Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Periwinkles for the Garden: TLC for lovely vinca

Communities > Forums > Article: Periwinkles for the Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Periwinkles for the GardenReplies: 1, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
she_ila
Columbia, MD

December 15, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5894050

I have a beautiful patch vinca under an old silver maple. It gets no sun and probably not much to drink although I water enough in summer to keep the nearby oakleaf hydrangeas alive. My question really is about the Very thick layer of leaves that fall on the vinca. Do I leave it "as is" as mulch for over the winter? (Northern Maryland gets snow and weather in the teens for a week or two at a time.) When and how do I rake it off? I have tried raking in (soggy) spring and feel bad about all the vines I inadvertently rip out. So, what am I supposed to do about the piles of leaves.?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5894237

The leaves can protect the plants but too many may compact and rot the periwinkle. I'd rake early in spring before the periwinkle starts to bloom. However, I think in Maryland I would be tempted to remove the leaves now. Your cold and snow is short-lived so the periwinkle probably do not need extra protection. In my area, the snow and cold are for 4 months! A layer of leaves is helpful in THAT case!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Periwinkles for the Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
High on my list! cathy4 10 May 20, 2011 6:51 AM
Of course, if it is by TODD BOLAND: Leehallfae 0 Dec 15, 2008 12:37 PM
Caution quiltjean 6 Aug 8, 2011 7:15 AM
Vinca under Cedars Minime199 2 May 16, 2011 7:28 AM
quiltjean's "Caution" qbs 0 Dec 15, 2008 7:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America