Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Introduction to Ornamental Figs in Cultivation: Some fig roots are mind boggling!

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Ornamental Figs in Cultivation
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to Ornamental Figs in CultivationReplies: 2, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5859505

Hi Geoff,

I enjoyed your article but I better now show my husband yet!!! Some of the fig roots in your photos are mind boggling, yikes, and are our recent concern. Let me quickly explain...my husband is so proud of our front brick path that he installed himself. Last spring I planted a fig tree next to it. It is not a Banyan Tree, just a common Ficus carica 'Brown Turkey' . I had heard from a DGer in Greece that I better move our newly planted tree because the roots might wreck our brick pathway. Some of the photos you show here are our biggest fear :0

Happy & Healthy Gardening!
~Diana

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #5860428

I don't think F carica roots are too destructive, at least not until the tree gets really huge and old. You are probably OK

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5862158

Thanks, we weren't sure, I'll pass your thoughts on to my husband. If our tree survives this winter, I would like to just leave it alone :)

Thanks for an interesting article,
~DW

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Ornamental Figs in Cultivation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article leeflea51 3 Dec 4, 2008 9:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America