Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The best trees for a cactus and succulent garden: The best trees for cactus and succulent

Communities > Forums > Article: The best trees for a cactus and succulent garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: The best trees for a cactus and succulent gardenReplies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VGN007
El Cajon, CA

December 15, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5894102

I found your information very useful, and one of my favorite trees that you mentioned is the "tapioca" of which I have growing in a very moist part of my garden in the backyard. It is about 4 feet tall and still has all of it's leaves on it. It gets morning sun, but shade most of the day. Is it safe to transplant it right now to where my succulent garden is? I'd also like o know if you would consider the "schizolobium" (brazilian tree fern) as a good shade tree for succulents and cactus.
herbs501
Hallettsville, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5895502

This article is much appreciated.

I live in South Central Texas, Zone 8b, where it gets much too hot and sunny for most succulents to be without shade in the summer. It's perplexing to find a tree that works in our very hot, humid summers, but also will survive our drops into below freezing temps in the winter.

I have a Mexican Oleander and love it. But, alas, it is not terribly winter hardy here, so I grow it as a container plant and put it in a cool greenhouse for the winter. Ditto for my Chinese Floss Tree.

My Desert Willow serves well in one area, although it's not much protection from freezing during the winter as it drops its leaves.

I also use shade cloth in areas and it works great for the summer. It gives little protection for the winter.

So, I guess, I'm still looking for the "perfect" tree for my succulents.

Thanks, Palmbob, for giving us more information and choices.

Cindy in Texas

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #5896548

Schizolobium might be OK in your climate, but in mine it's a spindly tree producing almost no shade whatsoever.. additionally it seems to be a very thirsty tree... mine defoliates if I don't water it frequently during the summer, not something I would want to have to do had it been growing in the middle of a cactus garden. It is one of the better trees in warmer climates for canopy over palms, however. Enterolobiums are also good canopy trees for palms (but again not in my climate).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The best trees for a cactus and succulent garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Photos DaleTheGardener 1 Dec 11, 2008 3:40 PM
Memories of Southern California gloria125 4 Dec 12, 2008 5:13 AM
Mimosa Tree Kelli 1 Dec 12, 2008 4:43 AM
PALM TREES Noturf 3 Dec 15, 2008 8:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America