Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly storm: Trees are a breath of life

Communities > Forums > Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly storm
bookmark
Forum: Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly stormReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

December 8, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5870374

So sorry to hear about that devastating ice storm!! Trees provide canopy, shade, homes for all kinds of little critters and birds (and for the fireflies in June!!) air cleansing qualities and of course beauty for all to admire, and mulch for the forest floor. Thanks for replanting the trees, after such horrendous storm damage.

My neighborhood needs to follow suit - so many trees were deliberately destroyed when a housing mania hit my area -- whole forests were torn down to make way for tacky townhouses or huge McMansions. Needless to say the air quality went on a downward spiral after that tree-carnage. I have some trees (small but beautiful) growing on my balcony that I planted from seed - and some that I got for free on Neighborhood Day (my area gives away small trees for that occasion). In the spring, the air on my balcony in the morning is wonderful -- but it's such a small taste of what used to be in the way of air cleansing qualities of the many small forests that used to thrive in my neighborhood.
Aunt_A

December 9, 2008
5:06 AM

Post #5873333

Acemoose,

That storm took some of the breath smack out of Oklahoma for people and wild life. I'm delighted to say that Tulsa cares about its trees.

However, all the new construction here makes me sad and a little bit angry. Tacky townhouses or huge McMansions and shopping centers are the worst although huge subdivisions destroyed many trees.

I think we should all plant a few trees; glad that you have!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

April

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: CityGreen: Re-greening a city after a deadly storm Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Powerful.. Sharran 4 Jan 6, 2012 7:17 AM
Ice Storm grits74571 2 Dec 15, 2008 11:45 PM
Very good MitchF 2 Dec 9, 2008 2:48 PM
Heart breaking and Heart warming duchessdreams 2 Dec 9, 2008 4:22 PM
Moral of story... FrillyLily 1 Dec 10, 2008 5:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America