Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Holiday Traditions: CookieFest!: Great article

Communities > Forums > Article: Holiday Traditions: CookieFest!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Holiday Traditions: CookieFest!Replies: 31, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2008
9:47 AM

Post #5867061

I too love to bake for Christmas and I thought I baked lots of cookies but you girls certainly out do yourselves. I think it is wonderful. I would love to know some of your recipes. I used to try to bake two varieties every day of Advent so by Christmas I would have twenty to thirty different varieties. Into the freezer they go and not eaten till Christmas Day and into the Christmas season. Your baking day sounds great; lucky you to have your Mom to still do this with. Merry Christmas to you all. Joann
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #5867098

Really enjoyed the article.
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5867144

I love to make a lot of Christmas cookies too, but I usually stop at about 15 different recipes. Enjoyed your article.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5867239

Thanks All! I do indeed thank my lucky stars that I have this family. Lenjo, if any of those pictures look good to you, just let me know and I'll forward a recipe.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5867697

How wonderful... the article, the tradition, and of course the cookies!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5868100

This was a tradition when I was growing up and I loved it!! My dad's mom made so many different cookies, candies and yes...fruitcakes! My favorites were the Snickerdoodles and Mexican Wedding Cakes!

We always spent one evening making cutout sugar cookies at home when I was growing up. With my kids we did kind of you and had a weekend of cooking baking. Everyone had their own favorite to be made.

I was continuing it with my GD's. But now they are living with their mom and she seems to have no interest in doing these types of things. So when they come to visit, we always bake something!

Thanks for some warm memories Marna.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5868136

You know Nanny, keep it up, even if their Mom doesn't participate. They will love you for it. My Mom is a great baker and cook so she taught me all the important and difficult stuff, but I remember cooking with Gram because it was part of being spoiled by her. And that is a memory to be cherished.

Thanks Darius! I knew a fellow baker would love this article!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5868904

Several years ago I found a book at the library by Better Homes and Gardens with all the various recipes for great cookies. Eventually I had to have my own copy which I found at a book store and now I have found a second copy. I noticed Marna, one of your links was B, H, & G. Where have you found recipes? I am sure you must have many sources. I would love a recipe for your powdered sugar looking balls from your article. Is that a Russian tea cake? I know it might sound silly but I eat very little of what I make; it is given away or my family loves it.
Joann
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5869026

I have 3 Better Homes and Gaerden's cookie cookbooks - and there are some great recipes in there.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5869034

Joann,

I have to say that most of these recipes have been in the family for a while. Others came from here and there. Spritz just comes from the Wearever electric cookie gun cookbook, peanut brittle from the BHG cookbook, Dateballs from a cookie exchange, etc.

Regarding Pecan Puff Balls yes, they are indeed like Russian Teacakes or Mexican Wedding Cakes. Here is the recipe:

Pecan Puff Balls

1 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans
Confectioners' sugar

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Stir in pecans. Shape rounded teaspoon of dough into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Cool slightly; roll in confectioners' sugar.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5869214

Thanks, Marna, I am looking forward to making these. Joann

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5869237

Joann,

I forgot to say that we generally chop the pecans really fine in a food processor.

There are two other powdered sugar covered cookies there. One is a potato chip cookie and the other is a date ball.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5869292

I would love to try date balls!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5869307

OMG, Claudia, they are sooooo easy and very addictive.

Date Balls

1 c. butter (do not use margarine)
16 oz. Dates (chop in food processor to reduce melting time)
1 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla
4 c. Rice Krispies

Cook butter, dates and sugar over medium heat until melted. Add vanilla. Stir in Rice Krispies. Cool until you can handle, roll into balls. When completely cool, roll balls in powdered sugar. Makes 70-80 balls.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5869333

I think the girls and I will be trying these when they come after christmas! Thanks for the recipes.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5869348

have fun! I try to butter up my hands a bit when rolling these. The dates make them sticky.

BTW, I've posted all my recipes on my blog:
http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/index.php?tabid=10779
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2008
9:11 AM

Post #5869836

My neighbor used to make date balls when I was a kid - I've got to try those! Thanks.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5870248

They are soooooooo good. Oh, I said that already, didn't I! It's odd that they satisfy both my crunchy and chewy requirements!
tropics4me
Metairie, LA

December 8, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5870269

Marna, I am so excited to see all your recipes...especially the Peanut Butter Snowmen. For some reason when I click on your Blog link above, it says Access Denied, don't know why. I'm definitely logged in, any help for this problem?
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!! Sandy

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5870288

Sorry about that. Try this link:

http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/index.php?tabid=10779
tropics4me
Metairie, LA

December 8, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5870299

Still doing the same thing. Is there something I'm doing wrong you think? If nothing else could you Dmail me the recipe.
Thanks and so sorry to be a pain.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5870305

tropics4me, I am having the same difficulty.
tropics4me
Metairie, LA

December 8, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5870309

Oh, at least I know it's not my lack of computer skills. LOL!!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5870373

Well, that is just odd. I logged off and I could get there. Let's try this. Go to my profile page by clicking on my name. Then click on my garden diary, then on cookies.

Otherwise, here is the snowmen recipe:

Peanut Butter Snowmen

Centers:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup graham cracker crumbs

Roll mixture into balls (small ball for head, larger for body). Place a small ball on top of a large ball and chill.

Melt White Almond bark in Microwave, as directed. Dip snowmen centers in almond bark and place on waxed paper. When dry, decorate.

To decorate:
HATS:
In small bowl, melt small amount of red candy coating wafers as directed in Microwave. Dip snowmen heads in red chocolate and pull straight up to make the peak of the Santa hat.

FACE and ARMS:
With chocolate candy coating (preferred because it is thinner thanchocolate chips) and a tooth pick, place dots for eyes and mouth. Paint" on the arms.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5870515

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/Mrs_Ed/10779/

One more try! I think this one will work!
tropics4me
Metairie, LA

December 8, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5870538

Thanks Marna, this one does work. We all appreciate the time you have taken to give us your wonderful recipes. You are a Sweetie!! MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5870541

yay! It worked. Phew!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5870640

You can just click on her name that will take you to her info page and then click on her diary. That's what I did...lots of yummy treats there!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5870755

It works here too, thanks!!!

I just had a thought, since you do so much baking, Marna, you must have found a particular chocolate brand you prefer like Ghiradelli or Guittard or????
Any favorites ? Any other products you particular think makes a difference?
In cake baking do you find any significant improvement with cake flour?

Joann
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

December 8, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5870868

What happy memories this article brings back. Mom, older sister and I would bake for Christmas. We also stuffed dates with nuts and rolled them in sugar - I got this job and I still don't eat dates. My dad and I loved mincemeat and Mom made these cookies with a kind of pastry - two discs with mincemeat piled in the center and pinched around the edges to seal. These were my favorite. And her molasses spice cookies! Yum.

Nowadays I don't bake much but I decided this year to make some goodies for neighbors and DH's office.

Great article, and what a great tradition to continue - giving at Christmas - what a concept! :-)

Kathleen

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5870876

The problem was that I was not logged out of DG when I copied the link to paste. I thought I WAS logged out, but I wasn't. Anyway. now TWO ways to get there!

Joann, I'm certainly no expert, I just like to bake. I use cake flour in some cakes where I want a very fine crumb. But honestly, I don't always make "from scratch" cakes (only for special events).

As far as chocolate, I've been too cheap to experiment on the finer chocolates. I've dreamed of ordering several pounds from King Arthur Flour (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/), but never bring myself to spending $$. I did buy a bunch of decorator items from them. Used to be the only place to find big course sugar. Now they are at local stores even!

When it comes to chips, I love the milk chocolate guittard chocolate chips. I like them for their larger size too. In the fudge, I can use almost any chips, but for dipped pretzels, I go with a name brand instead of store brand.

For candy, I ONLY use land-o-lakes unsalted butter.

And finally, let me give you a book recommendation. I LOVE this book from America's Test Kitchen.
http://www.amazon.com/Baking-Illustrated-Cooks-Magazine-Editors/dp/0936184752/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228755901&sr=8-1
I love they way they introduce the recipes, by saying what works or doesn't and WHY. It's very helpful when thinking about the science of baking.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5870881

Oh, those mincemeat cookies sound great, Kathleen. I love molasses cookies. In fact, there is a recipe on my blog for Ginger Snaps. I have won a blue ribbon at our county fair with this recipe. They are only "snaps" if you cook them longer. We like them chewy and so they are Molasses Ginger Chews then! LOL.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Holiday Traditions: CookieFest! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yum! tonileland 9 Dec 15, 2008 2:56 PM
Author's note Mrs_Ed 4 Dec 29, 2009 1:25 PM
Memories... Sundownr 1 Dec 8, 2008 2:05 PM
Little Snowmen in Picture grahilju 8 Dec 11, 2008 1:15 PM
Brings back memories MichaelZ 3 Dec 22, 2009 11:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America