Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: My bees i Sleeping

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 4, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5893230

Now they sleep, I hope they all are in good health next spring.

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5899051

HI there. My name is Liz and my hus. name is Lloyd. He is the beekeeper in the family. I found your hives very interesting and called him to take a look at them. The covered entrances are something we have never seen. It is a really neat idea. Why do you have two covers on top? Is it for extra warmth? How cold do the winters get where you are? Does snow stay on the ground for a long time? Do you live in the countryside, in town or on the outskirts of town? We live in the country in TN, USA, about 80 miiles east of the Mississippi river. Sometimes we get snow, but usually it goes in the south of us in Mississippi or to the north of us in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, etc.

Do you have any plans for the entrace covers or is it your own design? Sorry for all the questions, but that is fascinating. How many hives do you have? My hus has 14 I think. they are scattered all around the country there cotton and soybeans are grown. LIZ
curzio
Kenosha, WI

December 17, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5901294

I notice netting in front of the entrance - to prevent voles (mice) to enter the hives?

Our US build hives have a very large opening that is reduced in the winter with a wooden stick that only leaves an opening of 2cm x 1cm (too small for mice to get in).

My hives ... as you can see on my post, previous to yours ... are placed close to a building that provides as wind barrier. Is the main purpose of your entrance cover to reduce wind draft?

greetings from Kenosha, Wisconsin
hobbyodlaren
Link
Sweden
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5901562

Hi Liz
My name is Sylvia and my husband Frank who is the beekeeper, Im only the helper. So far we only have these two hives. We start beekeeping this spring, but next summer 2009 we hope to have at lest 2 hives more.
My husband have build the hives as called "wanderinghives" . Easy to move.

My intend is to do a picturewiew with his joinery when he builds hives. We will see if I get it ready some times in winter . Then I shall broadcast a link.

The roof have 5 cm feedstuff . And are covered with tarred felt. We can get down to -16 F even that it is unusual now for the time. Snow only perhaps 1 decimetre a couple of days during the winter, formerly we had very cold and much snow here, but never the last 10 years, the winters have been very mild.
Entrance cover in the entrefront is for protection against sun, rain and wind.
Curzio
The netting around the entrencecover is to protect the bees against the bird (Parus major)
which tap on the beehive entrance, when the bee look whats up, the bird take it and eat it.
They have become that it is easy food in the winter here in Sweden.

For the mice the opening is reduced in the winter with a metal-tied that only leaves rounded hole in 8 mm in diameter (too small for mice to get in).

We live in the country, about 6 miles outside the town. We have most field and arable land around us. The weed Dandelion and field with rapeseed. And also field with wheat and other kind of corn.
Amazing Liz with Mississippi river, we have an little little brook behind one field in front of our house.
Very nice to read about your experience over there.
Enclose a picture over the metalcover used in the winter to protect against mice.
Sylvia

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drmomdo
Burleson, TX

January 6, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #5973017

Nice to hear about beekeepers from other countries. I live in Texas USA and have been a beekeeper for about 6 years. I have 12 hives in different locations to gather different types of nectar and therefor different color/taste honey. Some of my buyers like the dark strong honey aned others will pay a premium for the light colored kind.

We have some birds that eat bees when they are flying but none that go to the hive. Our skunk (civet cat) will scratch at the entrance and eat the girls as they fly out to investigate. Also the insect the preying mantis will sit on the hive and snatch a few as they light on the landing board.

Weather in texas is strange; one day it is below freezing and the next day it is so warm the bees go flying. B/c of that it is necessary to feed the bees an inside feeder with sugar syrup during the winter so they do not run out of honey and starve. I also use the metal tops and metal entrance reducers to keep mice out. Sally

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America