-
AuthorContent
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 7, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5868490

Anyone else a Paul James addict? This morning's show on evergreens was very fun. What zone is his home in?

crazy4brugs

crazy4brugs
Kansasville, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5868652

Duck, I'm guessing he is in Oklahoma. I remember the show where the wind knocked over a tree next to his drive way. Don't watch him like I used to with a work schedule change. But I did enjoy his show.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5868819

Paul James keeps me in bed every Sunday morning. There is almost nothing better than waking up slowly with the Gardner Guy from bed. I wish that I had taken notes this morning on the conifers. He had mentioned one that only needed about an hour of sun a day and it would be perfect for my shade garden. I'm always grateful that he usually mentions the zone hardiness since so many things won't make it in zone 4.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2008
5:23 AM

Post #5873354

marie-I hven't watched him-will have to start taping him, if I get the channel that is!
Did a search on his program-was the shade conifer a hemlock "Jeddeloh" or "Jervis"?
Those were 2 mentioned on his page. I also remember a shade conifer I killed many years ago will try to remember it micro something. It was slow grower with soft, rather than pokey needles.
Stay warm, will be out on snow covered ice streets for appt tomorrow. Hope doc calls and cancels!!
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 9, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5873804

It was definitely a hemlock because he said hot, humid can kill it. It was adorable planted in a small rough-looking pot. He said he was going to move it depending on where the sun hit so he could keep it cool during the worst of the summer.

Did you see the episode with the lady who had a black and chartreuse garden? The black leaved options were really interesting.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 10, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5878295

Black and Chartreuse garden? Haven't seen that one...sounds very intersting.

I'll have to go and take a look on the HGTV web-site. I'm always on the lookout for shade tolerant plants to go with my hostas.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5892109

The hemlock was most likely Jervis, as it is a tight grower, and perfect for pots or troughs. Jeddeloh is very nice, but is more open and faster growing, more suitable for a rock garden situation.

Marcia, your "micro" would be Microbiota decussata, or Russian Cypress (but not a real cypress). This is one of the few plants where the genus name is often used as the common name. Your description is right on. But I wouldn't call it a slow grower (nor would I call it a fast grower).
ChinookCottage
smalltown, IL

December 22, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5918889

I like his cooking show..But haven't seen it on tv in awahile..
I look him on on Youtube and he recommended this webite..

http://www.mailordergardening.com/

Off to check it out..
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 23, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5920269

ooh ... great site. And here I was enjoying my Jung's catalogue while I should have been figuring out what to make for Christmas dinner and you tempt me further. What fun.
ChinookCottage
smalltown, IL

December 23, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5920277

Sorry---NOT!!!!
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

January 3, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #5958426

LOL just found this posting and thought I was the only one . Hes on sunday mornings for me and I makle sure Im upm, coffee on, and ready when he s on . Always makes things intersting

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #5961764

Artwestallis you and me both. DH thinks he's ridiculous and I do think he can be a bit outrageous but I think he's just making things fun. I love the info that I've obtained from him on many things. IMHO
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 2, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6084174

Loved his bit on wintering bonsai. I'm growing my first.

A new favorite is Yard Crasher, a DIY program. I can't figure out why anyone would turn him away! Great show with lots of fun ideas.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

February 2, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6084728

yes wish I could get my yard crashed and fixed for free lol
then plant away
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

February 3, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6084980

I know! When people say no to him, I'm like "DONT YOU KNOW WHO HE IS!?" I love that guy! I made my husband watch the show with me and told him "if you EVER see this guy - bring him home to me!"

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6085174

I caught it just this past weekend. Told DH he can approach me in a nursery or garden center. He can come to this house. DH said it likely would never happen. No one comes to Waukesha Wisconsin. But boy if he did.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America