Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cee08
Raleigh, NC

December 10, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5878484

Hi! Thanks for all the great info! My son-in-law said I made the best apple pie he's ever eaten last Thanksgiving--2007. I couldn't remember what kind of apples I used! so, I mixed half and half Rome and Granny Apples this year. The pie tasted great, but the liquid runneth over! I added only sugar and cinnamon to the apples. I don't usually add flour to the mix, but I know some people do. Do you think that would have helped or was it the kinds of apples I used? I'll appreciate any help 'cause they want more pies for Christmas!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5878537

Some bakers add flour or tapioca and some do not. I actually DO add 2T of flour to the apple mixture before it goes in the crust. Then dot with butter before the top goes on. The Rome apple should be a dry apple that does well in the pie, so I'm not sure what is going on.

If you want to do a test pie, stick with the Granny Smith, but use the flavorful Gala or McIntosh instead of the Rome (both should be available in stores now). America's test kitchen suggests 3 Grannies to 4 McIntosh. They say that the mushiness of the McIntosh helps to soak up some of the juice as well as provide good partnership for the firm grannies.

Best of luck, let us know!

Cee08
Raleigh, NC

December 10, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5878657

Thank you Mrs_Ed for your very quick reply! I will do as you suggest and make a test pie. I don't want to disappoint my guests with bad pies! I've never had liquid in a pie like that before, so I was really stymied. Enjoy your holiday season, and I will get back to you.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5878742

You know, my husband ALWAYS suggests test pies! Now, I wonder why that is!!!

I used to put too many golden delicious in my pies and then there was just wayyyy too much liquid.
Cee08
Raleigh, NC

December 31, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5948593

Hi Mrs-Ed: As you suggested, I made a test pie with Galas and the Grannies. Everyone said it was delicious! But then they decided to have another apple pie the next week on Christmas was too much apple, so I made a pie using frozen wild blueberries and a pumpkin pie. The frozen wild blueberry pie was really enjoyed. The trick is to thaw the berries and strain them thoroughly and then use just 2 Tbsp of the juice. So easy and so great. I think making dough from scratch is a huge part of really great tasting pies. So many people are used to eating only pre-made pie crusts and are surprised when they eat the "real thing"! Thanks again for your help. C.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5948619

Great, glad it worked out. I know that conquering the crust was a huge hurdle for me. A local shop made pies with really delicious home made crust, but then the apples were canned! It was so odd… they did the hard part, but not the easy part!

My favorite pie is strawberry rhubarb. I really enjoy blackberry too, or a mixed berry. Oh and of course Pecan, pumpkin, apple. Okay, well mostly ALL of them! LOL.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Picking the Best Apples for Your Pie Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
wish I could get some Dutchlady1 3 Oct 21, 2008 7:56 PM
Northern spies Kathleen 6 Oct 21, 2008 2:47 PM
No Cortlands??? apurplefoxglove 1 Oct 27, 2008 1:45 PM
APPLES FOR PIE NancyRussell 4 Nov 7, 2012 5:57 PM
My favorite but hard to find Joeyfornow 9 Nov 6, 2012 6:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America