Photo by Melody

Ornamental Gourds: what will seedlings look like? gourds or squash?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beakerlj
Galien, MI

December 9, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5872450

Hi Everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I would try here. I collected seeds from my red pumpkin and about 8 varieties of small ornamental squash/gourds. I was recently told two things that concerned me. First, that washing them increases the chance of killing them, as it washes away some protective covering. Second, that I wouldn't recognize what grew from them, and the chances of me getting more red pumpkins and the different squash were very small, but the chances of me getting an orange/red/green splotchy thing were high. Can someone give me a reality check on this?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5874202

beakerlj, it depends on the provenance of the seeds. If the pumpkins/squash were hybrids, their seeds will most likely revert to a parent plant. If they cross-pollinated, you get a brand new variety! If you have the room to grow them, you might be pleasantly surprised. However, if you want to know what you're growing it would be best to purchase new seeds (which is contrary to the inner farmer, but there you are).
beakerlj
Galien, MI

December 9, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5874532

Yea, I'm still learning which seeds will produce completely new plants, and which will replicate their parents. Sigh. There goes my excuse for buying the expensive red pumpkin. I'll have to think of these like I do my daylily seeds.

Any advice on the whole "wash 'em kills 'em" idea?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #5874654

No experience with it; I don't wash them myself. But I know people do soak them right before they plant them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America