Photo by Melody

Article: Plants need calcium, too, just like teeth and bones!: Very Interesting

Communities > Forums > Article: Plants need calcium, too, just like teeth and bones!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plants need calcium, too, just like teeth and bones!Replies: 2, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5877393

Hi Darius,

Thanks for a very interesting article. You mentioned soil testing...I really have to start testing our soil. I have never done that yet. I found a very old soil test kit here, that my Dad must have used, way back when he was alive and gardening. I'll get a new one of course. I'll put it on my garden "to do" list in the new year :)

~Diana

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5877476

Diana, I have a home soil test kit around here somewhere too. I don't use it anymore, basically because it only gave me reliable pH although it was supposed to do more. My county ag agency gave me soil sample boxes, and a mailer. The basic test was $7 per sample (I had 2 areas, one for veggies and one for flowers). Some states' extension services offer free soil testing.

There are some very sophisticated tests/labs around... we had some discussion on one lab, CSI, in a thread somewhere, probably the soil/compost forum. I plan to have some testing done by them when I have replenished the piggy bank again.
http://www.cropservicesintl.com/ld_SoilTests.php

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5877629

My Dad's soil test kit is an old, silver, metal tool box carry case from Sudbury Laboratory in MA. I looked up their company and it looks like they were in business from 1932-1982. Those old soil test kits may be a thing of the past. I forgot about checking into our local extension office.

Your above link sounds so familiar to me. I think we must have had a speaker at our local organic gardening club that gave us their information. I'll have to go back through my notes and see what I have. They sound like a good option as well.

~Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plants need calcium, too, just like teeth and bones! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Rock dust... Sundownr 16 Dec 21, 2008 7:28 AM
good phicks 4 Dec 15, 2008 2:35 PM
Ph changing of calcium? Robubba 3 Mar 6, 2009 4:04 PM
"Fast" Colloidal Soft Rock Phosphorus nevadagardener 1 Jul 27, 2009 1:52 PM
What do you think about Alabaster dust? sky_queen 1 Dec 24, 2009 2:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America