Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #137 Sleigh Bells Ring....

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 250, Views: 2,010
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5901186

We are continued from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/931439/#new

ice on crabapples - ice storm Christmas Eve, 2004

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5901195

Thanks Jules...

Hope everyone has a great day!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5901210

I posted this on the Recipe forum, in the Crockpot thread, but thought I would put it here too... this was inexpensive, and SO good!
I download a wonderful food related audio podcast to listen to on my iPhone (which has an ipod in it) called "The Splendid Table" it must be a PBS radio show. It is everything I wish the Food Network was, LOL.

About a month ago, they interviewed a man who judged BBQ contests across the country. He was asked what the home cook could do to prepare a good BBQ at home, if they did not have access to a pit etc. He said - he does his in a CROCK POT! He uses Liquid Smoke. The interviewer was appalled! He explained that Liquid Smoke is not full of chemicals like many think, but is an all natural product, and is in most BBQ sauces etc that you buy. Anyway, I tried the simple recipe that he gave, and it got 5 stars from my Mom, my guest, and myself.

I wrote this from the podcast, so pardon the not so professional sounding directions.

Make up several tablespoons of your favorite dry rub. If you don't have a favorite, he suggested equal amounts of kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and dry mustard. I actually used less salt and pepper, and added some Emeril's Bam mix I had made up, plus some Stubb's Lime Chili dry rub I had on hand.

Use 4-6 pound Pork Boston Butt, which is a pork shoulder. Rub all over well with the dry rub. Place in crock pot.

Pour over with 1/2 cup of liquid smoke. Put lid on, cook on high for 6-7 hours, or low for 10-12 hours. Internal temp should reach 190. Or, until fork inserted makes meat fall apart. DO NOT lift lid at ALL during this cooking time! He said don't poke it, don't stir it, turn it, look at it - just forget it!!!

Remove meat from pot. Use juices to help scrape hardened bits from side of crock pot. Briefly put juices in fridge to bring fat to top. (I have a gravy separater - I put in that - but there was very little fat) skim fat. In mean time, shred meat with two forks - oh, sorry I mean **pull** meat... LOL... Put juices in pan on stove, add a bit of cornstarch to thicken. (Guess you could use flour) Add meat, heat through. Make sandwiches, or eat as is.

This meat was SO tender and flavorful! We actually bought another pork roast, made it a few days ago, without the rub or smoke. We used chicken broth instead of liquid smoke. Just to see what it would be like. My elderly Mom lives with me, she is 84. She has a hard time chewing any meat that is not really tender. She wants all the meat cooked in the crock pot now! The unspiced pork was really good too - we ate it with rice, and then the left over we shredded and made sandwiches.

Kimberley - I can relate on the car expense. I have spent almost $1000 on mine in the last couple weeks. I dodged another $1000 - one of the main computers went out and it was just barely under warranty. Another 1100 miles and it would have been on me. I only have one car, so I don't have a choice on repair.

I got shocked yesterday - my hairdryer transformer blew up in my hand that has the RSD in it. Big old fireball !!! My hand was covered in black carbon stuff. Didn't knock me on my butt, but close to it. My hand is still tingling this morning. Looks like the cord broke where it went from the dryer into the transformer block thing. Man, scared the you know what out of me. Nothing like a good electrical jolt to get the RSD fired up. Didn't do the doctor thing, cause figured they couldn't do anything for it anyway. I don't have any actual burn - just a red spot about the size of a nickle with a small black spot. With the RSD having my pain nerves on edge anyway - this really has me going !! It HURT! Feels like when I went to the shooting range with my Ex recently and shot a revolver that was to much for me!

I used to do a lot of target shooting when we were married. He's BIG into target shooting. He goes all over, even other states to shooting competitions. Even shoots against SWAT guys. I have not been able to shoot since the RSD attacked my shoulders - can't lift my arms up high enough to site a pistol... but between my Ex and Blackwing Shooting Center north of Columbus, they have set me up with laser sites on my target pistol, gloves that absorb shock and a new way of holding the gun. I can now shoot again! I had to give up so many of my hobbies, that it is fun to have one of them back again! I know it's odd to think of a woman who likes to shoot, but target shooting can be really fun, and I am (was) really good at it. The woman instructor at Blackwing works with physically impared people and was full of good ideas for me. I never thought it was something I could do again.

Well, best get busy, time is flying! Nice coat of ice out there today. Wanted to go get the rest of my x-rays done today, but maybe Friday. To slippery today.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5901304

Good morning to all.
Jules...that pork sounds good! I will have to try it.
Here's another woman that used to shoot. My dad had an NRA rifle range when I was growing up...so I learned there. He had a 4-H club that was a gun club. It was fun! And then...Dave and I used to go target shooting too. Haven't done any for a while though.
Well today is cleaning day...plus 'my boss' wants me to get the wrapping done!! I sooo don't want to do that!!
Bonnie...our wintery mix didn't even come till late afternoon. Now we have ice everywhere! I'm staying in!
You all have a great day!
cheles_garden
Edmond, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5901471

Jules that does sound good. Quick question...you mean your Pork Butt is really a shoulder? LOL! Made me laugh.

I actually know many women who shoot. I got my CCW from a gal over in New Philadelphia who is a national winner - sounds like your ex. She shoots competitions and against swats, etc. That's a different league for me though. I'll have to tell my DH about Blackwing - we live in Dublin - just moved a year ago.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5901674

Hey gang! Yeah, I know - been gone so long you probably thought I'd dropped off the face of the earth. Almost.. :) Just been running around like a little chicken with her head gone, and keep forgetting to get on and say Hi! Still no word on the substitute teaching gig, but I'm beginning to think it may not come through as they just announced they're closing 6 elementary schools here, so there's probably a glut of subs already. So...gotta get out and see if there's anything at all left that I can apply for and try to get some bucks in here.

It was great to meet Ric Lector and his lovely wife this past weekend. Both sis and I laughed at the fact that there was a LAMB, IN close to where we met! Nora's one of those folks that can't handle eating anything with big eyes, so when I told her that Ric was getting two of sis's lambs she promptly told me she wasn't going to go meet any more of the new ones when they're born, can't stand the thought of them being on someone's plate. So...she's limiting her visits to the alpacas - LOL! Sis is a breast cancer survivor, and got 4 alpacas from her plastic surgeon as a gift. He is not only one of the best surgeons around, but he's a real sweetheart to boot - not like a lot of surgeons I've met or she's worked with (she's an OR nurse, currently working for a vet).

WAY TOO COLD here for this little California transplant. OK, it's been 30 years since I lived there - but they were the formative years, ya know? The ones growing up where you learn to think that anything that requires a jacket is cold! I still believe that anything below 60 is too cold to warrant tracking...

Got a nice little sheet of ice on everything here still, so no errands today (I'm in a piggy swap, and am a couple days late getting my seeds in the mail - I'm a bad kitty).

I've been busily cross-stitching like a fiend to finish some gifts for the niece and nephew - it's a homemade Christmas this year. Stockings for the adults, and gifts for the kids. We're looking on craigslist for an old beatup lawnmower or something of the kind for my 12 y.o. nephew as he's just hitting the age where he wants to tear apart engines and put them back together. We figure this will keep him occupied and away from all the engines on their farm that need to work properly. Here's a pic of the piece I just finished for the nephew, and will follow with the one I'm working on for the niece.

Hope everyone's doing well, staying away from frayed electrical cords, not getting firewood in floppy sandals, and not getting too nervous about any heart/health issues - everyone is held close in our hearts and prayers!

Robin

Thumbnail by dryad57

dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5901688

Here's the one I'm trying to get done for my niece, but I'm not holding out hopes - too much backstitching to finish in just one week...I'll fess up on this one too. She's 18 - as is this cross-stitch! I started it when she was born and didn't get it done in time for her first Christmas (she's an August baby) so I put it aside, and put it aside...and now she's 18...and it looks like she'll get it for graduation - LOL!

Thumbnail by dryad57

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5901697

cheles_garden, you have d-mail
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5901702

Being an avid cross-stitcher, I have a lot more patterns than I'll ever finish, and I've always got multiple projects going - and actually some finished - LOL! Here's what the dear niece is going to get in case I can't get that angel finished in time. I loved doing this one, even though it's crammed with nasty backstitching and french knots (I HATE french knots...) (And Ric, I found a great pattern for a sheep - on ice skates - that looks like I can knock it off in a couple days - that's going to sis - buwahahaha!)

(Don't look too closely at the beak - HA! I prefer to do stitching on tiny little things, so whenever a half-stitch is required I have to get a bit creative, and it was a little wobbly for that beak.)

This message was edited Dec 17, 2008 1:55 PM

Thumbnail by dryad57

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5901775

Wow, Robin, your cross-stitching is gorgeous! Anyone would be thrilled to receive them as gifts. And since teenagers truly need a guardian angel to look after them, that would be an excellent gift to give her now.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5901782

I want to be Robin's nephew! "whine"
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5901846

now, now George - on the other hand, whining does seem to get a response, doesn't it? - LOL!

Thanks KyWoods :) I've been cross-stitching for many, many years, and at first was a bit cautious about giving them as gifts - not everyone likes the "crafty" stuff - ya know? But I like to do things where the stitches are so small you can't see them, which sometimes drives me to the edge (that whole eyes bouncing around thing) but when they're done I personally think they're kinda cool. I've done some angels for very close family friends (Mom's friends), and the one I did for her I gave to her very good friend at the assisted living place after she passed. I knew it would mean as much to her as it did to me and Mom, and I wasn't sure I could handle looking at it again. On the other hand, I do have the snow birds and covered bridges I did for Mom and Dad as gifts years ago, and find myself smiling whenever I see them.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2008 3:11 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5901905

Robin so good to see you. We have missed you !
not much here today
got hair done , went to wally , got some junk food , tasted bad blach :P
still trying to convince T we need a 50" plasma tv LOLLLL i think i almost got him .
bbl
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5901952

Robin...chile where you been? ♥

Your crossstitching is amazing. That looks smaller than 18 (if I remember the number from my cs days years ago)...don't know that I could handle that!! Glad to see you back.

Sue...did you get any cookies????????????????????????☺
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5902051

I been cross-stitchen' Aunt Cookie! And running errands, and the usual stuff, ya know? It is indeed smaller than 18 (for those of you who don't stitch, the number is "count per inch" - so 18 is 18 squares per inch). I usually work in nothing smaller than 22, and prefer such things as 30-32, and for special things will stitch on linen. Yep, I have a floor-stand magnifying lamp that my parents got me, otherwise there'd be no way I could do this anymore. Here's one of the covered bridges I did YEARS ago for Dad. And then I promise to quit bogging down the thread with pics :-)

Thumbnail by dryad57

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5902093

Hey Robin! Good to "see" ya :-) Lovely work! I love needle work.

Speaking of holiday recipes, one that came from my Grandmother on Dad's side was Transparent Pie. Must be an old recipe, I have only seen references to it in a couple of cookbooks. Its very similar in flavor and appearance to Chess Pie, and its pretty close to the Chess Pie recipes I've found, so probably just a different name for the same pie (and a weird one too). Every Thanksgiving and Christmas there were several of them on hand, and rarely any leftovers. Mamaw's hand written recipe offered no instructions.
Transparent Pie
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup sweet cream (I assume that's heavy cream, so thats what I use)
2/3 cup butter
2 T flour
1 to 1 1/2 t vanilla (good, real vanilla makes a difference here)
2-9" regular pie shells
Bake at 300F for 1 hour

I've found the texture is best when I cream room temp butter with the sugar, gradually add the eggs, then the remainder of the ingredients. I usually turn the oven up to 325 the last 15 minutes, or leave it in for a little longer- sometimes its not quite set in an hour, and I like for them to be golden on top too

Slurp...I want one now, LOL!.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5902108

Hi Neal :) That sounds a lot like a custard pie. Mom loved those, so we have various recipes - from the real thing to the quickie kind.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5902142

It is very like custard pies I've tasted, but this is more buttery...and richer, hehehehehe.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5902667

ooohhhh...I can feel my cholesterol going up just reading the recipe - hee hee hee...

Do you do the pre-baked crust (you know, brush with egg yolk and all that) for this pie to keep the crust crispy?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5902673

I'm back home, Safe and ... I have to question how sound!

I skipped reading the last 2 days but will try and read them tomorrow.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5903308

Robin!!!!! Hey You!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5903525

Evening folks, I have to agree about the Transparent pie, sounds more like a custard one. My chess pie recipe only has butter, eggs, sugar, and vinegar in it. But it does sound very good. You can make a basic custard, leaving it like vanilla, adding brown sugar insead of white to make it butterscotch, use white sugar, adding cocoa and make it chocolate, using the white sugar, and adding coconut, and making a coconut cream pie. Very easy to do.

Robin, good to see you back, and loved your pictures of the cross stitch. I used to do cs, but my eyesight is too bad to manage it anymore. Recently I came across some in a box in the attic that had been finished, but never framed. So one of my winter projects will be to get them framed.

I am another woman who is a target shooter, and a darned good shot, or was. It has been a long time since I have been. Sounds like this group better keep their words sweet and don't p*** off these women here!!

Darius, you can't just pop in here and tell us you are home, without telling us about the tests and the results!! Get yur hinney back in here.

Today was grocery/errand day, and the traffic and crowds in the stores was horrible. I know it isn't gonna get any better until Christmas is over.

I am going to Georgetown tomorrow to poke around in some antiques stores. DH has a cousin that we always buy Christmas gifts for, and she is one who has everything. I have no clue what to get. I do know that she collects Roseville Pottery, and I am hoping that I can find some of that. Also there is a stained glass supply store there, and need to pick up a few things there too. My DTS is meeting me there, and if nothing else, we will have lunch and visit.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5903586

I am home safe too... Last night was a fun trip home!! NOT!! No more than 20 mph all the way down I-75 on the Ski slope...Took me an hour to do a 15 minute drive...I beat Cookie home today... LOL ..I got home at 3:40 and made a 45 minute stop to get the white fluffy thing, aka Anemone, in the Salt tank...Sorry for the cwappy pic but best I can do tonight...You can see the 2 Tomato Clowns just below and to the left...and if you look realllly hard, you can see some of the snails...I got some really good tutoring from the owner of the shop, and I think I am ready to tackle the tank this weekend...

Prayers for Lana today, and good results for Darius...

Welcome Home Robi...You have been sorely missed...as have you Velnita...I passed by your house last week on my way to Childrens from Fairborn...:-)

I have my Mason guy at 6am in the morning, so I hope the predicted freezing rain holds off as 3/4ths of the way to his house is 2 lane, very hilly and curvy, and not one that would be salted that early so it can be very treacherous, not to mention the dozens of deer to dodge...
I remember it well from last February...Can be a really skeeeeery ride...
I backed down about 75 yards on a hill at the VA at 6am today on sheer black ice...Thankfully I had the curbing to set my wheels against once I realized that they had unlocked the gates, but never salted...I made it 3/4 of the way up, and went immediately sideways...NOT good... brakes don't work on black ice, nor does the accelerator...Can't get up, and can't stop or hold...I turned the wheel to get my rear to bump the right hand curb and then turned again to parallel it, and eased the way back down holding the right side wheels to the curb, and back out the gates...Once I hit 3rd St and the salted street and I was secure again, I *skated* to the Gates on foot, and shut them and then went around to the main tower, and had Security get the salter down there...Somebody was gonna get hurt , and it was almost my Wheelie...

Oh Yeah.. I forgot to say... Bons is right...I took the NRA Jr Championships as a Marksman at age 11 and I have the medal to prove it...I am a crack shot to this day and shoot 100 straight in skeets...Before Gen Westmorland passed away, he and Gen Schwartzkoff and me and a bunch of others held bi-annual shoots down in FL...They threw me off the Gunnery range after 2 hrs in basic once they figured out I could outshoot my instructor...Daddy started me shooting the caps and then the handles and then the necks off the old glass Clorox bottles floating down the creek when I was about 6 yrs old...If I missed and busted the bottle, the shoot was over for the day...I hated that, so I got really good, really fast...LOL

Bedtime for Bonzo here...~~~~~~~ to everyone, and Huggs to all...
Stay safe!!!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2008 11:07 PM

Thumbnail by DustyDS

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
11:13 AM

Post #5904050

Robin, I've never prebaked the crust, but I bet that would be good. If the crust is prebaked, it would be a good idea to cover the edges with foil afterwords to keep it from over browning.

Bonnie, I've done them with chocolate and coconut before and they were really good, but I hadn't thought about the brown sugar for butterscotch. Good idea! When coconut is added, they're very like what I've seen called French coconut pie. Very like a custard, just more eggy and buttery than other custards.

Dusty, your salt tank sounds exciting! I love reef tanks and all the colorful salt water critters.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5904306

YAY on the sw tank Dusty! I had one for years when we lived in Chicago - it was a reef setup too, and absolutely loved it. Sold off the critters and reef to a couple of folks a while ago (actually right after Mom and Dad moved into the condo building, didn't have time for the tank anymore) but loved having it when we did. I've got some pics around somewhere, I'll dig one up and post it so you can see the critters I had. A clown, a yellow tang, a very independent anemone (liked to wander around the tank - every now and then it would be in a different spot), and some sort of really neat snail thing that came with the reef rock. Glad you made it through all that nasty weather!

Hey ya Toni! Glad to see you had a nice trip out and a safe one back! (Shame on you for peeking...)

The only lessons I had on shooting was from my Grampa, and involved a slingshot. I got to be pretty dang good with one of those things. Good enough that when my brother got an air gun in high school I went out and popped a few cans, and told him he needed to correct the sight as it was off to the right :) I've not fired a gun in years, but I bet I could still hit the near side of a far barn - LOL!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5904632

Bonnie... I won't know test results until June, unless they are bad. It was a liver scan since I'm at very high risk for liver cancer. The gal DID re-do some shots in one area, but I choose to think it was operator error and not anything on/in my liver.

Today, I start a blitz on my main room (library, living-room and bedroom combined). The non-skid piece I had under an old oriental rug turned to a sticky mess and stuck to the hardwood floors, I took up part of it by hand with steel wool but that would take forever to do it all. A neighbor suggested either alcohol or mineral spirits. I trashed the oriental rug, but the non-skid residue is a major dust collector. But first, I have to get up all the cat fur... maybe make some kitten britches, LOL!

Be back later...
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5904832

darius - I wonder if either that Goo Gone stuff or those Mr. Clean Erasers would work?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5904841

Goo B Gone kind of stuff works... BUT (1) it's largely benzine or toluene, both carcinogens, and (2) it would take a LOT for the entire floor! I just tried rubbing alcohol... takes up the dirt but not the residue. Off to get some mineral spirits...
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5904944

egads! I had no idea it was full of such nasty stuff! I wonder if WD-40 would do anything without hurting the wood? But that's an aerosol too...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5904956

I use the Mr. Clean erasers, and they're good for stained sinks and countertops, and getting scuff marks off floors, but not really so good for gooey or sticky messes.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5905139

Hey everyone
not much here. went to Dr. . Same old same old . She officially called me " PRE MENOPAUSAL " THE NERVE !!! of her.
Nice tank Dusty. Love them fish. Piqua has a nice salt water selection . The pet store by wally on 36 ?
well nothing exciting here.
stay warm
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5905193

Well, the mineral spirits works! Only problem is the town hardware only had 1 bottle on the shelf, and in a small size at that. So, now I need to drive down to Bristol to Lowe's or a paint store... grrrr. I sure won't get it finished today.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5905330

Don't you just hate that? Getting a good start on a project and then discovering that you need more "stuff"...glad to hear the mineral spirits work!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5906242

Whew, the job is half-finished, except for 2-3 spots that need steel-wool + mineral spirits. Now to move some furniture back for TV and sleep (later).

On my trip this week, I made a detour to Walton's Mountain. The museum was closed for winter, as was a nearby craft shop. However, the tiny town had a lovely church... with a For Sale sign. The photo isn't very good because it was raining and darkly overcast. Pretty church, anyway.

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5906253

Around the bend from the church was this dam. The derelict buildings at the side (not shown in the photo) look to be an old grist mill, and a stack that looks like a shot tower, but smaller scale.

I'm sorry everything was closed... I REALLY wanted to find a cap that said "Goodnight, John-boy"!!

Thumbnail by darius

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5906274

Wow, what a beautiful place, Darius! Is that the dreaded kudzu vine on the church?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5906311

Nope, it's ivy.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5906436

I am having an identity crisis...am I Mid-Atlantic? Am I Ohio River Valley? Am I North Eastern? SERIOUSLY!! :)

I am a southern girl recently transplanted to Morgantown, WV. I really love the landscape here and enjoying real seasons...although my fascination with snow is dimming!!

I had only just begun in Alabama with the gardening...raising six kiddos left little time for outside care. The last two years I have really enjoyed working outdoors to make the home more inviting. The herbs smell wonderful and the flowers are breath taking.

I waited till we moved to put in the daylilies...BEFORE curtains were hung I had 25 daylilies snuggled in the ground and covered with fresh mulch. BUT that is all I have in my yard ...we have done some dirt work and added 20 loads of dirt and fill...seeded and have beautiful grass.

We have a blank slate and I have been making notes and drawing out ideas...but really have little experience.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5906508

Heny, I have the same problem. I live more-or-less closer to the Mid-Atlantic folks, but my growing zone is closer to ORV. (Even the Old Farmer's Almanac puts me in ORV, LOL)

Welcome, anyway!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5906609

Henygirl, DL's before Curtains?...you're definitely in the ORVG!
As Darius says it's all about the conditions!
That and being somewhat slightly crazy but HEY that's a condition!
Welcome!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5906826

Evening everybody, been gone most of the day. Met DTS in Georgetown, went to the stained glass supply store, and got a few items I need, and then browsed the antique stores, had lunch, and then headed back to Frankfort to do a little bit more shopping. I got home about 3:30, and immediately DS and his SO stopped by, and then a neighbor, and then another neighbor. DS and SO stayed for supper, which consisted of mainly left overs, but the kettles were cleaned, so evidently good left overs.

Tomorrow need to do some cleaning, and then need to get a stained glass project finished, as it will be a Christmas gift.

DH is at the hospital, they called late this afternoon and they are moving DMIL out of the hospital, but so far have no nursing home space available for her. So will see how this all plays out tomorrow.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
11:15 AM

Post #5907437

Welcome Henygirl! You're in the right place :-)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5907446

Sue, your curry powders came back to me- yay, they're not lost! I'll get 'em back out on Monday.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5907638

Welcome Henygirl...what's your name? Jump in and join the crowd!!

Morning everyone...leftovers for us last night too.

I have a busy weekend ahead of me. The last of the shopping has to be finished up. Bill's family dinner is Sunday at noon so those presents have to be ready and then Dad's choir program is Sunday night at 7:00. I'm so glad he feels good enough to be singing again. You'd be surprised how good a choir of seniors sounds!

I was right the kids all want brisket for dinner on Christmas so a Sam's club trip is on the schedule for me today too!

Bertie was promising me cookies but when I went there, she wasn't home...so I went cookieless last night. I know you're all feeling sorry for me... :O)

Darius...those are gorgeous pictures. Wouldn't it be fun to live on Waltons Mountain!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #5907643

Cookie, how do you prepare your brisket?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5907664

Well, Neal...I bake it and then the last hour I put a barbeque sauce on it. Then refrigerate overnight, cut and reheat with another sauce. If you want the recipe, I can get it for you.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5907672

I sure would! Chilling before slicing is a good idea. Seasoning is no problem, just wandering the best way to cook (oven temp and how long).
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5907694

My name is Heather. I have actually made a few intro messages in several forums...so yall might think I am a little 'spread' out. BUT really I am just southern :) I love folks!! ♥

I can tell ya I am ready for Spring...already, cant believe it, we used to PRAY for snow!!

How do yall turn off all those ideas in your head when you can do NOTHING about them for now?

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5907700

Goodmorning, Everyone! Just popping in to say hi! Started going stir crazy being cooped up, but looks like a bit of a break today...the snow and ice are now gone and it's raining, but it's 62* out there this morning with what feels like a tropical breeze! YEAH!

Heather, start a notebook and write down ALL of your ideas! Mine is a 4" binder, with pages printed from the computer, notebook paper with handwritten info or drawings and pictures out of magazines.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2008 7:54 AM
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5907800

Heather, I'm all over the place here too. Thought it was a gemini thing, but probably a southern thing too, lol. I don't turn those ideas off- they get me through the winter! I love using the cold months to research, plan new gardens and improvements to existing ones, look at all the new catalogs, and swap and bum seeds. Give it a little while and the gardening addiction will hit you full force, and you'll be doing it every winter :-)
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5907831

I must be doing it right then. I started a file that needs to be organized into a notebook. I had ordered a 'starter' with 25 DL in it. Those I put in the ground in Sept ...those I have on a spread sheet and marked with Popsicle sticks and a graph of them as well. I found pictures of what the DL are supposed to look like and have them in groupings as they should appear in the beds.

I have pictures of all four sides of our new house so I can draw in ideas. I bought myself a regional book for ideas too. So from what yall are advising I must be on the right track.

Next question HOW do you 'budget' for all the ideas!! :)
valrita

December 19, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5907854

Dryad, your stitching is beautiful. It really is. If me eyes were a little better, I'd like to do something like that. But in the last year, I've developed the problem of my arms getting too short...and need glasses soon. Can I be your niece?

Dusty, nice saltwater tank! How are the pups doing? Hubby had a rough time the other day getting home with the ice. I hope we don't get any more of it.

Darius, I didn't know there was an actual Walton's mountain! How cool. I'd love to visit it. The church is beautiful.

Welcome, Henygirl! This is such a friendly group. Don't worry, quite a few of us frequent more than one regional forum. I'm a regular lurker on the Northeast region because I grew up in NJ and I plant some of the same things they can. But this is my home group. I'm ready for spring too. Got a catalog from Bluestone yesterday but I can't order anything. This is a dangerous time of the year for my credit card. I have to go to a local nursery today for some Wilt-Pruf. I'll try to be good. I'm already peeking at on-line nurseries and have lilies and roses dancing in my head. Again, Welcome!!!

Hey, Toni, did you get the icy weather like we did?
Good luck Taynors on the plasma!

Hubby brought me home a 500GB external hard drive yesterday for my pictures. I'm so happy. This puter was getting so slow. I only had about 7% free space left. Now I can take all of the pictures that I want to next year. YAY!

Anyway, I need to go get my errands done before I lose my motivation. Greetings to everyone I didn't mention by name! I'm still here, quietly lurking and thinking of you all.
valrita

December 19, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5907870

Budget?
LOL.
I simply have a small credit card with a $500 limit. I don't want a higher limit on it. The interest is low and I don't mind being that far in debt. When the card is full, no plants. If I want more plants, I have to pay it down. It may not be the best way to budget but it works for me.

I've heard great things about Coops here on Dave's and wanted to join one this winter. But I'm not sure if there will be any more coops.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5907930

Coops are still going strong... :O) You can get lots of cool stuff for great prices...trust me I KNOW this!!!!
valrita

December 19, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5907959

Really? I know they were stopped for a short while in November. Glad they're back. I'll have to go look.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5908040

I have glads coming and some perennials in the Spring. Just got some gloves...they are fabulous...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5908077

Joyce I thought the coops were stopped, but the ones that had spring shipping will still be allowed to finish them. Is you information the latest from Dave?

Cleaning here this morning, I think inside I could put on shorts and a tshirt, but don't think I will, as I always have to run outside to do some things.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5908154

Velnita i got great deals on peonies with a coop.
Neal yeah , I m happy. LMK on the shipping and i will reimburse you :) thank you my freind :) .
raining here and i got another sick kid "ack" poor thang. Just coughing up a storm.
Helloooo Heny glad you could join us. :) welcome !
wow there is an actual Walton MT neat ' o i love that show. I still watch it when i can get it on the TVLand channel. I love that show, i miss it . That is when tv was good . Hmmmm *sigh*
I think i have to move my peonies. I got them from a coop and planted them in Oct ? and used heavy mulch. But the delivery guys are cutting it short and i m afraid they will run them over . Should i transplant while the dirt is wet and not frozen or i was thinking of just making a fence around it. Hmmm
take care
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5908172

Hi, everyone and welcome, Heather! Neal, call it Southern, call it Gemini, I call it ADD -- at least in my case! LOL

I've nothing much to report...The conference call never happened because my boss was home sick the day it was supposed to occur. Last I heard from her, she was waiting for a call from someone about it. So, who knows when I'll start back at work. I like a lot about my boss, but she's flaky and doesn't finish things. It's hard to say whether it's really corporate or if she's just gotten behind and hasn't taken the initiative to get things rolling. If she's not in dire need of staff, it's not a priority, I'm sure. I'd like to start making some money again, but at this point it won't break my heart if I'm off until after Christmas.

There's no word on the Jetta yet. I keep hoping for it to be some small thing like a sensor, but it's a long shot.

Tonight my friend Jen and I are going to a pizza crop at the scrapbook store. A bunch of my friends will be there, so it should lift the spirits. It'll be good to get out and visit. Tomorrow, Howie and I are going on our yearly double date with our friends Keith and Ivana, heading over to Easton Town Square. We're having lunch at Mongolian Barbecue, doing some window shopping, and getting coffee and dessert somewhere. It'll be fun once we get going, but right now just thinking about it makes me kind of tired!

Well, off to read some e-mails and the latest tech news. I must have my geek fix for the day.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5908181

P.S. Darius, Howie would love to visit Walton's Mountain. We've both read the book the series was based on, and last year I got Howie a behind-the-scenes kind of book with all kinds of things about the cast, crew and Earl Hamner. They really did love each other like a family. We have seasons 1-6 or 7 on DVD and Howie watches them a lot. A LOT. ;)
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5908245

Welcome Heather! You'll fit right in with this wild and woolly group :-) And I'm with msrobin and gemini - keep those ideas flowing into your notebooks, you'll be surprised at how many more pop up when the catalogs start coming next month, and how many ways you'll want to tweak things when you can finally get to playing in the dirt.

Thanks Velnita - sure, you can be a niece, there's just no guarantees that you'll get cross-stitching and not a bunch of questions about your personal life - LOL! DN is very patient with me, and I try very hard not to pry. Of course, her mom fills me in on the big stuff, isn't that what moms do?

I think I recall a discussion about that brisket last year - in fact, I probably have that recipe too! Aunt Cookie, didn't you make two of those and they disappeared in something like 5 minutes?

No more coops? Boy, I really was off of Dave's for a long time - too much outdoor stuff. If there are no more then my guess is someone was probably taking wild advantage of one and Dave got one too many complaints. I supposed if someone wanted to do a coop again they could do some dmailing and round up people and then buy the stuff themselves and post it in the ads section - but then there's no guarantee they wouldn't be stuck with all that stuff if the other folks decided not to buy. Pity, those coops were great.

Darius, those pictures are something else. I can't show the church to Nora though, she's always dreamed of buying either an old church or an old fire department and rehabbing it to live in. The ivy would be the kicker - you can tell that church has been there for quite some time.

Sue, I'm a big one for not messing in the yard when the soil is wet as it is not only far too messy for me, but the dirt gets all compacted and such (unless it's really an emergency). I vote for a small fence - probably with sharp things on the top :) to encourage folks to take a short detour. When we bought this place the seller showed us where the postman always tromped through the yard (rather than walking around) and complained that some of her plants were always getting stomped. I drove around the neighborhood and could see the trails the postman was working in everyone's yard, so I decided to join those who caved in, and that's why the yard now has a stepstone trail through. That was the first thing I did when we decided to replace the grass with a cottage garden. I don't think he's realized that path was put in just for him - LOL! It did put a structure in for me to plant around, so it's working out OK. The neighbor dog (BIG golden) loves to run around the paths when he escapes out their front door to come visit us, it's so fun to watch him tearing around in circles. I never knew that goldens could be so conscientious about plants! Can't remember if I put a pic on here or not, don't want to bog down the thread any more than I have with pics :)

Aunt Bons, glad to hear your DMIL is out of the hospital, hope she continues to improve, in spite of fact that she needs to go to a nursing home facility.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2008 11:24 AM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5908281

The coops were temporarily stopped but they had such an uproar about it and accused Daves of just wanting to promote the GardenMarket that he relented and cautiously reopened them. This is the second time they have been stopped and reopened so this is absolutely the last time if they have to close them again. So everyone is promising to be good...

Robin if you have the recipe could you get it for Neal cause I'm at work and it's at home. I looked for it in a search but I wasn't successful in finding it. You're right I do have to do 2 for the immediate family. I had hoped last year having two that we would have some leftover for sammies, but no such luck! I'm just glad they love it so much.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5908290

The co op forum was closed for a time, but due to popular demand (or maybe a better term would be outrage) it was brought back. Evidently bringing monetary conflicts to administrators, and speaking ill of other members due to co op conflicts on other forums had become an issue. I sure hope everyone can behave and we can keep them going. There's no way I could have afforded all the stuff I've gotten otherwise.

Sue, I agree with Robin. The fencing is probably the best idea. Digging when its wet can mess up the soil, especially if there is high clay content. Sandy soils aren't such a big deal though.

Heather, keep an eye on the seed and plant trading forums. Members are often offering things for postage. You can also pick up bulk seed and split packs up for something to trade with. Do you have a Lowes nearby? I've had great luck with clearanced plants there. You may want to check out the Wintersowing forum too. Its a great, inexpensive way to start lots of new plants, and so easy. I've had to garden on a shoestring budget for years, and have learned so much as a result.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5908311

Gotcha covered Aunt Cookie! (I LOVE the search function on Windows...) And in re-reading this recipe I think I may have to keep my eye out for a brisket - LOL!

Western Beef Brisket

6-7 lb. Beef Brisket

Day ahead of serving:
First sauce:
1 c. catsup
6 dashes Worchershire Sauce
4 dashes Tobasco Sauce
3 tsp. vinegar
2 Tbl. brown sugar

Wrap brisket in aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes per pound. During last hour of baking add first sauce above. Refrigerate overnight. Slice against the grain.

Reheat in oven with the following sauce:
2nd Sauce:
1 cup catsup
4 Tbl. vinegar
4 Tbl. white sugar
4 Tbl. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. liquid smoke

Heat through. Usually about an hour.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5908346

Where is the best place to post my pictures of the sides of the house I have some questions about? I think I want some tall stuff...which I have zero experience with and I want to put as many DL in as many areas as I can...this is a strange addiction, the DL. :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5908417

Post them right here.
Or you can start a thread and post them there.

Rcic

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5908863

Thanks Rob...I just picked my two briskets up at Sam's. I like the ones from the butchers much better, (leaner) but for the price difference I can't do it. Especially now that I need two to feed everyone. They are 14 pounds together so hopefully that will be enough!

Trust me Heather...as soon as George, Jules, Jazz and Badseed get on here you are going to have daylily information coming out of your ears!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2008

Post #5908900

Ooohh, that sounds really good! Thanks for posting it :-) A woman I used to work with made a brisket she smoked in a smoker with a similar sauce and served it with fresh homemade salsa. More of a summer recipe, but I like the idea of using the liquid smoke in the oven anyway because I don't have a smoker. Hmmm...I bet a balsamic barbecue sauce would be good on that too.

I like to do corned beef on New Years, and would like to try brining my own brisket sometime.

Darius, I just feel like you've probably done that. Gotta good recipe?
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5909009

Hey everybody!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5909418

Neal, MaVie brines her brisket, and you should start a thread in the Recipes forum where she hangs out. I've never tried.

This floor project is getting the better of me... not the floor itself, just the extra aggravation. I drove (again!) 45 miles to Lowe's today for glides for the futon legs so I don't scratch these nice floors. Naturally, I didn't look at the legs before I went, and consequently bought the wrong size/kind... wrong enough I can't even make them work! Sigh.

But the trip netted me a new cell phone... free, but I had to do a new 2 year contract, same carrier, same price; I just hadn't had a contract in 2-1/2 years since the old one expired. My old phone (5-6 years?) developed a wonky junction for the charger, so charging was iffy and sometimes impossible. Do you know how hard it is to find a cell phone that is JUST a phone? Impossible, except maybe the prepaid phones. This one takes pictures, but I passed on the $45 cable to download them.

Back to my floors, and Edith Piaf cd's...
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5910004

Okay I started a thread with my pictures...it is sortof lengthy! :O

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5910033

Darius sounds like you might need a redneck for some help. may i offer "DUCT TAPE " LOL but seriously i m sorry its not working out for you on them things .I can imagine how frustrating it is . . HMMM any felt laying around ? I must confess that i have card board for my furniture legs on our hard wood floors right now LOL . glad to hear you got a new phone so the trip was not a total lost :)
Robin good to know on the dirt . Yes i think we are going to go with a fence or just some post and paint them orange !!!! as in metal posts !!
Hey Toni how things ?
Huh coops are not going well Huh. I can understand why. They got a bit catty and snitty some of them peps . The peony one got a bit crazy and some peps just got so nasty ! ? I hope it goes better this time around You can save so much and get great deals.
not much here today, went into town got some grocerys yeah exciting ! not.
take care everyone
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5910073

Evenin y'all. and Welcome to the ORVG Family Heather...

I made that nasty Brisket last year after Cookie posted it, and Jim said it was so bad he had to eat it all to get rid of the evidence...LOL...It is no wonder the family loves it... it is really outta sight and definitely a special occasion meal...
Neal...if you want to use Balsamic, I would suggest you do that in the first sauce...I think it would be too much for the second sauce, and use cider vinegar not white vinegar in the recipe too...
You know I do spareribs in the oven year round...I use Sweet Baby Rays sauce and when I open the bottle, I take off the cap and add a teaspoon of liquid smoke and shake it up real good...Then I add the sauce I need to a bowl and add my other things that I doctor it up with...Jim likes the sauce from the bottle with just the smoke in it for his hamburgers instead of ketchup...

This looks to be a fun weekend for me...I am going to try to get the guest room cleaned up, and finished, get my drapes hung in my bedroom, and take a load of boxes to the Salvation Army tomorrow, and go to the dollar store for dog food and laundry stuff...
Sunday I am going to play in the saltwater tank...I can't wait to get at it...

I will get something for Jim and I for Christmas dinner, and next week I will get a Ham for us for New Years...We share the Ham, but he gets green beans and mashed potatoes, and I get Black eyed peas and greens...All I need is the ham, got all the rest...
I am getting him the makings for Manhattans for his Christmas prezzie, and I will get a jug of Southern Comfort for me...LOL

I bought myself 6 brand new pairs of black socks today for $3.49 a 3 pak at the Goodwill in Springfield...They are a bit higher up on the leg than the ones I have, and will go right with my new Easy Spirit black short boots for $2.99...I am tired of stepping in puddles, and my black oxfords letting in water when it sloshes over the cuff...I also found 3 pair of thermal pants for $1.49 each to go under these thin pants I have to wear...My legs freeze to pieces when I have to be out in the wind...and my right knee with the steel rods in it makes the bones ache like crazy when it gets cold...
I got two Christmas gifts this week from patients...One gave me a beautiful angel, and the other made me a pair of Santa earrings from Polymer clay...They are adorable!!
I took crotchety Ole Earl an afghan for his lap in transit, and he cried...
I will look for a warmer coat for him tomorrow at the Salvation Army...He gets so cold and he's 88 yrs old, and nobody cares...

I found a Family to adopt for Christmas today...but I will have to be sneaky...This is my patient I had all day today for 3 appts from Springfield to Dayton and home...When they came out from the first one at noon, they said that the people had set up for them to get some food from a Church in New Carlisle, but it had to be picked up between noon and 3pm...Their appt in Dayton wasnt until 3pm, so we had plenty of time...I took them there and they got some food...When they got back in the car they said now they would have besides rice and noodles to eat this week...She has cancer in remission, and a brain tumor, and he is recovering from a work injury that caused a broken back...He has at least 5 surgeries upcoming...They get very little in assistance until their Disability goes thru...and they don't get their food coupons until the end of the month...They smoke the same brand I do, so I bought them a carton of smokes while I was waiting for them on the last appt, and buried it in the bottom of their food bags...I am going to make a Christmas dinner fixins basket, and add a sack of dog food and a sack of cat food for their two 4 leggers, some important paper and laundry goods, and sneak it up there and sit it on the porch after dark...and hopefully run like the wind before I get caught...Neither one is medically allowed to drive, and it wouldn't matter anyway, as their car has a blown engine...His insurance pays for us to transport them...They live way out in the country, and have no way to get to the grocery or anywhere else... They are the age of my kids, so I decided to adopt them...They are sooo upbeat and always laughing and asking for nothing...A very worthy cause if there ever was one...I am going to raid my cupboard for some extra food too...Being a Cancer, I am a hoarder of food, so I have extra things I can spare...Dollar store is good for replacing soups, coffee, tea and canned veggies etc...He likes tea...she can't live without her coffee so I will be sure they have that and creamer and sugar and flour etc...I know they need milk, as he said to her that he looked for powdered milk for the cereal they gave them, but he didn't see any...I just drove and listened and my heart broke for them...
See George?? This is what you were talking about...Decent people who have had a catastrophe happen to them, through no fault of their own, that are trying to survive...I have been there, and am still sort of there, but I will share what I have and do what I can for them...I am going through my clothes boxes to see what I have that will fit them, as he needs a coat and some shirts, and she needs a coat too...Cookie gave me a ton of clothes for the Vets, but I will see what I can get out of there for them first...plus what I have collected...

Okay.. I haved bored you all to tears enough.. I am going to go play Canasta on Pogo...

Hugggs to allll !!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #5910108

Dusty how can i get some things over to them ? LMK. i got a load of boxes of stuff and i m sure they can use some things ?
Hmm what t kind of jacket does crotchety Earl need ? and does that family need some sweaters ? I can get my hands on some ! in mint condition !!! still new too. :) unless she took them already to the goodwill, i will check on it.
Sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5910159

I can collect it Sue.. By Law, I cannot divulge their location but I will be most grateful for any help you can give...She is about a 12/14 and almost as tall as you, and he is shorter and a med to large shirts and coats...His jeans were kinda baggy, so no guess on size but he is built like T so maybe about the same????

Crotchety Earl needs a Parka kinda coat that gives him a hood to cut the draft off of him...about T's size I'd say... he is smallish...He always wears a ball cap cause nobody will get his hair done.. He is black, so needs special care...He likes it short and tight...I may have to go do it myself...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5910173

I wish I had shoes sizes... I have alot of shoes, and tenners etc, that need a home or can be bought at Goodwill...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5910189

Dusty, you are a keeper, for sure! I've been collecting toys for several weeks, just need to find a family or organization to take them. I can do food, too. So many folks are in dire straights about now... I feel so blessed to have a roof over my head, and many friends who care about others.

I'm up to about 75% of the floor finished! Looks great so far. Worst traffic area is yet to be tackled. Sue, I have felt for the legs, but the dang thing is SO heavy the felt wouldn't stay put to move it. My sis came down the hall to see what I was doing (and no doubt see what smelled so bad)... she said, "What are you doing? It's not spring." As I have finished sections of flooring, I have also washed down everything including the walls. Robin (msrobin, not Ric's Robin) can attest to the chaos that has been living in that room.

Y'all like this lil' guy? He's so adorable, I guess I'll have to see the movie!

Thumbnail by darius

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5910270

Ohhhh Darius!!! He's adorable!! I LOVE Meeeses!!!

Call your United way if you have one, an offer the toys.. sometimes they won't take anything but new...Call the local Vets Posts and ask if they need anything...I know they will be grateful...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5910289

No United Way; I haven't noticed any Vet's Post, Legion, VFW... but there ought to be something around. Thanks.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5910302

Evening folks, I was home all day and that in itself is a rareity. Cleaned the whole house, paid some bills, and then made a really good supper. Fixed some pork chops in the crock pot with some onion soup, mashed potatoes, tossed salad and green beans. DS and his SO have been here for 2 nights to eat, so last night was a collection of left overs, and thought tonight I would do a good meal.

Dusty, bless your heart, you are always helping out people that really need it. There is a special place in heaven for you.

All this talk of brisket, is making me hungry. My plans for Christmas still aren't firm. DS and SO have to work, until 8 on Christmas Eve, so we may have a bunch of finger foods instead of a meal. DGD will not be here until Christmas Eve either, then we go to DH's cousin's for Christmas dinner.

Heather, welcome to our little group. You are gonna have to come meet the gang at the spring RU, then you will be hooked for sure. Could you give us a link to the thread you started? Are you asking for suggestions about what to put out? I have many daylily seeds, mostly NOIDS, but would be happy to share them with you. I have many daylilies, but regretfully, my markers got moved 2 summers ago, won't go into the whys of that, but have identified most, but still have some that I will be working on again this spring.

Robin, sounds like a paved stone path should help with the mailpersons wearing down your yard. I have given up trying as all the dogs here decide where the path will be, I tried putting stones along that path, but they then changed their route. I don't want my whole yard to be stepping stones.

Sue, gosh, seems like you have at least one sick kid all the time. Hugs to you and to them. Going to school has it's drawbacks, mainly germ sharing. Hope they are better soon.

Darius, sorry that you made the trip only to get the wrong thing. I know what you are talking about looking for just a cell phone. I don't want all the gadgets on one, but I may have gotten the last one about a year ago that is only that. Your project seems like it is going well, and hope that it won't be long before it is done.

Tomorrow need to go to the bank and library, and will be picking up some last minute food items.

~~~ to everybody I didn't directly address, no slight intended.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5910305

Surely there ought to be something.. Even Salvation Army who I KNOW would be grateful for any donations... A church with a soup kitchen maybe???
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5910350

I dunno bout Heaven ((((((Bons)))))))...I have been a really naughty girl...
But I do know that when a fellow human being is at the bottom of the abyss, and I see it, I will do what I can to pull them out...GrandFather told me many moons ago, that it is my responsibility to help those in need, so I do what I can ...When we were in FL, I collected coats and blankets all spring and summer and early fall from the Thrifts and Freecycle to give to Vets and other Homeless I found freezing on corners in our cold weather...Now I just collect humans if they are ex military, so I can get them medical care and other needed help..The VA Domicile cringes when I show up, but I can't leave my Brothers and a few Sisters on the streets when they need help...

This boy (age 42) and his wife are not Vets...but they DO need help... and I will never allow someone to go hungry...I would rather do that myself than see that happen...I just do what Creator guides my heart to do...I need no Kudos

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5910367

Here's Heather's Thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933785/

The company decided to have the Christmas Party Tuesday at our division in Milford.
(Most of the 130 employees there haven't been to our shop.)
They are even renting buses to get them over to the catered affair.
We had some small projects they wanted done
so I've been cleaning and painting and rearranging all week.
I thought I would be micro-managed but was really pretty much left alone.
Even the ladies from our home office have been hands off.
THAT scares me...
They sent over 4 boxes of lights... for a 30,000 square foot building... LOL!
I'm SURE they will have some ideas when they pop in Monday to set up the tables.

Off to the Family Christmas tomorrow!
Ric

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
3:32 AM

Post #5910501

Thank you Ric!

The suggestions so far have been amazing. I have added a few things to my Spring Wish List...and not all of it plants...some structural things as well.

I start packing the family for Christmas vacation tomorrow...will pop in off and on till Monday afternoon...just in case yall notice me missing later in the week! :)

Off to do more research...I guess the winter is good for planning after all.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5910570

The UPS Store very close to us is owned by a pro football player who graduated from the local high school. He bought two UPS stores for his parents to run, and he gives a lot back to this community (really nice guy). One of the things he does is collect Toys for Tots at his UPS stores year-round, so Nora and I are always on the lookout for things we can get on the cheap for kids. We try to keep an eye on their box to make sure it's never empty - kind of like salting the pot :) we figure if there's something in there it will trigger others to donate as well. Nora especially loves doing this - I think she's a little Secret Santa at heart - or maybe it's her height and she's an elf - LOL! (She's ALMOST 5'1").

Dusty, I've got a few tops of Mom's left that are 1X and a bit larger - would any of those work for your gal folks? I can send them to you if you think they can be put to use over there.

Sis surprised me this year and told me she wanted sugar cookies for Christmas! She loves them when they're not quite done (nice and soft) WITH icing, so I'm poking around for a good recipe, then off to the store tomorrow to gather the ingredients. I think I may make some biscotti for my DBIL as he's a true coffee freak, and likes to dunk his donuts, but is trying to drop weight. I'm thinking the biscotti will give him some Christmas dunking, but not be so hard on his arteries.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #5911124

Goodmorning, All! Wide awake at 4 am, so here I am checking in!

Not nearly as nice this morning (at 35*) as yesterday morning, but that's okay with me. Suppose to get up close to 50 today, before the temps start taking a nose dive. It got up to 70* yesterday, so we were able to get outside and get the rest of the yard and garden cleanup done, so we are ready to plant next spring. Yippee! Took some measurements to expand our gardens (to start a market garden) next spring and added those to the drawings I have been putting on graph paper the last few days.

Darius, I didn't see a single thing wrong with your library. I loved it just the way it was...cozy!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #5911193

Slams heel of hand into her forehead...Dusty...we rent the building in downtown Franklin to the Freestore!!! Geesh why didn't I think of that earlier? They're only open on Wednesday and Saturday though.

I've got to get busy...have a lot of things I need to do today. Bill's family has their Christmas Brunch tomorrow and I have to get pressies wrapped and oh my you should see my livingroom with wrapping paper, boxes and bows everywhere!

♥♥♥♥Love you all!!♥♥♥♥

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5911288

good morning everyone.
wow msrobin you got some nice warm weather ! we got some but it rained all day
YOU all are so wonderful !! with your giving wow. I have been so depressed lately and just reading about all of you guys doing wonderful things has just lifted my spirits ! wow.
darius sounds like you got things going with the sticky stuff . I bet the smell is much better than if you had used a harsher ingrediant. ?
what a great idea mineral spirits , who'd of thunk ? i use vinager and lemon juice for alot of my cleaning and it drives T crazy LOL
speaking of T here he comes , got to get dressed "ack"
big wave to everyone ~~~~~~~~
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5911336

Heather, your house is just screaming for witchazels. My house is set on a hill by a woods, very much like yours. The house is a lot older and smaller, but I think the plants that would work would be similar. I've lived here over 25 years, and have tested a lot of things. Maybe we could start a d-mail thread and I could suggest some things. I agree daylilies are wonderful plants, but looks to me like you need some year round height. I have some daylilies that bloom at 5 feet - but they only bloom for a few weeks - and then you have the foliage at 3 feet the rest of the time - and nothing in the winter. Trees like sweetbay magnolias give you interest almost all year, have nice vertical shape, and can be planted near a house.

One thing I will say is don't order any daylilies from anywhere... or buy any from Lowes etc. You are better off going to local sellers. You go to their garden when the daylilies are in bloom. They will give you really great deals, bonus plants, free plants - "here, take this with you too" plants... and, it is so much better to go and see them when they are blooming, have them fresh dug, take them home and plant them. Badseed, who posts here, is one person I'd recommend - but she may be a ways away from you. I looked up Morgantown, and one woman who seems closest to you who has a really nice garden, and I have known for many years, is Lee Underschultz, Little Hocking, Ohio
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4534/
They have a day in bloom season where there are several gardens on tour in their area. I can send you her email - she could send you her list and info on that tour. There is another garden in that area, Ashwood Gardens - but he stopped selling general plants open garden a couple years ago - I think he only sells more expensive plants, and mostly by mail now.

Well, Mom is up... we are going to finalize our holiday dinner menu and then off to the store.

Waving to all - everyone have a good day!!!

Jules
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5911402

Good morning gang! I'd made a note to watch the news this morning as they were imploding the RCA dome, supposedly at 9:00. Of course, it was delayed (no one told the trains they had to be out of the way), and then the TV xwitched to a camera inside, and they hadn't thought that through well either - the camera was on one of the posts that had one of the first TNT bundles to go off - LOL! So we got to see the first few go off and then there was the delightful multi-colored bars showing "no signal" - ROTFL! It was great to hear the news anchor scramble to explain why we got to see the tail end of the demolition and then had to wait for them to cue up the tape.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5911419

Good Morning!!!

I'm up, slept well, had my coffee, and now ready to make a trip to Lowe's for something to keep my futon legs from scratching the wood floors. THEN, I'll tackle the remaining portion of the floor and BE FINISHED TODAY!!! (God Willing..., LOL) While I'm out, I'll go by my storage unit and get the still unwrapped Christmas gifts, some gift wrap, and decorations. Too bad we don't have room for a real tree...

Our highs (temps) will drop 15º today, another 15º tomorrow, and yet another 15º Monday, so it's back to winter. I'm thankful for the respite, though.

Have a wonderful day, and if you are out on the roads, be careful of all the (other?) Crazies out there!

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5911567

Jules, I would be very interested in an exchange with you. So you found my thread then with my pictures?

I am really excited...will use paper and pencil to get my plans from my head to a plan...it is easier to erase than to dig up! :)

I have a 'look' in my head that I would love to come true...but I also know it will be years before I get that look.

Yall are just great...a few more minutes on here and I need to finish up the Christmas shopping.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5912844

Creator Bless the ORVG Family!!!!

Ric & Robyn showed up here with Cookie and Bertie, with donations for my Kids...

It is all loaded up, and Jim and I are heading out to deliver it...

I will check in when we get back...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5912888

Hooray!
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5912901

Yippee!! Now don't go having so much fun that you forget to check back in :-)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5913303

We're Baaaaaak...

BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 21, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5913319

Dusty tell Jim thanks for the book and Herb has started reading it.
It was nice meeting Jim finally. Have a great weekend and get rested up.
BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 21, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5913326

Ric and Robin good to see you guys again and am looking forward to summer when we can get back to gardening. Have a wonderful Holiday.
BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 21, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5913335

Cookie!!!!!!! you had better put a lock and key on those platters. Have a
good day tomorrow.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5913595

Thanks Bertie... Jim says back atcha...Thank you soooo much for your donations for the kids, and all of our goodies too...

We got up there and I carried that bag with the Bundt cake to the door and handed it to Robin...said Merry Christmas...She looked stunned that I would drive allll the way up there to bring them a cake...LOL...
I said y'all need to come to the car...I unloaded the 2 cartons of food and the one of clothes out of the back seat, and they were floored...Then I opened the trunk, and it brought Gerry to his knees, and he started sobbing...Then Robin started, and all I could hear was Thank you God!!

It had not been a very good day for them today...Robins Mom had a stroke this afternoon, then the landlord showed up less than a week before Christmas and said if they didn't have $50 by tonight, she was going to start eviction...Then WE showed up, and while we were unloading, the neighbor came over, and said his Mom had a cash under the table electrical job for Gerry to do, and they were on their way over...The poor guy started shaking so hard I thought he was gonna pass out on me...

I opened the fridge and the freezer to start putting the perishables away, because Robin was about to fall apart, and there was nothing but an old milk jug with water in it, the jar of jelly bout 1/3 full, and about 3 tablespoons of butter left in a little bitty tub...I am not kidding you..There was absolutely nothing else in either the fridge or the freezer, and all they had on their shelves, (There are no cabinets) was the little bit of canned goods they got from the church, and the rice and noodles they already had...That was it completely...
I took laundry stuff, and she hugged me to pieces...she said she had about 2 weeks worth of laundry to do that she had had no soap to do it with...They are sleeping on a mattress on the living room floor to stay warm...
R&R think their house is tiny...It is a mansion compared to that one..They have one room upstairs they can't use, the living room, bath and tiny kitchen down, and that is it...The bath used to be an old porch, and the shower is like mine in our basement, with a toilet, and no sink...bare wiring, you name it...
Talk about not being able to swing a cat...You couldn't swing a mouse in there...The house is leaning severely, which has popped the window and door frames, so the cold is coming in...It should be condemned, and will be, once I get them out of there...I told Gerry to start collecting boxes and start packing...Once they are out of there, I am calling the Clark County Housing Inspector...I can't risk them condemning it until the kids are out...but I can guarantee you, that landlord will never collect another dimes worth of rent from it...I wish there was a way to sue them for unsafe conditions...

My heart feels good...but it will feel better when I have those kids out of there and into a safe home where they can start fresh...Creator will find a way for me...Time to send lots of Smoke...

Tomorrow is playday for me...I am gonna get into the Reef tank, and raise some algae... LOL

Y'all have a wonderful Saturday night !!!

Hugggggs

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5913617

Dusty what a wonderful Christmas story...

It is truly what the season is all about!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5913636

Dusty, so glad that you had help with the food and donations. What horrible living conditions for them, this earth needs more angels like the 5 of you.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5913667

Dusty, maybe you could nominate them for an Extreme Home Makeover?
Edit: Wait, I think they have to own the home to be eligible. The landlord needs an Extreme Attitude Makeover!

This message was edited Dec 20, 2008 9:32 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5913834

Yeah Renee` ...gotta own the home...I thought about that too...Habitat is an option, but they have to put in 400 hours of work...Thats fine, but they still have to have a place to live in the meantime, so I am on the prowl...
If they are down here, I can get to them...and Clark County is really giving them a hard time anyway, so I am praying we can do better for them here in Warren County...

((((((((((((((BONS))))))))))))... Nuff said...
I bought some bacon and sausage and some fresh meat, and a small ham for Christmas...I got the Yams and green bean casserole stuff and Mashed taters and gravy...Forgot the dern rolls, but I did get a box of Bisquick...I bought a sack of onions, and one of taters...Crackers to go with their soup, beans and cornbread...Butter, milk and eggs, and pancake mix, oatmeal, stuff for a pot of Chili, cooking oil, salt, dog and cat food...They got tea and coffee and coffee filters, TP and paper towels, dish soap, laundry soap and lots of canned veggies and soups, and I got them a couple meat included Boxed meals, stroganoff and chickenstew with biscuits, some pot pies, frozen broccoli etc...Oh yeah, and a bag of dog cookies ours wouldn't eat...Scooby was thrilled to pieces!!!

Have wonderful Sunday everyone!!!! I am off to my shower and rack...

Hugggs
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5913891

(((Dusty))), you are an ANGEL!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
7:58 AM

Post #5914287

Dusty, thats so wonderful, it made me cry. A beautiful holiday story. My prayers are with them.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5914454

Well, Sis I'm glad you made their day and it sounds like it turned around a little for them with the job as well. God was watching out for them through you and some others...It truly is what Christmas (and everyday) is all about. Glad I could help a little.

I was blessed with COOKIES from Bertie first (yummy) and then Ric and Robyn brought an awesome plate with a ton of stuff on it! That Robyn!! With all that she has been doing on the back room, she still made an awesome plate with cheesecake thingies, bread and lotsa cookies!!! I will lock them up Bertie!!

Bertie, tell Jim he left his cup here. I thought you were stopping for it yesterday, but guess you were just sightseeing! ^_^

Christmas with Bills family today so I've got some stuff that needs a doin..

Have a wonderful day all!

Edited cause I didn't think you'd know what a ron of stuff was!!

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 9:40 AM
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5914509

Happy Winter Solstice everybody! Tomorrow, days start getting longer...yippeeee!

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 8:15 AM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5914671

yeah and spring is on its way too .
sunny here today and a heat wave of 0 lol well its 14 but with our wind chill its 0 . "ack" kids and i are still sick and feeling icky.
We went out to eat and i had two glasses of wine "ack" im a lush and a light weight at that too. sheeesh i m a cheap date . LOL
Ric you mentioned you had a 52" tv ? could i ask where you got it ? i have some other questions too , if you don't mind ? thanks
Dusty what can we say ? there are angels in heaven and then there is you :) we are lucky to have you here on earth with us :) and all the people who have helped with this family. Bless you all.
stay warm everyone

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5914775

I seriously doubt my Creator thinks I am an Angel...I do believe people and critters need food, and if someone is starving through no fault of their own, then I will share what I have, and I am not too proud to beg for help for others either...I didn't even have to do that...Cookie and Bertie stepped right up and offered...It's just what people do when someone needs a hand UP, not a hand out...
BertieL
Franklin, OH

December 21, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5914811

Cookie, I sure can tell you are one more busy cookie. The last time I looked
my husband's name was Herb. Ha Ha
Yes we were sight seeing for Herb's log splitter. He was going to loan it to the neighbor across the road. See Ya
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5914851

Yay Dusty!!! Now that you're on the case I'm sure things will be taken care of for them :-)

Woke up to a phone call from Sis, their septic is still giving them fits from tree lines - and she realized it's probably due to a switch in TP brands, so she asked me to swing by Costco and get them some Scotts. That should look great under the Christmas tree - LOL!

I'm hoping to hear back today from someone on Craigslist who had a "dead" push mower - I want to give that to my nephew for Christmas so he can tear it apart and put it back together again. It's wild how many lawnmowers show up that are busted and how VERY quickly they disappear - it's almost like a scavenger hunt!

The rest of today will be more cross-stitching, and working on drying out the basement. We have a bunch of carpet tiles down there (the FLOR brand) which are great, but the water wicked through each and every one of them, so nearly everything in the basement needs to be shifted around while picking those up. They're propped on their edges to let the water drain from them (they have rubber backing), and then they have to dry. After Christmas I'm bringing the nephew back up with me, and he's going to help me load them onto a little hitch thingy I have for the back of the SUV and we're headed to the car wash - we'll hang them from the side and wash the hooey out of them, and then bring them back home to dry again. Nora's rather apoplectic about the whole thing, but I keep telling her it's something to expect with a basement like ours. 'Tis life :-)

Hope y'all have a wonderful Solstice!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5914984

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Now the days will get longer and our gardening outlook much brighter!

We had a marvelous time visiting yesterday.
Well AFTER we waded thru the Mall Traffic! LOL!
Kenwood Mall was backed up 2 miles onto the Hwy...
Tri-County... 4 miles of ramp backup and 2 miles into the Hwy... at 1'ish PM.
We had set up w/ Joyce to surprise Dusty.
We were very pleasantly surprised ourselves to find Herb and Bertie there too!
(Bertie's other husband Jim had I guess snuck off...)
After a loud and rambunctious pooch greeting we had a great visit.
Meanwhile Dusty snuck off too...
We popped in and saw Jim...
He looked remarkable... pink color not grey...
AND for the first time since we met him he stood straight and tall thru the whole visit!!!!
It was sad not seeing my buddy Chooch...
but the new little rascal has all the earmarks (do Pugs even have ears?) of being a Pug God too.
Then Dusty returned and we did in fact surprise her too!
After a way too short visit we scooted up the road to my Sister and BIL's for Christmas Dinner.
Cyndi lives maybe 2 minutes at most from the DG girls so it was an easy drive ;-).

I hope Bertie, Cookie and Dusty can talk their S/O's into coming to the next RU.
You will really enjoy meeting and visiting w/ them.

Ric

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5914996

Hello everyone! Things have been hectic here too. Kids are sick...so no cookie baking for them with Grandma today!
Seems every year now they are sick at Christmas time. Hopefully, it will be over by Christmas day!
Youngest son is having a hard time with work...like a lot of people. He works partially on salary..partially on commission. There have been NO commissions because of the enconomy. ( People don't rent cars when they have no money!) But the big bosses don't understand that. Of course they are too far in debt...so things aren't good for them!
Oldest son will probably be laid off soon...as he works for Baher sp? in Dayton...which builds parts for Chrysler. Thankfully, he has only himself to care for.
So far daughter is ok at the bank...but she just broke up with a long time B/F...so she isn't real happy either!
Ah well...such is life I guess. I just feel for them all!
Of course...Dave is worried too...about what will happen with the auto industry...and our insurance...and our retirement!
Ok...enough of that.
I am getting better each day with the walking...and the pain...and that is a GOOD thing!! I am very thankful for it.
I do still get pretty tired by the end of the day...but then...I am old...so guess that is to be expected!! :))
Dusty...that is wonderful that you guys were able to help those people! I am sure they appreciate it more than you will ever know!
Well...Dave says he has some shopping to do today...and I am going to try and bake a few things while he does that. (He doesn't want me along! Imagine that!!)
I hope you all have a wonderful day...the sun is shining here!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5915098

'Tis the Solstice, Yippee! Yeah, yeah, I know it's the "official" start of Winter... BUT it's also the start of our days getting longer, so we'll all be gardening again before ya know it. :)

Dusty, none of us do those types of good things to feel heroic, or for a pat on the back. I think we do it just because it makes us feel better to help, and to recognize how fortunate we are to have the ability to share however much or little we have. I watched the History channel a bit last night, about the forgotten (or un-included) books of the Bible. I forget already now whether it was the Coptics, or the Gnostics, but they believed in the God within. Perhaps it is a little bit of Whomever Created Us within that impels us to love one another?

On a less-philosophical note, I did finish my floors, except for some spot clean-up and re-arranging today. It's hard to get a good photo, but here's a shot... Now I want to paint my aunt's old china cupboard (upper left corner in the photo) a satin pearl black, which I have here. It's pretty wood, but very soft, and in bad shape from the 5 rambunctious kids she had.

My stereo is behind the lower doors and Joseph (DG friend's DH) has promised to come hook it up for me. He hooked up my DVD player last week, so now I have music cd's, and a few dvd's to play although the tv speakers are terrible. My stereo has decent speakers and I hope he can run everything through them. The open upper shelves hold some of my oriental dust collectors and a satin pearl black will show them off nicely. I bought new blinds yesterday too, just need to hang them after I clean the windows.

I'm invited for a few days over Christmas with my best friend Bud. It's about a 5 hour drive, and he's off work all week. I used to see him 1 weekend a month (my house or his) but since I moved to Virginia, I've only seen him maybe twice. I am ambivalent about going even though I have gifts and goodies ready to take. Sigh.

Well, blinds aren't hanging themselves... BBL

Thumbnail by darius

dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5915318

That's a drop-dead gorgeous floor Darius!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5915335

Thanks... I really like it. I didn't like the contrast of the walnut pegs at first, but I do now. Here's a close-up showing the wood grain and pegs better.

Thumbnail by darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5915367

Georgous ! love them pegs.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5915457

Those are so prettiful!! I like the contrast...if you decide to stain that china cupboard you were talking about I would stain or paint it the darker peg color...gorgeous. But all woods match...look out in the woods...thats proof!! :)

I am doing laundry and packing ...thank goodness it takes some time in between loads so I can veg in here!! :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5915458

Darius .. you have done a beautiful job on that floor...I do love that pegged plank look...

I have been working on the Reef tank all morning...Got all of the extraneous pumps out of there, and got the big Fluvall 404 cleaned up and out and 50% of the filters changed...Can't do em all at once or it kills off the good bacteria...I did my PH and ammonia/nitrate/nitrites/salinity tests and all is well on the water...I stirred it up quite a bit cleaning the inside sidewalls, so I am waiting for it to clear some so I can pull alot of the reef rocks, put them a bin in water I am siphoning off the tank...Add some of the new water for the partial change, and rearrange them a bit, top off the water and it's done...
I cleaned off the backsides of the glass from the salt buildup, and will vacuum that all up here shortly...then get the big Fluvall hooked back up under the cabinet, and this puppy will be sparkling in no time...
Dori and Smokey aren't speaking to me at the moment, but Emmett and Kelly the 2 Clowns are still trying to nibble my fingers...LOL

Back at it.. see ya inna bit...

Edited fer speelin'

This message was edited Dec 21, 2008 2:23 PM
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2008

Post #5915564

Floor looks really nice Darius! My kitchen floor is nailed with square cement nails. I like the looks of it really well. And there is NO finish on my floor! It' made from poplar ...very hard wood. I just damp mop it...and it comes clean! By no finish on it...it has darkened with age...to a nice patina! But when my DH and DB laid that floor..the dog and I had to go outside...every day for a week! The noise was incredible!! Don't think I would want to go through it again! I have been thinking...and cajoling (DH) to putting down wood floors through out the downstairs..taking up the carpet. Haven't talked him into it yet though. He thinks it will be a lot colder in here? The kind I want would have finish on them though. It's either that or new carpet soon!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5915723

That floor is gorgeous! We weren't so lucky when we pulled up the carpets in our house. Someday we might re-do them, but with all the furniture having to be moved and all that jazz, it won't be any time soon!

Our trip to Easton with our friends was nice. Mongolian Barbecue is *yummy* and a good value at lunchtime especially. What also stood out was the friendliness of the employees. It was a good day out with friends.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5915775

Oh Darius those pegs were the first thing that grabbed me, they're awesome! I like the idea of the black satin finish on the china cupboard. Oriental pieces will look beautiful on it. I've been planning to paint a couple of chests of drawers, that we got cheap from a second hand place here in town, satin black, with some free hand accents. And I've been trying to figure out a design for some built in shelves for the woodstove room. I have a collection of Oriental reproduction blue and white porcelain I display in there, and I'm thinking a blackish slaty blue would work really well. I saw a pic in a magazine of a built in that color with white pieces displayed on it, and it was stunning. The walls in there are going to be a terra cota color.

Darius, also wanted to add, your words above were beautiful.

Dusty, I can't wait to see pics of the tank all teaming with life! Dave used to be in to salt tanks, and has expressed some interest in getting back into it. I'll talk about yours as a gentle nudge, LOL.

Marcy, your floor sounds really pretty! If ya happen to think about it sometime, I'd love to see a pic of it. The big nails showing and the lack of finish sound really cool! I think it was Cottage Living, or something like that, where I saw the painted built in, and your floor sounds like something out of that magazine (they had a lot of nice ideas).
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5915790

The floors in the 2 rooms that comprise the original log cabin here are pine. We've peeled up the carpet in the woodstove room, and it will be pretty, but will definitely have to be a primitive look. Its soft wood and whoever laid the carpet filled it full of staples when putting the padding down. Along with age it has had abuse, but it is sound, and kind of pretty even in its present state. Just getting the staples out and cleaning made an amazing difference.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5915798

ROFLLLLL Neal... Here is where I am at the moment...Better than 50% of the rock is back in the tank...Stirred it up again...so the Fluvall is hard at work...LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5915814

I see the kittys are in full investigation of the fish tank . LOL and are hoping a fish might be dropped ? naughty kittys

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008

Post #5915841

Neal, the paint I'm using is a Benjamin Moore 'Regal' premium 100% interior acrylic, Pearl Finish. Just has 'black' written in magic marker on the lid, no number, and of course I don't have the chip anymore. I think you'd like it, it's really a nice soft black, not a black black. I'll post a photo when it's finished...

GW, the rest of the floors here are just chipboard, which were under the old pet-stained carpet I removed the day I moved in. I painted the floors just so they would repel dirt a bit better. Eventually, we'd like to install wood floors throughout, but these sub-floors are all buckled or swelled in spots (pet urine) so it will be a really big, nasty job.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5915982

LOL Sue... Yeah .. Peaches is checking out my work..I didn't move any fish so she is flat outta luck... LOL
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5915998

Neal...I will have to look through my pictures and see if I have a pic..if not..I'll take one soon. It was just sickening...but under this floor was UGLY brown and gold linoleum. We started to take it up...and found out the floor under it was heart pine! HOWEVER...that linoleum was glued down with this nasty black goop. Dave said ok...I'll get it off. He spent several days...on ONE small spot. Finally he said...NOPE...I'M DONE!!!!! Soooooo...a young friend of ours had made a floor like this in their antique shop...and he told Dave, if he would come help him, he would get the wood at his cost...and he and Dave could shiplap it there in his shop. (He is a fine woodworker).
So that's what we did. The whole floor didn't cost us that much...can't remember offhand the price...but I know it was cheap! Our friend and Dave just went to the lumber mill that is not too far from us...and got the wood.
Ok...back to the cookie making!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5916109

Marcy, too bad you couldn't find a suitable product to take the black goop off the heart pine, even if it meant sanding it off. Heart pine floors are so wonderful!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #5916132

Look at the Mourning Doves nesting at the base of the tree...They are all hunkered down...There are at least 30 of them all up here against the house...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5916197

They know a good yard when they see one :-) Nora spotted a cardinal at our bird feeder - thank goodness they finally found it. It's dropped to 7 degrees here with some nifty wind. Makes me REAL glad we don't still live on the lake in Chicago, that would be absolutely brutal. I remember my senior year in college (Purdue) walking to a morning class and ducking my head against the wind and closing my eyes - they froze shut. That helped me decide I was starting my career south of the Mason Dixon - LOL!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5916253

It is soooo windy and cold. The windchimes have been clanging non-stop since the wee hours last night. We have a set of the long pipe kind. I feel bad for anyone or any critter who has to be out in this biting cold. I know Minnesotans and other zone dipping people think our prospective 0 degrees is a heat wave, though! LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5916603

YOU WENT TO PURDUE?????
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5916650

Yep! Twice :-)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5916753

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! I wanted to go there!!!! They dint have my Nursing Master I needed so I got stuck with WHYOLLA!!!
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5916802

Yeah - I remember somethin' about you goin' there - Nora went there - same campus! She was all tickled about that when I told her. Funny thing is, I originally wanted to go to USC, but it was too many bucks so I went "in state". Don't regret it at all - other than those nasty winters! Majored in theater design for a while - was drinking buddies with the woman who wrote "Thelma and Louise" while she was there. Great gal from Padukah. (That whole Six Degrees of Separation thing is wild sometimes...) Big irony there is she was originally going to be a landscape architect - go figure!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5917035

Robin, Robyn wants to know if you were Thelma or Louise?

COLD here but BRUTAL it appears up at Marcy and Dave's.
And I know there is about no wind cover there so doubly Brutal.
I agree w/ Marcy the floors there are quite lovely.

Darius you did a spectacular job!
Beautiful!

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5917069

It is eggggzactly 3.9* with a wind chill of MINUS 17* and a 20 mph wind out of the west...I still have to go swap vehicles tonight, and have to be in Springfield at 6:45 am...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5917101

brrr, it is cold here, but since we don't have a thermometer, I don't know exactly how cold it is. The weather in Louisville at 6:00 was 15, with a wind chill of 3.

Went to church this morning, then had to go to pick up DGD this afternoon. So was very glad to get back inside to the warmth.

Darius, that floor is beautiful. It is a shame that some people don't appreciate the wood floors and cover them up with something that takes real work to get up, and then cleaned up.

Marcy, your floor sounds beautiful too. My DTS lives in an old house, and has poplar floors, and she refinished her kitchen floor about 2 years ago. She had someone come in and sand it, but she put down a polyurethane finish, and it is such a pretty shade, and it authentic about 100 years old. She had carpet on it, and had really forgetten how pretty the original floor was.

Also, her house has the wide old woodwork, and of course many years ago, spring cleaning meant that you put another coat of varnish on everything. She over a course of several years refinished all the wood work in the house.The wood work is oak, and is a pretty honey shade that just glows.

Everybody try to stay warm, and if you don't have to go out, don't. If you do have to go out, be careful.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5917145

HA . I beat you all Urbana is - 23 with wind chill :P No idea on the wind speed. maybe 30 it is howling !!!!
Dusty be careful out there , ya here's me woman !! For us non educated people "what is WHYOLLA " ? LOL i went to culinary school !!! yeah that degree got me far in life LOLLLLL actually i fell in love and that is my story LOL HA.
Ric to funny , Yes Rob i agree are you A. Thelma or B. Louis ? i think i would be Julia Roberts character ( trampy trashy girl ) LOLLLL
WHere is Badseed ? i hope she is doing ok .
off to watch tv . :(
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5917155

I am bundling up Sue.. I'll holler when I get back... Gottsa fuel the car and then go swap and get my paperwork...Should be about an hour round trip...Roads are clear, just freezing cold...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5917238

Darius...I cried when we couldn't get those floors finished! But Dave tried a lot of things...and he finally said he just couldn't do it! And we couldn't find anyone to do it for us either...soooooo! But the heart pine is still there...lol!!
Thanks Ric! I originally was going to poly the kitchen floor ...but never seemed to get around to doing it. There was sooooo much work to do here, when we moved in. We didn't even have a heating system. Well..it had space heaters...but I wanted a furnace and central air. So we did find a company to do that for us right away. They had to run ductwork under our floors and upstairs too. There is only crawl space under here...so let me tell you that was a job! They had a little skinny guy that went under to do the pipes...lol!! And he said it was nasty under there! I can imagine...since this place was built in 1900.
Bonnie, we have the old wide woodwork too...but ours is painted...and I like it that way. This house is a story and a half...and very cottagey. So the painted look fits.
Our weather radio just went off a few minutes ago...telling us there was a wind advisory...and not to go outside with any exposed skin! We went out for supper, and I tell you...we like to froze! The wind was horrible...and it was already down to 5 above...temperature wise.
I was sorry I didn't have something prepared for supper here!!
Well..I have made carmel corn, Amish sugar cookies...carmels in the microwave, and have dough ready for Christmas cut out cookies tomorrow. I am pooped!!
Joyce...I remember we both made carmel last year...on the stove. I found this microwave recipe...and it works!! Soooo much easier!!
We give our kids money for Christmas...and I wanted something for them to put under the tree...so I got these BIG glass jars at wally...and filled them with carmel corn w/peanuts. Then I will also give them a tin full of cookies and candies. I think they will like that as much as anything. But I am not making a lot of different things this year. We don't need it.
Promised Dave I would make his favorite...peanut butter cookies...and I will make some choc chip. These are the things every one likes here.
Well...I hope you all keep warm tonight...and don't go out if you don't have to!! Sending warm thoughts to everyone...and waving~~~~~!!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5917244

Forgot to say...Neal...this floor is about ten yrs old now. When we bought the wood, it cost around 300.00 Dave said. It's a big kitchen...and that was cheap then! Dave went over and helped our friend plane and shiplap the random width boards...and then my brother helped Dave lay the floor. It was worth it. We have enjoyed it. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow for you.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5917340

HA! You know, I never even stopped to think of who she might have modeled those two after, and never thought until you brought it up that I might have been on her mind. I do vividly recall the auditions for one production that really hissed her off, and to which she referred in the Time mag. interview of her when the movie hit the screens. It was "Madwoman of Chaillot" and the director (student director, actually) would only cast blondes, and then only as the hookers. REALLY ticked her off. Me too, as I'm brunette and he wouldn't even consider letting me read...cretin. If I had to guess, I would say I was the rowdier of the two, as my best friend and I were both brunettes (Carolyn is a blonde), and I was NOT the reserved one of the gang :-> Pretty outspoken, now that I think of it...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5917485

It is 1.4 with a minus 19 here now...I can tell you one thing...That Wheelie will be started the minute my feet fall out of bed in the AM...
It takes forevvvvvver to warm up...I made it all the way home and it still was barely starting to warm...I stayed in the dern car while I fueled it... That wind is bitter, straight out of the west at about 20+ mph and it was spitting snow in Moraine...

The reef tank is really clearing now.. just looks milky, not green anymore, and I can see quite a bit into the back now...Doesn't look like it is gonna be alot of tweaking on the rocks...All of the varmints seem to be doing just fine, but I haven't seen Dori yet...It took her a week to show up after I got here so may be another week now that I have terrorized her... LOL

I am off to a scalding hot shower and my rack... gotta be up by 4:30 to go get Crotchety Earl in Springfield...then off to Indiana...

Have a great day tomorrow everyone!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
5:15 AM

Post #5917530

Too funny about you and T&L... The whole 6º thing fascinates me.

I have just awakened; I didn't intend to fall asleep watching the tube... don't even know what I was watching, certainly nothing very good! But, I needed to bring enough firewood inside for the night. There's a pile on the porch just by the door, BIG thanks to Joseph, DH of a DG friend. It's C.. C... COLD out there!

Marcy, I put poplar floors in my farm house in Boone 20+ years ago. I didn't live there long after that so I don't know how they might have held up. They were green t&g I got from a local sawmill. I stickered them over winter to dry before installing, and many warped. But the price was right even with a high waste factor. A friend had cherry floors put in her sunroom that same year... man, those were gorgeous!

Well, I'm going to have some peach yogurt, and see if I can eventually get back to sleep...
Nite, all...
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5918048

I've been watching this thread to see how George's tests turned out. Maybe I missed it though. George, are you here and OK? Does anyone know?

And happy holidays, everyone!

Polly

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008

Post #5918220

good morning everyone
c c c c c c cold here in Urbana.
kids are sick it was a long night , dr apt today, that should be fun. NOT.
stay warm everyone and be safe on the roads
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5918226

Polly, Geo will probably be checking in soon, but it was a medication problem and he's got it straightened out and is feeling better.

Marcy, you got me inspired and I made cookies yesterday! Oatmeal and sugar cookies frosted with buttercream. I'm in the mood to bake now, thinking a cake may be next!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5918236

Dusty, meant to say earlier when you posted the tank pic, I guess it is teaming with life already, just not in a pretty way yet, LOL. Sounds like its getting there quickly :-)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5918249

Did someone say cookies????

Check this out, it's a hoot..

http://blogs.northlandchurch.net/2008/08/11/the-mom-song/
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5918254

Hey Polly and all!
The meds have done wonders and I have had to wear this oxygen blood level and pulse thing all weekend(sleeping) Tomorrow is the day I go back and they are supposed to have all my test and such to tell me how I'm doing. I twisted my old cardiologist arm and got my records sent to me and my heart attack was in the posterior part of my heart, so I think they are seeing old damage. The blood oxygen level never fell under 96 all weekend when I was awake. Pulse was up though in the 90's. I can wear my favorite boots now and my rings(got to have my jewel's! LOL) so swelling is down. I feel great. Much more energy since the med change. Not sleeping much, but crashed and burned last night. Went to bed at 8:30 and woke at 8am.

We are off to Lexington to finish what little shopping we need to finish and to spend my Christmas gift from Jeff. I love money for Christmas!
Well we will know more tomorrow, but I think once the weight comes off and the meds stabilize I will be just fine. I even played in the yard yesterday. Got some last minute bulbs from Bleek and got them into the ground. Well off to the big city!
George

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5918313

Cookie, that's cute. :) I just LOVE patter songs. Can't wait until I get my record player hooked up again and can play my Gilbert & Sullivan Patter Songs... it's not available on CD.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #5919197

Darius, thanks for introducing me to a new term -- patter songs. I never knew what such songs were called, just knew I like them. That mom's song is hysterical, and the singer has pipes! She's really good, especially how she can go right from operatic purity to singing through clenched teeth. LOL!!

Howie and I are trying out NetFlix. Oh. My. Gosh. What an amazing site. We're doing the $8.99/mo. plan, which lets us get unlimited DVD's per month, one at a time, plus watch unlimited movies online. There are amazing documentaries and movies of every genre. We figure this is a lot cheaper than going out to movies and all that, plus in the winter we're home more. We'd rather have friends over and watch movies together, anyway.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5919226

Kimberly, I just looked at Netflix 2-3 days ago and thought the same thing, same plan... now that I have my DVD player hooked up, I think I'll sign up after I get my next SS check.

Finished my cabinet paint job... MUCH easier than the floor! I took a photo of the whole cabinet but from that far back, I don't get enough light from my flash for a decent picture.

Thumbnail by darius

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5919341

Darius, the cabinet looks great!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5919503

Thanks, Neal. I figured you'd like it!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5919634

That looks nice! The black really sets everything off nicely.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5919643

I feel so much better now, George. Thanks for letting us know.

Again, happy holidays to all my new friends on ORV forum. I was looking at the map for the Ohio Valley ecosystem, and surprisingly it comes into New York state. So I'm not so far out afterall, and it's always great to have new friends!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5919941

Polly, Link to the map?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5919984

Hi Darius

It's the map on the thread at the top of this forum, under Let's Go Gardening. Second post, I think.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/676691/

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5920021

Thanks. Boy, that's a HUGE area!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5920031

I was surprised.

It doesn't quite, but almost, reach us. So I'm schooching to the left a smidgen.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5920041

Yeah, me too. I'm just at the top left of the "V" in Virginia.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5920052

Well, I'm glad such a welcoming group is accepting us schoochers, then.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5920098

I'm beginning to think that ORVG is really a state of mind :-)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5920314

And we are ALL out of our States...

For those of you looking or joining Netflix.
I have been a member since just about the inception.
We're on the 4 movie plan but they froze our rates long ago as a early subscriber Thank You Gift.
I HARDILY endorse them.
5 Stars!
Thankfully they finally tell you if you've already watched one of the discs.
I think we are up to nearly a thousand now... or it seems like it.

Ric
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5920318

Ditto on Netflix - we don't belong any more, but used to and it was great (we've got satellite now, so that's our splurge). I especially liked the way you could put things on a wish-list.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5920376

Darius love the look of the painted cabinet. Makes your pieces stand out. What a cheap fix!

Polly, don't know if I welcomed you, but you are joining a great group of folks here. ORVG certainly is a state of mind, as well as a region and zone. Give yourself a great spring vacation, and join us for the spring RU in 2009.

I took DGD shopping today, and what a madhouse it was. Sure glad that I don't have to go back out into that mayhem. May hit some sales on Friday, to start taking advantage of some mark down on decorations etc, or maybe not.

Found out today after talking to DS that he and his SO have to work Christmas Eve, until 6:00, and DGD has to leave at 4:00 to go to her other grandmother's house, so there is not gonna be anything happening here for the holidays. The SO's DS has invited them there, and then they are going to her DF's on Christmas day, and then to visit another DS on Friday. So this DOM (dear old mom) gets left out again this year. I think that DGD, DH and I will have lunch on Christmas Eve, and open gifts, and then she will be free to leave later in the afternoon. This is why I dread the holidays so much, there just never seems to be a good time to squeeze in all the gatherings, and I end up getting my feelings hurt over it quite often. Maybe next year, I will celebrate Christmas in conjunction with Thanksgiving, and just dispense with even trying to plan anything for Christmas. My gift to me next year, may be a trip to warmer climes for Christmas week!!

Everybody hunker down for the freezing rain that is predicted tomorrow and tomorrow night. We are scheduled to stand in the living nativity and hope that the weather is not too cold.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5920438

Welcome ALL ya schoochers...
I am a Lurker most of the time...

Darius I love your floor and your cabinet.

Want to let everyone know that my new grandson (the preemie)
is no longer a little baby, he weighs 11lbs. 5 ozs.
He has finally caught up with himself..haha
He is the size that he is supposed to be.
Will post a pic soon.
Trying to find the most recent one...

Bonnie don't freeze in the spot your are standing
Good idea on a warm Christmas gift to you

~~~~~~~~~~~ To All
Pauletta

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5920483

I think way too much is put into "family time" during the holidays, Bonnie. We set ourselves up for this madness and disappointment with all the enormity we place on those two days. I've often wished we could go away for Christmas, just Howie and me. There's so much pressure for everyone to have "quality time" and forced jocularity. We build it up into something no one could fulfill. No, I'm not a humbug, just wishing it weren't made so HUGE.

You take that warm vacation next year -- do it! :)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5920515

Hey Bonnie...you aren't alone with those feelings! I look forward to seeing and being with my gkids on Christmas...but it never lasts very long. My DDIL makes a point of letting us know her sister is more important to visit. (her mother is deceased...and her father remarried).
I have tried every year to make quality time for my gkids...making cookies with them..etc. Somehow...it gets worse every year. So I say...take that trip south!! I may do that myself next year...and go visit my DD in Florida! She rarely has enough time off to come home...and DH won't go...because he doesn't like to travel...so I will go alone...the heck with them all!! LOL!! What is the saying???? Life is a ******...and then you die?
Darius...the cabinet looks really nice!
Hey Pauletta...nice to see you!! Merry Christmas!
Neal...here is a pic of my kitchen floor...well...part of it that is...lol! Keep warm everyone...it's going to warm up!!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5920563

Marcy, great looking floor, matter of fact it looks very similar to m DTS's kitchen floor.

Yep, I know that there is a lot of hype about "family time" at the holidays, but it looks like that since I only have the one DS and only one DGD that they could schedule at least an hour or two to spend with us. DS has been married 3 times, and all of his exes have had their family dinners to attend, and I ended up taking what was left in their schedule. Gall durn it, I am getting old, or older, and it looks like that they could accommodate me, considering that my vast estate , chuckle, chuckle will be left to the 2 of them. Yep the old "poor me" syndrome has hit, as it usually does at Christmas time.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5920595

Marcy i believe its taxes before dying . LOLLL sorry your DIL has that attitude ? yeah get some sun in FL !!!
Yeah family can be over rated. But it is nice to have good holidays and to share them ( yeah like that will ever happen in my world with my family ) . I never enjoyed the holiday with my family.
Eh just a bunch of crazy people getting together pretending to like one another LOL That is my family . LOL :) Never a dull moment !!
Bonnie i hope it goes well for your holiday with your family, sounds busy with everyone going in different directions . I know it can be hard . I agree get some sun with Marcy in FL. LOL. take a nice trip you and DH . Your always welcome at our house for the holiday :) i may have piiiiieeee. :)
darius great job on the cabinet
well we went to the mall and yep , i just can't do crowds like i used to" eeeeghads what a nightmare " but i got my mom a book Jenny McCarthy with her son and autism. She should like it. Never made it to the post office, grrrr i forgot all my packages duh ! got in the care and got all the way over to springfeild and "ack ' Noooo packages duh sheesh.
take care everyone
goodnight
sue
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #5920652

I strongly vote for going south! Nora and I were getting pulled in every direction possible one year and we realized there was no way we could make everyone happy and avoid the stress, so we took off for Key West for Thanksgiving. It was one of the best holidays we've ever had. The extra benefit was folks kinda got the point we couldn't be everywhere at once and everyone got a lot easier to deal with about scheduling after that. Regardless, you deserve to be able to treat yourself!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2008
4:43 AM

Post #5920781

Welllll I finally made it home at 9:45...I had a late discharge tonight going to Columbus...I have fueled the Wheelie twice today and I had a full tank to start with...That outta tell ya I have been busy...Dispatch took pity on me and my first one is **Scheduled** for 1pm and I will do back up and have the late shift tomorrow...

Love the cabinet Darius...I love that paint color...Nice and Smokey..

Bons and Marcy, I am soo sorry about having your day spoiled...
I agree...go to Florida and enjoy it...My Son in MI came the first Christmas we were here, but he hasn't been able to since...Jims son, always spends it with his wifes Grandmother on one day and his Mother on the other, so don't bother to ask them...Same with Thanksgiving...We just gave up...We have been alone all but 2 Christmases in the last 15 years...We just do our own thing, and put the tree up or not, and make a dinner or not...When we were in FL, I would spend the day out fishing...Spy a Shrimpboat and go tie alongside and bargain for a few pounds of shrimp...Use the little ones for bait to catch Red Snapper, and bring the big ones home for a Christmas feast of boiled shrimp.. peel em and eat em...Hopefully with some shark steaks from a 4 to 5 footer, preferably a Gray Shark...Hammerhead were too hard to manage alone, and Nurses were vicious...Clean em and prep em out in the sink on the dock and feed the Pelicans the scraps...Yep... that was a great Day!!!

Neal... Here is the semi finished product...Ignore my streaked front glass and I still have a bit of rock tweaking to do and that pump to the left will disappear...I left it there to help the big Fluvall get the water cleared up faster...Dori came out to greet me tonight when I got home... Of course I had food...She saw me with the camera and left Poor Smokey holding the bag with Emmett and Kelly for the Photo-op...LOL

I am off to my rack...Ate some Pea salad and had a glass of Merlot, and it's time for me to crash...
More rains and whatever due in here tomorrow, so be careful if you have to go out...10.8 here with a chill of 4* at the moment, but it keeps going up and down, since I've been home...

Huggggs

Thumbnail by DustyDS

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #5920807

That's looking nice, Dusty! Hey, sometime when you know you'll be waiting a while in Columbus on someone, let me know and maybe I can come in and meet you for lunch.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5921220

Goodmorning, Dear Friends! Hope you all are staying warm and dry! It is already warmer here this morning than it was all day yesterday.

I agree about the hoildays. I use to love the holidays and all the decorating, but now I'm counting the days...till the day after! What a disappoinment they have become. My parents use to do a wonderful job of making the holidays special for family get-togethers on Christmas Eve, but that seems so long ago. With the commercialism only getting worse year after year, the traditions we grew up with are being left behind.

My best Christmas memory didn't even include family. I had invited 8 gals (ages from 18 to 60) from work for a Christmas brunch in early-December about 10 years ago. We had drawn names for gifts, but everyone had bought or made a small gift for each of the others, too. I can't even begin to express the love and joy I actually FELT in my heart that day.

BTW, Dusty, your actions with that young couple touched my heart, as well as everyone else here, I'm sure. I told my DH about it and we decided this is the kind of thing we need to start doing.

Darius, I somehow missed the picture of your cabinet and had to scroll back up to see it...looks great!

George, YEAH! Glad you are doing better!

Dusty, tank is looking good!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5921269

Looking good Dusty! Such a great design for a tank! I just showed Dave the pic and he said "That's a reef tank! That's hard core!" LOL.

msrobin, you know, you're so right about what we need to start doing. I just can't stand the idea of getting all this stuff that people don't really want or need (and stressing out to do it), and while I always appreciate the sentiment of a gift, I hate for anyone to waste hard earned cash on things I don't need. It really makes more sense to give to those who are really in need.
valrita

December 23, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5921341

Darius, I love your floor with the walnut pegs. Very nice. And you did a wonderful job on the cabinet.

Marcy, I like your floor too. Rustic. I'd like to have something like that here. Does food stain it easily? Do you put linseed oil or anything on it?

Dusty, I really enjoyed reading about how you helped those people. You're a very sweet person with a big heart. Your fish tank is looking great.

Maybe I've missed it, but has Badseed checked in lately? I hope she's okay.
Is Toni okay? I wonder if she got the cold temps up there that we had.

I haven't carried on Christmas traditions that my parents did. I really don't celebrate it except if I have the day off work, we have a dinner. The main tradition that my grandparents had was a big dinner where before dinner pop pop used to say grace and we'd all sing happy birthday to Jesus. I always got to light the candles on the angel chimes. My mother always made cookies and gave them as gifts. I loved when we made cookies. Ya know, I doubt if she ever knew how much I liked that part.

About the only tradition that I've kept is eating Chocolate Snack pack pudding for Christmas breakfast. That was such a treat and I still do it. My parents would wrap a pudding and put it into my stocking. Normally, I'd NEVER be allowed to eat pudding for breakfast but Christmas day was special. It was inexpensive but it sure was special.

My parents never told me about the whole Santa thing so there weren't any traditions about that. We had a tree though. One year my dad even cut down a holly tree to use for a Christmas tree. If you think pine needles can be sharp to step on, don't try dried holly leaves. Ouch! But it was pretty.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5921392

Hmmm maybe we should do a holiday RU for all of us " Misfits " LOL :) that will teach our family wont it !!! HA.
cold here, got to get things done and i m sick and so is the kids, coughing up lungs and other stuff i won't mention. "ack" got them meds from the dr . hope it gets better by the holidays.
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5921394

Good Morning Everyone! (and thanks for compliments on my cabinet)

Dusty, fish tanks aren't my 'thing' but yours is looking quite nice. :)

I agree with some of the above talk about families and celebrations... but the last several years I was in a relationship, I hated the holidays. Each of our families expected us at Thanksgiving/Christmas, a thousand miles apart, and all I wanted to do was stay home and have our own celebration. So, I guess it's our expectations that do us in...

Meanwhile I haven't decided to go to Bud's or not, but probably not. I'm for sure NOT staying home with my sis and the Kid. Instead, I think I'll go over and help Sunny and Joseph pack for a day or two.

BBL...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5921430

Well, I'm glad to say...I still LOVE our Christmas tradition and everyone still makes time for us. Bill has mentioned going somewhere warm over Christmas for a few years now, but as long as my parents are alive, I won't consider it. I always think that just maybe this might be the "last" Christmas and how bad I would feel if I hadn't spent it with them. They so look forward to the gathering with all our kids. It helps that all three DILs parents are in Nebraska and two in Florida! SIL always has his with his side on Christmas eve so it works out. I'm sorry for those of you that don't get what you want from your family.

The floors are beautiful. We have hardwood floors under our carpets but they are in AWFUL shape.

Dusty, that pump goes to the skimmer and you will need it. I can help you if you want to work on it tomorrow or this weekend...I'm so happy to see Smokey and Dori happy and the new kid clowns are cute.

Welcome to you new people if I haven't said so before!!

This is my last day for work until next year...color me Happy!!

Hey Sue, maybe we can do that movie with lunch sometime while I'm off? I think Bertie might be able to join us, too. Anyone else want to come?

Have a great day all and try to stay jolly!

Love you!

(Kavin...isn't he a cutie?)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008

Post #5921454

Wonder why that picture didn't show up.

Trying again

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5921456

Well, I guess you don't get to see how cute Kavin is...sorry.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5921505

We usually end up doing Christmas at Thanksgiving with Joel's family. It's nice in two ways. One it breaks up the holiday gift buying into two batches and two we get to enjoy his family and then at Christmas my family. This year was even better since they came the weekend before Thanksgiving. So we stayed home for the real Thanksgiving and just relaxed. yayyy
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5921654

Good Morning everyone...19* here... Heat wave!!!

Before I forget... Velnita...Toni is doing okay...Missing her family this year as I am sure alot of us are...I am hoping that right after the new year, she will be able to come down for a couple days...Good incentive for me to get the guest room cleaned up...LOL

Neal...You can thank Cookie for the hard core...I just inherited it...LOL
I absolutely LOVE this thing...I haven't turned the TV on in weeks...I find myself just staring at the fish...LOL...Very de-stressing...Salt water tanks are quite beautiful, and reef rocks with living creatures on them make them doubly so...I still have work to do on it ...Cleaning the front glass, the filters again this weekend and moving a few rocks very gently...I had to wait till it cleared to be sure Dori had pathways to her hidy hole and could get out...As you can see from about 15 minutes ago, she can...
Maybe you and Dave can come up one weekend, and I will take you to the fish warehouse...They have a bazillion used tanks etc. including one like mine, but a tad smaller, that I saw last week...I bet he could find one very reasonable there...Living rock is $4.99 a pound, but was on sale for $3.99 last week...My Tomato Clowns, were buy one get one free, and you need at least 2 for them to be happy...You absolutely must have snails to keep the tank cleaned well, especially the glass...

It looks like Bro Bill is about to build a new dog yard for me..I see a roll of fencing laying out back... ;-)) The dogs will certainly be grateful, and so will I...It is hard to get into that pen to clean it...But I do have plans for the pen this spring...It will make a nice yard for a couple chickens... :-))
I got some bird seed yesterday at the farm store in Indiana, so I just refilled all my feeders...Had a huge red head woodpecker on the suet cake...Guess he likes peanut butter... LOL

Welllll, I better start getting ready for my late day...I'm guessing I have the 7:30 pm pickups from Dialysis tonight...

Y'all have a great day, and I'll check in tonight..

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5921670

Good morning all.
Velnita...nope! Nothing on that floor...no linseed oil or anything. Yes...there are some stains on it...mostly grease stains from the stove! Most everything else wipes right up, because it is such a hard wood. Yes..it is rustic! My whole house is rustic...LOL!! Ask Ric!

Thanks everyone on feeling sorry for me...lol! Actually, my DS and DDIL DO come for Christmas day...but it just seems like they rush off to her sister's too fast after we eat. But of course, the kids want to go get their presents at their aunt's house too.
Face to face...my DDIL and I get along very well. But she seems to resent me underneath...and I think it goes all the way back to when I kept Ashley for the first two yrs of her life...while DIL worked. That was HER choice though? Ah...who knows?????? I try not to obsess over it.
Dusty...the tank looks good! I know nothing about fish or aquariums...but my eldest son used to raise them to sell...so I imagine he does.
Well...Dave is off to work in a bit...and I am doing a little more baking...and then some decluttering before Christmas. The wrapping is done...thank goodness!! Our Mandy cat sure has been nosy too!! She keeps poking her nose among the pkgs...and she sleeps under the tree at night! There is a register back of it...so that might be why ...lol!!
Have a wonderful day all...and watch out for that ice tonight!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5921710

Dusty, what are 'living rocks'? (Other than my belief that all rocks are alive)

Marcy, I love your floors, esp. the square nail heads.

It's finally warmed up to 32º and the sun is out. They are calling for rain so I'd better get to the grocers while it's decent outside...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5921871

Good morning, I started working on a stained glass piece last night, and am trying to finish it, as it will be a Christmas gift. Have it all cut and about 1/4 foiled, so it is doeable.

The weather is a little warmer today than yesterday,but not looking forward to the sleet and freezing rain coming later on.

You all take care, and be careful out there this afternoon and tonight.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5921906

Darius, I think the living rocks are usually pieces of reef with coral, algae, and various other sea life living in them.

Dusty, the fish warehouse sounds like loads of fun! I love that idea!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #5921952

Pics of your new piece when you are finished please Bons.. :-))

Darius...they call it living rock, because it is chunks of lava, old dead reef coral etc, that organisms like tube worm, urchins and anemone are now growing on...These are things the fish feed from unless they are carnivores, and feed on other fish or brine shrimp or krill etc...

LOL.. My cell just went off.. Early start.. I'm off to the VA...
Have a good'un...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5921991

Thanks for the 'education'!
valrita

December 23, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5922010

Defoecat, this may seem like an odd question, but where do you do your stained glass? I bought my hubby some of the things to do stained glass. He wants to get into doing it. But he needs a space in our home where he can do it. Do you use a table, a desk, or something else? Is it a large flat top or is it tilted? He's also concerned about glass slivers getting into our carpet.

Obviously, I know nothing about this stuff. Any help would be appreciated even though I'd need to get back to work before I could get (or make) it for him.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5922218

Hey gang! Dusty, that's some setup! When those rocks start taking on their purple color it will be spectacular. One of the coolest things is if you manage to get any barnacles or the like - to see them put out their little fans for feeding is really something. I had to rearrange my rocks after a bit to be sure I wasn't inadvertently killing off any of those and keep them in the water flow. Now I've just GOT to dig out those e-pics of the tank and post one for you.

Good to hear about Toni - now we're just waiting on Badseed to check in, right?

Nora's off to the structural salvage place with a friend of hers to drool over stuff and see if she can find some stocking stuffers for our DBIL who is a very good wood worker. And while she's gone I'm gonna make him a peach pie and Sis some sugar cookies for Christmas. I hate having to deal with Christmas gifts this late as I really don't like the pressure, but with baked goods, what's a gal gonna do? :-)

Stay warm and safe in this nasty weather that's heading our way.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5922251

velniita, in the winter time, I use a folding table in the dining room, which is wood floors. I don't think doing stained glass on carpet would be a good idea, in that there are usually lots of little slivers of glass that would get in the carpet. I have a garden shed, and I have asked DH to get it wired for electricity so that I will have a permanent place to work, and not have to clean up so often.

The glass is all foiled and ready to start on the soldering. So may finish it before time to start some supper.

We have had a brief spell of sleet, then it stopped, so don't know if that is it, or if it will be a deluge later on.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5922262

Chele's okay, she's just been scrambling to get some gifts together for the girls and to get food and such ready for Christmas at her in-law's. She's also been making barrettes and headbands to sell. Busy time!
valrita

December 23, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5922387

Thanks for the update on Badseed. I've missed her.

Is that a wood-topped folding table? Do you need a heat-proof surface or something?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5922425

She's got a lot on her plate right now, as you can imagine.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5922455

My ears were burning. LOL

We are doing okay here. We went to my sister's on Sunday. My mother was there and my brother and his family. It's the first civil/social time we've had in 18 years aside from my dad's funeral early this year. We are trying to figure out if we can go to Craig's family's tomorrow. It's another 40 miles each way, dragging food. I guess it depends if he gets to town to get what I need. They expect bacon wrapped water chestnuts each year. Nobody buys gifts for either family thing so at least it's not that kind of financial stress.

We picked up our Angel Food Saturday so have plenty of groceries for the next couple of weeks.

Other than that, I've been busily making hair accessories and jewelry and the likes. I just have not been in a chatty mood but we are okay. ;)
valrita

December 23, 2008

Post #5922657

Good to hear from you. I was just concerned.

Well, I guess I have some things to do so I'll go back to lurking. I hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5922720

Thank you. :) It's nice to be missed.

No lurking! Stick around and chat.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5922766

Chele, hope you have a good Christmas, I know it won't be an extravagant one, but sometimes the lean ones turn into the best memories.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5923049

Hello all!
Well It looks like you are all stuck with me for while yet. My BP is great, cholesterol low, kidney's working just fine and the EKG was old damage. The only thing that is going on is I'm slightly anemic, but since the blood transfusions with the gall bladder surgery I have stayed slightly anemic. The foods that help with staying non anemic work against my meds for non clotting and I can't manage iron meds well. The thing I find funny is before I switched to real butter my cholesterol was much higher. Jazz and I spoke briefly about at the fall RU. So My little family and myself can breath a sigh of relief and enjoy Christmas. It had really put a damper on us all thinking I may have another hospital stay. No more Dr. for 3 months!!!

Jeff is on the way to Georgetown to get the 2 youngest right now. The weather is looking rough, but Jeff is a great bad weather driver. Christmas is done. All presents bought and my kitchen counters are filled with every flavor of chocolate, toffee and baking ingredients. I can't wait to get started. I also got me a little eggnog and may spike it a little and have me a little Christmas cheer!
Wishing all my little ORV family(and extra's) a wonderful holiday!!
George
Oh and little Emma(Chihuahua) got a pretty little pink and green sweater and fleece camo jacket for Christmas!
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5923076

That's wonderful news George!! That *is* a relief. Now you can settle in and enjoy the family and the beautiful outdoors :-)

Glad to hear you and your family are hanging in there Chele - I hope you have a smooth and happy Christmas.

Got the peach pie done for DBIL, and the butter is warming up to make the sugar cookies for Sis. The mower for the nephew is in the car, waiting for us to load everything else and head down to their place tomorrow. We'll probably get a late start, as Nora is napping right now and we've not wrapped presents yet - guess what we'll be doing tomorrow morning - LOL!

Our basement floor tiles are slowly drying out. It's a bit of a pain to head down there during the day to move them around (propped on their sides) so the fan can get to them and such. BUT, at least that's the only issue we had to deal with from that surprise.

And I vote for a little Christmas cheer in the eggnog - you only get eggnog once a year, so you may as well spike up one glass full :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5923086

Yay, George!!
Hey, my cholesterol went down too when I switched to just butter and/or EVOO...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2008
11:26 PM

Post #5923109

Hi Chele...and Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!
Hey George...congrats on the GOOD news!!! Glad to hear it!!
Velnita...NO lurking allowed...lol!! Stay and chat with us!
Darius...thanks..on the floor. I like it. It has never warped a bit..anywhere. When it gets too bad...maybe I will have it sanded and finished...or just paint it! At least we don't have to take any finish off it!
Well...I still have cut out cookies to ice and decorate...thank goodness not too many though. Only made one batch. I also have the dough ready for these little pie shaped thingys that have jam in them...so have to make those. Had some at an open house and had to have the recipe! We'll see how that goes!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5923211

good news Geo !!! yes i agree add some holiday cheer to your eggnog .
Hi folks . you all have been busy
Cookie, i can see if we can get a movie in :)
were not getting on any good news on refi our house. The first company ripped us off ! with the appraisal, so we are waiting on the second company , the problem is getting comps on log homes, not an easy task.
T got an offer on a job in TX ! 'ack" to bad he can't take it , he heads out to china on Jan 3. :(
dryad oh that pie sounds wonderful !! i have some black rasperries that are calling my name i got in the freezer, left over from spring. yummm
Chelle glad things are going well
big hug and wave to you all
stay warm
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5923604

Good evening folks.

Our living nativity was cancelled tonight because of sleet and freezing rain. If it hasn't arrived north of here, it is on it's way. Weather liars are saying a period of the freezing stuff, but temps warming overnight, and all this will turn to just rain.

George that is great news, I am sure that you are not so attached to that Dr, that a 3 month wait, will not upset you at all. Great on the cholosterol being lower. I take a garlic capsuel a day, and it has lowered mine considerably, plus I use real butter.

Since I am not having any company this year, I did not make any cookies, made 4 batches of peanut brittle to give as gifts to the neighbors, and had a little left that we have been munching on.

Sue, I would think that log home comps are pretty hard to come by, but I hope that you are successful in getting a refi on the house.

Velnita don't go back into lurker mode, Lou has that honor all nailed down!!

Hoping you all get lucky and this miserable weather plays out before it gets to you.

We are having a Christmas Eve Breakfast tomorrow, as DGD has to be at her sister's even earlier than what we had thought. So we will have a great breakfast, and open gifts and then take her to meet her sister, and they will go on to the other grandparent's house.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5923621

Welll I give up... I have been typing on and off since 6pm just after iI got home... and it just disappeared...I didn't do anything but hit the spell checker...Grrrrrrrr!!!

I will try again tomorrow.. I am too aggravated to try to remember it all tonight...

It was really bad here this afternoon..It is raining here again now, and I have a 6 am in Germantown, so it may be a skating rink again...I was sideways twice, and not fun uphill once trying to hold the brakes from sliding back down and then get on through the light uphill and again down hill once, trying to keep from sliding through a light...4 close ones...Not Fun...Apparently only the 5 senior more experienced drivers will be in the Wheelies tomorrow.. they are going to let the youngins wreck the leased cars..LOL
I have 3 total...the other 2 are in Xenia and Springfield...all go to the VA...
If you don't have to, stay off the roads...There were wrecks all over the place today...so please be extra careful...The IdJits are Loose and impatient!

I'm off to the rain locker and my rack...I think I need a nerve pill and I can't think of a better one than to go comatose for a few hours...

Huggggs

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #5923640

I left work at 3:30 and the roads were fine.
2 minutes later I hit the on ramp.
Traffic was strange on the HWY bunched up and going WAY too slow.
So I figured there was a wreck up ahead and again the roads were fine but a slight drizzle started.
Then rain and there was absolutely NO traction under the tires.
I've ice driven a lot so I just went w/ it and stayed steady.
I managed to coast my speed down to about 20 MPH and keep going.
In about 1/2 mile the roads were fine.
I went thru this off and on for 10 miles.
Saw maybe 25 cars tied up or backwards.
The radio said they were closing the HWY's in a lot of places (4 I had just been thru) to wait for salt trucks.
Then my wipers iced up... then the hood and I could see it starting to hit the windshield.
Luckily I was on the off ramp (which was still just water) and hit the side streets.
They were fine... for about 2 miles... the last two miles were a skating rink.
Though skating rinks are usually flat aren't they? LOL!

But I'm off till next Monday.
Dayton tomorrow evening then hanging around here.
The party at work went off well.
I spent most of this morning getting ready for table setup and decorating.
Then after lunch cleaning up and undecorating...LOL!

The Boys are coming over Christmas Day and I'm making Spaghetti Chicken.
A LOT easier than Spaghetti and Meatballs...
Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5923662

So Ric, tell me about the spaghetti Chicken, never heard of it. Glad you got home safe and sound, without playing bumper cars on the interstate.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5923821

Glad you all made it home safe and sound. Dave did too...not that he had far to go...but it's all uphill!
At about ten after 7 our power went out here. The whole countryside was dark! And the town! Luckily, I had built a fire earlier in the day...so all was warm here. We just lit the candles and sat and talked...and fed the fire. I didn't get all my baking done...but the dough will keep in the fridge until tomorrow. I did ice my cut out cookies by candlelight though! So they are done!
The power finally came back on at 10:15 pm. We could see the power truck working one road over from us. Poor guys...and it was pouring rain! I felt sorry for them. It is now up to 32 degrees here...and I hope it stays up there!!
Time for me to hit the bed here! Have a good night everyone!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5923868

Soooo...You know the feeling eh Bro?? I just HATE sloped skating rinks...There are 13 acres and 2 houses here, and Berties too that I now gotta figger out how to move to Florida...;-)))
Truckers have a saying about rearends and truck seats in a crisis that I can't say here but suffice it to say...
Like I said before...I don't give a Rat when I'm alone...**Today is a good day to Die** as we said in Nam, but I get paranoid when I have a patient behind me...That persons life is in my hands...I just want them home and in the door...After that I can breathe...
Hopefully I don't break a hip in the process.. I have fallen twice in 2 days thanks to ice on sidewalks getting people out of homes...Caught myself both times and broke the falls...I am sore and tired and they need to cancel all but Dialysis runs in this kind of weather...

I am going to Vent here really quick while my hair is drying, about a new thing that Passport, paid for by your Soc Sec. tax dollar has just implemented in the last 60 days...It is called Non Medical Transport...

We now transport patients to the beauty shop, Krogers, the Mall, Aunt Effies and Uncle Freds house and even to church...Our newest guy Larry, told me last night that he had been to the beauty shop, then to Kohls, then to Meijers and then to Krogers yesterday with just ONE lady to do her Christmas shopping...for TWELVE SOLID HOURS!!! And had to push her wheelchair through all of it and carry her bags out to the Wheelie and pack it in..Then into her house...She needed an Escort/Aide for that...Not tie up one of our drivers all day...He picked her up at 8am and dropped her and her load at 8:40 pm...He had fueled and got to the barn last night just before I did after my run to Columbus... Something bout that just ain't right...I say, drop her at the Mall and let her go...call when yer ready to go to the next stop...He sat out there the whole time she was getting her hair done. and then took her shopping... That to me, is an abuse of the system...I logged in yesterday at 5:30 am and out at 9:30 pm...best I count, that was a 16 hour day...No break time, no lunch time...You think I get OT for that??? Think again...I only get OT for anything over 40 and that won't happen this week...Only 4.5 hrs today, who knows tomorrow, off Christmas for which we do NOT get paid, and Friday is a maybe...
Believe me...I am grateful I am working, and have a paycheck every Friday, but I never know from one week to the next what it will be...But abusing drivers like that is rediculous...not to mention UNsafe...

Off my soap box... sorry...

Sleep tight yall... tomorrow is The Night...

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #5923873

Spaghetti chicken is easy.
Just roast a chicken... in this case I'll use Boneless Breast...
and then when it's about done add the sauce to the roasting pan...
stir it well and then add uncooked spaghetti.
(I use bird's nest angle hair)
Plop it back in the oven till the pasta is done.

We do a variation w/ potatoes.
W/ that use a beef, lamb, whatever roast.
When it's done remove it from the pan.
Add the raw potaoes.
Add 3 8 oz cans of tomato sauce and 2 cans water... oregano, pepper, etc...
Cook until the potatoes are tender and coated w/ the thickened sauce.

40 and raining hard here now.
Supposed to be 50 by morning near 60 by afternoon
Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5923885

34* here and still pouring...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #5924270

Please all stay safe and warm today...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5924551

Glad everyone made it home Ric, Dusty and Dave and anyoneles who had been out driving. Glad your back safe and sound.
Its a swamp out here in our neck of the woods LOL pun intended giggle
Dusty I agree.That is just crazy.
well still all of us are sick . blah
With the comps on our house there are log homes around us but they want two that have sold recently !! ?? yeah like that happens. I think the companys are just making excuses not to refi people right now since everything is so iffy but interest is so low ? "ack"
so that is what were waiting for . But that is the least of worries , we have our health and a warm home. :) i don't mean to sound like a ungreatful snob , so i apologize if i did . JUst a little stress but nothing really worth worry about.
There are alot of other things to worry about and people there with no jobs ect. ...
Our neighbor worked at GM so i might bring him a basket of goodies.
I think i m grumpy due to the fact i can't get out and do my usual volunteering and stuff. Sick so i don't want to spread the sickies to anyone :(
have a dry day everyone
pouring rain here
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5924739

Yummy "cookies" even if you don't feel like baking!

Carly, 11 has been talking about cookies a teacher told them about. They are simply Ritz crackers, peanut butter spread on them to make sandwiches, then dipped in white chocolate/almond bark. Hubby picked up crackers and almond bark last night so she could make them.

She made the cracker/peanut butter sandwiches last night and put them in the freezer. This morning she melted the chocolate and dipped them all. I wasn't expecting much, but BOY OH BOY! these are good!

We are going to my in-laws tonight. Of all things, there were no whole chestnuts to be found in Lynchburg or Blanchester. So we had to bail on the yearly tradition of bacon wrapped chestnuts and decided to make beer cheese instead. I never take any of that home either. ;)

Don't feel bad Sue. It's "swamp" season here too...
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5924744

Hey all! We're waiting for the sewer folks to show up and rod out the sewer line in the basement. Just when I thought things were drying out the thaw and rain hit, and it was Backup City all over again. Twice in a week is a clear enough message for this gal! So, we get some extra time at home to wrap presents and bake cookies and such. I went out briefly yesterday to pick up the busted lawnmower for nephew's Christmas present, and the roads were just starting to turn into an ice rink. So it took me a bit longer to get there and back, but it was a nice and patient mambo line of cars at 5 mph as none of us wanted to be the next one up someone's tail end or in a ditch.

Sue - get better! Drink some of that apple cider vinegar concoction - it really does work.

I agree with you Dusty, that's just a wild abuse of a system that's already overloaded. Can't imagine what "they" were thinking when that rule was changed.

Hope everyone stays warm and dry!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5924773

Robin i fogot about that stuff. Ok Dr R. will do that . Might add ginger too ? good luck with the sewer stuff . :)
well we are off to Springfield again to meet with our bank . They said they won't need the comparibles , Not the best rate but better than what we got right now . Things are good. :)
I do worry about all my DG friends . I know i shouldn't but i do. You are all so special to me :)
Bummer on the chestnuts Chelle those are my fav too. I always get some in Delaware from a online site i love. But this year i just didn't get around to it :( duh. them cracker cookies sound pretty good too . hmmmm me is thiniking.
These are the days i m glad we did the raised basement LOL what a mess that would've been "ack"
ok time to shower before T gets back from URbana "ack" and get kids dressed
OBTW did anyone see the 17 kids and one more on the way show on TLC or was it DSC ? but i thought of you Chelle LOL can you imagine !! 18 kids i didn't know the body could do that !!!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5924811

It's 18 kids now Sue.
I saw it on the news a few days back.
It will be the last one though...they finally figured out what causes it...

We'll be heading for Dayton later this afternoonafter a KY run.
Have to stop and get Dad something too as I didn't stop during the Icecapades.
Then we'll drop in on him... hard as he doesn't know us anymore.
Then off the Robyn's Sister's for Christmas Eve dinner and Party.
Lots of little ones again so it's usually a great time.
Plus there's no Nascar (I think) so people will actually interact not just watch cars run in circles..lol!
Man that's boring to me...just tape it and fast forward to the wrecks!

The Holiday Baking is done.
I MIGHT need to borrow Jon's trailer to get it all up there... LOL!

Ric
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5924823

Hi Guys, I was out driving in the mess yesterday also. I had been out til 1:15pm and everything was fine. Back out at 2:20 to go to work and all bets were off. I was headed West down 70 and it started to slow down and I looked ahead to see a solid line of cars as far as the eye could see, SO I think Hey I am exiting this mess and taking 68 south.. well a glance over at that exit ramp revealed a couple cars sideways and blocking the ramp so it was I70 at 12 miles an hour. But I don't think I would want to go any faster, we eventually got up to 30 but I backed way off once that happened. 675 seemd fine but everyone was going 55 and that was just fine. A few people were going faster but I just figured that they hadn't been on I70.. lol.. After I got to work I heard I-70 was closed.
One of my people got to work at 4:15 she lives in South Vienna and had left 20 minutes earlier than I did..(I got there at 3:15 after leaving home at 2:20) She probably came along just a little after me and got caught in the mess on 70. THen she takes the 35 exit and went up Woodman which was a disaster.
I saw 20 cars either off the road or wrecked on the 12 mile stretch of I70 I travel.. not good.. If I had brought my computer home I would not have gone in. But alas old lady brain left it at work.
We are getting ready to head to Indiana for Christmas..Everyone have a very Merry Christmas :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5925075

Happy December 24th! I'm glad to hear no one skated into oblivion on the icy roads.

Here's my Christmas card for everyone. It's part of something I copied more than 40 years ago from a magazine, either Life or Look..

"Christmas is celebration, but the traditions that cluster around the day have significance only if they translate the yearnings of the human spirit to encompass and express Faith and Hope and Love. Without this intention the gift is bare, the celebration a touch of tinsel, and the time without meaning. As these attributes surrounded the first Christmas and have survived down through the years, so do they shine untarnished in the present year of our Lord.

Faith and hope and love, which cannot be bought or sold or bartered but only given away, are the wellsprings firm and deep of Christmas celebration. These are the gift without price and the ornaments, which cannot be imitated. Faith and Hope and Love are discovered only in one’s self and therefore are unique. They are not always easy to come by; but they are in unlimited supply, even in the province of all.

This Christmas mend a quarrel.

Seek out a forgotten friend.

Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.

Write a love letter.

Encourage youth.

Show your loyalty in word and deed.

Keep a promise.

Find the time.

Forego a grudge.

Forgive an enemy.

Listen.

Apologize if you were wrong.

Try to understand.

Flout envy.

Take up arms against malice.

Examine your demands on others.

Be kind; be gentle.

Appreciate.

Laugh a little.

Laugh a little more.

Express your gratitude.

Cry out against complacency.

Go to church.

Welcome a stranger.

Gladden the heart of a child.

Take pleasure in the wonder and beauty of the earth.

Speak your Love.

Speak it again.

Speak it once again."
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5925296

My Christmas List

I have a list of folks I know, all written in a book,
And every year at Christmas time, I go and take a look.
That is when I realized that these names are all a part,
Not of the book they're written in, but of me and my heart.

Each name stands for someone who has crossed my path sometime,
And in that meeting, they've become the Rhythm and the Rhyme.
And while it sounds fantastic for me to make this claim,
I really feel composed of each remembered name.

And while you may not be aware of any special link,
Just meeting you has shaped my life more than you think.
For once you've met somebody, the years can not erase
The memory of a pleasant word or of a friendly face.

So never think my Christmas greeting is just mere routine,
Of names upon a Christmas list, forgotten in between.
For when I send a Christmas greeting that is addressed to you,
It's because you're on the list of folks I am indebted to.

For I am but a total of the many folks I've met,
And you happen to be one of those I prefer not to forget.
Whether I have known you for many days or few,
In some way you have had a great part in shaping things I do.

Every year when Christmas comes I realize anew,
The biggest gift that life can give is meeting folks like you.
May the spirit of Christmas that forever and ever endures,
Leave it's richest blessings in the Hearts of You and Yours.

Merry Christmas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know who wrote this, but I have had this copy for years and wanted to share it with my many friends here. Thanks for helping me get through the holidays. I enjoy reading about all of your get-togethers and baking sprees!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5925304

That's lovely, Robin! Thanks for "sending" it to us.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5925389

Thanks Robin!

That poem was written by Helen Steiner Rice.
Her's is a pretty amazing story.

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5925410

My pleasure! You all are wonderful people that I enjoy so much! Thanks for letting me know who wrote it.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5925673

Those were beautiful...thank you both so much.

Bill and I want to wish each and every one of you a wonderful Christmas and a New Year filled with hope.

Cookie.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5925697

That was beautiful Darius, and Robin too!
Sorry I am not so eloquent...but Dave and I do wish ALL of you a very Merry Christmas...and hopefully a wonderful New Year!!!
Marcy
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5925920

Here's wishing all of you a very peaceful and holy Christmas and a much better 2009!

I lurk here regulary and feel like you are family. You are in my prayers , when you need them, you make me happy with your achievements, you make me thankful when I see the love and generousity here, and I love reading about the uniqueness of each of your daily lives. May the holidays bring rest and love to you all. Lurker Lou

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5926011

Merry Christmas to all my wonderful friends !!! and big (((())))) 's

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5926041

Merry Christmas to each and every one of you, and may Creators Blessing be with you all this Holy Night...
You are all very special and precious Friends...

Huggs,
Dusty and Jim
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5926100

Here's hoping you all have a Safe, Fun, Happy, and Very Merry Christmas and that God bestows many blessing on you and your families.

Love,

Toni, The Lt., Candi, Alex, Eli, and Oprah
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5926136

My electric has been going on and off - not good when trying to do last minute baking. So have had my Mac turned off, and accessing with my phone. It's really slow here at home, where the reception is poor. So many replies, it took forever to load - I hope after typing this that is shows up! Maybe someone would start a new thread?

Well, hard to type on this miniscule keyboard, so will just say Merry Christmas to all. Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday. Mom and I are staying home. My Ex is coming for ham sandwiches tomorrow evening - that should be our only visitor!

Ho Ho Ho!

hugs to all!
Jules
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5926253

Good evening folks, DH and I braved the pouring rain, the gusty winds, and hit the mall for some last minute gifts this afternoon. Got it done in record time, despite the heavy traffic and the human traffic in the stores. Had lunch, a late one, and headed on home.

Just wanted to let you all know that each one of you mean so much to me, and I care deeply about your lives and the trials, the victories and the sorrows that you encounter. Nothing you post is trivial, because if it is important enough to post, that means it is important to you, and therefore to me.

I wish the best that our creator has for each of you in the coming year, and along with that best, there is bound to be the not so good. So it is my hope that your strength, and the collective strength of this group carries you through what every may come.

Merry Christmas to everybody here who in one way or another has touched my life.

Bonnie and Wayne
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2008
4:32 AM

Post #5926396

We've not had any power outtages, thank goodness. We had a couple of very brief brownouts two days ago when the heavy winds brought down the temps, but nothing since then.

Your messages here tonight are so sweet. I feel the same about all of you. So many of us have struggled with connections within our own blood kin, but have found friendships here with each other. (((hugs)))

Howie couldn't wait to give me his gift. He'd said it was for both of us, so I really hadn't a clue. It was obviously a book. I opened the package and it was WLT, A Radio Romance, by Garrison Keillor. "Oh, neat! Hmmmm...I think I may have this one already, though..."

Then I saw the tickets sticking out from between the first couple of pages. We're going to see Garrison Keillor at the Midland on January 20th!! I didn't even realize he was coming to Newark. I can't believe it! :D Whatta guy I married.

I got Howie season 7 of The Waltons (he has seasons 1-6 already) and a 3-channel remote-control mini helicopter. All those surveys I do added up with Amazon.com gift certificates, so I use them on him. :)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2008
5:37 AM

Post #5926492

Lou for us you will never be a lurker as we think of you daily.
You wonderful slates adorn our doors.
Life is a bit brighter every time we return home.

Jules be sure to give Betty a hug for me.
Frog Bellies!!!!
It was like being a kid again.
She made a great day Magical!

Well I guess I can now officially say

My friends from Robyn and I, Wu, Spook, Missy, Emmit and Katt

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I count the New Year from Winter Solstice so...

Our year has been blessed once again by knowing each and every one of you.
Old friends and New I count you all as Family.
When we meet it's always w/ a sense of Joy.
That to me is Family.
Robyn and I want to met everyone here in person this year.

Sue ENJOY the new TOY! LOL!

Ric

lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2008
6:20 AM

Post #5926567

Well 40 years ago tonite I was in the hospital
2 hours and 10 minutes before Christmas Day
I had my first daughter

Merry Christmas to EVERYONE
Although I don't speak often, I think about you guys often

I don't know who the author of this is, might be a lady
at church ( she has cancer & going thru chemo right now)
Pauletta

Thumbnail by lilyhostaky

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5926910

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5926926

(((HUGS TO ALL))) All of these Christmas greetings fill my heart with joy! Thanks for sharing the gifts of love and joy!

Pauletta, I'll be making a copy of that, too, to add to my Christmas card file! Thank you! There's a figurine that I want to get, it's called The Kneeling Santa...a beautiful reminder of the "Reason for the Season" with Santa leaning over Baby Jesus in the manger.

Merry Christmas!

Robin & Al

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5926945

Merry Christmas Morning!

I've been up and about since my sister left for work at 5:30! I'm going over to Sunny & Joseph's to help pack today, and I'm taking 3 lovely Rainbow Trout plus some of the fingerling potatoes I grew this summer... we'll have a feast later!

Have a great day,
darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5927010

Merry Chirstmas to all of my family here on DG !
You all are so wonderful people. Thank you . :)
Ric we get our new toy on Monday ! Yeahhh
What a wonderful poem , that is a keeper
well were done with our gifts .
I got a composter and some wood seed flats cedar i believe ?
have a wonderful day
hey we got sun !!! no snow but no rain either , sun is good
blessings to you all
The Taynors
sue , tim ,savannah and austin
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5927013

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5927247

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

New Thread By Request : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/935183/
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5937973

Hey yall!! I am back from the Christmas Family Trip...it was fun and nice to be with my folks.

Trying to catch up with everyone here.

Hope yall are enjoying your Holidays!! :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5938009

Henygirl, we have moved over to the new thread, follow Dusty's link above. Missed you and hope you had a good time.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5938139

Well Hello strangers!

Sorry I have been gone for so long. I have been in the hospital again, then got out and caught that darn stomach flu and gave it to the whole family!

I had one heck of a time in the hospital this time. Went in to pneumonia and bleeding kidneys, stayed a couple days and woke up with a horrific migraine. Asked the nurse to get the dr to give me something for it,...waited and waited like 10 hours. Then demanded medication cause I was at the point I couldnt stand anymore. Dr said no, asked to see another doctor, they said no, asked if my hubby could bring my meds from home, they said no again. So I asked if I could go down the hall to the ER, once again I was told NO. Told the nurse to inform the dr that if I didnt get something from them to kick the migraine I was gonna be forced to leave, He said go ahead and leave then.
So I signed out AMA and went down the hall to the ER. Got me in quick, took my bp was 159/98 which is extremely high for me. Mine is usually like 90/60. Gave me 2 shots and laid me in a dark room for 25 minutes. After that my BP went back to normal and the pain was going away.

The funny part to this whole thing is that they told me to see my doctor the next day at his office so I did. When I got there he accused me of being a drug addict and said he would no longer treat me in his office unless I sought help! I asked him if he thought I faked pneumonia to get into to the hospital, stayed for a couple days just to fake pain to get the same medication that I have sitting on my shelf at home?? He is the one who prescribed it to me in the first place! It was totally insane. Then he said I needed psychological help and asked me to leave. Go figure? at that point I was furious.
Anyhow I am now seeing a new doctor which thinks the other one is nuts and has a medication phobia or something. But the good news is that I found out when I got my records from the hospital that I have a rare form of bacteria in my lungs that has been present for quite some time. Not many antibiotics will kill it but I am on one now that will. Hopefully I will recover from this and not be as sick in the future. I guess my old doctor doesnt prescribe the correct antibiotics either.
So I called my lawyer and we are gonna have some fun with him in the near future. Not sure what we can do yet, but you can bet he will regret leaving me in pain for 14 hours needlessly!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Holliday. I have missed a lot of posts but I plan on catching up when I can.

Any major news I missed out on?

Carolyn
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5938193

This Thread is Closed...

Follow this link.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/935183/
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5938201

Carolyn, what a bunch of medical meyham. Sure hope that you are doing better now.

We moved over to a new page, see the link Dusty posted above. Glad to have you back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America