole house but AFTER the yard water.
No sense wasting conditioned water.

Darius you look like Cr...
But better than I figured.
That was SOME whallop!

Robyn got creative...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #5852877

Good evening, I got all the Christmas decorations out, and have done what decorating I am going to do. I have a little table top tree, and I am using that, a centerpiece for the dining room table, one for the coffee table, candles on 3 other tables in the living room, hung a wreath on my door, red velvet ribbons on my coach lights on the porch, and will pick up some garland tomorrow, and put up some lights around the front door. That is it!! DGD will have a cow, but unless she wants to do it herself, then this is as good as it will get here this year.

Robin sure went for the color on that one side of the closet. Ric, I think this was intended for you, now she can say, the so and so is in the red closet!! We females tend to have to give detailed directions to where items can be found. hehehe.

Joyce, if you and Dusty get into trouble, please know that there will be no fund started her to bail you all out of jail!! Please send me Bertie's phone number, I have to clue her in and advise her not to hang out with the 2 of you.

Well tomorrow is grocery/errand day, and I was planning on stopping by the hospital to see DMIL, but seem to have a touch of an intestinal thing going on, so will not carry anything in to her. There are enough germs floating around the hospital this time of year, without me carrying more into her.

Will catch up tomorrow when I am home again.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5854018

Good morning everyone. Is it cold or what ?
OH darius that really looks painful . You poor thing. :(
Thanks Ric and Marcy on the info . will get DH to read your posts. So he can understand what i m telling him LOLLLL
Bonnie come on girl get in the mood !!! yeah i know this year is kinda weird one , isn't it ? Its Dec already ? !!2 yikes where did Oct go ?
Marcy glad your warm. Wood stove sounds really nice.
got a pork shoulder in the crock pot and will add salsa verde at the end to make a taco stuffing. yummmmy. To bad i can't find a decent corn tortilla in any stores. Hmmm maybe a jungle jims run ? !! :( the ones i do find are in packs of 100 LOLLLL i don't think i can eat that many tacos. Gonna have to learn to make my own.
take care
stay warm
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5854038

Oh, Darius, ouch. :(

We went to a local restaurant/bar for dinner last night, and then spent some time at Caribou playing dominoes and visiting. Gwen, Howie and I almost drove poor Nancy to distraction. When she plays a game, she wants to play a game, not visit and talk. All three of us drove her nuts. LOL Then Howie's brother Greg showed up, our friend Ivana dropped by and they both played...So there was even more conversation! :D Poor Nancy didn't have a chance.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5854054

Darius! That looks awful! I hope some of the muscle aches are going away now. South Beach diet makes some powder you can add to water. It's a protein drink but it tastes like Kool-Aid. Don't forget about Ensure too. They are pretty good cold. I've had too much time to find protein in odd places. LOL

I wondered why I was not getting updates here. Apparently I've not posted or watched this thread. Whoops!

I stayed busy a few days making barrettes and baby clips. We've also been working on straightening up the house. I guess I need to break down and finish up the drywall around the kitchen door. Ugh. It's more fun busting out stuff than fixing it. ;) With the kids home for 6 days, we got through bedrooms and amassed a ton of laundry plus another 55 gallon tub of things to take to the garage.

I'm sorry I left some of you worrying. I've had a stomach but the last few days and thankfully feel better today. The baby end of things is going fine. Thanks to several DGers, my new baby has a good six months of wardrobe. :) He STILL needs a name!

My good friend, that got pregnant right after me, had some bad results from testing then her sonogram showed that her baby's foot is messed up-at least club foot. Her little foot and knee are turned in pretty badly. Her baby will probably have to be casted right after birth and maybe have surgery right away. I'm trying to get through my girl baby stuff to see how I can help her and cheer her up. We are not sure what the baby will be able to wear. Neither of us has ever had to dress a baby with a cast!

Oh well, Maddie is gone to preschool for the next couple of hours so I'm going to see what I can get done.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5854389

Yes Ric...that is the way our filter is ...so the softened water doesn't go outside. Love the color Robyn!!
Darius, hope you are feeling some better today? And Bonnie and Chele as well? Seems there is a lot of this stuff going around!
Well...have to make a run to Wally again...to get the BP meds...At least I hope they are in? Have to call first.
First we are cleaning house though. And have to figure out something for supper too?
Guess I better get busy here. Hope you all have a wonderful day...and keep warm!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5854493

OH ((((Darius)))) I hope that looks worse than it feels! Poor Baby.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5854700

Thanks, my bruising does feel a tad better today. Now if I could only sleep better...

A local friend called earlier... he had some venison for me. When I drove down to get it, there were 4 shoulders, 2 legs, 10" of tenderloin... plus he had about a dozen dressed, frozen rainbow trout from a local spring-fed pond for me. I haven't had decent fish in a long time... yippee!

My sister just came home... she got laid off, and I'm pretty sure it is not the economy in her case. She's worked there (CPA firm) just over 3 months, has missed 6 full days of work and been half a day late at least twice. Sigh.

Well, today's payday so I'm off to get groceries and some quart jars to can the turkey stock.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5854769

Bonnie I 'WISH' that was how Robyn gave directions.
Her answer currently is "In the Pantry or in the Cupboard"...
We have 3 Pantries and 8 Cupboards... and they already have different colors...
Course if I asked her which color she would have to go see...
and could get it for me... LOL!

Ric
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5854884

Sounds like you hit the jackpot, Darius!!

Dusty took the carcass from the turkey and said she was going to make something wonderful with it...I haven't heard any wonderfulness coming from next door yet... ;o)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5855080

That is because it is in the freezer awaiting me to have some quality time to spend with it... ;-P
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5855144

I guess I'll smell it when you start it simmering!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5855177

Oh, my, Darius, what a horrible bruise! I pray you heal fast. How nice that you got all that fresh venison and fish--eating well can help your healing.
Hey, what kind of position did your sister have at the CPA firm? I'm so desparate for work that I've been searching online for jobs in other states. Nobody wants to give new paralegal grads a chance--and I graduated back in March, so I'm not so new of a grad anymore, just a very frustrated one! I would even live in my tent for a while, if I could have a good job! Your sister just doesn't know how much she should appreciate having work in this economy.

Chele, glad to hear you and baby are doing well, but so sorry to hear about your friend's baby's problem. Good that they can treat that in infancy, so she'll have an excellent chance at recovery.
Ric, and Robyn, you never cease to amaze us--great job!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5855262

Chelle good things are going good. Glad to see you posting, we missed you. :) glad your feeling better too.
I got foux BBQ in the slow cooker . I made the suace myself. Hope for the best. LOL
got the upstairs vacumed and kids room cleaned and rearranged
Oh Dusty tv is in the living room *wink* LOLLLLL
KY i sure hope you find somehting soon. That bites. T&P for you.
made bread pudding last night . I used my pumpkin spice creamer instead of milk , turned out pretty good.
Darius what a score you got !!! way to go on the fish too.
Gw to funny on the game and your friend. reminds me of Will and Grace when they do game night with their friends LOLLL
Well got to get some things done around here.
ttyl
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5855663

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig.

Got in early this am. I got delayed in Denver for 5 hours. They overbooked the flight so I got in on the red eye from Las Vegas. It was not that bad cause I got a nice voucher from United for $300 bucks since I let them reroute me. I was by myself so it was no hassle.
I am tired though and slept til 1 this afternoon when Oprah woke me up crawling across me to take her out. The time changes really get me.

Darius put some ice on that bruise! That's a hum-dinger!

Will talk more soon.

((((((((((((((Hugs Everybody))))))))))))))))

Toni

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5855703

KyWoods, you have dmail.

Our sunny temps got up to 60º today and I did all my Christmas shopping! (I only have to buy for my sis and The Kid.) I also got a free 50' garden hose at Sears to replace the one I ran over with the lawn mower. I bought 3 of those about 15 years ago and they have a lifetime guarantee no matter what you do to them... don't even need the receipt to exchange a damaged one. This one must make about 5 they have replaced due to negligence on my part. The mall with the Sears store is 50 miles from here so I don't get down there but about twice a year.

Sounds like everyone else is well and chugging right along...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5855785

Oh, Toni, aren't those flight vouchers great? We missed a connecting flight on the way home from visiting Lisa when she was still in Louisiana, and the airline put us up in a nice hotel and paid for dinner and breakfast. The next morning, we volunteered to be bumped to a later flight back to Ohio, so we received vouchers. Howie couldn't take time off work, so I went to visit Lisa on my own the next fall, flying for free. I'll gladly get bumped if it doesn't mess with others' plans or my pocketbook.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5856377

Well I took our company truck in for a repair estimate.
Steering, Clutch and it turns out Brakes too..
8500 Bucks!
It seems we are going to Plan B... LOL!

Renee I asked my Sisters to be on the lookout for anyone at Meade needing a Para...

Off to the FPR..

Ric
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5856386

Thanks, Ric, I appreciate you thinking of me! Wow, too bad about the truck--yikes!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5856485

You're Welcome!
And it's not MY Truck.
I'm just the one who has to drive it.
And I won't on the HWY again... too much steering play...
It will be OK for between shops trips though.
I'm hoping they will just replace it...BIG Trucks are cheap these days...

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5856557

Have had a long day today, grocery/errand day, with a stop by the hospital to see DMIL. She was sleeping so I didn't disturb her, but did get to talk to her nurse. I am sure that she was skating on thin ice with the HIPPA laws, but I explained my DH was the power of attorney, and he hadn't been able to talk to the Dr, and didn't always ask the right questions when he was able to talk to him. So she gave me more information than we have been able to get from any of the hospital staff. I did promise that I would share the info with only DH, and then he could decide how much to share with his siblings.

I think the only things they are doing is trying to make her comfortable. She did tell me that there was a probability that if that bed in critical care was needed, they would probably move her to a private room.

Yikes, Ric, that is many $$ for the truck repair, sure am glad that I don't have to pony up that amount.

Welcome back Toni, sounds like you had a fun visit and circuitous route home. But for a $300 voucher, a pretty good deal.

Off to read some other threads, ~~~~ to everybody I didn't address.

Hey, Jazzy, check in and tell us what is going on with you and the little terrorists!!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5856750

Hi guys, Just a quick note since i am at work. First Darious ouch ouch ouch..I am gald that you are feeling better.

secondly venison,. We cook it up all the time. I make burgers and have a great loin recipe. We also foudn that anything that works with Lamb works with venison. It usualy isn' gamey in Ohio. All corn fed.. lol

thirdly terrorists.. Joel took them out for their first "Field trip and took pictures.. I just haven't had a chance to get them off the camera..I will soon I promise Bonnie!

Waves to everyone.. Dusty glad you are somewhere good now!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5856793

Jazz, good to hear from you. DH is hunting Digger and Bandit, and will be taking our 3 terrorists out in a couple of weeks. Digger and Bandit are doing good with the hunting, and DH brags on them every time he hunts them. Digger is the better at hunting, but Bandit is hanging in there. He is a much gentler dog, just gonna take him a little longer to get it all down.

Thanks for checking in, now if we could hear from Melissa, then the gang would have all checked in.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #5856913

Evening yall...Sorry I'm somewhat speechless tonight...I didn't get a call to go to work tomorrow, after having been off today...VERY strange...I had paperwork that needed to be turned in, and I needed to go up that way to my bank, and I was going to stop at Speedway for smokes and get some saltwater snails to clean the Reef tank since the place Cookie showed me is practically next door to work...Darn good thing I did... Some poor guy in Hillsboro, OH would have been wondering where his ride to the VA was in the morning...

Our co-dispatcher, Amy, has been having some health issues here lately, and I knew she had just had venous strips done in both legs recently to improve her circulation...Mind you, this girl is only 42 yrs old...
Apparently today, she came back from a checkup with the results from 2 1/2 weeks ago of a CAT, and it showed 2 Nodes near her esophagus and today there are 3, and now determined to be Lymphoma...The whole office went into panic and shutdown mode, and they forgot to call 1/2 the drivers...I only found out because I went up there to turn in paperwork, and met another driver who had heard it from another...I called Sheila and spoke to her to verify as they are best friends...
Prayers on her behalf will be greatly appreciated...

I am off to the shower and my bed...Got lots done here today, but not near what I wanted to...Then again, I guess that is just me...

Have a great day tomorrow!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to all...
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5857487

Morning Buckeyes and Lurkers!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5857546

How did you know I was lurking, Cookie?? LOL
HELLO!! ORVGers!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5857573

Good morning everyone !
Dusty T&P to your co worker . That is hard and only at age 42 .
Not much here
Ric glad thats not your truck that is one hefty charge for repairs yikes.
jazz good to see you posting , we miss you . Looking forward to them pics of your doggies . LOL
Welcome back Toni, glad you are safe and sound , good deal on the trip. Did you hear of the flight that had a 9 hr delay and wouldn't let passengers off the plane !!!! oh that would not work if i was on board LOL . They had guards on the entrance of the plane.
well i guess i should get busy
T is getting his foot cut open today , he got that bad infection over in china. Glad he finely is getting it done the big goof ! ha
take care and have a great day
sue

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5857721

Good Morning All!

Boy I slept like a rock. Nothing like sleeping in your own bed after being away. Gonna get things together here and I have a conference call at 3.

Sitting here sipping coffee and chilling. I am thinking I may just go out and find my butt a job like normal people. I have some decisions to make for sure.

Dusty let me know when my room is ready! I'll be there sooner than you know :)

Where's Chele and my cyber nephew???

Sue and Ric I stole some CD's from Derek's you'd love. I got copies of the whole Motown Anthology (12 discs). It has everything from The Contours to the new stuff by Brian McKnight in the late 90's I think. Anyway It's the bomb. Send blanks and I'll hook you up a copy.

Well coffee's cold. For some reason I am moving in slow motion today. Gonna get a refill.

((((((((((((Wavin' to Lurker Lou, Lana, Jazzie, Renee and Cookie and anybody else I missed...Hey Ladies)))))))))))))

(((((((How you feeling today Darius?)))))))))

Adios for now!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5857867

Ohh Ohh Ohhh can I send blanks too???

We ate at the best Irish Pub last night. Had Beef and Potatoes in a Bread Bowl... yum.. will definitely be going back there! Called Brazenhead...I think they're a chain.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5857934

Good Morning... I'm moving slow myself this morning. The Kid awakened me about midnight to talk about her mother and it was 5 AM before I got back to sleep. Good thing there is a movie channel on all night.

Dusty, prayers being sent for your dispatcher friend. That's tough on anyone, at any age.

Waving to everyone...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5857953

Hey everyone!

Finally have a few minutes to post!

Been a wild week of car appointments. Finally have it all fixed after the run in with the raccoon. Then, the "check engine now!!!!" light came on. Oh, NO! took to dealer, and one of the main computers was out. Almost $1,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally I caught a tiny bit of good luck - I squeeked in under the warranty. By about 1,000 miles! Another month or so, and I would have been out of luck! And, they found a seal that was leaking, but that I have to fix on my own. They want me to drive it another couple weeks with the new computer to see if it alerts to the seal, or any other problem before they fix anything else. I have been having problems with it running roughly when I first start out for about 6 months. They have not been able to figure out what causes it. I have to stop at a 4-way stop on a steep hill by my house, and it will stall out there sometimes. Now, they are saying this computer may have been going bad, and causing this problem. Another reason to drive it a couple weeks before they do any more work on it... hopeful that it will be running right !!!!

Marcy, I made your pie last weekend - the "George" recipe. I double checked the recipe - am sure I measured right. Took about 3/4 of the recipe to fill my pie shell. It was a total flop. After the one hour baking, it was still totally liquid. Sometimes my oven is a little "slow" so I baked it 20 minutes longer. Took it out, and even when cool - it was still as runny as when I poured it in the shell. Let it totally cool, then put in fridge. By next morning, it was still runny. Tasted good, with a spoon (LOL) but still runny. With some investigating, found that there was a layer on the bottom near the crust that was somewhat set up, but was more like glue - I baked the extra filling in custard cups in a water bath after the pie came out, and it turned out the exact same way... glue on the bottom and liquid on top. I must have done something wrong. (obviously) But, the flavor was really good!!! I will try it again. Mom seems to think I should have beat it together with a mixer and not a whisk? She thinks the flour sunk to the bottom and thickened down by the crust, leaving the top part with no thickener. I had an oven thermometer in, and the temp was right at 350... am wondering if I need to bake at higher temp... Just not sure... but the filling tasted so good, I want to try again!!!!!

Wouldn't you know, I set down here to make a post, and my Mom's calling me to help her... she wants to carry up the Christmas tree from the basement. Should have done it last weekend, but we ended up doing other things. Then I have been busy going to appointments all week. So I will help her carry up the pieces and get it put together. She can "fluffle" it up this afternoon, so I can start decorating it.

Waving to all!!!

Hugs
Jules
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5858368

Course you can Cookie! U know ya didn't have to ask silly rabbit. Truth be told none of you have to. Addy in the exchange if you don't already have it.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5858412

Hi gang!
Tried to log on this morning and the site here was down.

I went to pick up the Truck and there was a big ole' right in my face note from the mechanic.
The brake caliper is broken loose on the front right.
So the note basically said DON'T take it on the HWY.
Unsafe vehicle... well I did HWY it
(as not doing so would add 30 minutes and a ton of curves to the trip) but w/ flashers and at 50 MPH.
Called my Super... the Truck is now Retired.
Not sure if we're going to lease or buy a new or used one.
Not my problem... that's WAY above my pay grade! LOL!

Toni I'll check and see which Motown Anthology we already have.
I think it ends w/ the mid 70's which, to me, was about the time it quit being spectacular.

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5858454

Toni i would love a copy of it !!!! that does sound great. Good workout music again LOL my Aretha , Dianna and LL Cool J is getting a bit old :) of course i never really get tired of the Gap band !
Ric bummer on the truck. Well at least the guy left you a note ! to warn you.
Dh is watching Delta Force LOL he is a Chuck Norris fan to say the least. WIth his foot in a big ol bandage he ain't going far . The chair is his buddy this weekend. No walkie for him until Sunday :( dr's orders. As if he would listen but i shall make him.
take care
off to find somthing to do
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5858466

Hi all...just a quick note to say hi, and retype the recipe for Jules.
Jules, I am soo sorry it didn't turn out for you! Can't imagine what happened???? I have never had anything but good luck with it??? Again...maybe you won't want to try it again...but I AM sorry!

Sugar Cream Pie

1 cup white sugar
5 Tablespoons of flour
dash salt
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup half n half
2 egg yolks..NO whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
nutmeg or cinnamon
unbaked pie shell 9" NOT deep dish

Whisk flour sugar and salt together in a small bowl. In larger bowl beat egg yolks till well mixed. Add half n half, cream, and vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add sugar mixture while whisking into the liquid. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Pour into pie shell. Top with cinnamon or nutmeg..your preference. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
I can't tell you any more than that Jules. It works fine for me????
Well..off to get a hair cut. Have a nice day everyone.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5858493

Thanks Marcy! I printed it out this time. :) We always have all that stuff on hand aside from the whipping cream and half and half which we can pick up. I can whip out pie crusts like nothing. :)

I had my shower, cut and highlighted my hair then shampooed again. I feel so much better! Hubby said it looks good too.

I'm making turkey pot pies now. I'm sure the heathens will be unhappy about it. hahahaha Jazzi hates everything now and the rest of them want the same old same old. Bleck.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5858609

Mmmmmm, pie. How do you cut your own hair? I can't imagine getting the back cut okay, but then again, I am a klutz. LOL

Dusty, sorry to hear about your co-dispatcher Amy's diagnoses. How scary for her and her family.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5858620

LOL I've been doing it most of my life except for when I worked in salons. Even then, I only found one person that could give my curly hair a decent cut!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5858655

Marcy - don't feel bad - I am sure it was not the recipe!!! I printed it out from online, know I didn't copy wrong. I didn't use deep dish - know you said it took the entire recipe to fill your shell, that it would not have made two pies for you... so filled my shell up to normal level, say a pumpkin pie would fill. Like I say, sometimes my oven is a little funny, that's why I keep a thermometer in it. Hey, it is 25 years old, LOL... I am not sure what happened. I wasn't going to post that it didn't go right, but then knew I had said that I got everything to make it and was going to try last weekend. I have not given up!!!! It did taste really good - was just more like eggnog! LOLOLOLOL
Do you take the cream etc. right from the fridge and put it together then right into the oven? I let my eggs come to room temp, and also let the creams set out about half an hour so they would not be too cold. Wonder if that would be it. Figured with my oven being "slow" that if everything was cold, it might take way to long??? When I say my oven is slow, I mean if a cookie recipe says 10 minutes, mine will take 13.

Just don't fret over it!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5858753

Back from haircut!! Looks better...feels better! She took about 2 1/2 inches off...dead stuff! I can still get it into a pony tail if need be...NOT...in the winter...lol!! Wish I had your natural curly hair Chele!! Mine is naturally straight.! A friend of mine...and neighbor..came in after me...and was telling me about a program in Greenville at the Prairie for master gardeners and friends.. I think she said in January. Wants me to come along with her. I said sure!! She wasn't sure what the program was on yet...but said there would be speakers. Sounds like fun in the dead of winter!
Jules...I'm not fretting over it. Just can't imagine what went wrong? My oven is old too...and probably about the same age as yours. Mine runs hot...so I set it at 300 for 350. I hope someone else tries it to see if it works for them?
Jules..think I did let eggs come to room temps...but not the milk and cream? And only the eggs because it's easier to separate the white and yolks. So doubt that had to do with it.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5858851

Darius,
Oh my gosh that looks so tender - poor thing you.
BTW thanks for the venison fat tip, that's a handy piece of information.

I will sure let you know how it goes once we get ours and I actually cook something with it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #5858950

Jules, does your oven thermometer read the intended temperature? If not, perhaps another one is needed. Would it make a difference where the oven rack is set in the oven? If it is inserted too low, that might account for the pie being done more on the bottom than the top since the bottom would be closer to the heating element.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5858953

True Kimberley. I always put my oven rack in the center of the oven.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5858974

I just thought of that, remembering a sheet of cookies I'd placed too low one time. They were burnt on the bottom and barely cooked up top.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5859369

Ric...Did I just read you said Motown quit being spectacular in the 70's??? I have just 2 words for you...RICK JAMES

OOOOOOOh and 2 more...TEANA MARIE...

Throw in a little ENVOGUE (Free yo mindddddddddddddd...and the rest will follow...be color blind...don't be so shallowwwwwwwww...)

Man I am jammin' !!!!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2008 6:26 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5859565

Oh my gosh Ric them could be fighting words ! LOL Toni i love Ric JAMES !!! Oh girl she is a Super Freaky yeah . LOL go girl .
Oh i miss Soul Train and dancing with my friends ( we were 8 ? ) always doing the bump .
Picked up kids forgot to get milk uhg.
Chelle i love your hair. ! but like always straight wants curl and curl wants straight . Mine is just think and wavy ick takes forever to staighten out.
Yes its ladys night oh what a night. Oh somebody stop me owwwww. Oh what a niiiiiiight. Good thing you can't hear me sing LOL
ok gotta run
stay warm
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5859960

I know Toni but I just don't see Rick James as Motown, though of course he came thru there.
To me he's more the Funkadelic Style Player... more Cincinnati than Detroit.
And of course he was one of the best until he started living his Legend.
I'm more a Motown Purist type... Smokey, Tops, Temps, Marvin...

We saw Bootsie a few weeks ago...still going strong!
But he turns it off when the mics go off.
I wish a LOT more preformers had done that... Heaven Bands...

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5860064

Evenin y'all...22 and bitter cold tonight...At least there is nothing coming down out of the sky, and the wind has let up...My poor Wheelie was all over the darn road this morning with the crosswinds...No worries tonight... I am driving a 2009 White Mitsubishi car.. no clue what model, it was too dark to tell...At least it was warmed up...
When she called me with my runs for tomorrow, all she said was that I was in the car and first PU was in Springboro at 8:15...When I got to the barn, and looked at my last run for tomorrow, I was majorly PO'd...I have to be in Bellefontaine at FIVE PM to take one home to Russells Point...I will NOT get back to Dayton till about 7pm, and still have paperwork and fuel to do, much less get home to change and get back to Moraine... Tomorrow is the company Christmas party...Food starts at 6pm and entertainment at 7pm...I had not planned to go because Jim didn't care to...However...I think that was pretty low to dump a late PU on me without some explaination...Oh wellllllll...

Toni, your room is in much better condition than mine...I still don't have my darn bed put together yet...Grrrrrrrrr!! Saturday for sure..I hope!!.
The door is unlocked and the porchlight is on honey...Anytime you are ready!!

Darius, I sure do hope you are feeling alot better by now...From the looks of you, you couldn't have felt much worse... ;-(

Good to see that you are all okay Michele...Congrats on the new hairdo...I know how that feels...I have been letting mine grow, and it is now longer than it has been in 44 years...I cut my braid off and buried it with my first hubby in 1964...It had never been cut in my life until then...I like it, and it makes me feel free again...I keep it up in a ponytail for now as it is at the awkward stage, but I like me every morning when I get it put up...I look like the *other* version of me that I used to see in the mirror...
Good feeling inside...

Crash, good to see you back amongst the living...

Bons, many prayers for your DMIL...and all of you still going on...

I am off to bed early...I didn't get much sleep last night thanks to some pain in my ankle, so hopefully I can catch up tonight...

~~~~~~~ To everyone...

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5860126

Was a semi busy day here, preserved my garlic crop, evidently it didn't dry well, so was loosing some to rot. Then did some cooking for a pot luck at church. This was DM's church, the missionary society only meets once a month, and tonight was the Christmas dinner. Very good, honey baked ham, rolls, and drinks furnished, the rest pot luck.

Had a fun program after the meal and haven't been home long. It got considerably colder while we were there. The wind has picked up, and it feels frigid out.

Ric I am with you on the early Motown, really used to have a blast listening to Lou Rawls, Smokey, Marvin Gaye, good good easy listening. Many parties listening to them, good slow body huggin, hip swaying music. Yep, all with DH, but viewed through many glasses of Bud!!

Off to read some other threads.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5860356

You'll get it together Dusty.

I can feel you guys on the Old School music. That was when music was music. Today when I went to the store I heard some girl singing a song about "I broke out your glass windshield with a brick" or something like that. What are these children listening to?

Any who...

Beddie bye time!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2008
7:18 AM

Post #5860599

Well all this talk of a sugar cream pie made me want to make one. I had left over ingredients from thanksgiving. I cut the recipe in half. It turned out great. The only thing I did different was there was more whipping cream then 1/2 and 1/2(didn't have quite enough so made up difference with the whipping cream.) I might add it's mighty tasty!
George

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5860863

Taynors---Keep singing---it sounds good to me in my head.LOL Dave and I had our first date late Dec 1963 . Oh what a night----- It's our song. Lou

This message was edited Dec 5, 2008 8:18 AM
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5860940

I love the Free Your mind song!!! Everytime I hear that now I think of the dance Woody Harrolson does in his undies in a "Cowboy Way". LOL cracks me up.
Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks Dusty, it feels pretty good to no longer be MIA.
Probably won't last too long , back to work in the morning. My visits are are ways very breif, I wish for more time , like I used to have to keep in touch with everyone. Jeremy workd different hours now, and if I'm on the puter when he is here , he acts as if I am neglecting him or something. Big Baby. I miss you all, and will have to lurk for sometime, I'll probably never catch up.
I really miss you all and love the ORVGers.
Lou, my oldest brother loves that song so much, wow, that brings backs memories!Ya'll take care. Big waves to all~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just wanna give ((((((((Marcy)))))) a hugg. Just couldn't finish without doing that! LOL
Hope to catch ya later
Sandy
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5861315

I thought maybe, with all that was going on in our economy,it would be a good time for us all to revisit this posting. Lou

http://www.bizzuka.com/Files/Newsletter/eBurst_dec2008.html
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5861371

Thanks for sharing that with us Lou...quite a story..

I have just found out that my 10 year old neice is deaf in her left ear and may go deaf in her right one as well. It's from some kind of "syndrome" that my brother couldn't remember. She's to have a CT scan on Christmas Eve...please include her in your prayers.

Cookie
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5861444

Good morning all! Hey George...that pie looks good enough to eat!! But I bet you've already done that!!
I too, love the Motown sound...and the old songs!
I know what you mean Toni, about what are the kids listening to now? It's scary!
Lou...good to see you posting!!! Thanks for sharing that site.
Sandy...you sweetie...big hugggs right back atcha!!! Where you been girl???????
Joyce...so sorry to hear about your neice! Not a good thing.
Well today is grocery day for me. Have to go 'brave' the Wallyworld crowd. Yuk!! Seems everytime I go there now, all I think about is all the germs I am touching and breathing in! LOL!! My SIL has made me so aware of that!! Better get my wet wipes out to take along. Wish our Wally had them like Kroger's does...because I usually forget them.
Well...I hope you ALL have a wonderful day! The sun is shining...but wow..is it ever cold here!! And more snow to come...YUK!!!
Later all!!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5861512

Joyce
I wonder if it's Pendred Syndrome?
I will will keep her and the family in prayers.
(hugs)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5861573

Good morning!!!!!!!

Keeping your niece lifted Cookie.

Today is get this joint cleaned up day at my house. The jet lag has been kicking my booty this trip so I have pretty much nothing done since I got back. I got a good amount of sleep last night though so I have some energy (finally).

I am gonna put on some Christmas music and get busy.

You guys take it easy!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

December 5, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5861766

MIL still in the hospital. Between work and staying with her at night that leaves me 2-3 hours a day to cook supper and get cleaned up to go back to the hospital. We will both be glad when she's finally discharged .

Janet
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5861934

Goodafternoon! Finally recovered from Thanksgiving and now pulling out Christmas decorations. Where has the year gone?

I love the motown music, too! Might take you up on the offer, Toni.

What worries me as much as the lyrics the kids are listening to, are the dance moves. Oh, my! I was shocked the first time I saw my 8 yr old GD dance a couple of years ago. Made me blush!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5862082

I like both Funk and Old school . I like it all. Get my booty shaking is all i need. LOL :) and believe you me, i got more booty to shake now then i did 30 yrs ago "ack" :P LOL
ok not much here
Cookie big hugs for your niece . Im sorry to see that happen to such a young girl . Poor thing. T&P for you and the family
kinda boring
got fuel in the skidsteer
sunny here kinda nice.
kinda hungry but am watching it .
Yes them lyrics are horrible in some of the songs that are on songs today. My Gosh !!! crazy , just plain crazy ! i tell yah's
I used to love rap , I still like Queen Latifah i just love her ! but its all gone so naughty language. Oh well. IMHO :)
take care
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5863196

Janet make sure to take care of yourself!
Those hospital hours can really take a toll on you.
Hope she out of there soon!!!

Well I'm getting a new truck at work.
Not sure when or if it's lease or purchased but it will be a diesel! Yea!
I hate gas trucks w/ a passion!
So I guess I'm now back to being a driver again... hey it all pays...

Today was basically a reorganize and regroup day in the FPR.
Robyn has everything laid out for tomorrow.
We will start w/ the window seat and pulling electric and see what happens.
W/ the Holiday schedule coming up ...2 Five day weekends...
we should just about have it done just after New Years!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5863468

Ric, way to go on the Plant room. Don't fret about what you are doing at the job, if sweeping pays the same, sweep!! Job situation here is getting tough. Sure am glad that I am not out there looking for one.

crash, good to see you popping in. We don't keep count how often, you post, just glad to see that you have some time to check in.

Joyce, so sorry to hear of your neice's problems. Since I am sight challenged, I would be interested in knowing what her diagnosis and condition is. I will be keeping the family in my t & p's.

Sue, when DGD comes here, I absolutely forbid her playing any rap. There are enough bad influences out there, without pop musicians teaching new words and deeds to our youngsters. Now if her mother allows it at home, it is not on my head.

Dusty, what you gonna do with the turkey carcus? I usually simmer mine down for some good rich broth, maybe making chicken, or turkey noodle soup.

Janet, what hospital is your DMIL in? Mine is in Jewish Shelbyville, so thought I could run into you sometime.

Off to check my email.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5863682

LOL I don't know Dusty...I rather enjoyed the Crazy as a betsy bug Britney Spears...I mean you have to admit she was good for a laugh. Better than this new watered down zombie they have created. LOL Personally I think she is just acting right in front of the cameras in case the Social Worker is watching so she my have a prayer of getting her kids back. You know its really bad when K-Fed is the better parent.

Nite all!

Ladies do take care of yourselves as Ric said. He's right those hospital vigils are worse on the family most of the time.

T/O
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5864087

I'm finally going to the co op today to stock up on herbs and stuff, so I'll be mailing those at the first of the week. Sorry I couldn't get there in time for Thanksgiving, but at least we'll have 'em for the rest of the holiday season.

The trees are up and the big seed swap is about to wrap up, so now if the weather would cooperate so I could get my clearance bulbs in the ground. I'm afraid I may need to pot 'em up and put them in the basement. Hmmm...some forced bulb pots could be a nice way to get through late winter.

Waves and Hugs to all,
Neal
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5864123

Good morning sunshine! (my Grandma always said that to me. )

Waving to all!

I'm about to throw some monkey bread in the oven-quick, easy, always appreciated. Kristenne has to be at school a bit after 9:00 to go to her 10:00 game. After that, we get to come home for a bit, then get two kids to two different birthday parties. By 7 or so, the night should be mine. LOL No big plans for the rest of the weekend, other than gathering paperwork for a Monday appointment. bleck

Janet, I hope you MIL gets released soon. All the waiting, running and worrying can really wear you down. I hope she gets well quickly.

Toni, thanks for bringing back all the roller skating memories with your Motown mentions. I have all sorts of songs stuck in my head now (which are far better than what the kids listen to now!). Most recently, they keep getting the "Put a ring on it" song in my head. Grrrr.

msrobin, I have to chuckle about you blushing. We were at a wedding a few years ago and some young nieces were doing some moves that made me gawk. I guess it's what they see on MTV, BET, VH1 and the other video channels now. The old "line dances" weren't so provocative. Having teenagers and their friends around, I've about seen and heard it all!

Joyce, I'm sorry to hear about your niece's hearing problems. Hopefully they will have something new and tested medically that can help her.

Hi Dovey! It's nice to see you. :)

Sorry I didn't address everyone. I've been goofing on this computer the last two hours and have to bust a move now. If I don't get on that bread now, we won't have time to eat.

Have a great day!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5864187

21° (Wind Chill 12°)
Cincinnati is virtually paralyzed... we have 1/4" of snow and it's STILL coming down! LOL!

Ric
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5864205

Morning all, snowing here as well. Looks pretty though..

I'm hoping to do some decorating and gift wrapping today. Looks like a good day to stay in!

I thank you all for your prayers for Liston. She's a sweet little thing. They told her she could wear a "device" to help her hear and she said I DON'T want to wear that!!! When she can't hear much at all, she may change her tune. One of my co-workers pointed out that it's easier for a young girl, cause their hair can cover it up so she won't feel different. Thanks again for your prayers and comments.

Stay safe and warm...love you!
BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 6, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5864441

Joyce, sorry to hear about your niece. We just don't appreciate our health
untill we hear of someone less forunate. My daughter Tena has had vision
problems since the sixth grade. Having cornea transplants in both eyes at the age of 18. She needs another one now but no money for it.

Sounds like you are going to have a fun day. Hope to see you a little later
on. Have to go shopping with the granddaughter's sometime this afternoon.
Meagan has a socker game that Angie forgot about, so the shopping trip this morning was delayed untill later. Have fun. Miss seeing you. This old winter time sucks.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5864489

Hi Bertie, good to see you making your debute. Now don't forget us, and pop in once in awhile to tell us what you are up to.

Making a big breakfast this morning, DGD is still in bed, so this meal will hold us until supper time. When the DGD finally gets up, we need to finish that stained glass piece, and get things put away.

Ric, if you are huffing and puffing trying to blow that snow someplace else, please face north, rather than south!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5864664

Chelle you mean you don't like that song ?
i just discovered that song and like it. LOL
batterey low
ttyl
sue
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5864788

Badseed,
I always woke up to my mother saying in a very sing-song voice:

Good morning Merry Sunshine,
Have you heard the news?
All the world is wide awake and putting on its shoes.
The sun is like a golden bug, climbing in the sky.
Wake-up
and wash your face
and hang it out to dry!

I said it to my children and now they say it to theirs...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5864795

Neal,
How did you find your co op?
We really need someplace where we can buy bulk grains other than Whole Foods. ugh!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5864796

That's sweet, having a tradition passed down like that. :) I think my favorite way to wake up in high school was with a phone call from my grandma, a teacher at my high school, with her cheery voice saying "noooo school!" on snow days. She always knew early. :)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5864800

That would be the best... My kids LOVED snow days
To have your grandma call and tell you the wonderful news would be awesome.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5865111

Oh, yeah, those calls were a great start to any sleepy teen's day!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5865232

Hmmm, I just got cold water splashed in my face and the lights flipped on in my eyes...a sweet song would have been nice, but it may not have done the job, LOL.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5865310

that is nice dovey and then have it passed on . Neat
well my oldest and i had a talk . She begged us to forgive her and i told her " there is nothing you could have done that we would not forgive for , just forgive yourself. " well it was nice to talk and not argue.
got to go get in the shower
ooops dd just smaked her head on the talble
gotta run
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5865539

Hi... Quiet day here. It's c.c..cold, and has been snowing for about 3 hours now. Really fine snowflakes so not much accumulation yet, just an inch or so. The temp had risen earlier to 30º but has been falling with the snow. I don't even want to know the low that's predicted overnight. Well, I had to look, because there's an advisory... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST SUNDAY WITH NEAR ZERO WIND CHILLS. Yuck. Guess most of you are getting it too.

I should be doing something productive, but here I sit...

I just read about a state SWAT team raid on a natural foods co-op in rural Ohio last week.
http://truediscernment.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/swat-team-conducts-food-raid-in-rural-ohio/
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/08/swat-team.htm
http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2008/12/03/news/mj309059.txt

Maybe there's a movie or something on the tube... BBL

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5865878

Checking in with a temp of 29.6 and wind chill of 18* now...Well over an inch on the ground and coming down steady...It quit for awhile, but just started again...

I'm kickin behind around here today...I got the bay window sills cleaned off and the windows washed inside...Peaches is grateful because she can sit there and ogle all of the birds out at the feeders...LOL
I have to make the 6 foot trek from the porch to the garage and bring in my 2 plant stands, and I'm dreading it... LOL

Jim fixed the dining room mantle for me, and is working on fixing the wobble on my antique lamp table...I am getting the furniture arranged in the living room and the carpets vacuumed now that I can finally see them...I may get this house whipped into shape yet this weekend...I have a large box by the front door that is catching all of the Junque that I am getting rid of...and that is the second one... LOL and I have a 3rd that is catching clothing for the VA Closets...
Jim is now hanging the drapery rod for the dining room drapes...Yayyyy!!
I have them in the dryer with a wet hand towel to fluff and dewrinkle...

Tomorrow, my bedroom gets it, and it will take the better part of the day.. LOL ..I will get the rest of the laundry done while I am working in there...

I don't have to cook tonight as every inch of both sinks and counters are covered with plants...LOL...They all got a bath and a good soaking today...and are getting rearranged into new homes...I just crammed them onto the windowsills to get them out of harms way...
We are having Chili dogs and baked fries for supper...Heat/bake and eat...done and over with.. LOL

Ohhh yeahhh and Bertie... I have MY Christmas tree up...LOL

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5865976

Hi everyone! Are you keeping warm????????? It's COLD out there!!!!!!!
Well...we got up early this morning and went to this lady's open house. She has a log cabin...(one room) that she sells things out of...and a log home. Her home was also open today! It is really neat! She has it all decorated in primitive style...and I mean really primitive! In her kitchen, you cannot see her refrigerator, microwave or tv. They are all hidden behind primitive cupboards. Same in the living room/dining combo. TV is in a big cupboard. All wide plank floors...it is just too cool!!
Well she had this purse for sale that she had made. It is made of pure linen, and she used felted wool to decorate the outside. She had hand dyed the wool first. For those of you that don't know what felted wool is, it is wool that has been washed and it's fuzzy afterward. Only way I can think to describe it. Then she hooked it into patterns on the linen. The purse is lined, and has pockets inside. Dave bought it for me for a Christmas present!!!! I LOVE it!!!
We came home...ate lunch...then went to Jim's house for Dawson's BD party! We got him some batman things...and he was thrilled!! He was a big 5 yrs. old this past Thursday!!
When we came home...we brought the kids with us! They are staying the night, and tomorrow we will put up the tree and they will decorated it!!
I put a whole chicken in the crockpot this morning, and we had chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes tonight. It was good!!
Now the kids are watching a video...well it's over I guess.
Anyway...that was my day...and I enjoyed it! Hope you all enjoyed yours as well.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5866172

Marcy that sounds fun what you did today. Does she have a websiite ? i would love to see her home . I always enjoy looking at others who have log homes too .
Ate pizza tonight "ick " it was Staw Hat . blah. Sorry not my kind of pizza. How can Urbana have so many pizza places and none of them are any good ?
got our tree up and its a bit tipsy . we couldn't find the stand so T went out and got one. He had to fight to get it. The other guy grabbed the other one he was reaching for. The nerve of people. sheesh. So kids decorated it and well the bottom half is decorated LOL
Hopefully my MIL wont redecorate it !!!!! Grrrr. she did that last time and PO'd me to the moon. Savannah was heart sank. She thought she did such a great job and then Grandma redoes it ? oh i just bit my tongue and then when she left we REDECORATED IT. HA .
Cold here and snowing .
anyone talked to Geo ? he had been MIA for awhile ?
darius what a shame about those people. I just don't get it . why are they so threatened by people like us ? crazy aint it . Next they will be raiding farmers markets .
stay warm
blessings
sue
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5866357

Hello all!
I have been lurking, just not a lot to say. The Thanksgiving family weekend was more then I thought. It grew and grew in numbers. All our kids, both my sister's and hubby's, my step nephew and a lemon basset hound! My oldest sister and her husband stayed the weekend(along with the hound). Everything went OK. I was just so tired from all the extra work. My oldest sister started to be a freak and try to cause trouble. Which I put a stop to real fast(This is the one I threw out of my house X-mas eve 6 years ago) Thank god I won that 20lb turkey from that old woman(we grabbed for it at the same time). Then had to send out for more stuff due to the extra numbers. We ate well and I survived. Both my sister's started fights with their hubby's also. I refuse to cook for Christmas. I will do the kids party on the eve and thats it!

Been working on my ornaments. Pretty much done. Will show you all here in a min. Pic not so great, but I hear Santa is getting me a new one : ). Then Jeff in his infinite wisdom invited people over tonight for dinner. He said "I'll cook" yeah right. I had to cook and clean the mess he made. Again though we had a good time and ate well. Being a bit on the b^%$y side over the dinner tonight I am making cookies as a peace offering. The easiest peanut butter cookie recipe I have ever made. One cup peanut butter, one cup sugar, one egg and one tsp vanilla. Mix and put on lightly greased cookie sheet by rounded tsp and mash with fork down. Bake at 325 for about 10 min. Really good and tonight I added milk chocolate chips. YUM!!

The hollar' looks really pretty right now. The snow makes everything looks so wonder land like. I built a new puppy condo and beefed up the chicken house. Every one should be warm and dry. The female pup(Brutus, lives up to her name) refuses to let the boys in her doghouse, so we have a bachelor pad for them now. I lost 4 chickens to the first cold spell, but thats to be expected. Always the first cold snap weeds out the weak ones.

Well glad to see everyone warm and cozy. Dusty now I know exactly where you live! Do you have a spare bedroom? I always have to take a weekend break from this house in the winter and I can bring Joyce cookies(I have some great new cookie recipes) and can see Bertie and those sweet little Doxies. Darius how far do you live from me? I would love to visit you also. Well come to think of it. I want to visit everyone! I guess I will just have to wait for spring. sigh...
Sue, keep those youngin and man of yours warm. Winter walks in woods are great. One of my favorite things to do in winter is wait until It's really snowing and go sit in the woods. It's the most quiet peaceful thing.
Well sending love and good thoughts to all! Hoping for good jobs, healthy kids and more good recipes. Thanks to marcy I have had to buy all the stuff for more sugar cream pies and thanks to Jules Momma I am not allowed to not make the sauerkraut salad for Christmas!
Ok, this is really it. I am off to try to start the christmas tree.

Kissing balls on left. 5.5 inches across. Fairy rose balls on right.

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5866380

Velvet panels with peals on left and clear balls with burgundy/gold trim and more pearls. I will never work with fabric on glass! Those took forever!

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008

Post #5866519

Hi George! I just wanted to tell you how beautiful your ornaments are!!! You really do nice work!!
Well...got the kids down for the night. I had bought a book ...The Christmas Carol...for Ashley. They wanted me to read it to them tonight...even though she can read good. Well...we were on the third chapter...about Marley's ghost...and suddenly Dawson left the room. I asked Ash where he went...and she said he went in the living room to sit with Grandpa. I asked him to come back...and he said no. I said...does this story scare you? He said yes! I tried to explain that it was just a story...but he wasn't having any of it...lol! So we stopped reading it. I asked Ash if she was scared...she just laughed and said no. So showed her what page I was on...so she can finish it later herself. Poor little guy...I didn't mean to scare him! Guess he didn't want to hear about ghosts and things though.
Well...I am going to read some more of my book...and then to bed. It's been a busy day!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5866523

Oh Geo those are so pretty !! I will keep the kids warm but the DH well... i shall think about it. I m mad at him.
My tv is out due to snow on the thingy ... you know the satellite yes that is it LOL couldn't remember what it was called. LOL
So T went to bed. and i m wide eyed !
i hate not having tv waaaah. Oh well. I got you guys !!
so not much here at the moment.
Hmm sounds like a weekend at Cookies LOL oh i got home canned tomato juice we can use for bloody marys !
take care and good night
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5866694

Sue, I can go you one better, I have home canned bloody mary mix!! I'll bring that, somebody else can get the clear liquid that goes in it!!

Been a busy day, DGD and I made the stained glass piece for her mother's Christmas present. Poor thing got a nasty burn from the solder, but probably was a good lesson, as I was emphasizing safety all the time. We got everything done, but soldering on the hangers. I will post a picture when it is all done. I am proud of her, as she did all the work, with the exception of leading the outside, she thought that she would mess it up, so I did that. It is a free form sun catcher, a cala lily, and it looks nice. By free form, I mean it is not in a frame.

Then this afternoon, since DH is sick, I went to the hospital to check on his mother. She is about the same. However, I did notice some mental deteroriation, she wanted to know if it was gonna be too bad for me to go to work. Well, I haven't had a job for 8 years!! But if I live to be 90, I hope that my son, and grandchildren will overlook my forgetfulness. Then stopped by the Dollar store for a few things, and picked up a bucket of KFC for supper. Love these no cook evenings.

George those ornaments are beautiful. You did a great job on them. If I had the time, and the talent, I would try my hand at it, but both are in short supply here right now.

Dusty, read that article about the food coop. Wow, wonder if they will start coming for individuals who are processing their own food? That is scary.

Dusty, sounds like you have all motors in full steam ahead mode!! I know that when the weekend is over, you will have accomplished most of what needs to be done.

The snow has fallen all day, and when coming home about 5:00 from the hospital I hit a few slick spots on the road. Not thinking, I took a little county road which is a shortcut to my house, but it has a huge hill. The road had not had anything done to it, and I finally made it to the top of the hill, but used every inch of the pavement, both sides and the middle at some point, scared the DGD to death.

Marcy, couldn't help but chuckle about the story being too scary for Dawson. Some kids have vivid imaginations, and maybe that was something that he thought would bring bad dreams. Well, you tried!!

My family Christmas dinner is tomorrow, and I am in charge of bringing several vegetables. I have green beans, corn, and a dozen deviled eggs. I think all of the family will be there with the exception of one niece, and her husband and daughter, they are involved in church, and she plays in a hand bell group, and they have a concert. Then my DS and his SO will not make it, as they have to work. There will probably we about 40 people there. Since DM died, we only get together for a picnic in the summer, and in December, and we usually celebrate it early so that everybody is free to go wherever when the actual date gets closer.

Gonna go check some other threads, read my e-mail, gather together some items I want to be sure to take with me tomorrow, and then fall into bed.

We are safe and warm, things that I am truly thankful for.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5866702

Nice score Marcy!!! Hunky Dave has great taste in Christmas gifts!! We will now require a Pic of it ... LOL

Geo Honey, there is always a bed for you under my roof...Yes, we have a guest room, and as I told Toni... the porchlight is on...Your ornaments are spectacular...Maybe next year I will make some for my tree...I have the one bay window fixed with some of my Christmas things behind the tree...
I meant to say earlier that the tree is up, but there is nothing on it except the lights, and the skirt...LOL...The bins with the ornaments are in the garage, and I ain't goin back out there agin tonight...I put it up on a box with a board on it to keep it away from this rotten Lily puppy...

The living room is done finally, to accomodate the tree...The dining room is nearly done...just some tweaking left to finish...Tomorrow is another day unless I get a third wind...I already burned up my second one... ;-(
I am whupped, but well pleased for a change, with what I managed to get done...
You would have had to see this disaster area in order to understand the frustration I have had with this mess...Things were packed very haphazardly...Basically just whatever would fit in the current box in far too much of a rush...Unpack one box and things went to 4 different rooms...
I am pleased with the peace I see in this room now...It is Home...

I think it is time for a hot shower, and my last night with my bed on the floor...LOL Tomorrow is the big day to get the frame together...

Rest well y'all...and stay warm...We had a real flurry blast here a bit ago, almost a white out but it didn't last but a few minutes...

Hugggggs

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
5:58 AM

Post #5866956

Neal --- I found some mixed pepper today, at a smaller market near me that sells more "gourmet" foods. 1.5 oz was 9.99. It is far to expensive to just have you get "a few ounces for me" and now that I have found a local source, I won't really need it. I use such a small amount of pepper, if I buy a jar at this market, it's likely to last me a year. I saw a big jar at Kohl's on Black Friday for 50% off, but it was at least 60 - 70%% regular black pepper - and was still almost $20. Just had a few of the other colors sprinkled through it. I prefer it to have - maybe - 30% regular black pepper and the rest be the lighter colors. So I didn't get it.

George --- this is funny, but embarassing for me!!! I saw that photo of your beautiful sugar cream pie - but I was on my way out the door to go to work, and didn't have time to comment. That night, at work, I had a rare night that we were rather slow. So, I was surfing the net on my iPhone. Thought I would post here on ORVG to George that I had "Pie envy!" I typed out a quick note - not the easiest thing to do on the phone. It would be easy if I could keep my fingernails short! One really odd thing about the nerve disease I have - my nails grow like crazy!!! Makes it hard to type on the phone keyboard. Also makes it easy to "tap" on the wrong thing. Anyway, the next day, on my thread watcher - I see this thread from a thread I have never been to - don't even remember ever seeing it before! I think, what the heck was that! And, I noticed, my note to George about what a beautiful pie he made never showed up here...

Ends up that my phone did something odd, or Dave's did something - but my pie comments ended up on a chat thread where I had never been! I was SO embarrassed! Fortunately, when I went there to investigate, there was someone from this forum in there, and they explained to the other thread members. I wrote an apology, then tried to back out gracefully...

So, George, your beautiful pie, in a round about way, got me in trouble - with my iPhone's help! LOLOLOL... I am to embarrassed to go back and see what they might have said since I tried to apologize for butting into their chat thread!

Anyway ---- Marcy ---- I bought more ingredients today to try another pie. And, I bought another oven thermometer. Made another pie this afternoon. Evidently my oven is right on for temperature... as this thermometer matches the first one. I think it may have something to do with how small my oven is or something. Who knows. Plus, I used to do a lot more cooking and was on top of how to adjust for it. Now, my Mom does at least half the cooking - maybe more. I do know, that strangely enough, if we bake a cake, coffee cake, angel food cake - they come out great, with no extra time or adjustment in temp. How odd is that? When I bake cookies, I use those insulated baking sheets, and always use parchment paper to bake on - I think that is why they take longer. I cannot STAND a brown cookie bottom!! The insulated sheets and parchment keep that from happening!

So ----- this is what I did differently... I let the egg yolk come to room temp, but I didn't let the creams come fully to room temp. They were out maybe 15 minutes, but that was about it. Instead of hand whisking, I used the Kitchenaid. I made 1/2 the recipe and used one of my smaller pyrex pie plates. I used the whip attachment on the mixer. I whipped the ingredients really well, made absolutely sure that the sugar and flour was well incorporated. Then - I sort of followed the baking instructions from your other sugar pie. I baked it at 425 for 20 minutes, then 375 for 20 then 350 for 20. It was nicely browned, and just about set up when I took it out of the oven.

I had a lot of errands to do this morning, and was pretty well sore when I got all this done - and the Christmas tree carried up from the basement. So after the pie was out of the oven, I went to lay down for a while. I fell asleep! When I got up, I went to get my camera to take a picture of the pie. When I went to the kitchen - my Mom had eaten a piece of the pie! So much for getting a good picture of how nice the top looked! So, I had a piece - and my Mom had another! She said to tell you she has not had a cream pie that good since her Aunt Loretta died when she was a teenager. She said her Aunt Loretta made the most wonderful cream pies! Mom ate another small piece later! She doesn't usually eat much in the way of sweets, so this a real compliment!

Marcy - it turned out wonderful!!!!!! Thank you!!! I am so glad I tried it again! Mom said "that recipe is a keeper - but I don't dare think how many calories are in it!!!"

I need to go to bed, but my nervous system is on over drive to night. The RSD does that to me. Some nights, I am lucky to sleep 2 hours. Like being wound up on caffeine, but I don't drink anything with caffeine in it. My ex is coming tomorrow and we are going to do some shopping, a couple chores around here, and I am fixing dinner. We are going to Goumas CandyLand in Newark. They have really good chocolates. I will **try** to limit my purchases to a couple dark chocolate graham crackers. They are the best! Tim is addicted to the place. I am trying a new recipe for BBQ in the crock pot. Hope it turns out. We will have cream pie for dessert if I can keep my Mom out of it!

Defoecat - My Mom used to do a little work in stained glass - simple stuff, but really pretty. She did it when I was a child. A few years ago, I bought her some glass, cutter, etc to try getting her interested in something - but she didn't like the way the cutter worked, and set it all aside. $100 worth of glass for nothing! She says the cutter she used years ago didn't leave the glass edges sharp, and the new one I got does. So she won't use it. Anyway, she cut the glass into small squares or rectangles - no smaller than say, half inch. Then she would use silicone clear glue to put them on things like glass brandy snifters. She would leave small spaces between them, and arrange them in even rows around the snifter. Then, she would take what she called lamp black powder, mix it up, and smear it into the spaces. Then using a tool like a tile grout thing, she would smooth the lamp black to look like grout. Clean off all the excess lamp black. Add a candle to the inside - we would use a glass cup with a small votive candle... and you have a beautiful stained glass Christmas decoration. When we unpack ours, I will try to get a picture. Most of ours have broken through the years, I think we only have a couple left, and they are broken too, but still holding together. She would use dark rich reds, blues, greens, golds, etc. They were really beautiful! You had to be sure that the silicone was all the way under the glass though, or the lamp black would bleed under and ruin the effect.

George, your ornaments are beautiful... Will pass on that you are making saurkraut salad!

Joycet, so sorry about your niece.

Waving to everyone I didn't get to comment to --- my hands are tired of typing!

Jules

This message was edited Dec 7, 2008 1:19 AM
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5867180

Wow, Darius, that's just scary! And doesn't it just tick you off that resources are being used for something that senseless when there are so many real crimes people are getting away with.

Jules, I didn't realize the mixed peppercorns were so expensive at regular stores! I picked some up for you, but if you don't need them I can always use them. I got you and Kimberly about 7 oz each (just eyeballing it, both weighed exactly the same!) for just under $7.50. I use the air bake cookie sheets too- like you, I can't stand it when cookies (and biscuits) are too brown on the bottom, but I've noticed I always have to leave them in the oven a few more minutes than recipes call for when I use them.

Dusty, I got the garlic flakes for you, but noticed they had garlic 3 ways, fine powder, granules, and flakes. The flakes are finer that the dried, minced I see from time to time- I think I like these flakes better. I started to pick up some of both the granules and flakes for you, but it seemed the granules looked about like what stores sell as garlic powder and their powder was much finer than what you typically see. I've bought the fine stuff before, but it was bad for drawing moisture and clumping.

George, the ornaments are gorgeous! Kudos!

These herbs and spices just gave me an idea I wish I'd thought of yesterday- Dave has a young niece who just started a family that we need a gift idea for. I should set her up a stocked spice wrack; that should be helpful to a young house wife.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
1:23 PM

Post #5867221

Neal (hugs!!!!!!! big time!!!) I will take them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so reasonable!! I know my friend who used to belong to a co-op bought in large quantities, but and the peppercorns I just ran out of I bought through her, years ago. Been storing them in the freezer, in glass jars. I didn't want you to have to buy a $60 or more bag of peppercorns for me! I remember that the bag I got from my friend was pretty big - might have been a pound bag - and with them being so expensive when I did find them around here - I was thinking that they would cost a lot! That is amazing that they were so inexpensive! Wonderful!! Thank you Neal!!!!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5867269

You're most welcome :-) I love the way they do the herbs; they're priced per lb. and you scoop out the amount you want. With leafy herbs that are light weight they're amazingly cheap- I got about enough Basil for Joyce to fill about 3 typical spice jars, for all of 72 cents!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5867363

Good morning everyone
gonna try and hit the mall. Got to get some clothes for me that fit.Gaining 12 lbs don't help uhg. Then off to find T a gift . Ugh . Not an easy task at hand. Maybe i will just get him underwear. ? lolll and socks. He never likes anything i get him. I just don't want to even bother really. Oh well the vets will make out nice LOLLLL.
well i guess i should get dressed.
take care
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5867473

Good Morning... Wow, everyone has been busy with family and Christmas stuff already... Good for you!! George, the ornaments look lovely. I esp. like the rosebuds. BTW, I think you are about 4 hours from me, depending on whether you take the interstates or the back roads.

It is just gorgeous outside with the bright sunshine on the new snow! Makes me feel better about working in the kitchen, which doesn't have enough light to suit me. I need to make about 3 batches of biscotti, and might even thaw some zucchini for zucchini bread I make in the mini-loaves. I need something to take as a hostess gift for the very nice DG woman who gives me a place to sleep when I drive up to Charlottesville to see my liver doctor. I'll leave tomorrow morning, appts. are early Tuesday, and if the roads are bad I will stay over another night. I won't have time to get on the computer while I'm up there.

I need to get some laundry started, BBL...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5867604

Good morning, Everyone! Really cold here, too, but thankfully, no snow or ice!

Sue & Bonnie, Wait for me...I've got the clear liquid! LOL! Last bottle I bought came with a recipe booklet. We can have a tasting party!

George, the ornaments are beautiful! BTW, the trip to VA going through Hazard was beuatiful and easy, even with mountain roads. Most were 4 lanes. Just make sure you've got good weather for the trip, so you've got clear roads. I imagine those downhill slopes could get a little frightening with ice.

Still don't know when or where we're going...hate this being in limbo. Found a DG member to take care of my chickens at her place. Most everything here is put way and ready to be locked down, and we have most of the stuff packed that we'll be taking except for clothes. Just waiting for a phone call.

Dug out the Christmas stuff, so we could put up a tree and enjoy it a bit before we do leave. Not much else I could be doing, except maybe do a little cleaning...don't see that happening.

T & P for those that need them! Stay warm...Robin
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5867663

George...the ornaments are lovely. I have a guest room as well as Dusty, so no worries on where you would lay your head. :-)

Neal...I'm so excited about my herbs. I made a loaf of rosemary bread in my bread machine with the rosemary that's still looking fine outside. It has been a treat! I made some garlic bread using it and it was really really yummy. Good thing I only made 4 pieces cause I would have eaten however many there were!

Darius..that's nice that you have a place to stay and don't have to pay a hotel bill. I would do that for others from DG coming to our area, too.

Well, son needs a recipe for Cheezy potatoes, so I best get at it.

Stay safe and warm!
BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 7, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5867912

Joyce ..I see what I missed by not getting to come over for martinee's. That garlic bread or rosemary either one would have been yumee.

Dusty would really put me to shame with all you have gotten done this weekend. You didn't need a visitor but I will be over to see you all. This temperature has a deciding factor in my walking thru the woods to Grandma's house. You need to take a day for some R/R. Oh Dusty,
we have a wood buck stove in the basement anytime you need warmed to the bones come on over. It goes 24/7.It has us spoiled rotten. See you soon.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5867982

Afternoon all. This will probably be quick, as the kids are wanting to finish their Christmas lists! They seem to think they need a computer to do that. They go to Walmart.com or some other stores too...and just keep naming things they see. I told them to keep on wanting...LOL!! They sure do have some big ideas for as young as they are! Like...Dawson wants a Wii!! Oh...and a 4-wheeler too!!! NOT!!!
Anyway..the tree is up and decorated. They did a great job as usual! They even get up on the metal step stool and do the high branches. I will have to take a pic of it and show you all.
Dusty...I will get a pic of my purse too. Yeah...Dave has good taste!!
Neal...did I order anything from you??? LOL...can't remember?
Bertie...good to see you joining us here!!! Nothing like wood heat is there? We had a roaring fire going last night. Ours is a Vermont Castings stove...but we don't burn it all the time. It will heat our whole house though!
Well...I better get the rest of their lists going here, before their mom and dad come get them.
Waving~~~~~~~~~~to EVERYONE!!!!! Have a wonderful day!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2008

Post #5868395

A good Frigid afternoon to you all...13* with a 2* wind chill here when I got up...It is up to 21 now... LOL
Even the dogs didn't want to go out...I refilled the bird feeders last night so they could have a full tummy this morning earlyand they have dropped the thistle level by over 3 inches already...I have a little squirrel sitting under it catching all of the dropped seeds...Chickadees, finches, cardinals and doves everywhere...I love it!!

I needed to go to the garage to get the Christmas bins, so I moved my metal arch around to the front of the house to the walkway...I drug my lighthouse down to the pond, and the patio is nearly cleared off...That was driving me batty too...I brought alot of it in last night...Most needs to go to the basement so I'm taking it down today as I go to do laundry...I hate steps, so I'm making good use of each trip...LOL

I am in the process of finishing up the dining room now...I just got the huge mirror hung up over the library cabinet, the mantle is done, and all that is left is to clean off the table and bar cart, and vacuum...

The bed frame in my room is FINALLY together...That thing is a real bear to do, and once it is up, there is no moving it...so I had plenty of time to decide exactly where I wanted it...Getting it there was an entirely different issue...LOL...Finish vacuuming, hang drapes, which are in the washer, and I'm done at last in there...

Supper tonight is white beans with ham and cornbread...another easy meal, and not one thankfully I need to stand there and watch...

I'll catch up with you all later on...

Y'all have a great evening...Prayers in the Smoke for all...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5868453

Dusty, I wanna come have dinner at your house!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5868592

Dusty i found them shells for you. Lots of small ones and lots of clam shells too there is about 3 sandwich bags full or more ? . Savannah claimed the two big ones sorry lol
i got a box for you with some other stuff. Maybe we can plan a day and T and i can drive up for a short visit. to see the new house and Joyce and Bertie. :) too
shopping was a bust .T is still out getting a toy for Austin. I found Blah at the mall. Grrrr. Got T two Clint movies and Jess the movie Rovky Horror Pic show .
Ok not much here got to feed the kids . Oh i got my Janet Jackson music playing Rythm Nation I love that song
ttyl
sue
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5868872

Sue, I think we need to do the "time warp" on your front porch! It's just a jump to the right!! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5869191

I have to play ketchup tomorrow.
You all have been busy!!

We got the Window Seat done and it just needs to be iced.
Robyn's thinking beadboard walls and a tile seat.
Her Room ... Her Call! LOL!
The Closet Shelves are now cut.
So we will FINALLY be able to get this place organized.
First time since Spring!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5869210

Neal - let me know how much I owe you, and an d-mail me an address to send it to you and I will get a check right out to you, ok?
Thanks again!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #5869467

I have been gone from 8:30 till about 6:00 tonight. Long long, day.

This morning we headed out to church, and then, stopped by home and picked up food that I had prepared in the wee hours this morning, and headed out to my family's Christmas dinner. We left there about 3:00 and stopped by home to pick up DGD's belongings, and I took her home. When I finally got home at 6:00, had several phone calls, and a couple to return, so didn't get to actually sit until about 8:30, then watched Desperatve Housewives, the only tv I do. Whew.

Dusty, slow down, you are just a blur on this monitor!! Glad that you accomplished so much.

Marcy, I think kids are born with wish lists in their heads. And usually something that is too advanced for their years. Glad that the tree turned out good.

Bertie, over the river and through the woods, yep, you got to go a visiting. Oh, no, a vision just passed through my head, instead of a duo, there is gonna be 3 in that area and separately, each docile individuals, but oh, my when you get the 3 of you together, do you realize that this could have National News potential?

Ric, so glad that things are winding down at your place with the building/remodeling. You did all the he man work, and Robin can pretty it up!! You make a good team.

~~ to everybody else that I didn't mention, you are all important to me, but it is the problem that I have with this swiss cheese brain, CRS.

Good night.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #5869663

Bons dear...If you were to walk in here now, you would think I'm a slob...
I have been like a butterfly today...Flitting from one room to the other...When I have to wait on something in one room, I go back to another...I am now hereby officially fried...aka...worn out...
I still have sheets in the dryer cause I set it wrong, and they were still damp...which means I still have 2 beds to make before I can crash and burn...

We have to be out of here by 7:30 to be at the Base by 8:30 for Jims first appt...Yeppers.. I see what time it is...Tired??? WHO ME????

Sleep tight yall...
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
6:25 AM

Post #5869774

The tree is up! It's starting to feel like Christmas. We have bought all the kids presents(started way early this time). Now I just need to buy them the always Christmas gift of socks and undie's. I am not cooking a dinner on Christmas, just the kids Christmas eve "party" I think I also have most of the ingredients for that party also. Now to relax and enjoy Christmas...
The tree

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #5869777

Different angle with the mantle. I didn't take the deer antlers down, so thats what the pointy things coming out of the wreath are. Now the tree just needs presents. I will do a door wreath, I'm cheating and using last years with some added stuff. I also will do something on the dining and living room table. Just not in the mood to do that yet.
George

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5870082

George,
That's sooo pretty! Love your ornaments.
Today we plant to put our tree up, it's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.
I think I'll go get the new Elvis: Christmas Duets CD to serenade us while we decorate.

Dove

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5871232

hey all
its me on a skidsteer. T finaly got in it. yikes .

Thumbnail by taynors

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5871285

Great pic, Sue--looks like you're having a great time! George, your ornaments are gorgeous. They are prettier than expensive ones I've seen in stores!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #5871993

Hey all! Checking in.

Snowy. Cold and gray. No change predicted.

My neighbor friend brought me a sausage and pepper sandwich from her friends sandwich shop and it was delicious! She and I sat and went through a lot of my seeds to see what I am gonna put in the garden since it looks like I am here for a while. Little house is still on the market though (no lookers yet).

God it throwing me some hints and I am paying attention. Did anyone read that Columbus is one of the top 10 cities for business? Interesting...

George love your tree. Darius I hope your chin is doing better. Hey Bonnie, Jules,Ric and Rob, Cookie, Dusty, Sue, Momma Chele, MsRob, Marcy, Lana, Dovey, and Bertie (even if I don't know you Hi anyway) Lou (I know you are watching)...and anyone I may have missed.

Gonna go back into hibernation!

BTW...anyone have a recipe for Neck Pumpkin Squash ? Is it just for pies or can you do other things with it like Butternut? Someone sent me some seed and I it looks interesting. Gonna check it out on the web.

((((((((((((C Ya))))))))))))))))

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5872342

Toni me dearlin...Columbus is by FAR closer to me and Bertie and the bratty baby Sis Cookie...Yeah Buddy it is!!!!
Clean that house out...Stage it, or lease it to well checked out tennants and get on down heah...

This is my second favorite Pumpkin soup recipe...My first is nothing more than pumpkin/squash of any kind, onions, neck bones or oxtails, garlic and salt & pepper and you can use leeks sliced paper thin instead of the onions...That is one I got in Haiti in the late 70's...

Pumpkin soup

Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes. With roasted fresh pumpkin as its base, this easy-to-make soup is accented with sage and spice. Notes: You can make the soup through step 3 up to 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Reheat over medium heat, covered, stirring often.

Yield
Makes 10 to 12 servings

Ingredients
1 leek (8 oz.)
2 tablespoons butter
2 carrots (8 oz. total), peeled and coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery (4 oz.), rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 cups Mashed Pumpkin
1/2 cup apple cider or juice
1 green apple (8 oz.), peeled, cored, and chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves or dried sage
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Salt and pepper

Prepare the next two items ahead of time and keep in the fridge
About 1 cup crème frâiche or sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel zest

Preparation

1. Trim and discard root end and tough dark green tops from leek. Slice leek in half lengthwise and rinse well, flipping layers under cool running water to remove dirt. Slice thinly crosswise.

2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, melt butter. Add leek, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic; stir often until onion is limp, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth, Mashed Pumpkin, apple cider, apple, ginger, sage, cinnamon, and allspice; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.

3. Whirl soup, a portion at a time, in a blender (holding lid down with a towel) until puréed, and pour into a bowl. Return all soup to pan and stir often over med. heat until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup crème frâiche or sour cream and lemon peel zest. Ladle soup into bowls or mugs. Garnish with a dollop of crème frâiche if desired. You can also add finely chopped chives to this mixture

Thumbnail by DustyDS

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5872518

I got the tree up
Big improvement over last year (no tree at all)
Looks great

Dusty your pumpkin sound sounds great I'm going to give it a go

Cheers
Dove
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5872572

Hey everyone...good evening! First of all..I wanted to share this email I just received with you all.

This should boggle your mind . . .

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spent $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 each minute.

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1st to March 17th than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target+ Sears + Costco & K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. Most don't speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind that they did
this in 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 grocery chains sought bankruptcy (e.g. Winn-Dixie).

9 Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approximately 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers.
This is 1,000 more stores than they had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 72 billion different purchasing experiences will happen in Wal-Mart stores.
This is eleven (11) times the population of the earth.

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

So, let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street . . . No, better yet, let's just let Wal-Mart run our Government and get it straightened out!!!!!!

Isn't that something?????
It just blew my mind!!
Ok...next is a pic of our Christmas tree!!
Will do another post to follow.

Edited to remove some stuff not needed here.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2008 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5872637

Ha!! Didn't even realize I cut the angel off the top of the tree!! I am such a good photographer...LOL!
George...your tree looks great!
Jules...so glad you tried the pie again...and it worked for you!
Does anyone make carmel corn here? With an easy recipe...like microwave???? If so ...would you share??
Dusty glad to hear you are getting straightened around.
I found out today what those decorations are on my new purse. It is called needle felting. Had never heard of it before. I was in Hobby Lobby today...and happened to see a book on it...and immediately knew that is what was on my purse! Sooooooo...I bought a little purse kit...just a small one...so I can learn to do it! It looks easy enough. Someday soon, I am going to make an eye appt...and get my eyes checked...so I can get back to doing some things...like quilting, and this needle felting. I have put it off long enough!
Ok, Dusty...here is a pic of the purse. It is wool (needle felting) on pure linen. It is lined inside with a cotton print, and has a leather strap.
The kit I bought is a very small bag. It might hold my sunglasses...LOL!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5872798

Marcy- I make this every year.(It is getting hard to find brown paper grocery bags around here. The few I get during the year are reserved for making Carmel Corn>)

Microwave Carmel Corn
Fix two batches of popcorn
Place Popped pop corn in a brown grocery sack that has the inside bottom half sprayed with Pam

In microwave safe dish , combine 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup margarine, 1/4cup light Karo syrup and 1/2 tsp. salt--stir and cook 2 min and stir, cook 2 more min and stir then add 1/2 tsp baking soda- stir and pour on popcorn and stir to cover popcorn.
fold top of bag loosely to fit into microwave-cook (on high) 1 1/2 min-stir-cook 11/2 min stir and cook 45 sec.

Cool and enjoy.

Ovens vary , and this recipe is old and was one of the very first microwave recipes better homes and gardens published. I sorta watch mine and use less time between stirrings if it looks like it is getting too hot.

Lou
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5872899

Good evening folks. Lou, that recipe sounds easy and good too. May just have to make some, if I can find a paper bag that is. I looked for a paper bag to hold my geraniums this year, and could not find one. I was prepared to pay for it as well.

Did my Christmas cards today, got them addressed, but need to make a trip to the post office to get stamps. So tomorrow they will go out in the mail.

Toni, I have never heard of the neck pumpkin squash. So don't have a clue what that could be. We have cushaw, which has a neck, and it is very similar to pumpkin, and pretty versitile too.

Dusty, I have never had pumpkin soup, so don't know whether I would like it or not. May have to try a trimmed down batch of your recipe.

Marcy, love the e-mail. Since the government can't keep us afloat, and the car companies are holding out their hands, as well as wall street, maybe there is some sanity in that idea.

I am getting another sinus infection. Drat. Called the Dr office today to get a refill on some decongestant, and will pick up some tomorrow. I am doing the warm salt water inhaling, bout the only thing I know to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated, if you know other remedies.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008

Post #5872979

Hey Lou...thanks!!! One question... Two batches of popcorn...would amount to about how much????? 4 qts? The reason I ask, is because I have a bunch of little bags of microwave popcorn that I didn't particularly like...and was going to use it up this way. So I kinda need a measurement if possible.
Bonnie, have you ever tried those Zicam swabs? I used them...and liked them! Think I used them for a cold...but they might help a sinus thingy too?
Oh...and you know what? I never thought about the brown paper bag disappearance...but hmmmmmm...wonder if I can find one??????
They don't even say paper or plastic anymore do they???? Except MAYBE at Dave's little grocery in town!! Wooohooooooo!! I just asked him...and they have them!!!!!!!!!! I'm in luck!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #5873056

Marcy, Dave may have a new sideline job, selling off the stores paper bags!! Of course for only very important things like Lou's Caramel corn, and storing geraniums. LOL

I take the Ziacam lozenges when I think a cold may be headed my way, but have never tried them for the sinus. Since I have stocked up on them, may give it a try, it can't hurt anything.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #5873091

LOL Bonnie!!! I'm pretty sure I don't have any paper bags here...so will have to ask him to bring me one or two tomorrow..if he can. I hang my geraniums from wire strung across my fruit cellar. Just mist them a few times over the winter...and they come back to life in the spring!!
Psssssst!! If you need a brown paper bag...I can probably get you one!! LOL!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5873197

Thanks for the offer Marcy, I can probably find one locally.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5873743

I'm cracking up over the paper bag talk. Most of the time baggers just toss everything into plastic bags. Hubby was not paying attention the other day and everything went into paper bags, not that it really matters. But when he came home, the kids went nuts asking questions about the paper bags. I guess it had been awhile since they had seen paper bags. LOL
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5873863

Marcy your tree is great, just full of pretty ornaments and purse is so cute, that would look great on a sweeter too (the needle felting) not the whole purse. ;-)

Badseed, funny about your kids and the paper bags...
try having a discussion with them about not having a remote to the TV when you were growing up. That people actually had to get up to change the channel. That TVs only had (at the most) 10 channels, and no such thing as a DVD player.
My daughter's kids always get a kick out of her "primitive" stories and she's only 37.

Dove

I thought I would add to the pumpkin soup recipe collection this is:
Thai-Style Chicken Pumpkin Soup

1 TB EVOO (I used a little olive and a little coconut oil)
6 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1" cubes
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
1 TB minched fresh ginger
1/2 to 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 stalks of celery trimmed and diced
1 can (15oz) pumpkin
1 can Coconut Milk
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 TB rice vinegar
1/2 cup fresh cilantro minced and divided
2 to 4 cups hot cooked rice (jasmine or basmati)
3 green onions minced
1/2 cup roasted, chopped peanuts
lime wedges

Saute chicken in oil over medium heat approx. 3 min. Add onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper. Cook for 1 or 2 more minutes until fragrant.

Transfer chicken mixture to crockpot. Add celery, carrots, pumpkin, coconut milk, lime juice, peanut butter, broth and 2 cups of water. Stir and cover. Cook on LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.

Stir in rice vinegar and 1/4 cup of cilantro.

To serve, put rice in soup bowls. Ladle soup around rice and sprinkle with remaining cilantro, green onions and peanuts. Squeeze fresh lime over the soup if desired.

Freezes well.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5873914

When I worked at Kroger, there was actually a joke among the baggers. They would ask "choke a fish (plastic) or kill a tree (paper)?". Anymore, they shove everything into plastic unless you ask for paper.

I remember when I was 16 and we moved. We only moved three blocks and in our neighborhood, you could not get cable. Several months or a year later, cable came to our area. At that time, there was a big long cord that connected to your TV with a box and buttons. My kids would seriously rebel if they saw that! Not to mention the dog/kids would probably rip the TV off the stand, fighting the cord! I also just remembered that our cable would go out every time it rained. Ahh, technology!

My girls like to give us fits over how old we are! They especially rib my husband about when he was a caveman, wrote on walls, etc. His favorite joke is that he used to be an abacus repair man. Geesh.

We'll be trying something different for dinner tonight. I found it on some quick and easy budget recipe site. It has boxed stuffing, chicken, cream of mushroom and cheese soup, etc. I wonder if they will rebel...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5873919

Just quickly checking in, gotta get dressed to go to a funeral :-(

Wanted to let y'all know I got the herbs and spices in the mail yesterday and to be on the lookout for them. I put them in bubble envelopes I've received seeds in, and dropped those into manila folders. I wrote how much the herbs were on the bubble envelopes, and postage is stamped on the outside.

Dusty, yours and Cookies are together going to Cookies addy; be sure to remember to change your info in the address exchange :-)

Loving the pumpkin soup recipes! Been hunting for some.

Waves and Hugs,
Neal
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5873950

Yay! Pepper's on its way! Please let us know what we owe ya, Neal.

Chele, I remember those cable boxes with buttons! Now we can send TV wirelessly through our homes using computers as home servers...It's just amazing.

I mean, think about how far we've come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwqPOkcXrYQ&NR=1 LOL
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5873981

WooHoo!!! I'll be on the lookout! And now I have garlic too!!! :O)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5874001

Neal, I'm sorry to hear about the funeral.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5874011

Kimberley, strange but funny video! Maddie was cracking up.

I've been practicing my "mean mom" skills. The kids are not allowed to turn the TV on until 8pm, after homework and dishes. :)
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5874099

Marcy-- just pop enough to fill about half of the grocery bag. It usually will fit in one of the tins they sell with popcorn and carmel corn at Christmas time. Lou
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5874268

Morning everyone. Thanks Lou...that sounds reasonable. Well got supper in the crockpot...cubed steaks with mushrooms...yum!!
It isn't often we eat much beef, but once in a while it just sounds GOOD!
Think I will finish the Christmas decorations today...but first I am going to see if I can climb the stairs...while Dave is here! He has to go to work at noon.
Thanks Dovey! All my decorations are from years past...some made by kids...some were from our parents' collections too. I treasure all of them! And my gkids do a wonderful job with putting them on the tree. I never change a thing! Well...except when Mandy cat knocks one down, and I have to put it back...lol. So far, she has only messed with one this year.
Ok...gonna get to the stairs!
Have a great day everyone!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008

Post #5874270

Go, mean mom! Nice to see someone doing that!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5874284

Oh, Marcy, cats and Christmas...Sigh. I was wrapping our friends' presents Sunday afternoon, just in time for them to get here and open them, when our big, fluffy Siamese mix Snoopy nabbed one of the pieces of curling ribbon and walked out the office door with it. She paused in the doorway when I called out her name in exasperation, dropping it. When I started up out of my chair, she grabbed it again and dashed through the hallway and living room with me in pursuit. Little pipsqueak! Fortunately, it was a long piece of ribbon and it extended well past the coffee table under which she'd hidden. She's as bad as a dog. LOL
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5874616

LOL love this mental picture I have of that GW!

Marcy, you be careful girlfriend!

Neal, sorry you have lost someone at this time of year. I always especially feel bad for those who will always be thinking of that lost one at the holiday time.

Hope you all are well today!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5874786

LOL Kimberley! I can just 'see' that too! Our Mandy is the nosiest animal alive! She has to check out everything that comes into this house. But she also 'knows' what she is allowed to do...and not allowed to do...which..doesn't stop her from doing it necessarily!!
Dovey...yes...that needle felting can be done on wool or cotton material...not just sure how that works yet though. It uses a special needle that has barbs along it...and it makes the wool roving lock into the base material if it's wool. I think..not positive about this yet...but I think you have to use a piece of wool with the cotton material for it to work. I got two books on the subject...and I know one book says it will only work on 100% wool...but in the other book..I saw them talking about wool blends and cotton. Sooooooo...more reading to do!!
Well Joyce...I am in one piece!! I went all the way up the stairs..17 I think...with no problem!! And that being with the railing on the wrong side for me! Coming down was even easier! So I AM getting better!! Yay for me!!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5874817

I second that!!! YAY for you!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5874839

Marcy, if you search YouTube for needle felting, you will see some great how-to videos. Also try needlefelting. I was curious about it after I heard the term. It doesn't look very difficult and I love the finished product!

Snoopy is a little chunk under all that hair. She walks so heavily for a cat, too. My mother-in-law says she can hear her thumping around on the hardwood floors. LOL Howie came up with a great nickname for her...Thudmuffin.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5874954

Hey thanks Kimberley! I will do that!!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5875123

Thudmuffin...love it!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5875372

Kimberley...I have just spent most of the afternoon looking at YouTube videos on needle felting...and reading websites too! Thank you again so much! There seems to be an awful lot of things you can do with this!! Now I best get busy on some things around here!!
I like that Thudmuffin too!! Cute!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5875393

Hey, I'm just dropping by with a quick question.

Has anybody had contact lately with Melissa_Ohio? I just got an answer back from admin that her last activity on DG was November 10. She's gone missing from the tomato seed RR she was hosting, just after posting on the 8th that she was planning to send seeds out that Monday. I think that's really unlike her to vanish like that, and I'm worried that something may be very wrong.

I was just lurking in that RR and not participating, but nobody has posted about receiving seeds, either. I'm not worried about the tomato seeds (I don't think she absconded with them, LOL, much as she loves tomatoes); I'm just hoping she's OK.

If anybody has a way to contact her, please do so!

The link to the tomato seed RR is here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/909764/#new If you find out anything, please let the folks there know... they're concerned about her.

I thought about posting a new thread on the ORV forum, but I think most of her DG friends are following these threads.

Thanks!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5875452

Thanks y'all. Its been an emotional day. It was my cousin, Lois, who died; she was 82, a year older than my mother (her aunt), and she and Mom were always close. She was around a lot throughout my childhood and has been a constant presence and support for Mom and sis with the progression of Mom's dementia. So often she's been the only one who could get Mom to smile or laugh on her bad mood days. While she had been having health issues, she was still living alone and driving.

Cookie, you mentioned the pain of losing someone at this time of year, and I was thinking on this today. Lois lost her only daughter to suicide on Christmas day 16 years ago, and it was always so painful for her during the holidays. I find some peace that she won't have to endure that again.

The rain held out till after the graveside service, it was windy, but mild and fairly sunny. I was thankful for that.

I'm anxious to try these pumpkin soup recipes! My sister tried a pumpkin scallop soup at a restaurant and said it was wonderful. I think shrimp would work well too. Seems like pumpkin would work well in a curry too.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5875470

Neal, so sorry for your loss. Now she will be reunited with her long-lost daughter and her beloved aunt.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5875871

Neal so sorry for your family's loss. God bless you and your's.

Nope Jill, I haven't heard from Melissa since I got back on now that I think about it.
Wonder what's up with her...

Just popping in not much happening this way. Will check in a bit later.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5875939

Neal...so sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is never easy.
I haven't seen Melissa on either or heard anything from her???? Does anyone remember her saying something about having to get a new computer the last time she was on??? Or did I just imagine that????

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5876103

Hi folks... I'm back at home. Skipped all the posts except the last 2-3 to note Neal had a family loss. ((((Neal)))) I'll try and read the middles tomorrow.

Trip went well although long, and the roads were merely wet, not slick (and got gas for $1.249!); doctor is mostly pleased but has some concerns... so next week it's back to UVa for some tests. Pray for good weather/roads!

I need a nap... these old bones tire easily from long road trips.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5876193

Twin_Lakes_Chef did post on the tomato RR thread to say Melissa was getting a new computer, so maybe that's why she's offline... but I'm still concerned since being offline wouldn't cause her to not get those seed packets out... she's usually right on top of anything like that, as I recall.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5876267

((Neal))
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5876270

I have her phone number. I'm waiting for things to quiet down a bit then I'll give her a call.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5876277

Thank you! Looks like I posted in the right place. :-)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5876692

Evening folks, I have had a busy day, woke up with a sinus headache again, (no wonder with this weather), but decided to go to the post office and bank, and then decided I may feel worse, so headed out to finish the Christmas shopping. About half way to my destination, it started to pour the rain, and I didn't have an umbrella so I have been out in this rain all afternoon. The good news is, I only have one more gift to buy!!

Marcy, great going girl, was the stair climbling just a test? Loved your tree, and the gks did a very good job on it.

Neal, so sorry for your loss. I too am glad that she won't spend another miserable holiday missing her daughter. They can be together this year.

Kimberly, love the nickname that Howie tacked on to the kidden.

With the internet, I think you can find demonstrations of just about anything. Great visual, as I have trouble sometimes following written instructions, but if I can see it, I usually grasp the whole concept.

~~~ to anybody I didn't comment to, you are no less important in my little brain.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
5:33 AM

Post #5876988

Thanks for calling Chele. Sorry i didn't get to return your call, but I didn't get home until after 11, and I wasn't sure if you'd still be up.

A lot of things going on in the last month--I won't bore anyone with the details.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #5876997

Melissa, you could never bore us. So are you okay?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #5877173

Melis, ya gotta give us more than that! Try to bore me, hehe, do you worst...bet ya can't! Seriously, do check back in. You've been on my mind, hoping you're ok ((((())))))

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5877390

We 've missed you Melissa !
good morning to everyone
not much going on here
just hoping our new reciever comes today so we can get tv again. Boring iwth out it . uhg. Things could be worse.
Bonnie hope you feel better soon and glad you only have one gift left to get. :)
((((( Neil ))))) T&P to you and yoru family
Chelle how is the tummy going ? baby kicking up a storm ?
darius glad dr says things are well for you. I hope his concerns are not to worry some for you. Stay warm my friend. Get them bones some ginger tea. OH that remeinds me did i post some other ginger tea recieps here ? on is a chai ginger tea made wiht rice milk.
LMK ok
HI Jazz !!! hows the family . What does the kiddo want from santa ?
Toni how are things in your neck of the woods ? is that neighbor of yours still a pest meanie lady. ?
how is the courtship with your other neighbor ? HMMMM * giggle,wink*
stay dry everyone and have a good day
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5877587

Good Morning! I actually had a fair night's sleep so I'm feeling decent for a change. Too bad it's wet outside today... I'd love to get the rest of my raspberries moved. But, the rain is SO welcome that the soil is applauding.

Melissa, glad to see you popping back in!

Neal, I did your trick and stopped at the co-op in Roanoke to replenish my herbs and spices. Only thing I didn't get was rubbed sage... they don't carry it in that form. Years ago, I was the herb/spice buyer for a co-op when I lived in Annapolis, and I bought mainly from Frontier. Anyone can buy from them now, even single small jars of herbs, but their wholesale co-op pricing (only in one pound bags) is the best.

Since the closest co-op for my area is a hundred miles, I'm toying with the idea of starting one here, just for those dry goods. I've approached the DG Marketplace about selling them on here, but Dave probably won't approve it. That would open the doors to selling home-grown dried herbs and spices, with the risk of unsanitary stuff. I couldn't sell them at my local farmer's market either, but only because I didn't grow them.

While I was in the Big City of Charlottesville, I did some shopping, mostly foods I cannot get here. But I also bought a Christmas gift for myself! I found a Cuisinart Food Processor with a 600 watt motor at 1/3 off, so I bought it. I've never owned a food processor. Every year recently I try to save for a big-ticket item. Last year it was my Excalibur Dehydrator, and the year before, a Mantis tiller. Next year I hope for a Country Living grain mill, but they are VERY pricey.

I'm just blabbing, so I guess I need to go do some work...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5877606

Darius, I'm glad to hear you got a good night's sleep. So much falls into place once you can sleep. :)

Melissa, you won't bore us, believe me. I'd wondered where you'd been, but until Jill posted and Chele said she'd call, I didn't act on the concern and drop you a note. I hope you and your family are okay.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008

Post #5877823

darius. One of them grain mills would be awsome !!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5877830

Good morning all!
Melissa...bore us!!! Like Neal said!! We want to hear what's been going on in your life! We missed you!!
Darius...a good night's sleep sure does make a difference, doesn't it??? I have been sleeping pretty well since I started taking the two Vicodin at night. In fact...shhhhhhhhhh...the RLS seems to have subsided for a bit lately!! Since that is the only Vicodin I take now...I am going to give it a try without it...and see how it goes. Would love to get completely off it. I get so tired of taking pills.
Oh and Darius...WTG on the Cuisinart!!! I have just a cheapy food processor...GE I think...and I love it!
Thanks Bonnie! It WAS a test! I wanted to see if I could do it...but wanted Dave to be here when I did it first time. It was no problem...so now I can go up when I please! Of course...I am careful.
Ok...get this one everybody. We have a wood floor in our kitchen/dining area. I had braided rugs there...that were falling apart. When I had knee surgery they said to take up all throw rugs for safety. So we did. We took all those rugs out. Now...Dave and I had talked about how we needed new rugs anyway. So last night I was looking on the internet at new braided rugs. I showed some to him...and he says...well I would just rather have the bare floor!! I asked him why? And he says...because it's easier to clean that way!! Well...I got upset! I am supposed to do without rugs because he does the cleaning??? Rugs look nice on there! Besides...they are warmer too.
Think I will just tell him I am going to run the vaccum from now on!!!
Ok...letting off steam here!! Someone sympathize with me!!! :)) Think I will wait until today is over though..since it's cleaning day...LOL!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5877840

I think my throw rugs downstairs (kitchen, hallway) help with the cleaning situation... a lot of dirt and debris gets trapped in them rather than being tracked all over the house. Shake them out, and it's gone. :-)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5877904

I agree Critter!! Good point..that I will bring up to him...thanks!!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5877927

Marcy, you're one smart cookie...oh did someone say cookie?????
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5877968

Good morning...or almost afternoon. ((((((((((Melissa))))))))))) Good to see ya. Glad you resurfaced and hopeful nothing serious was the problem.

Not much going on around here. Believe it or not I have a very big reputation for being undomesticated (no surprises there). But I have had a lot of neighbor kids help me with the garden and lawn because of the broken toes so I am looking for recipes for Christmas cookies for them. What the heck it should be fun.

Anyway gonna go scour the net for easy to make cookies now.

You all have a great rest of the day!

Toni
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5877997

Here are some of my favorite recipes for Christmas or anytime... just bumped up the thread... can't go wrong with chocolate chip cookies, and the triple chocolate one or cocoa snowflakes (further down in the thread) look great with the regular ones on a cookie plate!

Then bake biscotti for yourself with the leftover egg whites...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/561548/
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5878069

I like to check this thread at work when I get a minute, and I have to do that with my phone. I hope no one minds if I start a new thread? This one is getting a bit long for that. It works like dial up. Give me a minute...

We are continued to here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/931439/

This message was edited Dec 10, 2008 12:21 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America