Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soap and Candle-making: Anyone ever work with a Tallow Tree/Wax Myrtle?

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 5, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
msdoolittle
Jacksonville, TX

December 10, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5876804

I've never made candles before, but I was reading about boiling down the seeds/berries of these plants, extracting the wax, and making candles. Sounds intriguing, if not extremely labor intensive...but still interesting to me. Anyone ever attempted this? I am speaking specifically of the Chinese Tallow Tree and the Southern Wax Myrtle Myrica cerifera. I have both.

Thanks!

Amanda
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #5884065

I heard it takes a lot of wax myrtle to make candles. I also heard it might be worth it for the smell. Are you planning to mix it or do you want pure wax myrtle candles?
msdoolittle
Jacksonville, TX

December 14, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5889056

You know, I have never made a candle in my life, lol. But I thought, maybe I'll gather a BUNCH of berries, boil them, collect the wax and store it, and repeat until I have enough to justify making candles. I know nothing of candle making, but mixing it may not be a bad idea, either.

:0)

amanda
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5897655

I don't know much myself. What I do know about Wax Myrtle candles is actually from fiction.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6009682

When I lived in Orlando, I always thought about trying to make bayberry candles, but thought it would take the berries from every tree in the neighborhood. I like your idea of gathering bunches and making wax in small batches. I never thought of that. The only candles I made were hand-dipped ones and others in an old tin mold, but I got a couple of big blocks of bee's wax and melted it down. They turned out beautifully. Recently I looked for bee's wax to try it again, but the price of the material and shipping of it was just too much. Have you investigated how to make the candles from berries?
JanesZooandGarden
Schulenburg, TX

March 24, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7652472

OK I'm gonna try this. I have 2 huge wax myrtles and I saw this done on Central Texas Gardening. My husband is hysterical! I am going to pick the berries and boil them and see how many years it takes me to make one candle. I'm always up for the adventure. Stay tuned.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America