December Daily Weather 3 - the weather last thread of 2008?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We've come from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/930852/

The thread was getting pretty long to load, even with cable. :-)

That's a beautiful tree, Bernie!!

Celia's icicles...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We got a WHOPPING 1" of snow!
The city is paralyzed ......
Hope we can survive on the food we have stocked up..... LOL!

Ric

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL Ric!! We have around 3 in here in the Metro and 5 inches and more up north. And people are in ditches everywhere here too. Not even our first snow of the season either!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I've heard about KC drivers. My brother was there years ago when it snowed. Only a inch or so & nobody could move!

Another pic of the snow.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

adina, congratulations on all your hard work!!!
How come people in snowy zones cannot drive in snow?
We now have 2" and it is raining freezing rain. Should be real nice tomorrow morning. Temps a little below freezing. Supposed to keep up all night, then melt after noontime tomorrow.
We are fortunate in that we do not have those arctic temps enjoyed by our friends in Michigan and Minnesota and Colorado, and Iowa.. Not our turn YET!

The big problem with KC drivers is they get in a hurry and drive too fast. When it snows we usually have black ice which makes things worse. I drive slow and when someone passes me I always yell "See ya in the ditch!" LOL

(Zone 7a)

My brother says it was -22 in Montana this morning. No thank you. I'll pass.

We're at 17 now. We got about 2" of the white stuff today. Isis didn't do her usual blind run into it. She stopped short of door and slunk around the corner.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Kwanjin LOL about Isis. Lee

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Bernie Pull out the t-shirtsI feel the heat coming from your area! LOL! Love the snow picture. I like your ornaments. Very pretty!
Marylyn Thank you for starting a new thread!

All this talk of snow and were having a heat wavesupposed to be in the 80s this weekend. Im not ready for summer yet.

Se_eds I dont know, but they laugh at us when it snows here and we have to shut down. We dont have snow tires, chains, plows, etc... LOL!

The main problem we have is when it doesn't rain for a long time, then it does, our roads get very slick due. Then we see people in the ditch who have driven too fast.

Celia LOL at Isis!

55.2 F / 12.9 C
Fog
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 51 F / 11 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers
Elevation: 18 ft / 5 m

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. High 76. Southwest winds 5 mph.

Pea went to work with me...here she is putting her toys away :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

MySharona, great pic of the dog. Is it a puppy or mature? and what kind is it? Lee

She's a Chi baby at almost 2lbs. She's only get to 4 maybe 5 lbs. Here she is burying her bone in the box. She tried to bury it in her carrier too.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Well, she's absolutely adorable. Lee

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Mornin'! I thought that it was supposed to get 'freezy' last night, but it didn't, which is a good thing, because it rained almost an inch yesterday. Counties to the north got all of the ice & snow. Right now it's a warm 41, but the sky looks like snow.
Cloudy: 41F
Feels like: 41F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 41
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 7 miles
Precip in last hr: 0 in
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.25 in
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:32 AM
Sunset: 5:07

Welcome CountryGardens & Rocco!
Celia, I do believe that Sir Monty is a 'ham'! Is that his 'play dead' pose? LOL Kitties are so funny! :D
Sharon, Pea is as cute as can be! :D It's so nice you can take him to work w/you. btw, How is Gary doing?
Marylyn, It's so great that your parents come for a visit! I bet they came by my house on their way to FL! (I've been waving! :)
Se_eds, are you feeling better? Hope so!
Rann, Lovin' the trolls! I've been reading some to JW. He just oooos & awwww's! I think that next year he'll understand more (or maybe the next year). ;) Are you & Selma feeling better? 'Hope so. I think stomach bugs are gong around here, too. A local hospital has one entire floor quarantined because of it, but it's not a large hospital & not the one Emily works at.
Marsue, Your DGD is Gorgeous! and so is her dress!
Ric, We may get a doozy of a winter this year, it's already been way colder than in the past several years. Take care. Your new addition is really looking Great! You & Robyn are doing a terrific Job!
Deb, I had no idea (never really thought about it) that you could grow Impatiens indoors! Wow! I'll have to try that next year! I always hate loosing my New Guinies when the frost comes every fall comes!

Well...gotta run. I need to get outside & take more pic's! I'm running out!
Joey

(1 more of JW - & he's really not sleepy)

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

It's been a beautiful day today. It snowed this morning, it's fairly calm and I have no idea what the temperature is ....

I got sick last night :-( I hope it'll only be a 1 day bug, I can't afford to loose more days ....... arrrghhh! Hildur Eva is still fine, I hope she won't catch it as well.

I've enjoyed all the posts and photos :-)

Lee - thanks, glad you've enjoyed the stories.

Sharon - awwwwwwww sweet pea is such a sweetie :-)

Joey - JW is pretty cute too! lol I'm glad you've been able to tell him the troll stories :-)

I'll try to be back later with Nr. 6 .... he brought the girls more pets ....a panda and a turtle this time ......

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

rann, how many of these kitchen creatures are there? I know this is a weather forum but please pardon me as I am curious about these little things. LOL Lee

(Zone 3b)

Sunrise: 10:12
Sunset: 3:32 with a loss of 40 seconds daylight. A few more days and it's time to add daylight.
It's been a good winter with snow on the ground since early October. The snow reflects any light, and really helps in easing the long dark.
Minus 2 with freezing fog.
Congratulations, Adina.
Thanks for the new thread, Marylyn.
Take care on those slippery roads for those with winter driving conditions.
kwanjin~ at minus 22 in Montana, your brother could toss hot coffee in the air and watch it vaporize.
Keep cool for those where it's getting warm.
From a few years ago; vaporized hot water. (repeat pic; but may be new to some).

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Lee, there are 13 of the little guys. They are the sons of a demon named Grla who used to be very nasty but now is reformed. It's been fun following along.

16F with 28 for the high. It's suppposed to snow more today but all I see are blue skies.
Feels like: 8F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↓
Dewpoint: 11
Humidity: 78%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.01 in
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:46 AM
Sunset: 5:01 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Juncos feeding on fallen seed.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

We crossed, Kiska. I'll have to tell him to give that a try.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

GRRRR--I had a post all typed up and lost it! I hate it when that happens!
Well, here goes again:
Sharon: 80--I can feel the sweat running down my brow already! LOL Sweetpea is precious and not spoiled one bit, is she?
Kiska and Rann: I love both of your wintry scenes--so pretty.
Rann: troll # 5 would have liked it in my kitchen in years past--plenty of leftovers--some of them even had mold growing on them! LOL I hope you and Selma are feeling better.
Kiska and Sharon: I have two grandsons, ages, 23 and 21, who are both over 6 feet. I have to stand on tiptoe to hug them! LOL
Celia: your junco picture reminds me that I need to put some bird seed out in the feeders.
Bernie: those are some beautiful cabinets. Beautiful Christmas tree, too!
Joey: JW is cute as ever! Get some of that neck sugar for me! :o))

All you folks who live up in the frozen north: I thought it was only we southerners who couldn't drive on the snow! I guess that driving in the ditches is a national thing, isn't it? LOL

The schools have been closed here for the last two days. We are due to have a high of 40 today so all the ice/snow should melt off the roadways. The town streets are pretty much clear--it is the country roads that have prevented the school buses from getting around to pick up all the students--therefore, no school.
Here is a pic of our wintry mix yesterday morning:

Thumbnail by marsue
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Congratulations, Adina! Yay!!!

The weather today is ugly and it is odd to have wind from the northeast and rain at the same time. Note that there is even a wind chill.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on December 17, 2008
46 F / 8 C
Light Rain
Windchill: 39 F / 4 C
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 36 F / 2 C
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 26 mph / 43 km/h / 11.8 m/s
Pressure: 29.77 in / 1008 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3700 ft / 1127 m
Overcast 4400 ft / 1341 m
(Above Ground Level)

Another picture from Santa Cruz Island. (Today would not be a good day to go to SCI.) The dead-ish plants along the side of the road are fennel. It's ugly, it's invasive, but it smells good. There was so much of it that you could smell it down below where it wasn't as windy.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2008 11:30 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pretty much the same location but a different angle

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rusty: I see a whole lot of blooming and growing potential in those snow-covered pots on your deck!
Ric: 1" of snow here would cause a widespread panic! There are no plows and no salt trucks. It snows - we sit. LOL.
Joey: JW just gets cuter and cuter!
Kiska: Only 4 days til Solstice!!
Kelli: rain is good! Of course, you could probably do without the cold wind! Love your pics of SCI.
Rann: Hope you feel better quick!

Today: Mostly sunny and warm.. High 76. Tonight: Clear and cool. Low 52. (We had to turn the a/c on yesterday afternoon.)

Deb

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the wellwishes ..... I sure hope I'll be better tomorrow. It's been a pretty miserable day.

Kelli - great photos from SCI. Cool and wet! Although it's pretty nasty I bet the rain is welcome!

Adina - I forgot earlier - Congratulations!!! Great for you :-)

Lee - Celia answered your question, there are 13 trolls, they're not all kitchen lurkers though ;-) lol

Rann

(Zone 7a)

Who's our troll for the day, Rann?

(Zone 5a)

OK here's number 6: Askasleikir (Ask-a (=apple) -slaik-ir)

Number 6 is Askasleikir and unlike Pottaskefill he wasn't very sneaky. He was on the lookout for food containers* with leftovers in them that people would put out for the cats and dogs. So he used to hide under beds waiting for something to turn up.** When he got his hands on some leftovers he'd slurp them down as loudly as he could, with little regard to good manners.

* The traditional wooden containers food was served in are named "askur".

** This was back in the days of the turfhouses when the living and sleeping area were in the same space ... today he'd not find much to eat under beds.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Mostly cloudy but the sun peeked thru a few times. Got up to 25 deg and it felt great!! LOL. The roads are still a mess around here but most of the highways are clear. Some of the lesser used ones still have slick spots but they weren't that bad.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Deb 1" here causes a panic and we HAVE all those things! LOL!

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: I'll keep you in my prayers. ;->

LOL!! That's pretty bad Ric. Sometimes people around here panic over that much but usually they just drive too fast. lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

-6 again tonight.
Snowstorm forecast for Thursday night.
Not so bad here, terrible stuff for KC & I suppose on to Ohio.

Put in a couple cabinets for an older lady today. She is doing her kitchen as she can afford it. A half a dozen or so cabinets to go.

A guy I have done a lot of cabinet work for, bought a new fish house. He needs a bigger table in there, so I will be doing that tomorrow.
He has found lots of jobs for me, so I will do this as his reward!
Would you believe $7300.00 for a fish house ? For you southern types, the fish house is put out on a frozen lake to sit in & fish here in the winter.
Some lakes have hundreds.

Going to go through our seeds soon & put some of the perennials in the freezer. Then we can sow them in early Feb.
I plan on selling started perennials this spring at Farmers Market. Also going to a couple Round up's, so will have something to take along.

Well off to bed for me.
Bernie

Joey Gary is doing pretty good. He still has the crud, the chemo didnt help with that. He had a cat scan yesterday, but we dont know the results yet. He is going to PA tomorrow for Christmas with his Mom and stepdad. JW is sooo cute! Bubble on his belly for me LOL! I can hear the squeals LOL!
Rann I hope yall are feeling better. I hate that you are getting sick this time of year.
Kiska Send some of that reflective light (snow) down here!
Celia The Juncos are so pretty.
Marsue Nope, Pea isnt spoiled at all LOL! How is Friday doing? Looks like the snow decided to fall only in certain areas!
Kelli I like Fennel only in small doses, not a fan of licorice. But I love the pictures!
Bernie Theres a lot I could with $7,300 and none of it would have anything to do with a fish house LOL! Im guessing they have some sort of heat source? Why are they so expensive?

55.3 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 56 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.19 in (Rising)
Visibility: 7.0 miles

Today
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog in the morning. High 77. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the east around 5 mph in the afternoon.

And it just gets hotter. We are looking at possible record heat in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to Monday when it cools off. Sweating just thinking about this weekend.

Tuesday night on the way home from work. Strange line of clouds formed on the horizon...no rain.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here's a fish house.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Part of interior. These are set up to live in for a couple days. Probably a table & some bunks in each one.
The one I am working on has a TV.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

ottawa canada -4 celcius that is warm for us at this time of year we have about two feet of snow and tomorrow we are getting plenty more, that is all good till x-mas is over then I want all this white stuff to leave with the jolly man so I can get back to my gardens well he never listens and it takes another four months before it is gone for good and they talk about global warming, I still dont see it hahahha well that is what I get for living in a zone 5
we pray for heat lol and sunshine the only thing moving outside these days are the birds even the squirls are sleeping lol I dont blame them I would do it to given half a chance.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Yet another beautiful day here today :-) Seems fairly calm, fairly bright too and 29F.

I'm feeling better - worst is over I think. Thank God for that! :-) Now I just pray that Hildur Eva won't get sick!

Schools don't close here due to bad weather unless there's a real blizzard and that doesn't happen every year. Even if the schools are closed .... people still go to work ;-) (Those who don't need to stay home with their kids). Might be late getting there but they show up. Usually when it snows, life goes on as usual, the streets are salted and cleared before the morning traffic, if it's snowing at that time people just drive SLOW! lol And the majority of people use studded tires under their cars so they can drive in pretty much anything ...... ;-) I'm against them since there are more days when the streets are clear than not and the studs tear up the streets and cause air polution ..... I've been fine driving on the green diamond tires for years in any kind of weather.

Nr. 7 brought Hildur Eva a piece of chockolate and Selma a piece of carrot ... I guess he ran out of potatoes ;-) lol She was a real horror last night ...... probably because I was sick and not able to give her the attention she's used to. (She has a hard time dealing with things being different than usual) Kept us up until 1:30 am. She couldn't (wouldn't?) fall asleep and wanted to sleep in my bed ..... I just couldn't let her do that, when I'm this sick I need my space. It was one night for crying out loud! Still I feel like a horribly bad mom for being so mean to her ..... she ended up crawling into bed with Hildur Eva. I'm probably looking at her having trouble falling asleep for the next month as a result of me loosing my temper.... :-( Darn it.

Well, hope you all have a great day!

Rann

(Zone 5a)

Here's number 7: Huraskellir (Hurth(th=this)-a(a=apple)-skedl (e=end)-ir (i=in))

He's a real prankster. When everyone's asleep he'll quietly go from door to door to check which one creaks the most. When he's found the loudest door he'll slam it as hard as he can, the more noise the better. For him ofcourse, not the people he startles from their sleep.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

It's snowing once again :-) and therefore it's cloudy, not clear ;-) lol Still very bright ... must be all that white stuff! :-)

Rann

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rann, my big bunny has the same trouble when things aren't in the usual routine - and it also affects her sleep. I wouldn't have let her in our bed either, so if you're a horrible mom, I am, too. ;-) I hope she'll do much better for you today - and I sure hope you are feeling better soon!!

Welcome, scicciarella! Brrrr.....

It's warmer again today, and very foggy. My parents didn't go to Florida yesterday... My little sister's daughter has been sick, so they stayed in Columbus, Ohio to help her with Bekah. The poor little thing had some nasty tummy flu and couldn't keep anything down. She's 2 1/2. They took her to the children's hospital Saturday and the doctor there hooked her up to an IV for a while to rehydrate her and then sent her back home. She had lost 4 pounds before that, and lost another 3 (probably all of the fluids they just gave her) by the time they saw their regular pediatrician on Monday. She's doing a lot better now, though. Mom and Dad are planning to head our way Saturday morning, so they won't be here until Sunday night.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:31am CST (20 min ago)
Temperature 65 F 18 C
Dew Point 63 F 17 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.16 in 1021.5 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir SE 140
Ceiling - -
Visibility 0.5 mi 0.8 km
Current Conditions Fog
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 62.1F / 16.7C

Today Widespread dense fog with visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. Otherwise cloudy with scattered showers. Warmer. Highs in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

(Zone 7a)

I hope you and Selma get to feeling better very soon. Loving the trolls! LOL Darrell is getting a kick out of pronouncing the names and getting treats.

Seeds, how are you feeling these days?

Whomever else is sick, you get better, too.

Sharon, will you send some of that heat this way, please? LOL

25F with 33 for todays high. It's snowing and the flakes keep getting bigger.
Feels like: 16F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↓
Dewpoint: 18
Humidity: 68%
Visibility: 9 miles
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 8 mph N
Sunrise: 7:47 AM
Sunset: 5:02 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

I heard a thumping sound yesterday and went to investigate.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

12F Calm, dark.
Sunrise: 10:14
Sunset: 3:32 loss of 40 seconds today. Almost to the turning point.
Welcome, scicciarella~
rann~don't be too hard yourself; bad days happen and then go on. And, get well soon.
CGardens~very nice fish house; I've not seen anything like that. Very nice get-away cabin. We just drive out and drill a hole and hope for the best.
MySharona~ I see on WUnderground photos that there was 5.5 inches of snow in Barstow, Calif. (Desert) Perhaps all the warm weather has come your way.
How cute, kwanjin.
My son and gson tending the fire while ice fishing last April. They've had good luck this past month and kept us in fresh fish.

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.