Farm Journal - Dec 7 - Dec 13

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I guess I am a little late starting this thread.

Snowing here tonight. About an inch so far. Looking for 3 to 5, but I think the weather liars are going to be wrong again. They kept telling us they could see snow on radar all day. Well it didn't start here until nearly dark. Radar is to sensitive.

Not much else going on here.
I played around with Power Point tonight & drew up a picture layout of our farm. I have all the fields mapped & numbered to keep track of what is planted where & so forth. Should be easier to keep track of things next summer.

Off to bed, I guess,
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Wow, Bernie. I have Power Point, have never used it. Would love to know how you did that....

Wow is the wind whipping outside. We've been getting high wind advisories all night. sustained winds are supposed to be up to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 +. Probably rain today.

Something went flying and hit the side of the house and I woke with a start! Ralph said that a piece of firewood he stacked up alongside the house fell off and was blown back, can you imagine how strong the winds are if it is throwing firewood?

I saw where it is supposed to be close to the 60s today and tomorrow from Charleston, WV down to Memphis, TN and points in between. Gosh just Sunday morning it was 19 degrees here! Weird weather to say the least.

We never got a chance to plant our garlic, I don't know if it is too late now or not. It was so cold on Saturday that couldn't even get the turnips out of the ground.

We harvested all the watermelon/winter radishes we could get out of the ground. People think they are turnips at first. Some people (CSA members) cooked them like turnips as they forgot to talk to us about what they were....said they didn't like them. Well, of course, they are not to be boiled and mashed, ha, ha....but rather eaten raw or shaved in a salad or sauteed.

Bernie, I see where you are getting a lot of snow and Kathleen too. I hope our trip to New England isn't a remarkable one.

Have a beautiful day and hang onto the railing today...

Blessings,
Kathy

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Schools are all running 2 hours late. Maybe 3" of snow. We haven't had a big snowstorm for a number of years.

The more you use Power Point, the more you can do with it. I do all the cabinet floor plans with it & also use it to figure out the best way to cut up a sheet of plywood. I can make everything to scale with it.
Even the farm layout is to scale.

Well, off to the wood shop & then feed chickens at 7 AM.

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

The day started out pretty warm here.. I work ten hour shifts, so this time of year I go to work at 7 AM and get off at 5:30 PM.. I am usually off on Wednesdays and call that my farm day.. That's when I usually need to haul out hay, etc..

But, I'm not off tomorrow , drove home in blowing snow, and knew I needed to probably feed the cattle tonight in blowing snow..

It usually takes me about 10 minutes to get all that gear on.. First year for CarHart Coveralls.. I have had Car Hart bibs, but had a friend at work give me coveralls he never used.. I have to fold the legs up about two inchs.. But, Man those things are almost impermeable to cold..

So, It was tonight I decided that I must really be crazy.. Here I am , not such a Spring Chicken anymore, out on my tractor in blowing freezing weather, driving my tractor on snow over ice carrying those big bales around.. Enjoying every second of it..

Wow, Kathy that must have been some kind of wind.. ! Never heard of that kind of radish.. interesting.

keep warm everyone!
kj

Waddy, KY

Been raining pretty heavy here since last evening. Although that means tons of mud to deal with, the ponds and lakes here need it badly. Our little creek finally started to run yesterday. First time since August.

We still have cows up on the hill farm. There's still grass there so we've been going back and forth watering until we get enough rain to make the spring fill up both of the concrete water tanks consistently. DH has pulled up some big oak trees that fell and has been cutting them into chunks while waiting for the tanks to fill. Then he loads them, brings them home and he and DD split them up in the barn when they have time. It's been kinda nice because we now have a front porch half full of good wood and usually we have to cut as we go.

Kathy, I don't know that it blew that hard over here. If it did I was sleeping so soundly I flat out didn't hear it.

The KY Horse Park has a huge Christmas Light display every year that they call Southern Lights. Last year they had the gift shop open and showcased KY products that are registered under the KY Proud logo. We'll be selling our baked goods there this Friday and Saturday so I've been baking all this week. I have no idea how much to bake or what kind of crowd to expect. Since it's my last place to sell for the year I don't want to have a ton of stuff left over but I want to not run out too soon either. Decisions aren't easy on how much to make.

KJ, while I do enjoy what I'm doing there are times when I can't feel my toes and my fingers are so cold that they hurt and the wind is cutting me in half that I wonder exactly why I decided I wanted to take all this on. The thought usually goes away though once I get inside and get warmed up.

Kathy, haven't I read somewhere that garlic should be planted in Sept. and Oct.? I've tried it a couple times under not very good conditions and it got about the size of a half dollar or maybe a quarter. But I didn't take very good care of it either. There's a lady at Frankfort that had some almost as big as a tennis ball this summer. It looked wonderful.

Bernie, hope you're not digging out from major snow. I know you're probably used to it but the stuff to me is a pain.

Later everyone!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We had rain yesterday and through the night. Now it's turned over to snow after some ice pellets fell for about half an hour. It actually melted what was on the ground down to about a foot and some of the spots where it was mostly blown off are showing a little green grass. The temps are supposed to be up and down for as far as they dare forecast. Just say a little prayer that the week between Christmas and New Year is good as Melissa and her family are coming up for Christmas the first time since DGS was an infant. He's in pre-school this year.

Stan is over at his brother's doing barn cleaning and spreading. We had planned to go do a little shopping, but he just called and said his brother had someone down to set up the silo unloader, but he didn't think they knew how to do so he's staying to help. I may go take a nap. His brother is improving, but slowly. I think it's going to be another long winter of Stan working two farms.

KJo and Janet, I hear you and if I was still able, I'd be out there doing. I learned this fall how not able I am with just the little jobs I was doing. Oh, well, I'm still in better shape than many, so I keep moving.

I don't know as I told you about Blaze, the Border Collie pup we got last spring. He came with the name, but I call him Possum Boy, and you'll see why when I post a pic. He and Mitzi, our younger female, are going to have puppies the week before Christmas. Blaze is a character. Unlike Tim, who was afraid of cows (now gone to a non farming family and loving every minute of being just a pet), Possum Boy thinks God put cows on earth for him to herd and harry. Now that the cows are in the barn for the winter, he has taken on discipline chores. Stan isn't really sure he wants Blaze to do the discipline, but any time he yells at a cow, Blaze yells at her, too. He also keeps track of the traffic in and out of the driveway and keeps the sparrows moving up and down the cedar break. He is a dog with a good work ethic!

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And what a cutie, too! Ain't it nice to have a dog who shares the same interest as you, Kathleen?

A balmy 68* here today, a bit of rain last night and much more to come in the next couple days. (I have a feeling we'll be having tornado watches tonight and/or tomorrow due to the warm weather and the cold fronts getting ready to clash. Ugh.)

Kathy, I took my time getting garlic planted, too, due to the weather not cooperating. 'Smatter of fact I just set them out yesterday (about 725 cloves) as well as some onion sets (800 or so); got them in just in time for a nice drizzle rain to welcome them home!

Bernie, I keep track of what is planted and where each year, too. I have no idea how to use Power Point but just write it in a Word journal. (And the way I describe different areas will probably only be understood by me, i.e., "set out garlic in upper East area, where this past years peppers/eggplants used to be; amended soil with rock phosphate". In years to come I'm sure I'll have to read the previous entries to see just where the "peppers/eggplants used to be" but so far each time I plant I can remember in my mind what was planted there for several seasons back. Wish me luck as my brain grows older!)

Okay, off to plod along a bit before more rains move in, then I'll finally start cleaning up either the greenhouse or shoffice.

Happy Day to everyone!
Shoe

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lol, yep, he even likes gardening - dug a rose bush out today while we were gone. Stinker.

We have names for fields like, 'back by the woods' 'the well piece' ' the old round pasture that's now meadow' ' the way back' very precise and known by all!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Kathleen
Love your BC. They are the best workers. Mine is 9 1/2 now. Had him to the vet yesterday. He gave me a scare. I found a soft lump on his left side Monday. Took him to have it checked out yesterday and the vet said is was a lipoma. Nothing to worry about. Just a bit of encapsulated fat. I was sure relieved. I wish I had some work for him. When the weather is nice enough he goes to work with DH and watches the metal yard at night. Other than that I have to make up jobs for him. Like "find the ball". There is no ball. Never has been but he leaves no stone unturned. It gives him satisfaction. He is starting to slow down a bit now. I wish dogs lived as long as horses.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Waddy, KY

We have an Aussie/Border Collie mix. Sadie is too smart for her own good. It's funny, she won't chase a calf until it gets up to about 200 lbs. She's been run down by new mammas and steers clear of fresh cows like the plague. She's a big help though and a good companion that has totally wormed her way into the family. My MIL is 87 and still lives on her own at the farm and Sadie has got to staying inside with her when everybody's off the farm. She's made my MIL's life much more enjoyable as she can't get outside anymore like she used to.

Kathleen, we name our fields too. We have the haybarn field, Smith field, the big hayfield, Lewis field, Cogswell field, powerline field plus a few more. It makes things a lot easier when you're trying to tell someone on the farm where to go or where you are.

Janet

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No "back forty's". That was a term we had when I was growing up.

Here the farmers are so big they just use the name of the owner of land they are renting. I know the guys that farm this farm have a name for it but I don't know what it is.

The same thing worked for roads before they were "Officially" named. Where I grew up we had "White line road". It was the first tar road & of course had a white line painted on it. Another was "Poor farm road". There was a county farm along that road in the 30's that poor people could go live on & work the farm as their payment to stay.

13 here this morning. Sunny.

Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Our Sadie is 9 now. She had a stroke a year and a half ago after her last litter of pups and is beyond ditsy. She had some minor neurological damage and has a permanent grin and one ear is always pricked. She had a lot of trouble with the heat, but loves the cold weather, unless she gets herself locked outside. Then, the whole neighborhood knows that she's unhappy. She still tries to help with the herding, but sometimes ends up going in the wrong direction. Her biggest problem is Blaze, who abuses her. We have to be very stern with him, or she would never get anything to eat. He can be a real bully, and she just isn't up to all of his hi jinks anymore.

The weather has calmed down. We had a wonderful swirling frost fog come in earlier - like the movie fog effects only for real - and now everything is frosted.

Stan said I forgot the Waldron lot piece, the back road piece and the piece behind Louie's. Louie has been dead for 20 years and the Waldron's have been gone for 60, but who's counting?

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

I am slightly red-faced to even talk about our snowfall last night. For the first time in who knows how long, Monaville, TX got snow. Not much but it was white and it stuck until this morning. We are so far south and west that snow is only a fantasy. Everyone in the 'hood enjoyed it. Lots of pictures being sent back and forth today. One neighbor saved a snowball. I went to bed while DH let the dogs out to investigate it.

By the end of this week the day time temps will be in the low 70's with sunshine and 40's at night. Quite a bit milder than what I reading above.

We only have five pastures - the east pasture, the horse's pasture, the far west pasture, the pasture by the road, and the cows pasture. No need to keep track of what is in them - its all hay meadows unless it has a cow or a horse on it.

The BC's are a smart breed and pretty as they can be. I have never had one, but was given Boo, an OZ Blue Heeler. Smart as a whip but would rather chase cows or anything else that will run. I would love to have him work my small herd with me on horseback. But as he has also aggravated my young quarter horse bay, that is only a pipedream.

Here is an image of Boo after a particularly taxing day of chase.

Good to hear from everyone.

Melissa

p.s. Boo later ate that chair!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 1:33 PM

Thumbnail by MelissahL
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

OT... Bernie, what is hat channel normally used for?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's fastened to concrete walls, then sheet rock is fastened to the hat channel.
Usually done in commercial buildings.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ahhh... Thanks. I liked your greenhouse benches.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images