Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing Milkweed: Transplanting

Communities > Forums > Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing Milkweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing MilkweedReplies: 7, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

December 9, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #5873706

I had several plants I grew from seed planted in one area and decided to move them. I dug up each one (not really that carefully) and moved them, and they all survived with no ill effect at all. They don't seem to need any long period for seeding, the fluffy seeds fly all over and come up rather quickly in my garden. I'm a big fan of these beautiful plants also, thanks for the nice article.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5874003

Wonderful! Do you know what type of milkweed you have there - there are so many!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5874563

I have transplanted tropical milkweed in FL with some success when the plants were small. The milkweed we have here in VA is the common type. Since the fields are cut by the farmer right before blooming, our monarch butterflies seem to be few and far between. Next spring I'm going to try some plants in the garden where they can go full cycle.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5874647

Wonderful - the butterflies with thank you.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5875455

They grow wild here at the sunny edge of our woods. I didn't know about pinching the spent blooms to get more--can't wait to try that next year, thanks!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5876062

I grew some scarlet milkweed (tropical, A. curassavica) as an annual last summer and it was covered with monarch cats. They ate everything including the seed pods. When it looked like they were running out of food I tried to move some of them to some A. incarnata 'Ice Ballet' growing nearby but they ignored it. They all disappeared and I didn't see a single chrysallis nearby, but later in the summer there were lots of new monarchs, so they must have been successful. They were hatched on that scarlet though, and wanted nothing else.

as an aside, the scarlet did regrow from the bare stems and would have bloomed again if the summer had been longer.

this was my first year growing milkweed and I hope to add some other varieties.
Thanks, Mitch, for the nice article.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bareroots
Redding, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5876829

Anyone wanting Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella' see the Marketplace under perennials. I have large dormant plants available for a great price.

Great article Mitch!

Dee

Thumbnail by Bareroots

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

December 10, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5877238

These are the two I have growing. I tried growing the Pink from seed, but none survived. I always have Monarch cats on them.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Milkweed Dreams - Growing Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Magnificent Milkweed....but.... EleanorZRuch 4 Dec 9, 2008 10:03 PM
I love Milkweeds. frostweed 8 Dec 15, 2008 2:51 PM
Butterfly magnet Aunt_A 1 Dec 10, 2008 4:45 PM
Love the milkweed, but those aphids. . . Bookerc1 5 May 18, 2009 11:59 PM
Great article qbs 0 Dec 15, 2008 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America