Potpourri Dangers

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I received this from a friend today, Haven't checked on Snopes.com for validity, but decided to pass it on. For those who don't know Cavalier is a type of spaniel, a small dog. I'm posting this on several forums...
>
>
In a message dated 12/10/2008 6:25:17 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Karencantner writes:

We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wed. Two, beloved
Cavaliers of mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from a decorative
basket in my Living room.

Within hours, they were vomiting it, convulsing and going into total
body rigidity and shock. We took them to the after hours clinic, they
had no idea what it could be and wouldn't listen to me about them
vomiting potpourri at home and how I had such concerns about the
toxic effects of it. They treated symptoms.

We transferred them to our day vet. He also wouldn't listen to me
about the potpourri theory. He said they had "strychnine" poisoning
symptoms. I kept telling him that the potpourri was Made In India,
sold by a company in California and sold at my local WalMart. My
heart told me that it was the culprit of their condition.

They declined rapidly throughout the day and we transferred them back
to the after hours clinic for a second night. At midnight, I made the
agonizing decision to put them to sleep. Haley was in constant
seizures that wouldn't stop, fluid was filling up in her lungs, body
temp was dropping on both of them, Zoe was lying almost lifeless on
the table, struggling with every breath she took. Every muscle was
completely rigid, you couldn't even move her.

I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed
and function) to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have
since found out I was right....... ....._there is a lab in England
that has case studies on toxic potpourri from India!!_ The
toxin....strychnine , which in it's commercial source, comes from a
certain tree grown in India . I am completely heart broken over this.

Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like
this in our homes. I would've never guessed this could happen but
when I saw them both "playing" in the potpourri and then after about
two hours saw the symptoms of a poisoning, I just put two and two
together. Hug your babies, Love them and always take lots of photos
along the way...it helps later on, trust me.

Karen Cantner, Heartland Kennels, Evansville , Indiana USA

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

BACK TO TOP