2008/2009 WINTER quilt block swap

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I am organizing a new quilt block with a JANUARY 10 deadline for signups. Mailing date is Feburary 10th, 2009. I am requesting that EACH participant leave feedback for EACH participant in the exchange. On time? followed the rules (100% cotton etc.)? You will EACH be responsible for keeping track of the blocks you have received so that you CAN leave feedback.

Also please note, we have been joined by one of our French members, Elen. We have made arrangements to ship Elen's blocks to Qwilter (with your block to Qwilter) Elen's blocks will be mailed all together to Qwilter and then be distributed out to the swap members. Please anticipate including at least $1 to offset the postage expense. AND realize it will take longer to get your blocks from Qwilter and Elen

Block Specifics: YOU choose the block pattern you are sewing, YOU list the colors you want YOUR blocks to be sewn in by the other members.

1. PLEASE make sure the fabric is 100% cotton and prewashed! If in doubt, don't use it.
2. Do not use any spray starch on blocks, spray sizing is OK.
3. A block should measure 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 when finished. (so that it will be 12 x 12 when sewn in quilt)
4. You will make ONE block for each participant, there will NOT be more than 12 participants.
5. Remember after you make a quilt we would love to see your results!!

Each of us are choosing the pattern that we will be doing, it is my hope that we can choice something within our ability level and not over-stress over the whole project. The purpose is to have fun!

Deadline for sign up is January 10th. Unless we have 12 people sign up before the deadline. When we reach 12, or the deadline January 10th, the swap will be CLOSED.

So ladies!! Confirm your interest and post your colors!

Each of you are responsible to choose your own pattern and make ONE block in the appropriate colors for EACH of the participants. Mail them directly to each of the swap members..

The deadline to have all blocks mailed to the swap members is Feburary 10th. Be sure you are listed in the address exchange.

We will accept Non-subscribers on a case by case basis. If you have participated before, and there were no problems, I am sure you'll be allowed in this one. I do NOT think its a good idea to post your name & address on the internet, PLEASE take care of addresses by d-mail.

Be sure to put your username and real name on the block that you send . You can pin it on or put a label on it, whichever works better for you.

Members of THIS swap and their colors:

1.Psychw2 - Red White and Blue
2. Ladydragon5 - stonewashed denim blue, white and yellow
3. BarefootT - Red White and Blue
4 knslwilliams - Barn Red, Dark Brown and Cream. (interesting colors Sheila!)
5. Lillyfan Red, off white & blue
6. Qwilter - blue, yellow and white
7KarenofArizon blue and yellow & a "3rd color" of your choice
8 Elen (from FRANCE~ Welcome!) red white and black
9 Quilter5bdsr -greens, soft yellows and creme http://www.quilterscache.com./T/TwistingStarBlock.html

A reminder that although it is not "necessary" it is very nice for each member to post a link to the block they are sewing when the time comes. One of the benefits of participating is increasing your skills AND your collection of patterns!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2009 2:27 PM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

psychw2 - I knew you wouldn't be able to wait long before organizing the 1st swap for 2009!!!! I'm going to have to wait & see before jumping on board for this one.

Yes, I had really expected to do one in Nov & Dec but we have so many members that are not finished with the other swaps, AND I'm working more than full time so I postponed. Guess we'll see how many are interested. I decided against doing just "Black White & Red" or "Red White & Blue" and again let people choose their own colors.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

I had been talking about doing a black and white block swap sometime after the first of the year since people were so busy with the Holidays but you beat me to it! I think I will sign up for this one and wait to post mine until January.
So count me in and I will let you know colors after I think about it for awhile.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Psychw2, I would love to be in on this one. Red, White, and Blue please.....

I forgot to say I have completed all other swaps, that are due..

I do still have to do the Jan.. and Feb..for the 12 month swap, but all past blocks were done on time...And I am also in the flower pot holder swap, that is not due till end of Feb. and I do not anticipate any problem with that.

I do have Christmas presents to complete, but they will be done before this swap is due, so again I do not anticipate any problems with that....

Just wanted you to know I am up to date..!!!!

DANG Thunder, YOU are an over-achiever!! hehehe, nice to have you join us!

Ottawa, Canada

I'd like to join too. I finished both my other swaps on time. I would like White, purple and turquoise.

Welcome Quelgian, I hope all of you are checking the FIRST post above for updates on members and colors. Anyone not seeing their name above should bring it to my attention. I likely will be trying to update this "not daily" for a while since we have plenty of time and I'll be out of town for a bit off & on.

Clarksburg, MO

This will be my first time joining a swap with you gals. This one seems simple enough. Would you let me come and play??? Please, Please, Please

If so, I would like Barn Red, Dark Brown and Cream.

Sheila

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Jump on in, the water is fine! These are great gals and their blocks are well worth receiving. I'm fairly new myself and I look forward to seeing what they will come up this this time. I like the idea of picking my own block since i can gauge it to my sewing level with maybe a bit of a stretch from time too time.

Clarksburg, MO

Thank you Thank you Thank you-

I am "sew" excited, BUT............

Now I am questioning my color selection. Did I do something wrong? I thought that they would look good together and sorta match my living room. Was thinking about making a sampler quilt/lap throw. If the colors are not up to snuff for this swap, please let me know.

Thanks again for letting me in-

Sheila

South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, I'm in! Well.....that is if you'll have me.

I believe I am current on my swaps, so I am ok there.

Colors: Red, Off White (cream), & Blue

now to find a pattern....

1 more thing, I don't know how to leave feedback, where and what are we talking about?

knlswilliams, its not too late to change your colors but you are welcome to have any color combination you desire! That's the beauty of this kind of swap. Everybody picks the colors THEY want to receive and sews a block within their own skills level.

quelgian - the only hard part about making a block for you is making sure I don't use fabrics I've already used in other blocks I've done for you. Those are colors I've been collecting to make a quilt for my bed. One of these days!!!!

OK, I'm in. I'll be on vacation for a bit in Jan, but will have time to get these made.

aaaaaaaaaa... why would it matter if you used the same fabric as you used before??

I guess it really wouldn't but...................................

Ottawa, Canada

As long as it's not the same pattern and same fabric.

very true

Tucson, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi psychw2 add me in for this one. I am working more hours, but don't see why I can't do this for my fun time.

I was so impressed with the black and white with a little bit of red, that that is what I would like to have for my colors. Will let you know on the block that I am going to sew in a few days. I will have to put my thinking cap on and come up with one.

Thanks so much for doing another swap for us swap junkies.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi again psychw2 I would like to change my colors for this swap from the black and white to blue and yellow with a third color put in by the block maker.. Hope this is not going to be a problem.

Darn Karen, I was just pulling some fabrics together and thinking about a blue, yellow, & "something" quilt. I've somehow amassed quite a collection of blues - and I don't normally use blue.

I have LOTS of blue and yellows! I made a jean quilt with yellow and blue denim appliqued with yellow/blue prints on random blocks. I don't have any pictures of it, it was a gift to my son & DDIL last year for Christmas.

well psychw2.....you just need to get them to email you a pic so you can post it...we wannna seeeeee!!!!!!!!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 8a)

Qwilter, it has been a long time since I did a blue and yellow quilt and it was all blue and yellow and it was raffled off and the money went to St. Jude Childrens Hospital.

So thought it was time to do blue and yellow again with a third color just thought it would be very interesting to have each person add the third color.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad I let you all choose before me as you give me such good ideas. As I have said, I never saw a color I didn't like, so choosing just 2-3 is hard. But this idea of having a stonewashed denium blue, yellow and white appealls to me very much. Put that down as my choices.

All - anyone looking for a GREAT sale on fabrics????

go here: http://zandsfabrics.com/default.asp

We've added hundred of fabrics to our $3.59 clearance section.
All Rowan fabrics are now $5.99! All Free Spirit fabrics are now $5.99 There are so many price reductions, they are just too numerous to mention...
Stop by Z&S Fabrics and find your next project.
Again, thank you for sharing a wonderful year with us.

These are all 1st quality, name brand fabrics. And the 2 ladies who run the site are wonderful.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Pat, I'm the stonewashed denim blue, white and yellow, too. That sounded so pretty and full of Spring.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I am not really sure what I am doing here, but I think I would like to sign up so I can get in before it is full. LOL

Psyche is going to get back with me with all the details and maybe I can figure it out and get it done.

I will have to unbury my sewing machine, but I have been wanting to do that for awhile.

Susan
=^..^=

Just realized I never gave that 3rd color. How about white.
The fabric I have that started this has lemons, blue swirly things and a white background.

I've spent the last 3 days cutting out the pieces for my king size quilt. Took me @5 years to collect the @50 pieces fabric. According to the pattern I'm "sort of" following I'll need @230 blocks. Each block has 12 pieces and finishes 6". It's done in turquoise, purple, and mauves. I hope to start sewing this afternoon since it is to be a cold & dreary day.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Jean you have really taken on a project! but with your sewing skills I'm sure it will be beautiful. 230 blocks with 12 pieces is too much work for me, but I envy those who have a long attention span than I do.

I don't plan on "finishing" it any time soon!!!! My goal is to have it ready to toss on the bed come fall (and notice I'm not saying which year).
I did open my quilting machine to it's full 12' in anticiparion of quilting it.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I hate to do this before I even start, but I need to withdraw. I just don't have my stuff in order to even begin to do this.

I thought maybe this would kick start me into cleaning this up, but there is just too much in the way right now.

I hope there will be more of these and I can do one then.

Susan
=^..^=

Life happens Kitty / Susan and we'll be happy to have you join us on another one, some other month!

Paris, France

I should be interested to sign up with this SWAP but only if all of the participants are agree with this french exchange. It'll be a new experience for me and my first SWAP.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Just speaking for me, I would love to know that one of my blocks was in a quilt used by someone in France. And think of the different fabrics you have access to. Mail time will be longer for you, though.

I too think it would be great!!!! Perhaps a bulk mailing would be less expensive.
Psychw2, if you have too much going on, I'd gladly be the "exchange/mailing" point. Let me know.

South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm in with Elen particpating...will love to have a real French block in my quilt and like Ladydragon5 said it will be wonderful knowing I have a block in a quilt in France.

Qwilter, if you don't mind facilitating the exchange that would be great. I'd be happy to kick in an extra $1 to help with shipping. We would all have to mail Elen's block to Qwilter when we mail hers so she could ship all of Elen's to her.

ALL MEMBERS - Feel free to contact me by dmail if you are not comfortable discussing this in open forum. I don't want anyone to feel pressured to accept this proposal.

I would be more than happy to have elan join us, and would also be willing to chip in for postage!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.