Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #136 - Holiday Baking Season Begins!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 191, Views: 1,614
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #5878072

We are continued from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/929405/

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5878077

That photo was taken Christmas Eve, 2004. It is the front of my house right after the big ice storm. It was right before we lost power for over 2 weeks.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5878090

Jill just made a great post at the end of our last thread
Post #5877997
Which she gave the link to her chocolate chip cookie thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/561548/

I wanted to bring it up here, because I wanted to type a couple recipes also!

Mom just got home from the grocery let me help her and I will be back in a minute.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5878094

oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire inside is sooooo delightful , let it snow let it snow , let it snooooooowwwww.
muddy here in our woods. Been inside for two days myself. LOL
just don't want to get dressed. ack.
but i got to pick up the kids today T says i have to :) so he can work on our stinky water .
take care
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5878099

that is awsome thanks

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5878130

Neal...I got the envelope yesterday with the herbs. Thanks so much for doing this. Will get you reimbursed pronto!!! Thanks again.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5878181

Neal - Mom brought my envelope in with her... check will go out tomorrow!

Now I won't have time to type the recipes :-( But will do tonight when I get home. Have awesome candy corn recipe that doesn't get real hard - also an easy chocolate candy for Toni.

Have to grab quick bite, and get ready for work.

Jules
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5878265

Think I have time to do the candy one. I have had this for so many years I won't admit to it. I think you could melt the chocolate in the microwave instead of on the stove.

Chocolate Nut Puffs

1-1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter
36 large marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped nuts - we like pecans or sliced almonds

Place marshmallows neatly in rows in an 8" pan. Set aside. In heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter. Heat slowly till melted. Pour chocolate mixture over marshmallows in pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Let set till cooled, then chill. Cut into squares of one marshmallow a piece.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5878272

I received my fragrant package today, too. *sniff* garrrrrlic, yum. :) Do you have a PayPal address? Dmail it to me if you would.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2008
8:29 PM

Post #5878615

Oh, thank you for the new thread...I was having a lot of trouble getting the other thread to come up.

YEAH, Marcy, with the stairs!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5879049

Jules, how well I remember that ice storm!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5879229

Thanks MsRobin! The only thing I haven't tried yet is getting down on my knees...and I think it's a bit early for that!

Edited to say...do you realize how many things require you to get on your knees?????
Also wanted to say...Jules...I am gonna try that recipe. It sure looks good!!

This message was edited Dec 10, 2008 6:31 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5879322

still no tv !!!!
man this sucks
i m soooo bored.
my dishwasher is making a noise too and go figure T just can't hear it . grrrrr
Hey Marcy good going on the stairs ! sorry i forgot to mention it.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5879444

Just a flyby to mark the new thread and to say thanks Jules for the candy recipe and Jill for the cookie one! I'll use them both.

Got Chinese food so I am gonna go gobble.

BBL
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5879462

Hey guys and Gals!
I want to say first I believe in the power of prayer. I need some now. I went to Dr. today and got a bad EKG and spent the rest of day in hospital having test done. My regular Dr. also made me a appointment with a local cardiologist ASAP. She said it may be nothing, but the area on the EKG thats not quite right is the same area as my heart was damaged before during the heart attack, so It may be nothing. They did some drug shuffling, so maybe that will help. She even said we may need a stress test. I hate those!! I am not asking for you all to feel sorry for me, just needing some prayer and good energy coming my way. The next 2 weeks are going to be filled with test and Dr. appointments.
George
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5879525

George your prayer circle extends to Cleveland! and Me and Oprah are sending you good vibrations, Buddy!

Be well!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5879625

George, sorry to hear that, and hope you are right that they are only seeing old damage. Ask your doc about doing a nuclear stress test... no walking, it's chemical-induced stress instead, and wears off quickly. Mine was a lot easier on my body than the treadmill...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5879684

Prayers coming your way, George.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5879727

George... Robyn and I are here for you too!

(((HUGS)))
Ric
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5879763

Hey George...like Darius said..hoping it's old damage they are seeing...but my prayers and thoughts are and will be with you!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5880037

Much Love and Smoke coming your way Geo... I love you ...be sure someone has a way to reach all of us and keep us posted...
Chem Stress are better...but RELAX... I know that alone will stress you but you need to let go...and be quiet...Let me know if you need me...

Neal...Thank you for my goodies...I still have to get next door to get it, if Cookie hasn't absconded with it...I will have her send the payment for all of it, and I will pay her...She is much speedier and more efficient than I am...LOL and thank you for the reminder on changing the addy...Temps are dropping rapidly here from 54 to 30... It was snowning hard and stickin in MOraine when I left the yard at 7:00, but nothing here in Franklin... or south of 675...It was also snowing in Springfield when I left there at 5:15...and down past Enon...It is going to be UGLY in the morning with alot of Black Ice, so be realllly careful out there...

Marcy.. This is what a Felting Needle will do also...One of the OLDER ones.. Each hair is inserted with a Felting needle.. Usually Mohair is used...These are what is called Reborn Dolls unless they are Sculpts as mine were mostly...

Nite all .. Love and hugs... I am dead...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5880054

Oh, George, I got your back, wish I had known this before I went to Bible Study, I would have included you on that prayer list. I will certainly put you on the prayer chain my church maintains. Sure hope it is prior damage. Are you feeling good?, Any symptoms of something being wrong?

Darius, didn't say it last night, but glad that you seem to have been given a fairly good report, or did I read that right? A good night's sleep sure cures a lot.

Recipes sound good, but I don't do much candy making or cookie making, as I don't eat sweets, and DH isn't supposed to have them.

Sue, sorry that you still don't have tv. What is the problem anyway?

Today was grocery/errand day, and I finished in almost record time. Did go by the hospital to check on DMIL, and was fortunate enough to be there when the Dr came in. They are trying a new medicine, and if he sees no improvements with that in 24 hours she will be released to go to the nursing home on Friday. He confessed that he doesn't know what else to do for her. They will just be trying to keep her comfortable, and hoping that the breathing problems does not send her back to the hospital/
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5880963

George, no one feels sorry FOR you, we worry WITH you. We hope the best FOR you. We laugh WITH you and feel sad when you do. Chin up. Chest out. It's probably old damage and nothing new. My dad could always feel when something had changed and I think most often he knew more than the doctors and had much stronger faith than they ever did. We'll be waiting for a good report!

Bonnie, I hope your DMIL sees a quick recovery. In the least, I hope they can keep her comfortable and stabilize her meds. It's sad and frustrating to watch those around us suffer or struggle while we feel helpless.

I have to shower in about an hour and go to my 26 week appointment at the OB. Next time I go back, I have to get my rhogam shot, my Strep B test and do the nasty glucose test. I've never had problems before and hope this one is just as boring. Hopefully my blood pressure is still on the lower range so they don't go nuts on me. ;) On the 18th, I enter the third trimester! This seems to be going so slow and so fast at the same time.

The girls get out of school two hours early today. Next week will be wild children with Christmas parties and a one our early dismissal on Friday. Then they'll be home until January 5th. Another mom and I joke that they seem to be home more than they go to school! LOL My oldest two are mad at me. They will be spending break without their cell phones. I had to cut them off the plan to save money, now that their contracts are up. I felt bad doing it since they don't have much else but money is money.

Monday I had to take all my papers to the state office again to keep benefits. I can't believe it's been six months already! Friday, I have to do the WIC stuff again. All these little appointments are stressful and it feels like they go out of their way to make you feel like a jerk.

Here is my latest project. I learned how to make these a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5880968

Here is another. Believe it or not, there is 12 feet of ribbon on there!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5880974

I guess I should have said that these are headbands. LOL I rolled up some white fleece to display them and get pics.

This was the first one I did. Now that I have them figured out, I can play with the pattern. You can do anywhere from one single color up to four different colors or any combination in between.

Thumbnail by Badseed

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5881092

Hi guys,

Please forgive me for intruding in your forum, but someone just told me my garden buddy George was having some health concerns. And I thought I'd come over to tell him he was in my prayers, too.

I had just emailed George yesterday about mulching some of the irises he got from me, and he said nothing about any health problems in his return email, just said he was going to mulch the irises.

George, you are in my thoughts and prayers, and I bet it's just some old damage, too. But don't you go out and mulch those irises until you find out what's going on. Your health is paramount. The irises will be fine, and can be easily replaced, where you can't, so take it easy. Bless you.

My husband had a heart attack years ago, and his old damage always shows up on the EKG, too. But stress tests show no further problems, and he has no angina, so everything is good. Hopefully it will be that way for you too.

I will continue to lurk to see how George is doing. The whole thread is pretty interesting, and I can't wait to see how some of the other things mentioned here turn out too, LOL. You sound like a bunch of great folks on this forum.

Polly
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5881129

Polly, come on in, and join us, you don't necessarily have to live in our area to be a part of this group.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5881133

Hello Polly! Welcome to the ORVG. Stop by any time.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5881150

Thanks for the invitation. I may do that. I don't lead a very interesting life, so I would probably bore you all. And I'm definitely a 'not fair weather' friend, as I'm only on the computer in the bad weather. But I truly appreciate the invitation. It's always nice to have friends to talk to on here.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5881170

(((((((((((( George ))))))))))))) and big hug from my Mom too ! She thought you were "delightful."

I have errands to run, so will dash these off quick -

I was babysitting when I was a teenager, and the woman had a package of this caramel corn made for me to take home with me. It was so good, I called her the next day for the recipe. I make it to include in gifts I give to some of our neighbors. It does not get really hard, which is why I like it so much better than other recipes. I have added nuts before, but it doesn't need it.

15 cups popped popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven. Make popcorn. (I use an air popper) Put in 2 - 13 x 9 greased pans, (I use one large turkey size aluminum foil roaster. When I use the roaster, I don't grease it and have not had problems). Mix sugars, butter, salt and Karo in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Heat until bubbly around edge, then cook for 5 minutes. Take off heat, add soda. Stir till foamy. Divide syrup between pans of corn and stir till corn is evenly coated. Bake one hour, stirring well every 15 minutes. Cool, and store in airtight container.

This is one of the easiest of recipes. It's not really a holiday recipe - but I usually make it to take in to work and share with the "guys" - they love it.

Peanut Butter Pie
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
8-10 oz. Cool Whip
2 prepared graham cracker or chocolate cookie crumb pie crusts (store-bought kind)

Cream softened cream cheese in mixer or food processor, then add peanut butter. Cream well. Add powdered sugar, cream well. Fold in Cool Whip by hand until well blended and fluffy. Spoon into pie shells and smooth out. You can decorate top with small chocolate chips, or shaved chocolate if you wish. Refrigerate until firm before serving. Keep refrigerated.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5881248

Oh George...darlin...praying hard for you...and do as Polly says...until you know something please, please don't overdo it as you have a hard time keeping yourself quiet! Now listen to Cookie!

Jules, thank you so much for those recipes, I'll be trying both. Long long time ago there was a restaurant that served peanut butter pie that sounds like this. Seems like every PB pie recipe I come across wants you to make those little crumb things with PB and sugar and that one just comes across as way too sweet for me. This one sounds so much better!

Bertie and I are going to Marvin's Organic Garden's Holiday Party tonight. Food, drinks and garden stuff...what more could you ask for on a cold winter night! I asked Dusty to go but she's been working her arse off and I haven't seen her!

Neal, I'll get your money in the mail tomorrow now that I know Dusty wants me to send for both of us.

Polly, do stay and play with us!! We're a pretty fun group.

Chele, I just can't believe you're almost in your 3rd trimester! I don't think it's going slow at all, but then...he he...I'm not carrying the little guy around!!

Marcy...glad the knee seems to be healing great. You go girl!

Toni, so glad you're back, we missed you while you were gone.

Isn't Dusty's baby adorable? I just want to hug her!

Bonnie...doesn't DGD ever want to do baking and candy making for the holiday? I have candy to make, but not looking forward to it with this stupid arthritis!

Darius, how goes the coloring? Are you a delightful purple now? ;o) I can't believe you got gas for 1.24...wow...I filled up at $1.49 and thought that was great till you posted!

Ric and Robyn your remodel looks awesome! Now I'm wondering how Robyn is going to have time to do all her wonderful baking for the holiday with all that other work!

Speaking of Robyn well that reminds me of Robin...WHERE ARE YOU??? No excuses now...you aren't gardening much, I'm pretty sure... check in please.

Melissa, don't just drop and run...stay and chat awhile.

If I've missed saying hello it isn't cause I meant to, I caught that CRS thing from Bonnie.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5881431

Hey everyone!
Polly...so nice to meet you!! Join in anytime!
Chele...love the hairbands! I have been trying to get Ashley to wear a head band...but she won't! She is letting her bangs grow out...and it drives grandma crazy to see them in her face! (She doesn't seem to mind!)
So tell me Chele...exactly when is the baby due? I must have missed it?
Jules...that recipe for carmel corn is just like the one Lou posted to do in the microwave! I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Seems like it would be so much less work in the microwave to me!!
Dusty...that baby is adorable! I guess I am the only one who never heard of needle felting! Wow...makes me feel dumb! I sewed for years...made most everything you can think of...and never heard of that! Duhhhhh!!! Guess you can tell I haven't done any for a while!
Well...have to go the the library today. Finished up my last book last night...and I can't stand to be without something to read!! Then I don't know what I'll be getting in to????
Hope you all have a good day! (Geo...thinking about you!!)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5881473

(((George))), keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Try to keep your mind on other things, no help worrying when its not confirmed that there is something to worry about. Easier said than done, but try to envision those valves flowing freely and spring frolics through the garden.

Jules, loving the recipes! The chocolate puffs are a lot like a recipe I saw for Rocky road squares, just using miniature marshmallows instead of big ones. Ooohh, I think I even saw a recipe calling for doing something similar on top of a chocolate sheet cake. Chocolate goodies can never be too rich for me, LOL.

Hi Polly! Good to have ya join us! Enough of your "children" are living in the ORV for you to be an honorary ORVGer, LOL.

Chele, those head bands are adorable! Good job, they look so neat and perfect!

Joyce, that will be fine, whenever its convenient :-) Oh, and by the way, allrecipes.com is featuring Cookie recipes from around the world right now. The party sounds like great fun!

Kimberly, paypal is fine. My id is my email- gemini_sage@yahoo.com

Sue, did you receive your Curry powders? The scent will hit you in the face when you open your mailbox, then you'll bring the mail in drooling, LOL.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5881487

Oh, and Marcy I also meant to say Congrats on tackling stairs! Way to go!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5881506

Thanks Neal!! Good to see you on here!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5881742

Hi, Everyone! Can't complain too much about the weather here...besides it wouldn't do any good if I did. LOL! Had a couple of days of 50's and sunny before the rain (several inches) came in. Past couple of days around 40 and cloudy, but dry.

We had a problem with the computer for a few days, but thanks to DH's persistance, he worked it out.

Lots of great news here and it's always a joy to hear of the accomplishments, successes and recoveries! ((((((Everyone)))))

George, I know this is worrisome for you, but you are in good hands under doctor's care. You have come a long way since the heart attack and whatever this might be, you'll get through it. Keeping a positive attitude goes a long way in overcoming any issues. (((The thoughts and prayers are coming far and wide from all of your friends to give you a big hug!)))

Love the recipes!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5881771

Hello all!
Thank you all for all the T&P. Yesterday I was in shut down mode. It was a lot to take in. Of course I thought the worst. The thought of going through surgery again was more than my little brain could think of. It was a horrible recovery period. I was so freaked I couldn't even remember who did my surgery or my old cardiologist name was at the doctor's office. I finally took one of my "special" sleepy pills and went to sleep early. Well actually fell asleep on couch with a glass of ice water in my hand and it spilled in my lap! Talk about a wake up! LOL. Then went to bed proper in the bed and rested well.

This morning has been a different story. I have been on the phone with my old heart Doctor's and have all my medical records on the way here. He discharged me 2 years ago because I was doing so well. So after researching the internet and talking to my other Doctors. I think I have found the issue. I was put on a drug about 3 months ago. It could have some heart issues and weight and glucose problems associated with it. Well I have gained an average of 3 lbs a week since being on the drug. My glucose level is up and now heart stuff. So I am meeting with the other Doctor tomorrow at 9:45 am.

I also researched the term the Doctor was talking about yesterday(my brain went to mush when told there may be a problem yesterday) and The posterior branch of the bundle of His is exactly where I had my heart attack. I don't feel completely out of the woods, but think we are on the way. I have no angina and have never had to take a nitro since surgery. I think It's the weight and new pill thats causing the spike in BP. We can fix that! The worst it looks that may happen at this point is "maybe" a pace maker, but I don't think so.

Today I feel so much better. Listening to my new little finches singing and listening to music at the moment. Going to chill today and clean a little. Thank you all again for all the support!
HUGS!! all around!
George
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5882003

George...I say good for you...taking charge!! I think ALL patients should be aware of their problems and research them if they can. I am not one to believe that doctors are gods. They are human beings just like the rest of us. And who knows what day they were absent from class???????? I actually had a nurse tell me that once! I told her something she did NOT know...and she said..oh..I must have been absent from class that day!!! Yeahhhhh...her and how many others???????? Before you all get offended, I am NOT knocking doctors and nurses...just saying ...they are human beings like the rest of us...and they have faults and weaknesses like we ALL do!!
Ok...enough out of me!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5882411

((((George))))

((((Everyone Else))))
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5882600

Hey George, it certainly sounds better today, thanks to the research that you did. I am sure that once the meds are reviewed, and adjusted, it will all be settled, but I know how news like that can rattle your brain.

To whomever asked, DGD does like to help me cook, but since she is going through the "chubby" stage, I have never encouraged her to eat candy and cookies, at any time of the year. I am not against her eating a bit at the holidays, but making it and having it here would be too much of a temptation. I don't eat sweets, or very little, and DH is not supposed to have them. So I will just live vicariously through cookies eating adventures!!

Today I managed to get all the gifts wrapped and under the tree. I need to dash out and get some tissue paper, for those things I will be putting in gift bags. Will do that first thing in the morning.

Darius, did you get an answer from Dave on the question of selling spices and herbs in the marketplace? I think that would be neat.

Well must head to the kitchen to start something for supper.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #5882823

Bonnie... no answer from Dave or Admin. on the spices, although I'm sure it will be 'no'. If I had the funds, I'd look into a web-based business for private label herbs and spices.

Whomever asked... my bruises are healing and coloring nicely. Actually I'm beginning to look like my face is dirty and needs a good scrub!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5883204

(((((GEO))))) best to you my love . T&P heading your way. My friend.
darius glad the color is going away and your healing nicely.
sorry i didn't get to read everyones post i just skimmed .
I will catch up later tonight. :)
Neal no i didn't get any box yet of curry ? are you sure its me ? hmmm i hope so LOLLLL i probly just forgot . But if it comes in the next few days i will let you know. Did i give you our new addy ?
got some pants at Lane Bryant . got some more gifts . Returned my oldest DD gift . She is in a big trouble in her life , but i won't go there . its just to hard to except for me right now. nuff said. :)
looks like everyone is busy
big ~~~~~~~~~
best to you all
stay warm and dry
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5883449

Hey guys! How was everybody's Thursday? Hope it was good and productive and all that good stuff.

Today was a "Martha Stewart" day around here. I actually did laundry, cleaned house and :::::drumroll please:::::::
BAKED COOKIES! All on the same day. Thanks Jill, your cookie recipe was perfect and the cookies came out really, really good too!

I was talking to my neighbor and she invited me over for her Christmas Eve brunch. That should be fun. She likes to bake so I need to run over to Williams-Sonoma and get her a gift certificate cause she wants one of those French Tartlette pans and I don't know which ones are good or not. Other than my cookie sheets I use silicone bake-ware and I am not a tart making kinda girl.

Nothing much else is happening around here. Gonna get my stuff together to put up my tree tomorrow I think. Been debating if I should since it just me and O this year. I think I may be getting a little Christmas spirit though so I might just put it up:)

(((((((You all be blessed! ))))))))

Thinking of you particularly tonight ((((((George)))))) and I missed you too ((((((((((Joyce))))))!

T-Bird

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5883580

I have most of the gifts in gift bags, and 2 huge packages for DGD wrapped. Mr. B hid one of his treats in one of the gift bags under the tree, so we will have to watch him that he doesn't destroy the bag when he is trying to find it again!! Addressed some more cards, and DGD called to say that she left her phone charger her last weekend, and would I find it and mail it to her? Hardships!!

Darius, websites are fairly cheap now, or so I have been told, maybe Kimberly can give you some advice on it, as I am not a geek (and that is a good term) but maybe she could help you with that.

Toni, do we start addressing you as Ms Black Martha? Hehe, better than Aunt Jemimah. Way to go on getting all of that done. The closer it gets to Christmas the more I enjoy it. Some years I do better than others, and I am hoping that this year it will be good.

DH's mother is being dismissed from the hospital tomorrow, to go to a nursing home. She is good with it, and I am hoping that she will stay well through the holidays.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #5883621

Hi Neal!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I would certainly like to be an honorary ORVGer with a group as nice as you folks are!

I lived in Tennessee for awhile when i was first married, and in my humble opinion, Kentucky is the loveliest state in the nation, along with West Virginia. So maybe I can fit in, at least in spirit.

To introduce myself, I am 58 years old, happily married for 40 years, one daughter, two grandchildren. I retired from NYSPD two years ago after 36 years of service. I am currently employed two days per week at my daughters dental practice, and I have a business selling beardless irses. I would love to retire to the Kentucky or West Virginia area, but my husband cannot be torn away from the grandkids, age 6 and 9. My husband, Russ, is retired also, and spends a lot of time with the grandkids.

So I may post on occassion, but not often, as my life is really boring. But I truly appreciate the invitation to join you lovely folks. And I will read and enjoy your posts.

Happy holidays to you all, and thank you :) The nice welcome made my heart happy.

Polly
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #5883662

Polly, it is good to have a happy heart, and if we make you happy, just reading about our lives, then so be it. Your life can't be any more boring, especially in the winter time than most of ours. We spend it tapping our feet, just waiting for spring time so we can go out and try to have a better garden than last year. And some of us, do the winter sowing, to get a head start on having plants ready to go in the ground sooner.

I know I can look it up, but tell me about the beardless iris. I grow the tall bearded iris, so maybe I need an experiment, wink, wink, something new I have never grown before.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5883677

Hi Defoecat,

Beardless irises are siberian, Japanese, and lots of species. (Japanese is always capitalized in deference to the Japanese people). I love the bearded too, but the beardless have always been my favorites, especially the siberians.

And yes, my life can be more boring than any other, LOL. I do like it that way, though. It's especially boring in the winter when we get around 190 inches of snow average, and over 300 inches in the bad years.

One of my favorite beardless irises, Coronation Anthem:

Thumbnail by pollyk

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5883679

Don't the siberian require wet or moist soil? They wouldn't be very happy here, we have been in a drought situation for 2 years or more.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5883706

polly

I love the color of picture you posted
I too am a lurker, and new here, I love ready the posts, but am kinda scared to post anything since I am new.
Just to tell a litlle about me,. I am a mom of 7 (4 girls, 3 boys) ages 23 to 4 and I have a 2 year old grand daughter. we live in Xenia, but know where alot of places are around Ohio. I grew up in Preble county. and my husband and I are really enjoy gardening
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
5:17 AM

Post #5883715

stplong, welcome to you too!! Gosh, I hope that it is the Christmas season, bringing you all to our table. Wow, that is a wide range of Children, bet you and Chele (badseed) could exchange some kid stories.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
5:34 AM

Post #5883744

thank you defoecat I have been reading for about a month or two, just to chicken to post anything, I was just bored tonight, I have alot of work to do but putting it off, I have a website and 2 ebay accounts that I make things for, I have to get myself motivated tonight to finish up 2 orders before we leave for Jacksonville Fl for Christmas. Yes I have a lot of kids, but they are spread out the girls are 23, 14, 11, and 4 the boys are 21, 18, and 9. and I am done. they can be a handful, I had 6 with the ex and remarried and he didn't have any so along came Lexie. she is the light of her daddy's eye, she has him wrapped around his finger.

Here she is, she is a little ham

Thumbnail by stplong

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #5883754

What a cutie!! Glad that boredom let you here!!
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #5883774

thanks she is a cutie, and a handful, but I love her, thanks again, my Dh works 3rd shift so all I have to talk to at nights is the kids, but that is ok, it is nice to have adult converstions every now and then,
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5883776

Got you on that, my DH always worked 2nd or 3rd, and it does get lonely without adult conversation.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
5:53 AM

Post #5883780

it was nice talking to you, Lexie just work up so I am off to get her back to bed, maybe I will talk to you later.

Good nite
BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 12, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5884066

Stplong and pollyk, I am BertieL and welcome to our chat forum. I am new also and do more lurking than anything else. I enjoy just reading about everyone. Cookie and DustyD are my neighbors.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5884206

Sue, have you updated your info in the address exchange? That's the addy I used, but if thats the old one and you're mail is being forwarded, it will just take an extra couple of days. It went out Monday with the rest, so keeping fingers crossed it arrives today.

stplong, good to meet you! Don't be shy, we won't bite :-) Lexie is a doll!

Polly, I've come to appreciate the boring times of life. The older I get the easier it is to entertain myself, LOL.

Well, I found out yesterday I've got another funeral home visit to make tomorrow. A friend in Morehead died at 53 the evening before last. Still don't have many details, other than some form of cancer was discovered and death followed quickly. He's survived by a college age daughter and his wife, who is an Art professor and an especially dear friend of mine. Geez, when it rains, it pours!
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5884227

BERTIE!! Hey nice to see you here! I still am trying ot figure out how to get your fish pond/waterfall to my place :) I was the tall blond with the 12 year old hillbilly daughter :) Welcome!

And welcome to stplong and Polly, I know Xenia a little since I used to work at Greene Memorial :) 7 kids! she has you beat Chele.. you only have 6 and a half :)

George best wished for your testing. It's true that old damage can show up. You didn't tell us if it was changed from your last tests but I still hope that it's nothing new.

I had a virus so I wasn't on much.. still not totally sure it's gone but so far I haven't seen any signs.. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Waving at everyone..Bonnie I know I owe you pics but I am waiting to make sure the computer's clean first
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5884280

Welcome to the new folks! I don't get the opportunity to post much, so you will only see me here every now and then, but I try to read often. Everyone here is so friendly! I had to get the nerve up to go to my first roundup, but so glad I did, as everyone was SO nice!

Marcy - that is SO funny that my caramel corn recipe was the same one, just stove top! Mine was from "before microwave" days. Well, I can second that it is a good recipe! LOLOLOL

Neal - It didn't sink in to me that you are in Winchester until I got that envelope from you. I stay in Winchester when I visit my friend John Rice each spring for the daylily bloom in his greenhouse. You should go see his place - it is amazing.

Well, have to get a move on. Been a week now since I started to put up the tree, and it's still standing there naked. I promised Mom I would try to get something on it today! Something came up every day this week, and I just could not get to it!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5884302

Don't feel bad Juli...I put mine up last Sunday, and other than lights, it is still naked too... LOL I planned to do it on Monday, but just ran out of steam...

I have an 11am pickup in Winchester, IN, so I got to sleep in, but I have a 5pm discharge from the VA going down by Cincy tonight..

Welcome to Stplong and Polly...Polly if your heart is in KY, then you are an official ORVG'r...LOL

Wheelie is warmed up and the windshield is defrosted, so time to hit the road...Its only 24.5 here..Yech!!

Have a great day y'all...
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5884310

Good morning all
Thanks all she is a ham and a half she has topose for all pictures, my 14 yr old daughter Morgan takes pictures of her and she has to pose like she is a model.

Jazzpunkin I know Sprinfield also, I used to live there in the late 80's and I have alot of family that lives there, so we used to go there alot when I was younger, it was a big city compared to where I grew up ( West Manchester) only one road in and out of town, and everyone knows everyone, if you know what I mean.

Yes I have 7, and that is enough. I am just glad they are all in different age groups,
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5884406

::::::::::::::Waving frantically at all the new people!::::::::::::

Hey everybody!!! I am Toni. Welcome to our little "cyberhood". So glad to have you!

I was awakened by the Fed Ex guy this morning. The Lt. (my son for all the new people) strikes again. He brought this great big ole box that has written all over it "Fragile" and "Momma don't open til Christmas just put under the tree" in big bold letters. I wonder what it is? hmmmm...

Anywho... the final tee hee hee is on him. Yesterday I paid for 3 nights at the MGM grand for him and Candi over Valentine's. They can drive there from Monterey and be all vacationed up before they have to leave in March. All they have to do is get a babysitter. Merry Ho Ho to them. That was easy enough.

I decided I will put the tree up. That's my today's project. So I am gonna go get all my stuff out of the basement and get busy after I finish this cuppa joe.

Everybody have a blessed Friday. Again ((((welcome)))) new people. STP can I have your little girl? She is absolutely precious!

Talk soon..Toni

PS..LOL We won't even go there with the Aunt Jemimah comment LOL.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5884410

Good Morning all!

Hello Polly!

Welcome stplong! So, I felt my ears burning and now I see why. LOL Guilty as charged, 6.5 kids here. Six girls, ages 15-4 (the youngest two will be 7 and 5 soon) and a baby boy expected in March. Too bizarre that your 14 year old is named Morgan! My 15 year old is named Morganne! She dropped the NE though just to be a brat.

West Manchester, huh? That makes me chuckle too. I first talked to Marcy in January of 2005 when there was a school in West Manchester for sale on Ebay. She went over and checked it out for me! Oddly I looked it up again yesterday. Best I remember, it sold for about $200k in that auction. I found it listed in two other places yesterday at $1 million and $2 million and 2! Geesh! Wish I would have bought that. LOL Not bad for a three year turn around. I showed my kids the pics yesterday, told them about the gymnasium, score boards and working PA system and they are mad we didn't try to buy it.

Not much on the agenda today. Maddie has an appointment at noon and I need to make some more Christmas gifts later today. Two of the girls have basketball practice after school. I guess I'll pop a roast and veggies in the crock pot so everyone can eat when they can/want to.

Marcy, my official due date is March 19th. I guess we'll see. The first four were two weeks late, five was two weeks early and the last was on time. I wouldn't frown at 38 weeks again as Jazzi was only 7.3 and got to wear all the tiny clothes. LOL I sure wouldn't want to go any earlier than that!

My blood pressure was up just a bit yesterday and they are going slightly nutso on me. Geesh. It's barely elevated, way below being able to be treated, etc. So I have to go back next week and she's talking about extra tests. I wish I liked this doctor more but I just don't. She's seems to talk at me, not listen to me and always seems in a rush. She's just not very friendly. I don't see that changing before I deliver so I may switch again. My friend really likes her doctor, he delivers at the same hospital and they do most of their testing and stuff in their own office rather than run you all over.

I guess I better get my buns in gear but wanted to say hey before I hit the floor running!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5884411

Goodmorning All and welcome to the new members!

Not much going on around here. Still no word on a new job and probably won't be till after Christmas. DH is bored out of his mind. I put us on a diet starting yesterday morning...OMG, DH is dealing me so many fits about it, that you'd think I put him on bread and water only diet!

Cold here...high today 38*. But 50-60* the next 2 days! WhooHoo!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5884416

msrobin, That is cruel and unusual punishment! Nobody starts a diet until January 1st! LOL

Hello Toni!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5884428

(snicker) Chele, they do when they can't fit into their work clothes, nor bend over enough to lace up their work boots!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5884465

LOL Get him one of those maternity belly bands so he can leave his pants unbuttoned and not lose them?

As you can see, I've not gotten far...I was posting a can of formula on freecycle and asking for a small Christmas tree. I can't see dragging in and putting up the big one this year. I think a 3' one might fit in the bay window and save a lot of space!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5884470

Good Morning! Welcome to all the newbies, too! What fun to hear new voices joining in. :)

Polly, I love sibs, have several clumps of a common blue, and a white clump from Near this past ORV RU that I hope survives. Bonnie, mine don't get much water and they do fine.

Today will be busy. All the venison I got recently is out on the counter (since we defrosted and inventoried the freezer yesterday). So today I'm the butcher. And maybe the baker... I also defrosted grated zucchini for zucchini bread. (But I'm not a candlestick maker...)

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5884491

My friend offered me part of her 80 pounds of ground venison. I had to refuse it as nobody here will touch it! I hated to turn down food but I hate to waste it too. Her freezers are over flowing and will only get worse as the cows mature. Aye aye aye. She didn't offer me any beef. LOL

NOW, I am really going to the shower!
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008

Post #5884492

Mornin Badseed
That is funny about you having 6 girls and the new one a boy. my younger brother has 7 also they have 6 boys and 1 girl.

I know what school you are talking about I went there, I didn't know that is was on ebay. I don't think that it is worth that, I just took my husband by it a couple of weeks ago to show him where I went to elementary school (K-3rd) before they combined the school district with 2 other schools, to make it C.R. Coblentz school district, not it is National Trail, that was the name of the high school when I went there, then that school became the middle school for 5-8 grades. it is really run down, it is not worth a million. especially in Preble county, the biggest town there is Eaton.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5884539

((((((((((Chele)))))))))))))))) Hey how is my cyber nephew doing????

((((((((((MsRob))))))))))))) It should be illegal to start a diet at Christmas time. Wait til January! I couldn't do it if I tried.

Take it easy!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5884554

LOL...just because they're asking that much for it doesn't mean they'll get it!! Especially in this economy!

Welcome STP...surely would love to call you by your real name or nickname...want to share what that is? You must plan on coming to the Spring RU...it is fun, fun, fun...and don't listen to anyone who tells you about a ditzy girl that locks her keys in the truck it is absolutely a lie...

Did I hear someone say Cookie?????? (Hi Toni)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5884637

Good morning everyone! Wow!! You all sure have been busy!!!
Welcome to pollyk...(I may have said that yesterday!)...and stplong! I am not far from West Man...New Madison here!!
Well sounds like somebody bought that school to make some money!! Chele...I told ya...should have bought it!!
Stplong...I grew up in Bellbrook...just west of Xenia! And your little girl is darling!!!
Well today is Wally day for me! I dread it! Ya know...I am walking there...but I have to say... it just kills my legs. I guess it is the cement floors? By the time I am done...I am draggin'!
Oh well..it's good exercise.
Jazz...glad you are feeling better. Neal...sorry to hear about another friend passing. Seems when it rains..it pours.
Chele..thanks for telling me the due date...Don't think I had heard that.
Jules...well I guess someone just found out it was easier to do it in the nuker, huh?
Bonnie...kids and their phones!!!
Darius...why not a candlestick maker???? Might as well!!
Hi Bertie, Dusty, Toni, George, Lou the lurker, :)), and ...oh heck...Hi to ALL of you who are lurking...or just haven't gotten around to posting!
Nothing much going on here. Have to go dry my hair and get ready for lunch...and make my list!
Have a great afternoon !!!
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008

Post #5884638

Sure my name is Donna, would be nice to go, depends on whats up at home, I make alot of stuff and sell on ebay.
\I can tell you they won't get that for that price, the school is in the middle of no-where, West Manchester only has maybe 400 people living in it,
here is a picture of it what it looks like now

Thumbnail by stplong

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5884667

Hi Donna..we cross posted. Yep..that's the school alright!
Well..it's a small world for sure!
Ok...got to run here...take care!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5884674

Maybe they're wanting to sell it to a developer to make a housing platt. Lots of room! Bertie and I were talking about Middletown making the list of the top 10 dieing towns in America...sad...
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5884740

I know at one time after the school district sold it a friend of mine ran a daycare center in the far wing of (where all the windows are) I think there was some issues with the building and she couldn't run it there anymore.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5884877

I hope nobody put money on it cause I opened the box. ::::::::smile::::::::That kid of mine is something else.

He bought me a new cpu when the old one died. In the big box was a 21 inch flat screen monitor and HP printer from Alex and Elijah.

How cool is that?

((((((( Cookie and Marcy and Lou and the rest of the rafters ))))))))))))))))))))))))

This message was edited Dec 12, 2008 12:11 PM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5884914

Good morning, I had to run to the bank and the post office to get that phone charger in the mail, hope she wasn't expecting it overnight!!

Just finished cleaning the refrigerator, that is a sure appetite suppresant!! Have you seen green turkey lately? Hehehe.

Now Toni, are you gonna confess that you opened it early, or pretend like you are opening it on Christmas Day, while he is on the phone?

Darius, if I lived closer, I would come over and do the candle making for you!!

Polly and Donna, this is a very diverse group, and most of us are crazy. Would love it if you could come to the spring RU and get introduced, love meeting new people.

Well, gotta go find something to get into for the afternoon, much to do, so I get to choose my poision.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5885158

Not guilty! (Fingers crossed)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5885284

Toni you are a stinker, i m gooooing toooooo teeeeeelllllll " *wink* good score !
welcome newbies. ! come one and come all . Glad to see some new faces.
My name is SUe and i have 5 yr old twins and a 18 yr old. Yeah i thought i would try it again 12 yrs later , duh. what was i thinking ? LOL
darius to funny on the candle maker . Looks like you got a good haul and a full freezer.
we are getting a good dusting of snow throughout most of the day
went to grocery and that was my outside for the day hahahah
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5885355

I'm taking a short break... my back always kills me when I stand at the kitchen counter for a long time. I got 4 pounds of pork roast (raw) cubed and ground for past of the sausage, and all the venison boned but not cleaned of silverskin and fat. Also cleaned some beef suet and ground it to render. Man, beef suet is nothing like beef fat! Anyway, that left me a pan full of kidneys that I will sauté for the cats.

In the middle of doing all that, I remembered I had made an appt. to get my oil changed. (I made the appointment so I wouldn't have to wait.) So, after waiting 30 minutes and no sign of an empty bay, I left. My fuse is short right now, and besides... there is a quick-oil change place in town and I'll get the oil changed there after my trip next week while I'm still close on the mileage. I have to treat this 16 year-old vehicle kindly!

Okay, back to work... and to bring in firewood CAREFULLY before it snows again...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5885366

((((Darius)))) Please be careful...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5885471

That's just nuts, to have an appointment and have it mean nothing. I had that happen when I did a mystery shop at a Midas shop, plus I had to stay there the whole time and "stretch my legs" and mosey around the parking lot so I could provide details on how many cars were there, what the employees were wearing, etc. Then had to wait and listen to the spiel about what parts I needed to have replaced...I was there almost FOUR hours. Never again, even if it's "free" through the mystery shop!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5885520

I agree, GW... it's different if you are seeing a doctor who got tied up in surgery or the delivery room, but for a small town garage that mostly does tires and oil changes... phhhtttt.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5885631

yes darius be careful
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5885850

Wow when I sold for the phone company if we made appointments with our customers and didn't keep them our boss would have a caniption fit. Besides, we were only short changing ourselves cause if we didn't sell we didn't get paid...or eat...or shop...or have a job for much longer LOL. People better know that there are a ton of people out there wanting you to miss appointments with your customers so they can come right down the street to them. They should have at least given you a coupon for 20% off or whatever for when you come back. People are so short sided now a days.

Anyway...been doing a lot of nothing today. We got about an inch of snow with ice underneath so I decided to not skate around Cleveland.

Got the tree stuff upstairs and trying to work myself up to putting it up. My mother and I had this Christmas ritual where we would wrap our Christmas present to each other using this big red velvet bow she made and give the bow back and forth to each other. We did this since the early 80's. It was just a little silly thing we did between each other.
As I was going through the boxes, guess what I found?. I had forgotten all about it and remembered she gave me one of those 3 pan serving dishes with the bow on it last year. This year would be my turn to give it back to her. I paid for the kids to go to Vegas and sent Derek Santa's pay since I won't be going to California until March. So I get to keep it. That kinda made me sad.

I think I may put it on the box from the boys to me and start a new tradition but I think I want to just look at it for a while first.

BBL

T

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5885896

Toni , what a sweet memory you had with your mom. :) Im sure this is hard for you this year without her. :( big (((((Toni))))))
how is that little Oprah doing ? what is she asking santa for the holidays ? a giant bone maybe ? lol
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5885930

I think your idea of starting the tradition with your sons is a good one. :) (((hugs from me, too)))
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5886271

Hello all!
Just wanted to show you what my hollar' looks like today. I love this type of snow. I went out last night late and the whole woods were glowing. I got to do my favorite thing and walk around while it was still flurrying. Suzie was smelling something good up the creek!

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5886276

Want to see what a very unhappy cold Chihuahua looks like? Emma always has to go where I go.

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5886355

((((((((Toni))))))))))).. Get the tree up and hang it up on the top this year.. Next year, you can send it to the LT...
And just what is wrong with Jemimah??? Did you forget her portrait is hanging over my mantle??? LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5886539

Donna WELCOME!
My SO Robyn's Family has strong Roots in Preble County, especially in the Eaton/Camden area.
And MANY of us here have roots in Kettering and Creek.
And in fact I was just thru Xenia two weeks ago...
Small world!

BERTIE! GREAT to see you here!

Polly I'm w/ you on the Beardless Iris.
They are my favorite type too.
Siberians and aquatics do very well here.
Robyn likes the Bearded Types... but as I am bearded too... LOL!

We're meeting up w/ dryad (Robin) and her Sister tomorrow morning.
50 or so pounds of prime lamb coming our way.
Hooking up in Dillsboro, IN... where ever THAT is...
(There actually is a LAMB, Indiana near there but out of both of our ways... LOL!)
I also just cut a deal for Angus Beef for Spring... so we may just need another freezer...

(((Neal))) HANG TOUGH!
It's definitely a bad patch you're going thru for sure.
Call ANY of us if you need a shoulder!

We're going to use these doors for the time being.
We've had them...like most of the stuff in the FPR... in the garage for years.
A little paint and some TLC...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5886700

Evening all, Toni, finding things like that gives you a jolt doesn't it? It will be better next year, and you can start that new tradition. ((hugs)) to you.

Ric, those doors will be fine, with a new coat of paint. What are you puting on the ceiling? Yuck on the lamb, you can have my part of it.

I didn't get much accomplished this afternoon, a friend stopped by, and that meant I had to entertain and listen, she is going through a rough patch right now, so that was more important than finishing any chore I had to do. Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully can get some things done then.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5886715

The temp is steadily dropping ever since I got home...It was 22* then, and now is it 17.6 *...I didn't even to go the barn to get my check or turn in my paperwork...I'll do that in the morning, and go the bank, and Krogers and come home and kick hinnie in my kitchen and dining room...and get some ornaments on this pathetic naked tree...I hope...

My Winchester patient that I had this morning, is a very sweet lady Vet that is a parapalegic...She had something in her yard that I coveted last Spring...and she said when she got the one she really wanted, that I could have it...Today was the day...It rode around all day today in the Wheelie with me...She got her new one, and Blessed me with this one for my Christmas gift...It is the Catholic Saint, Francis, the Patron Saint of the birds and animals...I have never ever seen one this large, (it is almost 4 feet tall) and if I had, it would have been out of my price range I'm sure...She was mighty sneaky in telling dispatch that this was her last appt. until after Christmas and she absolutely HAD to have me come get her, so I could get my gift...They finally asked me about my *Silent Passenger* that I had in the Wheelie all day when I called in tonight... Then they told me that she had told them what she was up to...How sweet is that?? LOL

Michelle... I win the bet with myself!!! I guessed HE was due around St Paddys Day...;-)) I sure do hope you decide to name HIM Noland...I think Noland Craig would be a wonderful name for HIM... ;-))

Darius...I had a thought...Perhaps you could find one of those metal luggage carriers at a Thrift Store somewhere, and you could stack firewood on it and pull it in behind you...They look like a mini 2 wheel dolly and they fold up to stow them...With a good sturdy Bungee strap it might work...small loads, but at least you wouldn't have armloads...
However.. my first suggestion is to tell the unemployed among you that the chore of bringing in the firewood is up to them...Especially the younger one...

Bons!! I am shocked that you would tell these two Newbies that *Most* of us are crazy...Shame on you !!! You know very well that every one of us are *Certifiable*!!! ORVG stands for OH Realllly Veeery Gnuts!!!
ROFLLLLLLLLLL Of course they have likely figured that out by now due to their Lurking...LOL
I sure do hope DGD appreciates your extra efforts today...

Geo!! You gots wayyyy more *S* than we do..Ours is allll gone!!!
Glad you could enjoy it Lil Bro...
What size is that Chi-hula-hula Miz Emma?? I may have a coat to fit her in my Rescue stash...

Welll all.. I think I have a hot date with a guy named Shower and I am gonna go meet him...He has been calling my name for over an hour...
Pups just went out and did their thing, so we are all ready for hitting the rack...I am soooo glad that thing is up off the floor this last week...LOL

Love and Huggggs to all!!!
Sleep tight!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5886795

Thanks everyone for the welcome, and it looks like I brought out some other lurkers too. How neat.

And how nice to see lots of people like the beadrless irises. Defoecat, they don't need tons of water. If you can grow daylilies you can grow sibs. They love regular garden soil.

Sounds like you guys are really busy. 7 kids, 61/2 kids , and an 18 uear old and 5 year old twins. Wow, are some of you busy. Bless your hearts. What families full of joy.

And what a beautiful, peaceful picture, George.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5886802

Little Emma is all of 3lbs. She has a sweater, but forgot to put it on her. She just sneaks out with me all the time and I will not even know it until I look down. She came from a friend I made give her to me. They were so busy and had 5 other dogs, so she got left behind a lot. Now she is a spoiled baby and is my shadow.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5886806

I forgot to say HEY! Polly. I hope to have some really nice beardless thanks to her ; ) You should have seen what I got from her!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2008
4:04 AM

Post #5886814

Geo .. I think I may hve an insulated coat that will fit her.. What is her neck to tail measure??
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5886838

Polly, I am so glad that my child rearing days are over. I have just substituted dogs for the human kind!!

George she is a pretty little girl, and for heaven's sake, get her a coat, she will catch pneumonia going out all naked like that!!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #5886960

Hey George! I hope to see some nice pictures in the spring.

Defoecat, I am so glad my child rearing days are over too, but there's still my husband...But I truly appreciate people that have lots of children, that have the love to take care of them, and the patience. Just taking them to their school activities is a great undertaking nowdays. Nothing better than a large family with loving caring parents. My first few years in my working days were spent in children services at the Dept of Soc Serv. I truly, truly appreciate parents that love and care for their kids.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
6:32 AM

Post #5887017

I hope everyone got a chance to see the moon tonight. My woods are completely glowing. I have taken a couple of frolics outside to enjoy the scene. It's like a fantasy world out there. I watch and read lots of fantasy movies and books. The scene outside reminds me of the movie "legend" with Tom Cruise. I am expecting unicorns to be coming down my creek any Minute now! Well thanks to marcy I have just baked another 2 sugar cream pies. I forgot the 1/2 and 1/2 and used pure whipping cream. Turned out perfect and so decadent. I am going to spring these pies at our Christmas eve "party" for the kids. The grown up's will love these. This is a defiant keeper recipe. I am munching on a piece right now.
George

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #5887020

Hmmm, lemme see...
George, lovely snow pic... we didn't get much, but the creek is up.
Dusty, GREAT looking statue... (and I have a good hand truck, just keep forgetting to get it out of the barn)
Ric, I have doors in my barn just like your white ones... and same dinginess, LOL. What are you paying for the lamb?

Waving to everyone else~~~~~

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2008
6:37 AM

Post #5887022

Geo, we cross-posted. Too cloudy to see the moon here; it's supposed to be the biggest visual of the moon in the past 15 or so years. Sigh.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5887354

Thank you (Henery) Ric
I have alot of family in Preble county with the last name ROBBINS I am related to half of Lewisburg my Grandpa lives there and my Uncle, my great aunt & uncle had 10 kids, ane most of them still live around Lewisburg, and Eaton. It is a small world.
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5887458

Hi all! I just met Kimberley (gardenwife) and she asked me to stop in to say "hi" from a fellow Ohioan! :-)
~chele
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5887478

Hey Chele! I hadn't even noticed you're in Ohio! Welcome to the Coffee House :-)
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5887494

Thanks gemini! Got my cup o joe in hand. :-) I'm in a Columbus suburb - how far away are we?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5887509

Bwah! I feel like I'm caught in a conversation with myself without even participating. LOL Gemini talking to Chele...I am both. I've really lost it now. help help

Welcome Chele! I'm the other Chele, gardening in Ohio! And another Gemini. LOL Who's the good twin? Who's the bad twin? Triplets separated by birth?
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5887514

Ok I am really cracking up because I am a gemini as well!!! Ahhhhh! What have I fallen into??
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5887517

Hi Chele, hi Gemini...maybe I'm just talking to myself?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5887612

LOL I figured people would read my post and think I was nuts. LOL (Not saying I'm not nuts...)

When's your birthday? June 9th here!
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5887627

Good to know we're not really long lost twins. I'm May 22.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5887675

chuckle I recently read about twins that were born 14 weeks apart!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5887690

Hi Chele welcome.

Ric, glad to know Robin is still "with" us!!! She certainly is being quiet on here!

Toni, dear...hugs for you in this first Christmas without your mom. I hope you have sweet memories and are not too sad.

Dusty...SCORE!!!! Good for you. It will fit in nicely!

Bertie is off to Kentucky today to celebrate a college graduation for her granddaughter. She is always anxious to get back home when she goes down there...I think she's afraid they'll lock her up and keep her... :-)

We're watching the little KJ tonight...he will be two in April but his mommy says he's already in to the terrible twos...I watched him on Thanksgiving and he IS a handful...wish us luck.

Here's a picture of my Christmas tree. Poor little angel has her head in the ceiling instead of the clouds...

Thumbnail by joycet

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5887729

Goodmorning Everyone! What a wonderful frosty morning on my hilltop! What's so wonderful, you ask? Suppose to be 50* today and 60* tomorrow. WhooHoo!

The diet is going well, with little grumbling from DH. I had to get on him the first day about if he wasn't going to give it a good effort, I didn't want to hear any whining whatsoever about being tired and not feeling well. We weighed ourselves this morning and he's lost 4.5# and I've lost 3#. Pretty happy about that! Did I mention on an earlier post that he said the only thing really missing was bread and potatoes? Litttle does he know how much is really missing! LOL!

Welcome to the new visitors! Wonderful group of people here and great friends! Laughing at how there is bound to be some double takes when reading posts from the 2 Cheles!

Darius, I'm disappointed! You"re not a candlemaker, too? LOL! Oh, well, Martha Stewart still doesn't have anything on you...you could run circles around her with your skills!

Toni, T&P are with you! I love the idea of passing on the bow tradition to your son. Yesterday was pretty rough for me because it was DM's birthday and she loved the Christmas season.

Bonnie, Is GD having serious cell phone withdrawals, yet? One of mine got her phone wet this past summer while visiting...bordered on hysteria for a couple of days till the phone dried out.

Joyce and Dusty, you two are getting quite a little group starting up in your neighborhood. How nice for you both!

Dusty, the statue is awsome! What a nice surprise!

Sue, any idea when T will be going back to work? We'll probably be here till after New Years now. Money will be pretty tight by then, but it's always good to be able to be home for Christmas. Will probably be pulling into the next job on fumes...good thing gas prices are down!

George, Emma is adorable!

Ric, looking good on the new room!

Waving and saying a special hello to those I missed mentioning! :-)

Hope everyone has a great day!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5887792

Good morning everyone!!
Welcome to the 'new' Chele!! Well...AND the 'old' one too...lol!!
Looks like you all have been busy for sure this morning!
We slept in a bit...so getting a late start here. And we will be off to Christmas shop! About time...don't you think???
I only have to shop for the little ones. The bigger ones get money. That's what they want!
Geo...I am sure that pie was good...and FATTENING!!!! Shhhhhhhhhhh...I didn't say that!!! I think I will make one for Christmas too. I also have to make my malted milk ice cream pie too. Make it every year!
Loved your pics George! Yes...that moon was huge last night! And gorgeous!!
Well...the walking at Wally wasn't quite as bad yesterday. My legs hurt...but not as bad as last week...so maybe things are improving?
I go back to the dr on Monday. Why? I have no idea!! So he can see how good I am walking?????
Waving to each and every one of you out there!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!! Have a good day!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5887820

LOL, I love the Chele, Chele, gemini, gemini, gemini exchange! Too funny...

Robin, I may have to become a candlemaker after all... turns out the kidney fat I'm rendering is tallow! (That is, if you render it 3X so it becomes hard.) If I can get more kidney suet for free, I'll convert it to more tallow now since it stores okay, and consider making candles later in winter. Tallow isn't the best for candles at all, but it is historically important. I'd love to scour the woods for bayberries, too.

It's supposed to warm up here, too. Not so much today as the next several days though. Maybe I can get motivated to finish the yard clean-up before Tuesday when I go upstate again.

I slept late (was awake until almost 3 AM) so I'm off to find food...

TaTa
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5887905

Good Afternoon y'all...Just a quick *drive-by* before I head out to do my errands...I have been putzing around here all morning, and cooking something special for my Landlord...I absolutely must stay in his good graces, as he snuck over here and installed a banister on the basement stairs for me...I guess I will have to cook something special for my spouse too, as yesterday he made a wonderful bar for me to hang my clothes on when they come from the dryer...Cookie used to hang hers from the pipes, but I ain't near tall enough for that...LOL

It's up to 26* here, so I'm off...

Y'all have a great day...

cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5887961

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Waving with floured fingers - today's our baking day. With 4 girls in the kitchen though, had to take a break. :-) I look forward to meeting everyone!
~chele
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #5887981

Chele you've been having conversations w/ yourself since I've known you.
And CERTAINLY the birth of the 6 Pack has reinforced that!
We all know when we talk to our kids we're really just talking to ourselves...

Other Chele WELCOME!
or is New Chele and OLD Chele... LOL!

We just got back from meeting Robin and her Sis.
(COLD AS A ... well let's just say it was still under 20 and breezy when were talking Lamb.)
It was fun finally hooking up w/ her.
As w/ about everyone we've met at Dave's she's a BIG Hugger!
And as delightful as I expected.
We only had about a 1/2 hour to chat but it was great fun!

I'm hoping we can get her Sis here to Dave's too.
Bonnie or Darius we HAVE to hook her up w/ MaryE.
They will both be in Sheep heaven!

Off to work on the Room.
Ric

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5887988

You better watch it with the OLD comments buster! I am hormonal and could turn on you any minute! LOL

We have one kid watching basketball games that needs picked up. We have to drop one with another family when we go to Carly's game so she can go to a birthday party. We have a soccer party tonight and another tomorrow. Who's on first??

Off and running!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5888020

Good morning!

Oprah and I kinda slept in. Stayed up late looking at pictures and getting the tree together.

Geo little Emma is absolutely a cutie! Tell her cousin Oprah said hey!

The bow is under the tree and will more than likely be passed on next year to the Lt. He got kinda melancoly last night when I told him I found it. I hadn't realized we were passing it for most of his life. I think I may get him a sweater or something this year and give it to him.

Going to get some stuff around here done. Gonna go have coffee with a friend and see what kind of hijinx I can get in to brush away this funk that is trying to get me down.

OOOO Pretty Woman is on!

Have a great day!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5888073

This is a picture of DGD's stained glass sun catcher that she made for her mother for Christmas. I still need to add the chain for hanging. It is a calla lily bloom.

Thumbnail by defoecat

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5888144

NICE Work!
And what an instant heirloom!
I have an old 'Real' Lead on around here I made my Mother about 45 years ago.

Ric
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5888266

Very pretty indeed! Please tell her we are in awe of her status as an 'arteest', Bonnie!
Hello, new people!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5888451

Gemini's, Gemini's Gemini's and I make 4! May 23rd. It's no wonder there is so much chatter on here. Hey new Chele! Well off to make another sugar cream pie(Jeff has claimed the other one from last night) Neal is coming up and we are going to a friends house after the visitation. I am making another sugar cream pie and blackberry fried pies. We just can't all get together without lots of food!

The medication rearranging has done wonders. No swelling in my feet, BP down and my energy level is great! Jeff had a major melt down last night on me, but he doesn't understand all this medical talk. Poor guy. He is so scared I will get sick again. I am going to fix a nice meal for my boys before I go to the friends house. Better get on it!
Hugs all around!!
George
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5888455

Great news about the med switch helping. So glad that you are feeling better. Better stop all the talk about fried fruit pies, I can be there in 2 hours you know!!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5888530

Lovely suncathcher. How special!

Great news George. Praying that the change of meds will be it, then.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5888900

Great news (((((Geo)))))!!!! Hopefully that is the end of that!!

Well I survived the errands...stopped off to see my Landlord, and give him his treat, get a hug and a smootch from Cookie, play with the Cayenne by the roaring bonfire of pinelogs that Bro has burning, and walked back home...what a treat!!! Cookie tried to entice me with some wine, but I passed...I cleaned up my mess in the kitchen, started another one, took the laundry hamper to the basement and brought up all of the clothes Cookie left for me for the Vets closet...I had to get another big box to put them in...:-))
I am working on the dining room now...Tools etc. in there that need to be gone...I can't decide to take them to the garage or the basement... LOL...Oh yeah, and I swept off the front porch, and got a better pic of my St. Francis...There is a bird in his hand, and one by his hip, and at the base there is a small bunny...I am sooo proud of this... What a wonderful gift that I will treasure always...

I got my small Christmas tree up on the cabinet in the dining room, and the Ancient Nativity set put next to it...All that is left is to put the ornaments on the big tree, and clear off the dining table...I have yet to locate my table runner, and that is really frustrating me...If it does warm up tomorrow, I will put the lights up on the front porch...
I am going to work on my reef tank tomorrow while I do laundry...The new snails have done a wonderous job of cleaning the coral and rocks, not to mention the back corners of the glass...My Freshwater tank is doing terrific now too...The fish are happy and the water is crystal clear...

Off to get supper in front of the spouse...Cornbread is nearly done..

Have a good evening y'all...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2008

Post #5890458

WAKE UP! LOL!

We went to a drive thru Holiday Lights deal last night w/ our neighbors.
The county throws one at Sharon Woods and it is a beautiful wooded site.
We had heard marvelous things about it.
Well 3 miles of backed up traffic AFTER we entered the park we got to the display.
Paid the fee (WAY too much) and then were told to turn our lights out and drive thru.
We did... the people behind us didn't... errrr... we finally yelled at them to dim the lights.
4 girls too busy talking... TOTALLY ignored... so we let them pass... w/ a few choice words LOL!
THEN as we entered a light tunnel... REAL cool!... traffic again stopped.
Somehow there was a wreck ...at 3 MPH!...
AND they decided to get out and do the insurance thing... idiots!
luckily an off duty cop was behind them and got them to move on...
So we then proceded to finish the display.
Real pretty!
WAY too expensive!
2 hours wasted plus the gas...
NOT on our list of things ever to do again! LOL!

For the Preble/Darke folks Terri said Fort St. Clair is a MUCH nicer deal!

45° (Wind Chill 39°) going to the low 50's and we are under a Wind Advisory AGAIN!

the national weather service in wilmington has issued a wind
advisory...which is in effect from noon today to midnight tonight.
Here we go again!

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5890483

Good Morning!

Ric, we are supposed to get to the low 50's too; haven't heard about any wind advisories...

Today's chore list is to finish the chores on the list from yesterday, LOL.

Wishing everyone a lovely day...!!
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5890728

Everyone must be busy today, I know I am, I have lots to do we are leaving for Jacksonville Florida, on the 21st. I have alot to get finished.

Have a nice day!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2008
5:47 PM

Post #5890845

Hi All...Bonnie, you didn't have to say it was a calla lily...it looks exactly like a calla lily. What a great job she did. I hope her mom gives it proper praise!

George...great news. Keep up the good work.

Ric we drove through that once. I think the trick is to get there just before it turns dark. Then the line isn't so bad, but you are right about it being overpriced and once was quite enough. I can't get Bill to do much in the way of light sights... :o( Only reason we did that one was because my folks asked us to and they paid. I'd love to see Ludlow Falls again...I don't even know if they're still doing that one but I always enjoyed that walk.

Did you tell Robin to get her arse back here? Glad you got a hug. Is lamb on the menu for tonight?

Well, I best get myself back to wrapping. I'm missing my box, box. I will have to do some creative wrapping!!

Waving to all I didn't mention...hope you have a great Sunday.

stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5890909

No they don't do Ludlow Falls anymore, they didn't get enough in donations to keep it running, it was really nice, I lived in Miami county for 20 years before remarrying.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5891765

Wonderful news George!
Beautiful sunchaser.

Good evening all. Rainey and gray up Cleveland way all day today. I did absolutely nothing today cause i honestly missed most of it. I stayed up late last night watching the tube and took a pain pill that pretty much knocked me out until noon. I wanted to go to church but missed it.

Anyway, enjoying the Christmas present I am not supposed to have yet and eating some cookies and cream ice cream while I watch a bunch of stuff I put on the DVR and forgot about.

So...catch ya later I suppose.

T
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5892318

(((GEORGE))) GREAT News!

Cookie we had Lamb Chops last night.
GREAT mild flavor, almost no grease and very little fat.
We're thinking hard about a Yearling.

57° here and we didn't get the wind...

We did start 'Icing the Cake'.
The open area will be a Broom/Cleaning supply Storage.
The doors and curtains of course will be changed out.
Robyn will probably start priming tomorrow.
More beadboard and some drywall next up.
As we are doing my Family Christmas next Saturday I'd say we'll wait for the Holiday 5 day weekend for the next big push.

Ric

This message was edited Dec 14, 2008 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5892411

Evening all, I was busy all day. First church then lunch and kitchen cleaning. Laid down to take a nap, but somehow that didn't happen. I tackled more paper work, paying bills and sending more Christmas cards, and cleaning off my desk. I can actually see the top of it now.

Last night DMIL asked if I would fry some fish and make hushpuppies and have DH bring them to her. Well, I did, and DH took a plate to her at the hospital. He said she ate one hush puppy, and ate about 1/2 of a small piece of fish. Even so, glad that I did that for her.

Ric, I am just not a lamb eating person. I know it looks good, but I just have a problem with it. It goes back to my childhood, when my DF raised sheep. Won't go into specifics, but rest assured I have a good reason for staying away from it. Nuff said. Now give me a beef, pork, chicken, turkey, any kind of sea food, and I am good. I don't do internal organs of any animal though.

I have a funny story, about internal organs, but it probably is not appropriate here. If you just have to know, d-mail me.

Ric that plant room is slowly getting there. I know that if you have 5 days to work on it, it will be a done deal.

Toni, are you enjoying your Christmas present that you aren't supposed to have yet? Hehe, I like that one.

Thanks for the compliments on the cala lily, this is not DGD's thing though. She told me tonight that she is not ever gonna do another project. Guess she wasn't overly impressed with me as the teacher.

Speaking of light sight seeing, at the Kentucky Horse Park they have a tour each year, with spectacular scenes throughout the park. It is pricey, but if you cram enough people in the car, it is reasonable. They charge by the vehicle. While we were out last night, DH took another route home, to show me a couple of houses. One was lights from top to bottom, and many on the trees, shrubs and in the yard. Another very close by, had a nativity scene, it wasn't "Showy", just pretty. Our Sunday paper had pictures of several homes in Louisville, with an astronomical number of lights on them. One house had a large evergreen in the yard with 78,000 lights on it alone. Wonder if they pay installments on the electric bill all year long?

A good friend of mine's son killed himself on Friday night, they found him Saturday morning. Sat in the car with the motor running in the garage. I went this afternoon to her house, and she is a mess. I fear for her sanity. Please keep me in your t & p's tomorrow night and Tuesday morning, as I will be with her for the visitation and the funeral. So sad, but even more so at this time of year.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5892901

Many Prayers in the Smoke Bons...I am soo sorry...It is a hard thing for a parent to bury a child, but doubly so when death is by their own hand...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5892904

Thanks Dusty. It will be a tough week, as I try to console a good friend.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #5892935

Get some rest Dear One...You are most assuredly gonna need it...

I am missing my Eldest boy tonight...I tried to get the tree done, and found some ornaments he had made or given me...Since I didn't put up a tree last year, I didn't see them...Kinda put a hammer in my backside...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5893568

Good morning everyone.
Bonnie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend ...as well as everyone else who is missing a loved one.
Well...supposed to go to a drs appt this afternoon...which means leaving shortly. But it is already 32 degrees here and (they) are saying it is already 'icing' in Randolph county...which is the next county over from us in Indiana. So we haven't made up our minds whether or not we are going????? It's not like it is a critical thing. Just a check up on the knees.
Dave is for staying home...and I kinda am too...buttttttt...would like to get this over with too. He doesn't like driving on ice...did it for years traveling back and forth to work 100 miles a day. And I did too...just not as far. Hmmmmmmm...what to do??
Ok...just wanted to let you all know I am still here...and I will talk to you later!!!
Everyone have a great and safe day out there!!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5893712

Good morning all!
Well it begins. I have the first of quite a few Dr. appointments today starting at 11am. They are rushing me in quick. Which is good. I love this doctor today. She is a nurse practitioner. Both my Dr. are(well I guess they are not Dr., but prefer them to regular Dr. nurses are smarter!! Hehe) I can already feel the effects of the drug changes. They are all good. I can wear my favorite boots now and my rings. My energy level is great, so hope these appointments come out good.

The only thing that is bugging me is for some reason my mothers death is really getting to me. Well my nephew and other friends(even pets) I have lost also. I even started moving plants out of the memorial garden and plan to just work the soil and fill it with wildflowers. It was starting to look like a graveyard. I guess It's just the time of year. I have also felt the separation of some good friends. We have been walking on different paths. Just the cycle of life. It just seems to be going faster as I get older!
Hugs to all!!
George
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5893754

Bonnie, my heart goes out to your friend. Having seen what my cousin, Lois went through for all those years after her daughter's suicide, I've had a glimpse of that pain. I realized later I'd said that happened 16 years ago, but meant to type 26 years ago. She never had a happy Christmas again. Please encourage your friend to seek grief counseling. A mother losing a child, and to suicide as well, is a pain I can't conceive.

We had a lovely visit in Morehead Saturday night. Dave got delayed out of town, so we didn't make it in time for the visitation at the funeral home. Changed the plan and visited at a friend's house, spent the night, and went to the funeral the next day. George brought the promised pie, and it did not disappoint! I had 3 pieces, and still found myself wanting to grab it out of the friend's hand who took the rest home, LOL. Yes, I'll be making sugar cream pies in the near future! I'm a big fan of custard pies anyway, but these are way up on my list of favorites now. And I must add George added perfect light touch of nutmeg (I think?)- just a hint, so the cream flavor prevailed.

cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5893907

oohhhh what is this sugar cream pie ya'll are talking about? I love egg custard - anything like that?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
6:47 PM

Post #5894310

Chele, Here is Marcy's pie recipe. It was on the last Ohio thread. :)

Sugar Cream Pie

1 cup white sugar
5 Tablespoons of flour
dash salt
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup half n half
2 egg yolks..NO whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
nutmeg or cinnamon
unbaked pie shell 9" NOT deep dish

Whisk flour sugar and salt together in a small bowl. In larger bowl beat egg yolks till well mixed. Add half n half, cream, and vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add sugar mixture while whisking into the liquid. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Pour into pie shell. Top with cinnamon or nutmeg..your preference. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Back to dishes and laundry, waiting for hubby to come in with groceries. We pick up our Angel Food groceries on Saturday.
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5894397

Thanks Chele!! Sounds wonderful, I'm going to make it for Christmas. Think my FIL will like it - I hope. :-)
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5894537

The only changes I made to the sugar cream pie was I used only whipping cream no 1/2 and 1/2. I whisked every thing as I made it. Even the eggs before I added the cream. Then I also really whisked the who batter until it was fairly thick. Also that makes 2 pies. I sprinkled cinnamon on mine. Oh, also I baked the pies at 350 for 30 minutes then decreased the temp to 325 for the last 30. I have made 5 so far. My boys love them! I have 1/2 of one in the freezer right now. I want to see how they freeze.
George
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5894920

((((((((((Dusty))))))))))) 'nuff said. Yeah ((((((((Cookie))))))))) I am digging my new 'puter.

Good afternoon (((((((((Family)))))))))))! I see y'all are busy swapping recipes and what not for Christmas. That pie recipe looks delicious. Wonder how it would turn out with a little lemon flavoring?

Anyway...Not much happening around these parts. A real quiet day. Helped fix a friends puter and gave her the new keyboard off my new one. I use an ergonomic keyboard and love it so I will stick with that one. Her's had pretty much bit the dust so...

Gonna go find some dinner around here. That recipe is making me hungry.

T
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5895381

Hi everyone. Glad to see you are enjoying the pie recipe. It is very famous around here...not just our house...but the the whole Darke Co. area. Of course...not everyone likes sugar cream pie, I'm sure..but if you do...!!! George...I don't know about all that whipping cream!!! Wow...the calories!!! And the fat too! I'm sure it was VERY good though...lol!!
Well..my knee dr released me today. Don't have to see him for another year!! He is soo proud of me..well..of his work on me I should say! He was telling me how a fella wanted double knee surgery...and the dr told him about me. He said..I have this 88 yr,. old woman...with diabetes 2...and she just came through it like a champ. So if you can guarantee me you will do the same...I will do both at the same time!! I was about to smack him...88 yrs old indeed!! But then he told me ...ya know...I always remember the bad ones...and not the good ones. But I will NEVER forget YOU!!! So I forgave him for the 88!!
My back dr was his proffessor in college...so he told me to say hi to Dr. Lehner. I said I would...and I would tell him how good he was too. He says..don't do that! I was kind of a goof off in college...and I'm sure he remembers that...lol! I told him it was a good thing he didn't goof my knees!!!!
Well now I have another recipe for you all...if you are interested. This one came from a new Taste of Home magazine...Cooking for Two.
It is like a quiche...only no crust .
It is called Individual Quiches
2 slices of bread, cubed
1/2 cup diced up ham
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms; fresh
1/2 cup fresh broccoli
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
1 Tablespoon chopped green pepper
6 eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Spray 4 10 oz. ramkins with cooking spray. Divide the bread cubes between the ramkins. Then layer the broccoli, mushrooms, ham, onion and green pepper. In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk and mustard. Pour over the ramkins, dividing evenly. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake..uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

I made these tonight...and they are WONDERFUL!!!
Like George, though, I had to adlib a bit. I added a little more mustard...just a squirt or two. I also sprinkled parmesan cheese in with the egg mixture. Also pepper, and a very little bit of Lawry salt.
One ramkin was enough for each of us! So we had two left. Now...it says you can cool these out...and freeze them. Then either heat in the oven for 30-35 min...or nuke them at 50% power for 4-6 min.
Try them...you'll like them!!!
Ok..I know I typed a book...but had to share!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5895912

Marcy CONGRATULATIONS!!!
One of my friends from HS was a HUGE Goof-off and I'm sure that didn't change when he went to college.
He's now a very well respected Bone Man too!
Maybe that's a prerequisite.

(((Bonnie)))

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5896124

Evening all. Went to visitation tonight, it was packed. DH brought me home and then headed out to the hospital. He isn't home, and I am beginning to worry, we have sleet and freezing rain that has been falling since about 6:00. He has the cell phone, but I don't want him trying to answer a phone if he is on the road. So, I will be sitting on the edge of my seat,until he gets here, or calls.

Marcy, great news on being released. Now to just get a good report from the back dr. What did you serve with the individual quiches? Maybe a salad and some good home made bread?

Toni glad that you were able to pass along the keyboard and help somebody else out. Did I miss something, about Dusty and Cookie? Gotta go back and read.

Ric, are you all getting this wintery mix up your way? Or Renee, don't know if it is supposed to head your way or not.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5896162

Yeah Bonnie about 24 hours of the Wintery Stuff...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5896181

Still no word from DH. I am getting very worried.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5896231

Ric and Bonnie...thanks!! Ric...you may be right about the drs and goofing off!!!!! LOL!

My back dr is hilarious too. He is head of Children's Medical Center in Dayton. A good guy!
Well..they keep changing our weather. First..we were supposed to get it...then north of I-70...we weren't. Now they are saying ice and snow moving in again! WHO KNOWS???????
Bonnie...I don't see the back dr for another yr either. So far things seem to be going good with the back. Yay for me!!
On the quiches...we just had applesauce with them. I could hardly eat all that!! It is very filling!
Well...here is hoping your hubby gets home real soon..with no problems. Keep us posted.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5896278

DH is home, said the roads were terrible, but very little traffic on them. As far as he can tell, nothing done to the roads. So if you don't have to go out, don't. Maybe by morning the roads will be better, but if the snow comes, they may be worse. Did I tell you Winter although not officially here, is really here!

Marcy, probably missed seeing your post about the back Dr. May have been absent on that day. But what a great gift for Christmas that is, knowing you are Dr free for a whole year.

I am hoping when I go for my check up in Janurary as a follow up to the surgery last year, that I am given a clean bill of health too.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5896307

Hi Guys, Just a quick update on me. First of all my computer is at the computer doctor. I couldn't get rid of the virus darn it. Hopefully it will be back soon. I hate being without it.

I understand about this time of year. I get sad..Today especially when I got doen with Christmas shopping and thought.. now surely that can't be all? Then I realized that I didn't have to buy for my grandpa or two uncles this year. :(

But life goes on and I have people around to make memories with and enjoy the season with. Bug hugs to all of you and may you truely enjoy this time of year and each moment
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
3:43 AM

Post #5896316

Oh good Bonnie! I'm glad he's home...now I can go to bed..!! I was worrying with you! Well..not dr free...still have to go in April to my family dr for BP check...and whatever else he can find wrong!!! But hopefully none until then!
Well...take care all...watch those roads...and stay safe. I am off to bed here!! Nite nite!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5896346

Thanks Marcy, I can imagine the worst in this situation.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #5896391

Wellll so much for my day off I hoped for ...Got home at 7:45 tonight, and have to be in Fairborn at 0530 for a 6 am drop in Riverside at Dialysis...I didn't even want to look at the rest of the list...I made meatloaf, mashed pots and corn on the cob last night, and Jim asked for a repeat tonight, so I said.. well you know where the nuker is...LOL
I ate an Arbys Marthas Vineyard salad for $4.99 at 3pm, and want nothing more...

Bons..I am glad DH made it home in one piece... Nothing here in Franklin yet, but did see some up by Indian Lake in Champaign county tonight...
It is down to 20 here now and was 28 when I got home...

Marcy .. that is terrrrrific news!! Jim is doing great from his back surgery... Like you, He is a new person!!!

I fed my fishies and added water and did another blowing on the reef...It is really cleaning up beautifully...Those snails and hermit crabs are doing quite a job on it in such a short time...They seem to be working from the top down...LOL...I didn't get done what I wanted to do to it this weekend, but hopefully I can next weekend...I am making new saltwater as Cookie said they were due for a change...Right now, everything is status quo, according to the tests...There are a couple of filters/pumps that need to be restarted or removed...some are unplugged, so I will make an assessment of what is needed and what is not, and remove and clean the unneeded to save as back up...Whenever I have blown the tank, it looks like green mud, but within 15 mins it is clear as glass again...so something in there is doing a fantastic job...

Off to cut Jims hair, and then find my rack...I am whupped tonight...

((((((((((Toni))))))))))

Love and huggs to all who need them...

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5896430

Hmm, nothing on the ground here in northern KY yet--not that I'm complaining!! lol
Glad to hear your DH made it safely home, Bonnie.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2008
5:19 AM

Post #5896545

Nuthin here in Franklin yet either Renee`...I sure hope it passes us by...

Got the haircut done and I am off to the shower and rack...
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #5896751

Well It's getting nasty here. Started sleeting about an hour ago and now snow mixed in. Jeff has not worked a night shift in like 3 months, but of course tonight he had to. Then hard head would not take the van, which is all wheel drive. I will worry until he is home in the morning. I hate nasty roads. I refuse to drive in them or even ride in a car with roads being bad. I had a bad experience with ice and snow roads.

So here i am up at 2 am and prob will not sleep until he is safe. The weather people don't know what to tell us. Kentucky must be in some weird weather pattern. We never really know what is coming our way. Maybe It's the hills??

So Ric how is lamb? I had it once, but I made it and don't really remember the taste. I also have a lamb coming in the spring or when it is ready to butcher. My friends have 3 that they are fattening up. They have one sold, so I decided to buy/barter one also. We are also getting calves in the spring. I just want one steer for the fall. They have 100 acres and if I help them when the calves first come. They will let me keep it on their place to graze until fall. I will have a veggie freezer and meat freezer. I love chicken, but just can't stand to kill any of my own.

Ok, I'm bored and rambling.
Goodnight all! Be safe tomorrow!!
George

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5897325

Good Morning, All! It's just rainy here, thankfully.

As soon as I get a shower, I'm heading back upstate to UVa for some tests early tomorrow. I'll be back tomorrow night.

Y'all be good (or at least have fun!)...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5897555

Good morning everyone!
Darius...you be careful out there...and good luck on the tests!
Dusty...I'm glad to hear Jim is doing so well!! That's great!! I really feel pretty good now. Oh still some aches and pains...but heck...when you have old bones that's expected isn't it??? I need to cut Dave's hair too...just can't seem to find the time to do it!!
All this talk about lamb makes me hungry for it. When I was a little girl, my grandma always had us for Easter dinner...and she always had leg of lamb. I liked it! I know a lot of people don't...but I think a lot of things like that are an acquired taste. I grew up with it. Just like venison, all kinds of wild game...tongue...things like that. Tongue grosses my hubby out...lol!! But it makes the BEST cold meat sandwiches!!! MMMMM...I may have to go buy one just for me! My mom fixed that a lot. And it's so good with noodles too. OMgosh...I gotta shut up...making myself so hungry here!!
Well..they kept changing the weather direction last night, and now we are supposed to get snow later on today...and maybe some ice. I hope it holds off until late. Tonight is Dawson's Christmas program at the church. Not far to go...just in town...but still...we are like 6 hills out of town...lol!!
I think I may try to do a little baking here today. Or maybe make those candies that Jules posted. Or maybe both!!
I hope you all have a wonderful day..whatever you do!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008

Post #5897640

Good morning. It is icey here, so DH checked the roads,and they haven't done anything to them. Was planning on going to the funeral today, but don't want to take a chance on the driving.

I had a call from a past work friend, and we got all caught up. She has gone back to work and will work through the Legislative Session. I haven't had an offer for employment was great enough to lure me back.

Just piddling around, may make some peanut brittle today. DGD called, and school was cancelled, so she is making peanut brittle to give to some friends for Christmas. She made the first batch, with about 3 calls wanting clarification on directions. So she said it turned out good.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5897847

I enjoy lamb too. In spring our friend who worked at the food co op brought us a lot of locally raised lamb. The last time I fixed some I detected some of that stronger mutton flavor, which is kind of a turn off for me. When that happens it takes a while for me to want to eat it again. I do still have some chops in the freezer, so its a good thing this talk of lamb is making it sound good again.

The same friend also brought us goat chops, and they were wonderful.

Marcy, I would like to try tongue sometime. So many people think it sounds gross, but it doesn't seem any nastier than any other flesh from a cow to me. I always imagined it would be quite lean. Of course, I'll try almost anything, LOL. As a kid I even liked liver, and still do.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5898055

You guys are making me hungry! I really like lamb especially loin. Trader Joe's had some that were pre-seasoned in a rosemary/burgandy marinade and boy was that good! We used something similar on venison as well and it is very good there too. Both those meats are nice with a hoisen sauce as well.. I like Tongue and Liver. mmm.. WIth our turkeys and chickens I make a little foil pouch and cook the heart and liver up for me since no one else likes it..yummm.. ok I have to go eat something now.. Thanks a lot!

No word on the computer yet. They did call talking about a couple program that weren't working properly and I had to tell them that that was my fault and not something the virus did. heh heh.. oh well.. hoping for good news soon.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5898085

It's been snowing here for about 2 hours now.
Maybe 1 1/2" down and of COURSE there are already 5 2 car wrecks on 275 right by here.
Bonnie, Jim said they had about 2" last night in Bracken County.
15 miles west on the AA no snow...

Ric
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5898088

Well I'm sure glad to see others like some of the same things! Neal...tongue is VERY lean. And you peel the outer skin off once it is cooked...so you don't eat any of those little taste buds...LOL!! Ok..now I have grossed everybody out!! My mother always boiled a tongue..with different spices. Been so long since I made one...I can't even tell you what? But it has a wonderful flavor.
Jazz...I like liver and heart too. And gizzards.
Hope they get your computer up and running soon!! Well..I sat down here because my little heater is here...and my legs were cold! Debating whether or not to build a fire in the stove. It sure seems cold in here...but since we have to go away tonight...not sure I want to. I know! Lots of people that heat with wood leave them burning day and night...but I kind of hate to go away and leave a fire myself.
Anyway...I am getting warm here now...!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5898091

Ok Ric...keep it down there!!
valrita

December 16, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5898098

Hi everyone!
The lamb and sugar cream pie sounds good. It's been a long time since I've had lamb. Maybe I'll drop some hints for hubby.

I've been out of town. Hubby's company sent him to New Jersey for training. Since that's where all of my family is (and I'm still unemployed), I went along too. We spent a couple of days in Washington, DC then a week in southern Jersey. It felt so good to go out running around in the marshlands. Ahhhh...Philly cheese steaks, NY style pizzas, Tastykakes, and scrapple. It's so pretty to watch the sunset in the marshes. And in DC, I finally got to see the WWII memorial. It's huge! Very nicely done. They are also working on the Korean War area but they're not done yet.

Marcy, I grew up eating game meat too. My dad went fishing, crabbing, and clamming. We also had loggerheads (turtle), deer, rabbit, and muskrat.

Thumbnail by valrita

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5898129

Ewwwwwwwwww...You ATE muskrat??????? LOL! Sorry...never heard of anyone eating them. We trapped them in our pond to get rid of them before they ruined the sides...but no one ever ate them!
Hey...welcome back Velnita!!! Glad you had a good time. Yeah...my dad, uncle, and grandfather always went hunting. Rabbits, squirrels, deer...birds. Some yummy stuff! My grandma could cook anything gamey and make it taste good! Hmmmm...wonder if she sneaked muskrat in on us?????
valrita

December 16, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5898191

Yup. Baked on low with BBQ sauce. It's not bad. He sold the skins. Sometimes I went along with him to check the traps.

My mom cooked tongue in her pressure cooker. It was okay but I liked it better the next day on a sandwich with mustard.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
6:49 PM

Post #5898269

velnita, so good to see ya back! And it sounds like getting away has lifted your spirits- been thinkin' bout ya :-)

My ex's dad was a hunter and kept us in venison all the time, I loved it. He got a bear one time and I tried that. It was really good! To me it tasted like beef with a hint of liver flavor.

Dad used to set lines for catfish, and would sometimes catch a snapping turtle. He used to say different parts of the turtle tasted like different meats, but I couldn't tell much difference. Its been years, but seems like I ate it, but wasn't overly impressed with it- kind of a tough, beefy texture with a slightly fishy taste. Dad was usually pretty good at preparing stuff he caught, but turtle may not have been his thing, LOL.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5898295

Hmmm...we used to have turtle soup! That was good!! Would get some big snappers in our pond!
Ok...I gotta get busy here...haven't done much of anything yet today!
Later everyone!
valrita

December 16, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5898455

I've never tried bear but I'd like to. I'd love to have a bear skin rug. My grandfather had one that I loved.

I don't know what kind of turtle my dad used to catch. I remember that they were big though. Two men would take a large branch and get the turtle to bite on it. Then they'd lift it up and another would chop the head off. The shell was between 2 and 3 feet across. The taste was okay but I always preferred crab and clams (yes, even raw ones). I hated to tend the crab cages though. The boards on the marsh were always broken and I was always afraid of stepping in the wrong place. It's easy to get sucked down to your waist in mud. Eating them was always fun though.

I also remember duck and squirrel but my dad wasn't fond of them much.

Yes Neal, the trip lifted my spirits. It's been 7 or 8 years since I've been home. Plus I love the history of NJ. It's cool to see houses that are older than the United States. I appreciate the kind thoughts. Hopefully jobs will open up at the beginning of the year. I've given up on finding anything this month. Wrong time of the year. And I'm anxious for spring to get here!!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5898479

Velnita, that sounds like a snapping turtle. Ouch -- can you imagine that beak clamping onto a finger instead of a branch?

Hi, everyone. Just kinda lurking lately, haven't felt much like talking. I'm still in limbo with my job, though today I found out my boss has a conference call scheduled with several people at corporate on Thursday to get this all solved. The new app system marked me as non-rehireable despite my boss coding me as a definitely would re-hire. I've been waiting a month now. :P I'm just ready to get back to *something*.

Catch y'all later. :)
valrita

December 16, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5898646

The pond where we used to go swimming was the same pond that my dad caught the turtles. I never gave it a second thought but now, I'd NEVER let a child swim in there. I think my dad told me once that the turtles were 80 to 90 pounds. But it fed my family and my aunts family (she had 7 kids, mostly boys).

I must have missed something. Are they not giving your job back to you? Has your surgery healed good?

This is part of the WWII memorial. The pic doesn't even show half of it. It's huge and really nice.

Thumbnail by valrita

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5898902

Back in August or early September, my boss told me she had to terminate me from the system and then re-hire me when I was able to go back to work. Evidently the DM was pressuring her to do this -- something to do with labor stats. Well, that nasty little man is no longer with the company, thank goodness. But, something's screwed up with the new application. My surgery's healed about as well as it will, I think. I still have to do exercises to keep everything flexible, and I hurt if I overdo things. The surgeon said I won't cause any permanent damage with anything I do, but I will cause extra inflammation and pain.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5898918

Yikes, I think I was one of the people that started us down this talking path about eating unusual things. I remember my mother frying a young ground hog and trying to pass it off as chicken. Didn't look like no chicken to me, cause it didn't have a big breast. My mother used to love turtle, DH would occasionally find/catch one, and he would clean it and take it to her to fix. They would eat it, but I never tasted it.

DH has brought in rabbitt and squirrel, fish of course, but he isn't a deer hunter. So our basic diet is fish, chicken, beef and pork. I do like beef liver occasionally, but want no part of souse, or tongue. It is a mental thing with me, and I know if I couldn't see what I was eating, it would probably be good.

Oh, I love quail and pheasant.

Well, I have done a few things around the house. Made a Christmas gift, but it is boxed to ship, so can't show you. I have been playing with etching glass, and I etched a coffee mug as a gift for a friend Turned out well.

Think I will cut out some stained glass, so that I can get started on another project.

DH is going to the hospital, and just as soon as supper is ready, and we eat, he will head out. I think the roads are better, and won't be a problem.

WBBL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5899181

Well our roads are worse! Dave made it home...but said it was very slick. Our grocery is on a corner, and he said he saw at least two cars that almost hit the building. Of course they were going too fast. But Dawson's program is cancelled...so I am glad of that. No need for us all to be out and about on these bad roads. I wasn't looking forward to trying to walk out there!!
They will reschedule it I'm sure.
I made the microwave popcorn today Lou! It is GOOD!!!! I added peanuts to it. Even Dave likes it...and he isn't a big popcorn fan.
Didn't get to the candies yet Jules...but I will!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #5899222

Hey everyone :)
Bonnie i m sorry to hear of your friends son. My heart goes out to them .T&P to you and them .
Ric i love lamb. Would you like fava beans Clarise pphhhtttt LOL
Bear is good as a sausage . Friends in Idaho got one and made sausage , to greasy of a meat for much anything else So i m told.
love the memorial Velnita. looks realy pretty. The sign reminds me of the old song "muskrat love " by Catp and Tenille. :)
a bit of snow here
How are you doing Toni :)
Jazz sorry to hear of you comp problems :( but i m glad to see you posting :) i love Trader Joe's too
Marcy its always nice to have a great dr with a sense of humor.
Gw hope things go well at the meeting at your work. Silly people don't know what a good worker you are do they ? What they would be missing if you leave.
Darius thinking of you and your test tomorrow. Hope it all goes well.
big wave to you all if i didn't mention you. sorry if i missed anyone.
Things are going ok . havn't heard from my DD. Just one of them things i guess. YOu just wait to hear from them when they are on a drug binge. Her dad and step mom are no help . So i sit and wait and pray. I just pray... ALOT... LOL :)
Have a warm night everyone
hugs to you all
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5899782

LOL!
Sue we had a running gag going about the Lambs on Carol's Parking Lot thread.

Ric Lector
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5900045

Howie came home this afternoon and said the Jetta has something wrong with the transmission, that all the gears are lighting up in the dash as if they're all in use, and it won't shift right. Tonight at his men's group, a mechanic friend of ours said these cars have something happen where they'll go into second gear and won't go back out of it. He told Howie that at most places we'd be looking at a minimum of $1000 to fix it, maybe $1500. The car's only worth about $3000 as it is, probably less.

Can I just scream now? :X I hate hearing bad news at night. Nighttime can be the worst time anyway, and to hear something like this right before I go to bed stinks.

At least we have the van still.

I'm outta here. G'night, y'all.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #5900125

Kimberly, sorry for the car problems. Could you get somebody to do a minimal fix, and then put it up for sale?

Velnita glad to see you posting. I have seen the memorial, and it is beautiful. I love Washington DC, and I love their Metro, easy to get around without having to drive.

Marcy, did you have more winter weather this afternoon? All of the precip stopped here about 11-12. Our weather liars are saying we will wake up to temps of 35 or above. So that will take some worry out of being out on the road for the grocery/errand day.

DH went to the hospital tonight, and said that there was an accident blocking the road coming home. Since he was pretty close, he was able to turn around and take another route home. The road was entirely blocked so he would have had to sit there for who knows how long. This is a stretch of road about 8 miles from here, and I don't know what the problem is, but people are all the time running off the road and through this farmer's fence. It is a stretch of about 300 yards, and the farmer averages having to fix the fence at least once every couple of weeks.

Well, off to check some other threads and e-mail.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5900152

Darn Kimberley! Bad time for car problems. ;(

I went and laid in bed then came back because I forgot to post.

Lana-Wvdaisy called me a little while ago. She is FINALLY having her surgery tomorrow. She hasn't been able to get on much and got in the weeds on the threads. I'm sure she'd love a card or some happy thoughts in her dmail. Or let me know if you'd like her email. I'm sure she is still getting that.

I'm going back to my warm covers...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
5:03 AM

Post #5900314

Hey Y'all just got in from playing bingo.

Hope your tomorrow is better than your today!

Hugs and good vibrations to all who need 'em!

T
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2008
11:08 AM

Post #5900646

Kimberley first have it scoped.
Do not take it to a transmission shop.
It could just be a sensor... O2 ones cause transmission qlitches in a lot of cars.

Ric
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5900746

Kimberly, so sorry to hear the job and vehicle woes. Wishing you good news in the near future :-)

Bonnie, you reminded me of souse, which is one of the few things I won't eat. Uuuugg...I had to help Dad make it one time as a teen, I think it scarred me, LOL. Scraping all that nastiness off the skull and grinding it was just too gross. I remember being sick and staying home from school the next day- my stomach still hadn't recovered the next morning!

Sue, LOL on the Clarice comment! Here's a good way to silence the lambs, hehehe. The bear I tried was quite lean, but it may have been the cut- I have no idea what part I was eating.

Chele, glad you heard from Lana. I'd like her email addy.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5900956

LOL glad you like the comment on Lambs. Ric to funny on your new name LOL
Neal hmmm my freind isn't always so smart on her bear meats LOL if she doesn't know somthing then she just bulls her way out of it. Most time i catch her and just say " oh really " let her believe what she wants LOLLLL
GW bummer on the car . Yeah i agree getting bad news at night just keeps me awake ack :P
yeah for Lana on her surgery good she is getting it.
not much here kids have a snow day , well or an ice day . I have to get my hair done . Yep i m going to drive the roads for my hair .LOL
take care
hugs
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5901188

Time for another new thread already!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933159/

Not trying to take over this task - I just have the time to do it now...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America