has anyone fused glass into clay when firing in their kiln?

Ashland City, TN

Hi there. I have a small ceramic shop at my home and I would like to experiment with fusing glass into the clay when I do free hand clay (not using a mold). Has anyone fired glass into their clay project using your own kiln? I especially would like to know about putting the glass on my ceramic beads (while they are still clay). Will coating the shelves with kiln wash keep the melt run off from sticking to the shelves? Any help would be appreciated.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry nobody's answered you yet--you might find more clay/glass people in the Artisans forum. That being said, my gut feel was that it probably wouldn't work too well--I figured that glass and clay might have different firing temperatures, and even if they didn't I thought they would probably expand and contract differently as they heat/cool which could cause problems. But since I don't work with glass or kiln-fired clay I figured I'd do a little googling and see what I could find...here's one website that suggests that I'm right about the expanding/contracting issue, but this guy apparently has come up with some special type of clay that expands/contracts the same way as glass so you can do glass & clay together. I have no idea if it's available for sale anywhere though, but if you google the guy's name maybe you'll find something. http://www.johngrothglass.com/faq.html

Ashland City, TN

Hey, thanks for being kind enough to answer back and take the time to look that up for me...and for mentioning the Artisans forum....didn't have a clue what that was!! I'll switch over there now and see what they're all about.

thanks again

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's some really beautiful work over there--it's fun to look around at what all the talented people there are doing.

Edinburg, TX

I used to lay marbles on the kiln washed shelves to melt them flat for fun. They'd come off easily and all I had to do was sand the bottoms. Some of those cat's eye and striped ones would end up with some really nice designs.

Am thinking the cooling temps and period would be different for clay and glass...but hey, it's worth playing around with.

~ Cat

Ashland City, TN

wow...great idea. Do you remember what cone you would fire them at?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Glass can be fuzed "in" clay if the piece is laid flat with a thumb print to hold the glass.
Try to find articles on "puddle glazes" might be some in Ceramics monthly.
My professor at RIT School For American Craftsmed was a genious at it and has written about his successes.
He used to make tiles and use them to surround mirrors ,tables etc as decorative accents.
Glass melts at a much lower temp than clay no matter what clay body you are using.
If you imbed the glass in wet clay the clay will shrink around it and cracks will appear in the clay.
I wouldnt bother to go there as the clean up would be laborous Good luck with the search.
Jo Ann www.joanngentle.com

Edinburg, TX

Gosh, it's been a good 25 years or so since I melted marbles in a kiln. Am thinking I put them in at the same time I fired glazed pieces...so perhaps it was cone 6. Might have also put them in when firing decals...which was most likely much cooler...perhaps a cone 18 or 21. Guess you could check to see what temperature a marble or glass melts and compare that to the appropriate cone chart.

~ Cat

Ashland City, TN

ok, thanks for the idea...I'll try it next time I fire glazed pieces and after I have read up on melting marbles. thanks again

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have seen students in our college class lay pieces of stained glass in the bottom of a dish and when it was fired it came out beautifully.. They glazed the piece and then put the stained glass in the bottom. Haven't tried it but know it works. You might try it with just a small piece of bisque to see what happens.
By the way, I am trying to get a forum on pottery making etc. Check my thread on Dave's garden discussion forum and see what you think..
I think we could be of great help to each other.
Thanks,
JoAnne

Ashland City, TN

ooohhh, that sounds wonderful, can't wait:)

I ALMOST put some clay with glass laid in the bottom of it in this last firing but chickened out...I have my ceramic inventory up for sale on ebay and I don't want to damage my kiln at the last minute:( so I took it out. I plan on buying a smaller kiln just for pottery work so I will give it a try again later and let you know how it comes out...just gotta get past the "fear" mode and do it!!
thanks for the info...
Merry Christmas

Ashland City, TN

Hey JoAnne (jcoats123), did I see you in the other fourm where they were talking about the new pottery forum? I get all the forums mixed up - but I wanted to post this link Texasrockgarden posted for the vote for the new pottery forum.

For example: Anyone interested in a Pottery and Ceramics Forum, please go the following thread and post up your support. [HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images