Hoop house/high tunnel

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I'd like to hear from folks who have purchased or built a hoop house. I'm wanting to put up one for our own use, so not too big. I've got Eliot Coleman's books and the Farm Tek catalog.

If you've purchased one, who from and how was the service?

If you've built one, any details or tricks you wish you'd known before you had spend half a day figuring it out. LOL

Jay

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Jay, we don't have a hoop house, but I can recommend FarmTek. We've gotten curtains for the barn from them twice, and the service has been very good.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I have 5 houses. Can't recommend one over the other because I bought them all used.

One is an Atlas, one is a Poly-Tex, couple I am not sure of brand. 5th is from a company in George, Iowa. All the companies were helpful if I needed parts or advice. Poly-Tex even sent me a manual for setting it up & a parts list.

These are all fairly large. The most I paid was $1800.00 & that one included 6 fans & some shutters, plus all the benches. A couple were only $500.00.

Keep yours eyes & ears open & you will find used ones. Probably have to take them down. I ran an ad in a local shopper paper & got a call for the Iowa one. The people had used it for a calf barn on their dairy farm. They retired from dairy so had no use for it.

Need any other help, D-mail me.

Bernie

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks Bernie. I'd love to find a used one, but there just aren't many in ranch country. Now, a cow tipper, that's easy! LOL I'll check into those other companies, thanks for the lead! =)

High tunnels are kind of a new idea around here. Catching on quick, though. I've been showing my Coleman books around and gotten lots of interest. Even met a couple who have built one.

Our local shopper paper has become so sorry, mostly scams and used cars. I used to pick up all sorts of neat stuff through it, but no more.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images