Photo by Melody

Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing Milkweed: Magnificent Milkweed....but....

Communities > Forums > Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing Milkweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing MilkweedReplies: 4, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

December 9, 2008
6:56 AM

Post #5873471

Mitch, a wild milkweed I transplanted (carefully) into the "Small Creatures" section of Pinebrook Children's Garden. I knew I needed milkweed if monarchs were to come to breed. The third season it was absolutely stunning...and highly fragrant in bloom, like a rich lilac type of scent.

But I felt great concern...it was growing with underground roots and was capable of invading the entire garden. Other plants include Butterfly Bush (Buddleia), Gaura, Joe Pye Weed, Red Monarda - Bee Balm, Black Eyed Susans, zinnias, hyssop, catmint, plus. I felt concern the wild milkweed would take over the area. I am still addressing that challenge. Honestly, I would not have planted it had I been aware of its invasiveness. (The same is true of the Chinese lanterns... beautiful orange seed pods but SO invasive!)

Whoever uses it needs to be aware of this capability! The Asclepsia/Butterfly Weed (orange and mauvy pink) meets the monarch needs as well and are far less invasive. The wild milkweed is great if one is able to "let it fly" and not rein it in!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5874006

Milkweed can be a problem - but if you can deadhead then you will be free of most of those problems.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5874214

Is the milk weed really that invasive i planted some in my small herb garden this past year.
It was really Beautiful but i don't want it to take over.

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5874649

Matters the type and the soil where you planted it.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5875660

I can remember back to the days where hundreds of milkweed shot up in the oats and wheat fields right before harvest. My dad had a couple of hook tools to cut them off by walking the field.
Since weed sprays you don't see those grain fields heavily infested with milkweeds anymore.
Back in the old days of World War !I we collected sacks of milkweed for kapock which was used in flight jackets for airmen.
This past year we had a couple of milkweeds and Monarchs really do appreciate them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Transplanting gardenpom 7 Dec 10, 2008 12:01 PM
I love Milkweeds. frostweed 8 Dec 15, 2008 2:51 PM
Butterfly magnet Aunt_A 1 Dec 10, 2008 4:45 PM
Love the milkweed, but those aphids. . . Bookerc1 5 May 18, 2009 11:59 PM
Great article qbs 0 Dec 15, 2008 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America