Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Tallow

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 10, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5906305

Not sure if I should be posting this here, or in crafts, LOL.

I make venison sausage, and I have a Kosher friend I wanted to make some for... so I found some beef suet at a nearby abitoire. For those who don't know, suet isn't merely beef fat. It's the fat around the kidneys, and has a chunky, waxy texture. So, I cleaned, ground and rendered it. Then I read online that rendering (and straining) three times gives you tallow. Each time it is rendered, it becomes more dense, I guess.

I knew candles were made of tallow. Then I read that tallow used in frying is actually good for you, thanks Sally Fallon! It will sustain a higher heat than any other fat/oil and when cool, can be strained again for re-use. Plus, it's shelf-stable. Granted, you don't want to fry onion rings or chicken in it all the time.

So, part of my tallow will make a candle or two to try; some I will save for onion rings, and some will go for suet cakes for the birds. BTW, suet is very high in winter nutrition for the birds.

Here's part of it... still needs a third rendering.

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5906426

How do you render it?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5906498

In the oven @ about 225F. It renders quickly if run through a meat grinder (or chopped finely). You can do it on top of the stove... one way says to add 2 cups of water to a skillet, and use medium heat. I decided the oven (and no water) was safer.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5906720

What is the added water supposed to do? That method almost sounds like you are making a decoction with the suet.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

December 19, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5906747

I thought the dross boils off with added water. Not sure though. I have a rendering recipe somewhere that calls for using milk and doing the same thing to blend a variety of fats.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5907910

The water collects the particles, separating them from the tallow. It is not mixed in... More than that, I don't know because I didn't use any water in my pot in the oven.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5908801

So it sounds like the added water is used to extract the water soluble component of the suet from the fat portion. Hmmmm...interesting.

When we make medicated oils, we first make a water decoction of the plant material, and then add that to the oil and cook off all the water. The oil absorbs into the skin more readily when it has been medicated in this process. Considering that water is a universal solvent, I wonder if it restructures the fat molecules in some fashion. This makes me wonder what transpires in the oven such that added water is not needed.
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2008
5:37 AM

Post #5910837

Speaking from my experience (purely personal) I prefer water because without it the tallow or lard tends to toast which results in a different flavor. The cracklings interfere with the purity of the rendering.

If you're using tallow or lard in cooking, you may find the waterless (dry) rendering results in a more intrusive flavor which makes pie crust or other recipes less appealing.

For the purest result you have to wet-render.

Carol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5911379

Thanks Carol! I'll try that on my next batch.
emilye
Aurora, CO

December 29, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5940143

You might want to check with your friend before you go to too much trouble. People keep kosher to different degrees. If your friend just avoids pork, there's no problem, but if he or she really keeps kosher in the traditional sense, there's no way they could eat the sausage. If they're ultra-orthodox, they might not even be able to bring it into the house.

To be kosher, all meat products have to be from animals slaughtered according to ritual procedures under rabbinic supervision. They also have to be handled in a prescribed way after slaughter, using equipment that is ritually clean. No milk products or derivatives can be used with the meat, and only certain parts of the animal can be used at all. I'm not sure the fat around the kidney can be made kosher.

Since I don't keep kosher myself, I'm not familiar with the nitty-gritty, just the broad outlines. It gets pretty complicated.

Emily

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5940158

Thanks, Emily. I knew some of that, having been engaged to a Jewish fellow long ago (and raised in a largely Jewish sector of Miami before it became Cuban). They don't keep strict Kosher but it now doesn't matter as they are moving far away... So, the birds get a double treat!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America