Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly storm: Powerful..

Communities > Forums > Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly storm
bookmark
Forum: Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly stormReplies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2008
7:49 AM

Post #5869813

A great article, April, but it truly makes my heart hurt.
Sharon
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 8, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5870007

As one who has witnessed nature's wrath on trees I can sympathize fully; good story.
Pictured is a huge banyan tree uprooted by Hurricane Wilma in 2005. The city chose not to replant the banyans but has planted oaks instead. That road which was like a tunnel of banyans will never look the same as before Wilma.

Thumbnail by Dutchlady1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LLMac
Mountain Grove, MO

December 8, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5870173

A sobering reminder of a devastating storm that came uncomfortably close to us here in south central MO. Let's pray for a milder winter this time around...
Aunt_A

December 9, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #5873316

Thank you all for reading and writing,

Sharon,

Thanks. Yes, it made mine hurt too; all nature groaned that month.

April

Dutchlady1,

Wow...that is quite a picture. It has been a hard few years for trees.

April

LLMac,

I agree with that prayer!!!

April
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 6, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #8956532

Its been several months since the tornadoes destroyed several of my favorite stores in Tuscaloosa. There is still one huge area near the University campus that is flattened and bulldozed. But most of all, the huge trees are gone along 15th St and University Blvd. Even still after several visits there is a spirit of great loss when you visit business and people's homes who were narrowly missed by the April devastation.

Maybe recovery will come when new stores are built, but there is no replacing the stately old oaks that once lined those streets. 100 years of history just blown away.

Thanks to all who came by the hundred's to lend a truly helpful hand -- including President and Mrs. Obama.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly storm Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Ice Storm grits74571 2 Dec 15, 2008 11:45 PM
Very good MitchF 2 Dec 9, 2008 2:48 PM
Trees are a breath of life Acemoose 1 Dec 9, 2008 5:06 AM
Heart breaking and Heart warming duchessdreams 2 Dec 9, 2008 4:22 PM
Moral of story... FrillyLily 1 Dec 10, 2008 5:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America