Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Propagation: lilac propagation

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 14, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

December 5, 2008
6:39 AM

Post #5860578

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck propagating the lilac tree from cutting. If so would they mind sharing some tips with me please. Syringia
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5863031

I haven't done it myself, but my book said spring cuttings were the way to go.

HTH!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

December 6, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #5863543

Thank you for repling to my query.Pagancat. I would still like to hear from anyone that has actually had any luck. thank you.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5864615

Sure thing - I'm sure someone else will be along soon!
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5905476

I just noticed your question. There are many ways to root a lilac. If you will do some research on this site you will find directions for hardwood cuttings and softwood cuttings. I expect either of these methods will work depending on the time of the year. The easiest way to root a lilac is to find a volunteer shoot under the tree that you can dig up. They will already have roots and will be from a seed from the tree. I am currently over wintering some cuttings in a bed which is outside under the snow now. I don't know for sure, but expect they will root. You might even try bringing in a cutting about 6 inches long and putting it into some water and see if it comes to life.

I have found from this site that there are many ways to root a cutting and everyone has their favorite and they all seem to work for some people. I built a bubbler unit and plan to try some lilac hardwood cuttings in it this month. It will obviously take some time to know the success or failure.

Good luck!
garyt
Presque Isle, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5905656

Soft wood cuttings an be taken just before and after the spring flowering, for a total of about four weeks. The will not root at other times. The commercial growers use tissue culture.

Garyt
garyt
Presque Isle, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5905674

Here is a link for syringa propagation .http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:mo5sDU2mbaAJ:www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Syringa.pdf+syringa+propagation&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Garyt
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5908420

Great information garyt. Is this from a book? I would love this level of information for other plants.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

January 9, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #5986215

layering also works with lilacs have had sucess doing it that way bend a branch to soil level nick the branch with a sharp knife and put rooting hormone on it then bury it. Place a rock or something to hold it in place and water well. It may take longer but it will for foots and is still on mother palnt to provide whats needed. when roots for you can cut from mother plant may take a full season
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

January 9, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #5986223

for foots means form roots (big figers here and little keys ) lol should of previewed b4 posting
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

January 10, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #5987698

This is probably the wrong board for your question, ctmorris. This board is mostly comprised of people who never grew lilacs (true southern Americans---think Sydney North), or people who grew them up north, loved them, and thought they could grow them down here (I'm in that group!). I'm convinced now that Lilacs won't grow in most parts of the Carolinas (after multiple failures in both North and South Carolina). Suspect they could get them to grow in Tasmania, or in isolated cooler spots on the mainland, but it would be spotty at best, and highly dependent on local microclimates...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
6:57 AM

Post #5987987

StonoRiver, What zone are you in? I live in Indiana and we grow lilacs here I am in a zone 6. I would think you would be too though I maybe wrong.
sandy0225
Muncie, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6033757

I dug up shoots from the bottom of the bush. If they have even a tiny bit of whitish root at the bottom they'll root in promix hp with shade and moisture. Then if you keep them in the pots, they sucker like crazy and you can divide them whenever you want.
beakerlj
Galien, MI

January 22, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6036986

Hi, I have propagated 2 kinds of lilacs successfully, Korean and common. The absolute easiest way is dividing out a sucker, cutting it off from the main plant, but leaving it in the ground for another few week. Dividing it out when dormant is best. I also used softwood cuttings in the spring, and got hundreds that way. It took a while - they aren't the fastest to root(2+ months), and disliked too much moisture once the roots started. I had root hormone, intermittent mist, and took them in June after blooming. Layering is another easy way to get them if you want little work, and only a couple of plants, and have a year to wait. The plant that comes from layering will probably be larger and healthier than a cutting.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 16, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9168124

flowerfantasy... I live in the Charleston, S.C. area, which is "blessed" with a myriad of micro-climates. We were always listed in the past as an 8b climate. But many "zone 8" plants struggled, and I quit trying to fool with them. Years ago, I switched to planting only zone 9-10 plants, and they're all happy and continue to thrive. Not so the "certified 8b" plants...they're all dead or dying. The "Government" is always the last the last to know anything...but this time I think they got one right... (probably by mistake)...We're now officially considered Zone 9A, which more fits my experience here...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America