Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: More questions on dead bees

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 5, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pawny
San Leandro, CA

December 11, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5882433

My friend started a hive about a year ago last spring. Everything has been going well until the last three weeks. We now see a 'ton" of dead bees near the hive. He had moved the hive 4 weeks ago, moved it to a somewhat sunnier place maybe 6' from the original position. Everything looked fine.

I read in an earlier thread about "robber bees". If that is a possible answer, how can you tell a robber bee from the bees original to the hive?

Any help is much appreciated:-)
curzio
Kenosha, WI

December 11, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5882834

I'm new to this blog and have no idea of how many bee keepers respond to inquiries ... I'm also a beginner and live in a completely different climate ... therefore I'm not sure I can offer much advise. What kind of pollen do you have in California in December? If you have little or no pollen available, your hive should go into winter mode ... the queen lays almost no eggs ... the hive drops in size to about 10 -15,000 and it should be normal to find lots of dead bees. We are not inspecting hives October through March as the temperature is too low to open them. Here we have to wait April to see if the hive survived the winter. If we see bees fly out on a sunny spring day ... chances are the hive is OK. Do you see bees leaving the hive all winter long?
jajtiii
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5887251

I agree with curzio. If your hive is not prepping for 'hibernation', you could have any number of problems, including mites or another aggressive hive nearby.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5887828

Could also be starvation.Try lifting the back of the hive slightly.It should feel heavy.
pawny
San Leandro, CA

December 14, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5891576

Thanks everyone. I will try lifting the hive. We have looked at some of the dead bees and see no damage/mites.

It seems worse every day. Today there is maybe 3 bees a minute are going in/out of the hive, where as 2 weeks ago there were maybe 15 a minute.

We will keep watching.

One thought, this all started happening about a week after he checked on the hive and added a box. Could he possibly have accidentally crushed the queen? Would that cause this?
cheviothunter
Wellborn, FL

April 24, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6456795

I am suddenly finding dead bees in my garden. This has not happened before. Can you
tell me what might be the cause(s)? I find this rather disturbing. I do not use any
pesticides.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America