AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5891018

I am organizing a new quilt block with a JANUARY 10 deadline for signups. Mailing date is Feburary 10th, 2009. I am requesting that EACH participant leave feedback for EACH participant in the exchange. On time? followed the rules (100% cotton etc.)? You will EACH be responsible for keeping track of the blocks you have received so that you CAN leave feedback.

Also please note, we have been joined by one of our French members, Elen. We have made arrangements to ship Elen's blocks to Qwilter (with your block to Qwilter) Elen's blocks will be mailed all together to Qwilter and then be distributed out to the swap members. Please anticipate including at least $1 to offset the postage expense. AND realize it will take longer to get your blocks from Qwilter and Elen

Block Specifics: YOU choose the block pattern you are sewing, YOU list the colors you want YOUR blocks to be sewn in by the other members.

1. PLEASE make sure the fabric is 100% cotton and prewashed! If in doubt, don't use it.
2. Do not use any spray starch on blocks, spray sizing is OK.
3. A block should measure 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 when finished. (so that it will be 12 x 12 when sewn in quilt)
4. You will make ONE block for each participant, there will NOT be more than 12 participants.
5. Remember after you make a quilt we would love to see your results!!

Each of us are choosing the pattern that we will be doing, it is my hope that we can choice something within our ability level and not over-stress over the whole project. The purpose is to have fun!

Deadline for sign up is January 10th. Unless we have 12 people sign up before the deadline. When we reach 12, or the deadline January 10th, the swap will be CLOSED.

So ladies!! Confirm your interest and post your colors!

Each of you are responsible to choose your own pattern and make ONE block in the appropriate colors for EACH of the participants. Mail them directly to each of the swap members..

The deadline to have all blocks mailed to the swap members is Feburary 10th. Be sure you are listed in the address exchange.

We will accept Non-subscribers on a case by case basis. If you have participated before, and there were no problems, I am sure you'll be allowed in this one. I do NOT think its a good idea to post your name & address on the internet, PLEASE take care of addresses by d-mail.

Be sure to put your username and real name on the block that you send . You can pin it on or put a label on it, whichever works better for you.

Members of THIS swap and their colors:

1.Psychw2 - Red White and Blue
2. Ladydragon5 - stonewashed denim blue, white and yellow
3. BarefootT - Red White and Blue
4 knslwilliams - Barn Red, Dark Brown and Cream. (interesting colors Sheila!)
5. Lillyfan Red, off white & blue
6. Qwilter - blue, yellow and white
7KarenofArizon blue and yellow & a "3rd color" of your choice
8 Elen (from FRANCE~ Welcome!) red white and black
9 Quilter5bdsr -greens, soft yellows and creme http://www.quilterscache.com./T/TwistingStarBlock.html

A reminder that although it is not "necessary" it is very nice for each member to post a link to the block they are sewing when the time comes. One of the benefits of participating is increasing your skills AND your collection of patterns!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2009 2:27 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5891200

psychw2 - I knew you wouldn't be able to wait long before organizing the 1st swap for 2009!!!! I'm going to have to wait & see before jumping on board for this one.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5892090

Yes, I had really expected to do one in Nov & Dec but we have so many members that are not finished with the other swaps, AND I'm working more than full time so I postponed. Guess we'll see how many are interested. I decided against doing just "Black White & Red" or "Red White & Blue" and again let people choose their own colors.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5893814

I had been talking about doing a black and white block swap sometime after the first of the year since people were so busy with the Holidays but you beat me to it! I think I will sign up for this one and wait to post mine until January.
So count me in and I will let you know colors after I think about it for awhile.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5895024

Psychw2, I would love to be in on this one. Red, White, and Blue please...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5895062

I forgot to say I have completed all other swaps, that are due..

I do still have to do the Jan.. and Feb..for the 12 month swap, but all past blocks were done on time...And I am also in the flower pot holder swap, that is not due till end of Feb. and I do not anticipate any problem with that.

I do have Christmas presents to complete, but they will be done before this swap is due, so again I do not anticipate any problems with that...

Just wanted you to know I am up to date..!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #5895383

DANG Thunder, YOU are an over-achiever!! hehehe, nice to have you join us!
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

December 16, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5895917

I'd like to join too. I finished both my other swaps on time. I would like White, purple and turquoise.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #5896942

Welcome Quelgian, I hope all of you are checking the FIRST post above for updates on members and colors. Anyone not seeing their name above should bring it to my attention. I likely will be trying to update this "not daily" for a while since we have plenty of time and I'll be out of town for a bit off & on.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

December 16, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5897968

This will be my first time joining a swap with you gals. This one seems simple enough. Would you let me come and play??? Please, Please, Please

If so, I would like Barn Red, Dark Brown and Cream.

Sheila
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5898540

Jump on in, the water is fine! These are great gals and their blocks are well worth receiving. I'm fairly new myself and I look forward to seeing what they will come up this this time. I like the idea of picking my own block since i can gauge it to my sewing level with maybe a bit of a stretch from time too time.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

December 17, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5901067

Thank you Thank you Thank you-

I am "sew" excited, BUT...

Now I am questioning my color selection. Did I do something wrong? I thought that they would look good together and sorta match my living room. Was thinking about making a sampler quilt/lap throw. If the colors are not up to snuff for this swap, please let me know.

Thanks again for letting me in-

Sheila
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5901194

Ok, I'm in! Well...that is if you'll have me.

I believe I am current on my swaps, so I am ok there.

Colors: Red, Off White (cream), & Blue

now to find a pattern...

1 more thing, I don't know how to leave feedback, where and what are we talking about?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5901626

knlswilliams, its not too late to change your colors but you are welcome to have any color combination you desire! That's the beauty of this kind of swap. Everybody picks the colors THEY want to receive and sews a block within their own skills level.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5902568

quelgian - the only hard part about making a block for you is making sure I don't use fabrics I've already used in other blocks I've done for you. Those are colors I've been collecting to make a quilt for my bed. One of these days!!!!

OK, I'm in. I'll be on vacation for a bit in Jan, but will have time to get these made.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5902890

aaaaaaaaaa... why would it matter if you used the same fabric as you used before??
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5903486

I guess it really wouldn't but...
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

December 18, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5905440

As long as it's not the same pattern and same fabric.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5905532

very true
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5929491

Hi psychw2 add me in for this one. I am working more hours, but don't see why I can't do this for my fun time.

I was so impressed with the black and white with a little bit of red, that that is what I would like to have for my colors. Will let you know on the block that I am going to sew in a few days. I will have to put my thinking cap on and come up with one.

Thanks so much for doing another swap for us swap junkies.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5930074

Hi again psychw2 I would like to change my colors for this swap from the black and white to blue and yellow with a third color put in by the block maker.. Hope this is not going to be a problem.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5930120

Darn Karen, I was just pulling some fabrics together and thinking about a blue, yellow, & "something" quilt. I've somehow amassed quite a collection of blues - and I don't normally use blue.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5933291

I have LOTS of blue and yellows! I made a jean quilt with yellow and blue denim appliqued with yellow/blue prints on random blocks. I don't have any pictures of it, it was a gift to my son & DDIL last year for Christmas.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5934042

well psychw2...you just need to get them to email you a pic so you can post it...we wannna seeeeee!!!!!!!!
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5934226

Qwilter, it has been a long time since I did a blue and yellow quilt and it was all blue and yellow and it was raffled off and the money went to St. Jude Childrens Hospital.

So thought it was time to do blue and yellow again with a third color just thought it would be very interesting to have each person add the third color.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5934268

I'm so glad I let you all choose before me as you give me such good ideas. As I have said, I never saw a color I didn't like, so choosing just 2-3 is hard. But this idea of having a stonewashed denium blue, yellow and white appealls to me very much. Put that down as my choices.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5935600

All - anyone looking for a GREAT sale on fabrics????

go here: http://zandsfabrics.com/default.asp

We've added hundred of fabrics to our $3.59 clearance section.
All Rowan fabrics are now $5.99! All Free Spirit fabrics are now $5.99 There are so many price reductions, they are just too numerous to mention...
Stop by Z&S Fabrics and find your next project.
Again, thank you for sharing a wonderful year with us.

These are all 1st quality, name brand fabrics. And the 2 ladies who run the site are wonderful.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5939696

Pat, I'm the stonewashed denim blue, white and yellow, too. That sounded so pretty and full of Spring.

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #5955172

I am not really sure what I am doing here, but I think I would like to sign up so I can get in before it is full. LOL

Psyche is going to get back with me with all the details and maybe I can figure it out and get it done.

I will have to unbury my sewing machine, but I have been wanting to do that for awhile.

Susan
=^..^=
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #5955886

Just realized I never gave that 3rd color. How about white.
The fabric I have that started this has lemons, blue swirly things and a white background.

I've spent the last 3 days cutting out the pieces for my king size quilt. Took me @5 years to collect the @50 pieces fabric. According to the pattern I'm "sort of" following I'll need @230 blocks. Each block has 12 pieces and finishes 6". It's done in turquoise, purple, and mauves. I hope to start sewing this afternoon since it is to be a cold & dreary day.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #5955961

Jean you have really taken on a project! but with your sewing skills I'm sure it will be beautiful. 230 blocks with 12 pieces is too much work for me, but I envy those who have a long attention span than I do.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #5955972

I don't plan on "finishing" it any time soon!!!! My goal is to have it ready to toss on the bed come fall (and notice I'm not saying which year).
I did open my quilting machine to it's full 12' in anticiparion of quilting it.

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #5957472

I hate to do this before I even start, but I need to withdraw. I just don't have my stuff in order to even begin to do this.

I thought maybe this would kick start me into cleaning this up, but there is just too much in the way right now.

I hope there will be more of these and I can do one then.

Susan
=^..^=

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #5957534

Life happens Kitty / Susan and we'll be happy to have you join us on another one, some other month!
Elen
Paris
France

January 3, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #5960053

I should be interested to sign up with this SWAP but only if all of the participants are agree with this french exchange. It'll be a new experience for me and my first SWAP.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #5960289

Just speaking for me, I would love to know that one of my blocks was in a quilt used by someone in France. And think of the different fabrics you have access to. Mail time will be longer for you, though.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #5960298

I too think it would be great!!!! Perhaps a bulk mailing would be less expensive.
Psychw2, if you have too much going on, I'd gladly be the "exchange/mailing" point. Let me know.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #5960439

I'm in with Elen particpating...will love to have a real French block in my quilt and like Ladydragon5 said it will be wonderful knowing I have a block in a quilt in France.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #5960865

Qwilter, if you don't mind facilitating the exchange that would be great. I'd be happy to kick in an extra $1 to help with shipping. We would all have to mail Elen's block to Qwilter when we mail hers so she could ship all of Elen's to her.

ALL MEMBERS - Feel free to contact me by dmail if you are not comfortable discussing this in open forum. I don't want anyone to feel pressured to accept this proposal.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #5960986

I would be more than happy to have elan join us, and would also be willing to chip in for postage!!
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #5961512

I am okay with elan joining us and I feel like pitching in a dollar for shipping is a okay also.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #5961580

I think I can figure out what shipping will be. I'll just put 12 blocks in an envelope and take them to the PO next week and ask what it would cost to mail to France. It's a small town PO and they all know me. It will give them 1 more thing to scratch their heads over!!!!

So then Elen, you would mail all blocks to me, label them, and I'll distribute them out on this side of the Atlantic.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #5961692

qwilter, thanks for volunteering on distribution of blocks to and from elen, and thanks for the link to zands sale! not that i need to be spending any money!!!! LOL butttttt i found some fantastic fabric for my january block quilt, which is going to be surprise for DH. found some nifty black and white! and found something perfect for baby quilt, for first grandbaby !!! Yup yup #1S and DDIL gave me a lovely Christmas Present...told me I am gonna be a grandmother!!!! Yippeeeeeeee!!!! ;-} ;-} ;-}
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #5962469

Qwilter, thanks for taking care of mailing to elen and then mailing to us after you receive them from her.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 4, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #5962491

Elen-

I think it would be great to have you join our swap.

Quilter-

thanks for coordinating the mailing and Just let me know what my extra cost to mail is and I would be happy to include it.

Just so happy to be involved in this swap as it is my first one. Now off to pick a block as I didn't get it done earlier due to Christmas celebrations.

Sheila
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

January 4, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #5963387

I'm sorry to do it, but I need to withdraw as well. I've been trying to avoid it but I'm nowhere near prepared at home. Since Christmas things have been insane both at home and work.

Maybe later in the spring I can join in again.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #5966322

Thanks, Jean, for taking on the exchanging of the blocks to Elen.
Just think, we have two newbies with us; one in her first swap and one from across the sea! Who says this sapping isn't fun!
Welcome, both of you.
Elen
Paris
France

January 5, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #5968785

Thanks all. I'm waiting your final decision. Just promise me nobody withdraw because of me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #5971081

You are in Elen, now tell me your colors!
Elen
Paris
France

January 6, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #5972463

I really fell in love with 2pugdogs quilt so without any hesitation I give you my colors : red, white and black.

Elen
Paris
France

January 7, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #5976275

I just realise that I can't use my french patterns for this swap ( because of measures) so could you give me some links where I could find some 12 1/2" patterns ? Thanks
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #5976303

Elen:

here are a couple popular links:

http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/QuiltCategories/FreeQuiltBlocks.htm
http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html (you might want to turn your volume down!)

Let us know if you need anything else.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #5976351

If you got to other threads in the sewing that are swaps, you will see we have posted the links for our patterns. MANY of us use the quiltercache.com. If you look there, you will have more choices for patterns than you could ever make in one lifetime!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #5988408

I just want to put a word of caution out to folks shopping at a "non" quilt fabric shop that not all the fabrics you see in the "quilting" section are always 100% cotton. They don't know any better and will put blends in with the 100% cottons. My local JoAnn's has an entire section of solids, in the quilting section, that are a 50/50 blend. So, check the label before buying the fabrics.

It's cold & dreary here and I've already warmed up the machine.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #5988524

Thank you for the warning. I was shopping aat JoAnn's yesterday and didn't pay any attention. I picked up all the fabric for all of my swaps and now am ready to go. Put everything in the wash last night and spent the evening taking them apart where the frayed ends had tangled in the dryer. What a mess! But I think I have some pretty combinations for everyone.
Must finish the T-shirt quilts before I play with my blocks so I have that on the list for this weekend. Somehow I love making blocks but hate finishing quilts! Who knew?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #5988602

Ya, my friends call me the "block collector", I'm not a QUILTER! hehehe

There is a shelter her that needs some twin size quilts so I'm going to get some of these blocks made into quilts and donated.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #5988645

Good for you psychw2. A fellow quilter brough me a bag full of RWB fabrics yesterday so I can make QOVs. Now I have no excuse not to.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #5988657

My quilt store here has a big event on New Year's Day. All the ladies come and work on quilts for the local shelters. You bring in leftover material beforehand to use for backing and stripping. There is always work to do, no matter the skill level and they have been known to do 20+ quilts on just that day! For us non-football people that is a great way to spend the day.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #5988750

Oh THAT is soooooooo cool! I would love to practipate in that! Its hard here, my available space is so limited.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6003853

Is this swap closed now? If not, I would love to try it.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6005830

I bet if you bribe pswchw2 with fabric she might let you in!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6006095

Quilterbdsr, IF you have read the instructions, understand the deadlines and abide by the rules, I don't have a problem with it. PLEASE make and send Elen & "Quilter" their blocks asap since Quilter will need to COLLECT all of ours and mail them out to Elen. Also please give me your color preferences. Thanks and welcome.

IS EVERYONE CLEAR TO MAIL ELEN'S BLOCK TO QUILTER, SHE WILL FORWARD ALL THE BLOCK ON AT ONE TIME. ELEN WILL MAIL HER BLOCKS (FOR ALL OF US) DIRECT TO QUILTER, QUILTER WILL DISTRIBUTE THEM TO US WITH HER BLOCK TO US!!!

Sorry to "shout" but I want every body to take notice of the instructions. Please note we will need to help with the additional mailing expense.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6008884

psychw2

You shout as loud and long as you need to. And don't worry about extra money, I had already planned to include some money for Qwilter when I sent her the two blocks.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6010346

Hello everyone,
The colors I would love are greens, soft yellows and cream. The block I would like to make is at www.quilterscache.com and is called Twisting Star. If this isn't going to fit in please let me know.
Thanks
Barb

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6010666

It is WONDERFUL! I have been looking for something like that block in a pieced pattern, NOT paper pieced! I'm excited to see it made up. Welcome Barb, nice to have you join us.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 16, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6011993

I am hoping that this will work for this swap. I think it is very pretty. Let me know if this is okay as I am going to try and get a few of these dome over the weekend.

http://www.quilterscache.com/E/EyesofMarchBlock.html

Sheila
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6012001

knslwilliams - wow you are ambitious!!!! Lovely block and since I avoid paper piecing I will be happy with a block done in that manner.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 16, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6012166

oh my gosh I love paper piecing. I had a hard time with it until i learned how to put the fabric on the paper. Since then it is...sew on the line, trim seam and press.

I am making a quilt for my daughter's bed and have got each block down to about 5 minutes. I have never tried anything but paper piecing, so may have problems with regular piecing when i get to that.

Sheila
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6012440

Wow, Sheila and Barbara, you are both using very beautiful and difficul blocks. I am anxious to see what they look like in my colors. This is going to be a wonderful quilt and THIS TIME it is for me, me, me!
Elen
Paris
France

January 16, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6012966

I would know if one of the participants could give me her msn, skype or emansip adress. It would be easier for me to contact her quickly if I need some instructions or a little help. How can I give you my adress ?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6013412

Elen- I dmailed you my info. Let me know if you need anything else.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6026238

Have all of my fabrics picked for each block and have washed, dried and ironed them all. Now have to make a couple of sample blocks to decide which block I am going to do.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6027701

A number of you have indicated you want red, white and blue in your blocks. Could you tell me if you are planning on something patriotic or just using those colors? I have neat fabric in both designs and will be glad to give you whatever will go with the quilt you want to make.
Thanks for the update.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6027776

either is ok, as RWB are patriotic colors when they are together (my HO)
Elen
Paris
France

January 20, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6028581

I'm afraid not always be ok with your languages subtleties. Please tell me if this term "off wthite and blue" (lillyfan's colors) is something special or if it's simple white and blue...the word "off" makes me hesitant.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6028603

Elen,
It is not a pristine clean white, think cream colored, but white will be fine if you don't have a cream.

Elen
Paris
France

January 20, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6028695

ok Llilyfan thank you

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6029253

Yes, my RWB combination will ultimately be worked into a patriotic quilt. I do not necessarily "use" patriotic fabric but I am fine with getting some of it in my block!

Elen, thanks for asking for clarification. Anytime we use a term or expression that is not clear, please ask.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6029343

any red white, and blue is fine for me, patriotic designs, or not...pure white, or "off" white, either way fine also, I've got a new grand-baby on the way and daddy is a soldier, so these blocks may end up being a baby quilt !!??!! don't know yet.

quilter5, I am not in address exchange so I will d-mail you with my info, you will need to d-mail me with yours. thanks...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6045036

A reminder, please mail Elen & Qwilter's block together to Qwilter as soon as possible so the "trip to France" won't be delayed too much. (slinking off to make their blocks now... hehehe)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6045168

Qwuilter and Elen's blocks were mailed today. Psychw2 and knslwilliams will go on Monday and more if I get some time this weekend. Hope you like them---

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6045204

Can't wait to see them! Right now I need to fix breakfast for my Sweetie. We get so little time together between his schedule and mine.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6045972

I'm back from chilly FL and will hopefully pick a pattern & fabrics tomorrow. Nothing like procrastination!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6046729

I have been working on these blocks, part of yesterday, and much of today. qwilters, and elens will go out in mail Tues. the rest shortly there after. this is the block I finally decided on...http://www.quilterscache.com/C/Chimneys&CornerstonesBlock.html

I am very happy with how they are coming out in everyones color choices.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6049473

I am behind since I am in St.louis celebrating my Dad's 101 birthday. Probably wont get to the blocks until next Friday but will work on the one for France first. Glad to see you are all hard at work!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6049496

WOW!!!! 101 - FANTASTIC. you must have some good genes. My Mom is 91 and going strong.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6049509

Yes and he is active as ever; sang in a quartest at two different services today; one the main service and the other at the Health Center. Image him singing for the "kids' in their 80's who don't have as agood genes?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6049659

WOW... that is great! My hope is that I will die while still active. If that means dying YOUNGER, that is ok. I don't want lingering health issues and pain.

I cut out blocks today. Only a few but some!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6049720

Thoughts and Prayers requested for knswilliams.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6050158

She has them ... Prayer works!!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6051751

I just finished Qwilter and Elen's blocks and will put them in the mail on my way to work tomorrow.

The block I chose is 'Solomon's Star' a lttle harder than I had anticipated...

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SolomonsStarBlock.html

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6051812

VERY nice... you'll make me feel bad! Mine is not as complicated as that!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
10:48 AM

Post #6052224

Very nice. I still haven't decided on a pattern!!!!!
I will mail these off as soon as I have all of them.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6055615

Qwilter, barefoot T and knslwilliams your blocks were mailed this morning. Hope you like them----
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6056933

Well qwilter, I lied...I misread the work schedule and when they called to ask me if I was coming to work...well, I didn't make it to the PO. They go in the mail today(I double checked the schedule)!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6056987

All of the blocks will be out today, please let me know what you think when you get them.
I am very pleased with my color choices on this, hope they work well for all of you ;-}
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6057105

I have to admit I haven't started mine. I have been out of town visiting my Dad for his 101st birthday and am late getting to these blocks. But this weekend is marked on the calendar and I will work on them then. I have all the fabric just need to cut and sew.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6058658

If we get a snow day tomorrow I'll start mine. If not, they are on the agenda for this weekend. Actually, I only need to have Elen's done right away!!!!!
Elen
Paris
France

January 27, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6059033

I have made 4 blocks and my chose is the card basket block. Hope you won't be disappointed with my work.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6059044

The deadline is Feb 10th, there is still time to get them done ON TIME. I know you are all getting to it as quickly as possible.

I just got Quilter5bdsr's block and it is SPECTACULAR! Such a wonderful job of sewing, the pattern is awesome, the color combination wonderful. Thank you so much! I'll be leaving feedback! I would encourage everything to leave feedback so there is SOMETHING to judge future swap participation on.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6059669

I have finally decided on my block and started cutting and sewing today. I am doing a block called Kings Cross. I found it in my 1000 quilt block book and then I drafted it to 12 1/2" size in my EQ5 program.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6060252

WOW... it would be grand to have a computer program!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6061031

qwilter, I totally forgot to add postage $ with the blocks, so I will do your black and white block today after work, and send $out with it. sorry...I'm the queen of the local C.R.S. club you know...LOL ;-}

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
11:32 AM

Post #6061046

Qwilter, I too totally forgot about extra postage. I'm sorry. Watch the mail!! It will be on it's way tomorrow.
Barb
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6061240

At least you guys remembered to make blocks!!!! Perhaps I should go decide on a pattern this AM. We are under an ice delay so I won't be headig out to work till later, if at all!!!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6061249

There does seem to be something going around...I'm sending the money today, forgot to include it yesterday with the blocks also.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 28, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6061363

hey guys i will be starting on these blocks today and hope to get them mostly finished. We have been at the hospital with DH's father and he is still in critical condition. Have a day home today and want to get these finished in case something should change and require me to be away from home more.

Sheila

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6061933

Don't worry about mine - be where you need to be when you need to be there. I'm not going to be concerned about it.
Prayers to you
Barb
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6062198

Me too. Although you may want the sewing to help with the stress of what you are dealing with. Take you time an ddo what you have to when it seems the right time. Good thoughts and luck.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6064676

mine can wait too...no worries...

I received block from quilter5bdsr, and I agree with everything psychw2 said above.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6064933

Yes, quilter5, the block is very well done. The colors are perfect. I can't wait for more blocks to start showing up!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6065903

llilyfan and karenofarizona - I'm mailing your blocks today. Hope you like them -
Barb
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6066013

Yippee! Can't wait to see my block!!!!! Now I can pester my mailman for a few days!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009

Post #6067177

The blocks are on the way - I just left the PO.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6067203

KarenofAZ - I was reading back on the thread and noticed your block is called King's Cross. I can't wait to see it as that is my maiden name!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6067398

Boy was I glad to see the mailing date on this one was Feb. 10! I thought it was the end of January and I hate being late! Will work on them this weekend and hope to mail next week but I was afraid I was going to go over the line. Red & white & blue, Oh, boy!!!!
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 29, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6067743

Quilter5bdsr -

Just got the block you made me in the mail. It is beautiful. This is the first swap i have ever participated in and i can say i am now addicted!

Sheila

P.S. Please excuse the stuck space bar! LOL

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6067921

Glad you liked it -I'm addicted too.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6067962

llilyfan - beautiful blocks!!!!!! I really must get tot he sewing machine tomorrow afternoon!!!!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6068876

So happy you liked them, now I just hope Elen likes hers.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6070878

ladydragon5 - your block is on it's way. Psychw2 - I've mailed all of my blocks!!! I'm
so looking forward to receiving some. Can't wait.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6070919

Well, it is a lovely sunny day here in MD. I was going to work on quilt blocks this AM but was preempted with a call from work. Seems they NEED me to go TDY to lovely San Angelo, TX in early March. Hopefully all the blocks will be in to me and back out by then. If not, I'll make sure and leave instructions for DH. He did "good" last time I was away and he had to mail things out.

So the morning has been spent doing some coordinating and making reservations. I've done all I can for now. Will make the plane reservations once I get to chat with the guy I'll be traveling with. Just yesterday I was joking with him that he needed to get a cowboy hat & boots for the trip. Luckily, I do have both in case I want to look loke a Texan.

The TV repair guy is do here in @ 1 hour. Perhaps that gives me time to at least decide on a block.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6071080

barefootT - I just got your block and I am thrilled!!!!!!!!! The colors are just what I wanted. And what a great job you did matching seams. And it's my very first item ever received in a swap. Thank you you so much. I LOVE it. Barb
PS Does this pattern have a name?
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 30, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6071109

Okay guys since this is my first swap, I am a little slow about the rules. I am doing a paper piecing and was wondering if it is customary to leave the paper on the block or do I need to remove it? I know that i like to have the paper on the block for adding sashings and joining other blocks, but i also know that some hate to have to tear away the paper so...

If you could let me know the custom or if each of you would like to chime in as to whether you would like paper on or paper off.

Thanks-

Sheila

P.S. got Elen's block done and am on working on quilter's block to get those in the mail asap.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6071146

Leave mine on please. Looking forward to it. Barb
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6071313

I really don't care one way or the other.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6071325

Having never done paper piecing (that is my problem with this new block for the black and white), I really don't care.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009

Post #6072152

:-) Who knows??? hehe, I've never done paper piecing so however it comes will be fine!

Sooooo did everybody understand how important it is to get Qwilter's block & Elen's mailed out to Qwilter? She will be headed out of town and will want to get this all set in motion/done if possible! I'll be getting my blocks out to these two ladies tomorrow and the other blocks will S-L-O-W-L-Y follow BUT before the deadline!!!

Elen, how are you doing on getting the blocks done? (No pressure, right? LOL)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6072175

I got another lovely block today from Thunder. Wish I didn't have all the other projects ahead of getting this one together!!!! I should be able to devote most of tomorrow to piecing.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 30, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6072219

I have Elen's block done and am half way dome with Qwilters should be in the mail tommorrow. I am like psychw2 the rest will follow slowly but on time. LOL

Sheila

knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

January 30, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6072247

Okay had to go check the mail and i just got another block. Barefoot T the block is beautiful. What pattern is that???

I would just like to say thank you all for allowing me to join and i hope my blocks are half this good.

Sheila
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6072297

Sheila - I have faith in you. You can do it!!!!! Barefoot always has perfect corners!!!!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6072455

Perfect corners...something I strive to attain, but have yet to master!

Paper on is fine with me, heck, I don't know any better either since I have yet to paperpiece myself ^_^
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6072711

Thanks Thunder, the colors are just right. I threw you all a curve with the stone-washed blue; didn't think it would be that hard to figure out but it was.
Love the block and, as usual, beautiful work! I strive to catch up ...
Elen's this weekend, promise.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6072779

LOL, dragon, I actually have a couple of blue prints that are part of the "denim blue" collection! I am LOVING the way they are coming together.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6072874

Wowo, dawggies; am I a happy camper!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6072942

awwwww shucks guys...you gonna give me a big head!!!!

Thanks for the compliments, and I am very glad you are liking my colors.

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/Chimneys&CornerstonesBlock.html

this is the block, I tried to link it in before, but it did not work?
here is picture of quilter5 block...so glad I got to be your first ;-} !!

Ladydragon, the thing with blues,... and greens, and reds, there are just sooo many its hard to decide on one!

knslwilliams, paper on paper off..whatever..

Thumbnail by barefootT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6073060

Wonderful block!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6073084

here is the one I did for ladydragon5.

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6073096

thanks Llily you should be getting yours, they all went out at the same time, I think you will be pleased. this one was for qwilter.

Thumbnail by barefootT

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6073107

Oooooooooooo I especially liked the blue in Dragon's block!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6073135

this is the one for knslwilliams

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6073143

It took some thinkin to decide what she would consider to be stonewashed denim,so glad it worked!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6073270

Now I'm really excited...it should come in tomorrow's mail (I hope)!

I don't think I got Ldragon's blues quite right, but I really like the finished block so I'm sending it and hoping it will be OK.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6073540

I found what I think is a very nice print (NOT farm print) in the dark red that I HOPE knsl will like. A friend had some dark red that was perfect with it.
Elen
Paris
France

January 31, 2009
9:11 AM

Post #6073864

Waouhhhhh !! I'm excited too... Just have 4 blocks finished ! The first were made very slowly because I was a little in trouble with the inch ruler (1/4",1/2",7/8"...) hmm now I've got it. It's the first time I make a block with english informations...hope the result will be suitable.

I try to finish all the blocks quickly as it's possible ...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6073970

Isn't this fun? I'm so glad you joined us Elen!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6073976

Good Morning all!!!

Well, I've decided on a pattern!!!! That's half the battle. Now to scrounge through my stash for fabrics. Plan to sew while the laundry is going.

Just spotted my US quilt shop directory sitting on the shelf. I need to see where the shops are in TX!!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6074345

thunder your seams are so perfect. I wish mine where!
I cut out Elen and a few others last night. I love the black, white and red but you all know that is my favorite anyway. I can't wait to sew it together today.

Ladies, ladies, why have you not told me before? It wasn't until I measured Thunder's block (thought it looked a little big) that I realized that I should have been making these things 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" to send. That way when you put them in a quilt with the seam they will finish at 12x12. DUH!!! I have been sending them to you as 12x12. Were you all too polite to tell me I was being a dummy? Well, next time I goof, tell it like it is. I'm a big girl now.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009

Post #6074380

Sashing is a wonderful thing so don't worry about it dragon. That's how we all learn. And you definitly are NOT a dummy!!! Looking forward to my block. Barb
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6075009

Thunder thank you for the block will post a picture of it in a couple of days.

I have some of my blocks done and hope to finish some more on Tuesday.

I have Qwilters done and Elen is cut ready to sew but will not get to it until Tuesday.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6076137

ladydragon5, your blocks could not have been for off, because I did not even notice a difference in size, when stacking them with other blocks. and thanks again for the compliments...I don't see my seems as perfect, but I do think they are pretty good, most of the time...I've been at this for lots of years, and I sew almost every day!!

practice makes perfect! ;-} just take your time, and remember it's for fun and relaxation...do not stress over it!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6076918

Thunder (Barefoot), I got the block today and it was your usual BEAUTIFUL job! I wish I could sew that precise, you do such a consistently nice job. You are right, it POPS!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6076968

here is the block I did for karen

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6077000

I can't show you psychw2's yet because it's to close to llily's, and I want to wait till it gets to her mail. don't want to spoil the surprise factor...

should be there soon llily ;-}
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #6077401

Just got home from a full day 'in the city' and the block from Thunder was in the mailbox.

It is wonderful, seeing all their blocks, I was trying to picture mine. Perfect!

edit to make sense of that last sentence, I was TIRED!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 8:08 AM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6077837

so here is llily's block...

the one I did for psychw2 is the same, except white, not off white. mine also is red, white and blue!

Thumbnail by barefootT

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6078038

Love the red, white ane blue. The pattern just pops!

I sewed all night last night on the one for Elen. I love the fabric; the pattern didn't look difficult, but I just couldn't get those darn triangle to look right. since they meet in the middle they have to look good. Finally got it as good as I want, but it means that I wont be doing my second passion today. Was supposed to go to the movies with friends but I really want to get these blocks done; at least Quilters and Elen to mail tomorrow.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6078065

Anyone ready for a Spring block swap? Thought I'd give psychw2 a break!!!

Go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948211/
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6085168

Thanks Barbara for the block, received it in the mail today. Will post a picture later, Have to take off to Monday night quilters right now.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6087223

Finished mine and they are ready to mail. I found the pattern got easier the more I did. Now I can try something else. Stretching my comfort zone a little at a time.

Some of you are far better quilters than I am and I have always found that it helps to work with those who are accomplished so that I can learn. I would appreciate knowing when my sewing could be better and tips any of you might have to make it better. I know we all try to be only complimentary on these threads and that is encouraging, however, I have always been one to seek out constructive criticism so I can learn. If you would feel more comfortable sharing this with me in a D-Mail, please do so. You will find I have a very thick skin. Thanks for helping me grow!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6088955

That's a really good idea Dragon.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6090120

Oh, Barb, that Twisting Star is wonderful. I really like the pattern and can already see it in other color combinations I love. You have got to tell me how you did it! Your seams are beautiful, it lays so nicely, the whole effect is just perfect. THAT is what I wish my blocks looked like and am striving to get.

P.S. I love the colors, too. Thanks for a great block!

So glad you join us and keep coming back. I can learn so much from you.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6090237

I'm so glad you liked it. It was a challenge at first but easier as it went along. I'm looking forward to the spring swap.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6092549

I received block from psychw2 ! colors are dynamite, gotta love that red, white and blue.
thanks for the other stuff too...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6093241

psychw2 - great job on the blocks!!!!

barefoot, is it you that wants the small pieces?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6093256

yes it is !!!! and thanks in advace
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6093265

OK, I couldn't remember. I have a pile of various pieces!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6093498

thunder... ask and yea shall receive! I'm saving more for you. Since I mde you the first block (so I could mail all that other stuff), I didn't have much to pass on this time but the mini stash of tiny pieces is growing!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6093571

barefoot - I have some too. I'll send with Spring block okay?
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6096013

Spring blocks went in the mail yesterday and shuold be arriving soon. I loved the pattern and how it turned out but I am not as proud of the sewing. After seeing the backs of some of you blocks I know mine don't look anywhere near that good. I had no idea how hard it was going to be to made 8 triangles meet in the middle correctly! some h elp on how the seams could be flatter would be appreciated.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6096020

P.S. I did, however, find a 1/4" foot in my sewing machine drawer. Don't know if it came with the machine or I ordered it long, long ago. I was cleaning out the little box and low and behold, there it was. Boy, did that make seams and measuring much easier. Wouldn't even known what it was if you all hadn't turned me on to it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6096030

When I have seams meeting in the middle like that I try to press open all the seams going there. Or try pressing all the seams going in the same direction such as clockwise or counterclockwise. See if that helps.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 5, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6096463

Hey guys I have to apologize. I think my last post i said I was going to get qwilter and Elen's block in the mail and life got in the way and I did not get it done. I am finishing Qwilter's block today and should have them in the mail today or tomorrow. I hope that I am not holding anyone up.

Sheila
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009

Post #6098253

8 seams meeting in the middle. Press them open. And I sew to 1 thread short of the middle stop, and then do the same on the other side.
And pin.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
6:30 AM

Post #6100329

This is the block I received from Quilter5bdsr. I'm speechless...

Thumbnail by llilyfan

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6100514

Yes, Quilter5 does AWESOME work! I'm eager to try that block myself, it is stunning!
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 6, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6102391

Okay, Qwilter and Elen's blocks are in the mail. I hope they are satisfactory. I cannot load pics because I can't find the darn camera cord. Will keep looking and hope that Qwilter or Elen can upload the pics

Sheila

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6103036

for those of you that don't know...I am trying to do a charm quilt, with 1.5" squares...Yes I am crazy...but I just hate to throw away fabric...so if you have any scraps you wish to include when you send blocks...just the scraps, I will cut them,No problem...Thanks in advance ;-}

ladydragon...did you mean winter blocks went in the mail???

I got another Beautiful Red, White, and Blue block today from Llilyfan...talk about perfect seams...!! WOW what a block !!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6103232

Well ladies, I've just had the second day from H_ _ _! Finally think I got that darn printer installed, used up my entire day off, and a lot of my saline solution...well at least my eyes are well washed. Was able to print out the directions for the block I am thinking about doing for the B&W swap. I will do a test block on this one before I decide!

I was able to finish the 2nd to last block on this swap (only have mine left) and they will go in the mail tomorrow if nothing else goes wrong.

Thunder, thank you for the praise, just don't look too close LOL!!!!

Qwilter, I used the 'press open the seams' advice on my last block (only in the center where a bunch of seams met) and boy did it ever make a difference. I had always been told to press to one side or the other least the batting migrates its way out between the stiches.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6103589

Yes, Susan, I thought the same thing about seams but I have noticed that the blocks I get that look the best, both back and front, have the seams pressed open. I used it on the test black and white where I have another 8 seams meeting at the center, and it worked like a charm. Thanks Jean for the advice.

Yes, I sent the Winter blocks out on Wednesday afternoon, so you all should be getting them soon. Duh! Who else would choose two patterns in a row that have 8 triangle or diamonds meeting at the center. Only me!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6103677

Brave woman!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6103703

Bravery is sometimes just a lack of enough brains to know what you are getting into. But as soon as I saw this pattern I knew I wanted to do it in black and white.
We'll see what happens when I do it with fabric that has patterns and not just solid color.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6104235

Ok, Ladies, today is the 6th. Is everybody drawing close to shipping out the remainder of the blocks on the 10th, the shipping deadline?

I'm finishing up the sewing on the Winter blocks and the Black& White swap so I can ship both blocks at the same time (since so many of us were gutton for punishment and signed up for BOTH!)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6104387

As soon as I have all the blocks, I'll get them out to Elen.
I got the majority of the paperwork together for the main part of our taxes this evening. I still need to tally up the charitable deductions and do the business numbers. Hopefully I can really concentrate on getting blocks done tomorrow.

Now I'm calling it an early nite. I worked 12 hours overtime this week and I'm just worn out. Not as young as I used to be!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #6105055

I've chosen a pattern!!!!! It's actually one I designed for a BoM I did a couple years ago.
And I'm off to watch F&P and then hit the sewing machine.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6105867

I think I missed posting that I got a very BEAUTIFUL block from quilter5, I actually got it at the end of Jan. just can't imagine how I did not post????

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6105888

and from psychw2, always wonderful blocks

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6105892

and this is the one from llily, wow!

This message was edited Feb 7, 2009 10:46 AM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6105910

forgot the pic silly me, I tried to edit to put it in but that did not work so here it is...

Thumbnail by barefootT

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6105912

Love them both! The rwb looks so crisp and the patterns for both of those blocks is just stunning.

All those triangles! Boy were they a glutton for punishment. Can't wait to see mine.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2009 10:51 AM
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6105939

That coming from the lady who is doing both triangles and DIAMONDS!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6106024

LOLO yes, that dumb grey haired lady is me.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6106244

BarefootT, our RWB blocks are really looking GOOD together! That's what I love about that color combination, hard to get the "wrong look" when you put it all together. I worry about some of the other color combinations - "did I get the green they wanted? I hope what I chose coordinates with the others..." They of course I have a tendency (obcession?) with using ALL prints and I notice many of the members stick with mini-tone on tone prints and I worry if my stuff is "too busy" for some people's taste...

I got Lilly's in the mail yesterday and it is beautiful, thanks for posting a pic BarefootT. I feel guilty that I can't post pics! I wish I could so I could share you all the beautiful blocks I get!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6106350

Pat, we used a very similar block pattern, I agree they will all look great together. I am in the same boat you are riding in...I tend to use all prints, I do try to go with a multi range print in the color selections hoping they will blend with what others have chosen.

Sorry to have made your block exactly the am as Thunder's but i really liked it and am doing the same for me except the white will be off white.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6106436

Lilly, never a apologize for making two SPECTACULAR blocks the same!

Lilly, I didn't make your block the same as BarefootT's because that fabric star print center of her block did NOT look good combined with off-white. I have just 2 more blocks to finish and I'll have all of these done & the B & W swap. My plan was to save money by mailing them together.

I've used variations of the same block for everybody. I changed out the center, some were a solid piece, others I made different depending on the fabric I had in their color choices etc.

I experimented with the flying geese method and the quick sew/ split block. It kills me to "waste" all that fabric of the flying geese method. I have been sewing all the trimmed triangle into smaller blocks from the black and white swap. I will combine all of them in a "scrap border" for the finished quilt.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6106476

Psych, I am eargerly awaiting the arrival of your blocks, tap, tap tap. Great minds... I've been saving all those trianglular pieces also and was going to sew them together for something like a doll quilt for my granddaughter. Now you've given me another idea for using them.

I was sure I couldn't get all of mine for both swaps done by the deadline for this swap and just went ahead and mailed all but 2 of them. I'll do those B&W blocks first and get them in the mail before the 10th I hope.

Quilter5 and knlswilliams; your blocks went in the mail today, hopefully they will arrive early next week.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6107220

I figured the beauty of using the leftovers in a border was they darn well should coordinate!

I'm been asked to "donate something" for a silent auction that benefits the counseling clinic I work part time in. I have 9 of 12 blocks done in "crazy quilt" style in RWB so I'm going to get the last 3 done today to put together a twin quilt. If the weather was better I'd buy a couple of bags of cement mix and pour a garden bench. I don't think my shoulder is up to man handling cement bags today.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6107707

llilyfan - I sooooooo excited. Can't wait.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6109850

ladies ladies I have a "helpful hint" for you.

take those trimmed triangles, and keep them in a stack next to your sewing machine, when you are piecing block parts , sew the triangles before and after pieces of your blocks (chain sewing), then you don't have wasted thread, and you get little bonus squares! to use with your quilts...sew some together into bigger squares, sew together into strips for sashing/borders, great when putting different size blocks together into a quilt top!!! there's always a triangle on my machine!!

Llily and psychw2, you both do tremendous jobs with colors, don't change a thing!! and I did the same block for the three of us, just switching to off white for one..."great minds" gotta love that RWB ;-}
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6109934

GREAT suggestion Barefoot!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6110034

I got another lovely RWB block from ladydragon5.

Thumbnail by barefootT

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6110061

I need 2 more blocks and then I will be ready to send the package to Elen.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6110397

GREAT!!! Elen, how are you doing? Have you mailed or almost ready???

Jean/Qwilter, have the 2 ladies (with the missing blocks) been in contact with you lately?

How about the rest of you ladies? Everybody on target to mail out all the blocks by the 10th? Please check in!

I got the 3 RWB blocks done yesterday and I have the red fabric selected and yardage calculated for the crazy quilt top sashing. I might have the quilt top DONE later today if I don't have difficultly locating and buying the red sashing I chose. I need LOTS and LOTS of that red, its the same one I want to use for my Sister's King size quilt!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6110487

Are there any more block swaps coming up besides the Spring block? I love doing this and want to continue. It keeps me challenged and busy.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6110581

LOL... I went over to the "think spring" swap to see if you had gotten in to that one and saw you were there. I'm afraid I have bad news... you are addicted to swaps. You are starting to worry about MORE swaps when you are in a brand new one and are yet incomplete. THESE should be warning signs to you. ;-)

The next logical addiction is HOSTING swaps. I'd be happy to coach you thru that addiction! I love to share my addictions with other DG members!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6111366

psychw2 - Yep, you gals got me!!!! I loved the fat quarters I got in that swap and I can't wait to see what is coming soon from Winter swap. I am lucky in that I'm retired and have lots of time. My Spring blocks are started and won't take too long to finish. In the meantime I'm chopping away at UFOs and am making good progress. I really needed everyone to motivate me again. My DH went through a bout with cancer this past summer and I didn't quilt/sew for months. I'm grateful to all of you for getting me going again. I have noticed that a lot of the ladies make quilts for hospitals and other organizations. How about a kids swap where the blocks could be used for something like that? Or is that something that has been done? I haven't been here at DG that long and don't know what's gone before. That said I would love to host one.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6111407

Throw it out & see what kind of response you get. I know there are many orgs that take them.
I use my RWB swap blocks for Quilts for Valor - quilts donated to service "people" injured in Afghanastan and Iraq.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6111428

I make crib quilts for a childrens cancer ward. The blocks from a swap would go a long way. Is anyone interested in that kind of a swap?
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6111464

I'm watching to see what happens here. I'm getting so busy, I really SHOULD NOT take on any more until fall.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6111723

I have received the following blocks, BarefootT, Thank you so much Thunder it is really great and will go great with the one I made for myself.
Quilter5bdsr Thank you Barbara it is a really great block. Thank you both very much. Will post pictures later.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6112224

Karen, mine are in envelopes and ready to post.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6113107

Mine went out last Wednesday and I thought someone would have had them by now. If any of you don't get them by the end of this week let me know as they may be lost.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #6113707

I'm sorry, LD, I did get yours Sat. It was a very hectic weekend. I put the envelope on the pile downstairs then got sidetracked before I even had a chance to admire it.
My Bad!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6114341

Just glad to hear they are getting there. Nothing worse than worring about out Mr. P.O.
Elen
Paris
France

February 9, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6115880

I'm late...sorry all !! I hurry

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6116221

The only block I have gotten was from barefootT. I'll keep looking...
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 9, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6116894

Well it seems quilters cache is down tonight and I was needing to get more paper piecing patterns printed. Hopefully they will be back up tonight and I will be finished and everything in the mail tomorrow.

Sheila

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6117101

here is a lovely bunch of blocks to show you all how great it is to be red, white, and blue

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6117111

and another

Thumbnail by barefootT

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6117255

That red fabric in your striped pinwheel is what I am going to be using for the sashing for the RWB quilt I'm working on now.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6117273

I love that red ;-}
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 10, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6119255

Just got a beautiful block in the mail from Ladydragon. Thank you. I am so glad that you all let a beginner in the mix and hope that you all like or can at least use the blocks i am sending.

Sheila

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6119427

Each time I see a group of colors that you all pick I get excitted about having a quilt like that, too. I love the RWB combination and would never have thought of doing a whole quilt before but the combination of blocks is wonderful. I keep saying that I never met a color I didn't like and that proves true over and over.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 10, 2009

Post #6119527

And another surprise in today's mail. a block from lillyfan. It is stunning! You guys are so good. For the first time in a long time I run to the mailbox, LOL!

Sheila
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6119540

Got a great block yesterday! Thank you Ladydragon. I'll post a picture later so everyone can see it.

Knls,we love beginners here. I had never made anything more than 2 baby quilts and was finishing a third for my grandaughter. First one I had made for my own daughter 30 years ago, never finished it, but it is still in use today! I was so insecure when I joined the first swap I sent pictures of my work to see if they would let me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still sew very slowly and try to challenge myself to learn something new with each swap. I'm just about ready to tackle the blocks I started for my 'first quilt'.

I am hoping to get my B & W blocks done and in the envelopes with the blocks from this swap for Ladydragon and Karen today. Cutting it close here! I will have all of mine mailed then.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6120903

OK! I got the last 2 blocks in the mail. Karen and Janice your blocks for this and the B&W swap are on their way!

All of my blocks for this swap have been sent. Off to work now, but will post a pic of Ladydragon's block to me after I get home tonight.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6121089

knslwilliams - your block came today and it is WONDERFUL!!!!!!! I just love it. It will fit in so nicely with what I have in mind. Thank you so much. Barb
PS is it Sheila or Sue?

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6121980

Barb, that one is from me, glad you like it was agonizing over the greens to use.

I'm Sue
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6123067

I promise I will lay all mine out & post a pic. Work (the paying job) has been taking up way too many hours recently. And I keep telling people I don't want to be "in charge", but, once again, I find I have people working for me and waiting for me to make decisions. And now Ihave to go to more meetings than I have time for.

But, I did skip out for a bit yesterday afternoon - had to get to a private phone to make some lodging arrangements for my TX trip, and while I was out stopped in at the local quilt shop.

Now I have to get moving and back to work so I can get out at a decent hour today!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6123124

llilyfan - Sue, my apologies. I saw the last name and jumped to conclusions. I WILL learn each of you and give credit. I'm sorry for the mistakem identity. I do so LOVE the block.
And many thanks. Barb
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6123616

Barb, you wouldn't believe how excited I was to see Sheila's last name! A sister! And even fairly close to me. BTW I'm really bad with names most times, the really important thing is that the block is acceptable ^_^.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6123696

llilyfan -I just love it.
Ladydragon5-I just received your block and it is so pretty!! I'll post picture shortly. Off to meet rhodiegirl in person!!!!!
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 11, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6124101

Llilyfan-

Ha Ha Ha. I would love to take credit for that block, but i think it is Susan's. I thought wow that got there quick as I mailed all my blocks yesterday. Sorry I know I was a little late, but the site being down held me up. I now know that I need to print the patterns for all my blocks and not print as I go.

I thought I would share a couple of tips I have adapted from sprapbooking. Many of you probably have already discovered this but since I scrap 12 x 12 pages and the blocks are 12.5 x 12.5 this works for both.

You can get ziplock bags in 2.5 gallon size. These work very nicely to keep each swap's fabric, paperwork and fat quarters in. It will also hold the completed blocks laying flat. Also as many of us have quilt "in the go", pizza boxes also hold all the blocks for one quilt together and flat. You can get new pizza boxes for 10 for $3.00 at most pizza places and they stack nicely in your closet or on a shelf. Just thought I would share. I use both of these as I sew on my kitchen table and have to clean up after each time I sew. It gives me a way to keep each project together and organized.

Sheila

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6124183

pizza boxes!! what a great idea. ;-}
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6124341

What terrific ideas! A pizza box would be great for keeping each series of blocks together until I want to do something with them. I was wondering how to keep the Oct., Christmas, Winter blocks all seperate.

I sew on the dining room table and so don't have to take down too often but my cat just loves quilting. The pins and small peices of fabric are wonderful to play with and drop off the edge of the table to the floor. The larger pieces of fabric or quilt blocks make a great soft place to lay down and take a nap. I had to de-cat a recent t-shirt quilt before I could give it to my friend. The cat would pull it down off the chair or shelf just to lay on and it was covered with cat hair. Luckily she loves cats and is not allergic, but I still had to clean it up.
Plastic bags would help, at least for the blocks. Plastic she doesn't like!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6125118

Walmart sells clear vinyl folders in the craft section meant to store paper for scrapbooking. They are marked 12" X 12" but they are bigger. A 12 1/2" block - or quilt worth of blocks - fit in one nicely. I have used pizza boxes but like that I can see what is in the clear folder.

Another trick is to hang them from a pants hanger. I use the free ones from the stores.

Of course, if we ever finished our quilts...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6125519

I use shoe boxes, I can not lay blocks flat, most fit folded in half, (my boys have big feet) I put a label on the box to identify...at the moment the top boxes are -- black and white -- red, white, blue -- fall colors blocks -- Christmas blocks -- scrappy stars --

skeletons are now to big for a box,so they are sittin on a shelf in the dining room!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6127965

I have been taking pictures of the blocks I make for each person with their names on it as well as the blocks I get from each of you with your names on it. I make a collage of them and put them in an album for wach swap. I knew I wanted to keep track of the patterns I was using so I didn't repeat too soon but I think this will work better. Now just have to remember to DO it each time. then I can get the pictures off my puter to leave room for more.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6128325

Ladydragon5 - I got your block yesterday. It is so pretty. I especially like the flowers with a touch of blue. Thank you so much.
I too take pictures of what I made and what I received. Everything looks so pretty when you see them all together.

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6128601

What a prtty block

Here is my block from Ladydragon (finally got around to taking the picture) isn't pretty and will go so well with those I have already received.

Thumbnail by llilyfan

Elen
Paris
France

February 12, 2009

Post #6129060

Qwilter I send you a message at your hotmail address.
knslwilliams
Clarksburg, MO

February 13, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6133849

Well i just got 4 of my blocks i mailed out back in the mailbox. Apparently hubby thinks they will mail them without postage, LOL. What's the old adage "If you want it done right... Any way I will be resending them tommorrow with postage and sorry for the delay.

Sheila
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6133919

That is too funny!!! I just had 1 from the other swap returned for insufficient postage. The Post Office stamped them for me and others made it to their destinations. You have to figure it costs more to send it back then it would have to just deliver the darn envelope.

One last block and I get the the package mailed off to Elen.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6134160

WOW! I'm glad to hear the blocks are coming in and this will go out soon to Elen.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6134178

Winter is moving back into MD so I should be able to get the rest of my blocks done tomorrow. It's just too hard to stay indoors on those nice days that pop up in the middle of winter.
Elen
Paris
France

February 13, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6134364

My blocks are ready to go...Tomorrow I'll go to the post office if Qwilter don't forget to give me her name !!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6134447

Got this from Karen today. It is so cheerful. It just makes me happy!!! Thank you so much.

luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6134511

I like that, it is very cheerful!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6134591

I have received two more blocks today and they are beautiful! I got Karen of AZ & knslwilliams (Sheila). I have never done paper piecing and the block is AWESOME, thank you ladies. ~ Pat
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6134784

Elen - in case you check here before email - I'm Jean Watson.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6135287

I also got a beautiful block from karen, I will take a photo tomorrow and post it.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6135325

I got my block from psychw2 and love the print. the blues and yellows look so bright and cheery. I like the pattern, too; those darn trianlges again but this time I didn't have to do them.

Thumbnail by ladydragon5

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6135562

very nice block "doc"..love that blue fabric, I have it in red...now I gotta go see if I can find it in blue...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6135648

That blue was in a fat quarter from Jo-Ann. I have NOT seen that one in yardage. I know which red you mean and it looks similar in the picture but is Not quite the same.
Elen
Paris
France

February 14, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6136802

My blocks are gone this morning...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6136821

Ok, ladies please "check in". Has EVERYBODY (except Jean/Qwilter who is waiting for Elen's blocks) mailed their blocks out? Who all is mailing late? Who is combining this swap block with the blocks from the Black and White swap?

PLEASE check in now!!!

Psychw2/ Pat all blocks mailed. (Moodene, yours went out a day or two ago, everyone else's when out about the 8th.)
2. Ladydragon5 -
3. BarefootT -
4 knslwilliams -
5. Lillyfan
6. Qwilter -
7KarenofArizon
8 Elen - all mailed out, not yet received.
9 Quilter5bdsr -

I will create a new thread with this post at the top. Please check in, please post feedback for each member. THANKS.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6136847

New thread, please check in, THANKS! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/952648/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America