Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Thorny-Green Vine, Black Berries and golden leaves

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Alaskabound
Plano, TX

December 5, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5862571

Thumbnail by Alaskabound
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Alaskabound
Plano, TX

December 5, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5862576

Vine

Thumbnail by Alaskabound

Alaskabound
Plano, TX

December 5, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5862580

Leaves

Thumbnail by Alaskabound

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #5862595

A Smilax...possibly this one? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/86256/
Alaskabound
Plano, TX

December 5, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5862610

I think your right. It looks very similar.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5862613

There are a couple similar vines, but this one is pretty common.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5864086

The leaves on the Similax auriculata are too narrow. The more likely candidate is Similax bona-nox:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/smilaxbona.htm
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31746/
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #5864103

melody, you are right that it is a Smilax. However, Similax auriculata does not grow natively in Oklahoma.
Alaskabound
Plano, TX

December 6, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5865483

It is, defintely a smilax. I went to some Bilogical surveys of Oklahoma done by Oklahoma University. I would suppose they would be the 'authorities' on the subject. Although MUCH of what universities learn is methodically kept secret (especially archaelogical data) I did find some biological surveys of Oklahoma. Problem was, the two I found, both by OU, did not match. They had different species on both! While some species such as Blackjack and Post Oak (Which if you did not include those in Oklahoma you might as well call yourself an amateur and not a University Proffessor) were on both, most were not congruent. While I am not putting down all University work, It does distress me that the surveys lack some common species like an extremely common cactus I see in the woods, which is completely absent.

Anyway, long story short, the species listed overall, are:

Smilax bona-nox
Smilax glauca
Smilax laurifolia
Smilax rotundifolia
Smilax smallii
Smilax tamnoides

I believe the one in the picture is Smilax bona-nox. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5865634

The USDA lists a couple more Smilax species:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=smilax&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US40&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

The Oklahoma Vascular Plants Database is upfront about being "..far from complete.", and plants aren't represented unless there's a voucher specimen in a state herbarium. It's a huge undertaking and there's probably not a lot of money for this kind of effort.

http://www.oknaturalheritage.ou.edu/plants_database_about.htm

There's an oak tree in a park in Maryland that has had the name tag changed several times! Some oaks are extremely difficult to ID, even comon ones.
Alaskabound
Plano, TX

December 6, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5865732

"There's an oak tree in a park in Maryland that has had the name tag changed several times! Some oaks are extremely difficult to ID, even comon ones."

Well I'm happy to hear that in a way. At least I am not the only one who thinks they got it figured out and then relizes there wrong!
There's always some look alike, or something.

And I understand about it bieng far from complete. I am just frustrated about these extremely common species, not being mentoined anywhere online for Oklahoma.They do a good job with the trees, virtually every site saying Post oak and Blackjack oak (as well as a couple others) are what you are GOING to see. Then, after making that clear, they provide a huge list of other possible trees that you MIGHT see. I wish they would do that with the other plants. For example, If you go to any forest in central Oklahoma, you are not only GOING to see the plant I have above, you are going to be surronded by it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America