Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners: Thank you, Todd

Communities > Forums > Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern GardenersReplies: 14, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5864271

Very enjoyable article on one of my favorite plants. I have many of those you named - 'Beni Gaku', 'Limelight', 'Blue Bird', 'Pink Diamond' and I also love the Tardiva family. I'd have to vote for 'Blue Bird' as my favorite since it changes colors so beautifully during the season.

I've often read that to help keep the pink ones remain pink they should be planted in pots and then the pot should be buried to keep the roots from absorbing the aluminum present in the soil. Wouldn't that mean I'd be digging it up once a year, or every other year, to re-pot and replant it?

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5864923

Great article, Todd. Many of us in the zone 5 and below want to grow hydrangeas and are starting to experiment. I have an Annabelle which is really doing well. I have an Endless Summer that bloomed the first year but not the second and a PennyMac which has never bloomed. But I think it is partly my own fault. I haven't fed them enough and watered them enough and have probably put them in too much shade.
I will move them and order some of the beauties you recommend.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5865749

Thank you, Todd, reading your articles alway is a joy. My garden is graced with various hydrangeas, and I love them too.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

December 8, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #5869975

Thank you Todd for a very interesting article. I have been growing many types of hydrangeas for about 20 years (zone 7b). I have discovered that by having the 4 main types of hydrangeas I have them blooming from May through October. The one that I recommend the most to people the the Grandiflora paniculata. It requires no care and blooms and blooms from July till October. Also, it is quite easy to root----and I have passed several on to friends. At the last count I think I have about 70 hydrangeas (many that I have rooted)--------and the majority of them are the macrophylla.

Shirleyd
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5870123

Shirley - do you prefer the Grandiflora paniculata over the Tardiva?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5870765

Having 70 hydrangeas sounds like pure heaven, Shirleyd.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5871050

pirl, to answer your question, all you have to do to retain the pink color in your hydrangeas is apply lime to the soil each spring to raise the pH. The aluminium ions in the soil can't be absorbed by the plant when the pH is too high (more alkaline). If you end up with purple blooms you'll know that you didn't add quite enough lime and to try a bit more next season.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #5871063

I do understand the addition of lime. My question was really about the need for digging up the pot - how often?

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5871116

You don't need the pot. Just lime the soil surrounding the plant and that will keep it from absorbing the Al.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5871175

Thanks. I was told by another DG person I'd need to keep it potted and add the lime to keep it pink. It's much easier not to have to keep digging up the pot as the rootball expands.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5871294

I think the potting method is going a bit too far. Yes, you may have to add more lime to the ground because some of it will leach out into the surrounding soil but it's a heck of a lot easier to add more lime than to dig the darned thing up every year or so! Besides, I'm sure you'll end up with a happier plant if it's allowed to spread its roots.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

December 9, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5873746

Pirl-----I very much prefer the grandiflora over the tardiva. The blooming time is much much longer---------in my area ---7b----starts blooming in July and continues until Oct. And, I find the bloom of the grandiflora much more impressive. Also, in the macrophyllas I no longer bother to root any lacecaps and have dug up and given away many of mine. The blooms are pretty when they first appear-----------but, the mophead lasts much, much longer and usually goes through beautiful changes in color. I do this replacing of plants because of limited space in my garden.
Squanto
Roseburg, OR

December 14, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5889459

I have seven Hydrangea plants, those on the deck still in bloom. All but one I started from cuttings, so I don't know what they are. I just cut them back to accomodate the pot or space. All are beautiful and different sizes and colors.

Thumbnail by Squanto

shirleyd
Starkville, MS

December 14, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5890083

Squanto-----your blooms are gorgeous-----------so beautiful for this time of the year. Mine are nothing but brown sticks.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5890146

This is one of my macrophylla H. at present. The dried flower head still is attractive even though the plant is completely dormant, and leafless.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shrubby Hydrangea for Northern Gardeners Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
H. macrocephala? plantfreak78 2 Dec 8, 2008 5:43 PM
Annabelle Hydrangea oldmandan 3 Dec 8, 2008 11:01 PM
Great info geraldine87 0 Dec 8, 2008 1:23 PM
My lovelies from zone 3 lynnann50 2 Dec 8, 2008 10:35 PM
Pruning Hydrangea? msbehavoyeur 3 Dec 9, 2008 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America