Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vtbeachldy
Blanchard, OK

December 8, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5869972

The Folger's snap lid coffee containers make great counter top compost collectors. No smell, no bugs. Easy to clean. (Maxwell House containers have a hollow handle that doesn't clean well.) Folger's has DIY stickers to cover their advertising, or a template to create your own. Looks okay on the counter, but small enough to tuck under the sink. http://www.folgers.com/coffees/holiday-canister/

The key to composting is to get the goodies into a worm bin asap. Set a Rubbermaid tub - with a lid - just outside the kitchen door for the daily kitchen donations. Feed the tub-o-worms for about a month with shredded newspaper, kitchen waste, and a little soil. Then rotate a new tub with a few worms and start the next one. It takes a handful of worms about two months to turn those peelings and parings into gorgeous compost for your garden.

HTH,

Dev in OK

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5870445

Wow!! I checked your link. Hats off to Folger's for those stickers just meant for reusing! That's neat.

Thanks, Dev, for reading and adding your worm bin tips.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6204159

Wow, Dev, that is so cool We use those coffee containers a lot and I have shared them with MG buddies. Excellent in the garden for fertilizer, collecting seeds, plant labels, tons of things. I prefer the MHouse cause the handle is easier but I see for composting Folger's is peferable. I am now reconsidering my order of the Stainless steel pail... still have several coffee 'cans' in the garage...

And how great that Folger's offers these labels!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Countertop Compostables Containers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great tips Hemophobic 8 Mar 1, 2009 7:29 PM
Stainless is the way to go egm 0 Dec 7, 2008 3:06 PM
Ice Bucket - Great Idea!! jomoncon 3 Dec 8, 2008 1:58 PM
Go to BJ's. Sams or Costco.... Gitagal 1 Dec 8, 2008 3:21 PM
Yogurt containers and the freezer Johntron 2 Dec 8, 2008 9:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America