Photo by Melody

Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens: Im looking for hollies!

Communities > Forums > Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern GardensReplies: 5, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 20, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5911876

Im looking for hollies and what a treat to find them right in the upper right hand corner of my Home page!

Thanks for the overview. Now I just have to translate to hollies for the Southeast.

I had an idea of mixing hollies with camellias.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5914462

Should work fine! You would have btter luck with Ilex cornuta and I. opaca as they are more tolerant of heat.
holly_grower
Bear, DE

December 28, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5935825

You should have great conditions for growing many hollies, though as Todd mentioned, you might want to try other species such as Ilex cornuta which are better suited to the heat of your summers and relatively mild winters. The Blue Hollies, as a rule, aren't so well suited to the South, but the good news is that you can grow many great varieties which aren't good for us in the North, including numerous new hybrids. There is a great website from Auburn University on "Hollies for the Landscape in the Southeast" which I can recommend for you:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/anr-837.htm

As for camellias and hollies, they're a great combination! They both like the same soil conditions. Gardeners up here are just beginning to discover the newer hybrid camellias, which are much more cold-hardy than the pure species. But you should be able to enjoy them all.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 28, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #5936367

holly-grower:

Thanks for the very relevant information. A lot of commercial landscapers around here (the hospital) use hollies but most residential landscapers stick to the more traditional plants. Not that holly isn't traditional, but azaleas and camellias are staples. If there are trees - they are usually dogwoods.

When I wrote this, people were still pretty skeptical about the hardy camellias.

I hope they are doing well in your area - they are such remarkable plants.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/359/
gin40
Georgetown, TN

February 4, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6093987

You might like to look into some of the variegateg varieties of English hollies. I have listed more than 100 varieties. I have about 15 so far and plan to collect as many as i can.

gin40@charter.net

Carmen
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 5, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6096055

Thanks, Carmen.

Im looking for native hollies.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blue Hollies... darius 0 Dec 20, 2008 7:47 PM
missing berries geraldine87 0 Dec 22, 2008 12:35 PM
Love Hollies erichle 1 Dec 24, 2008 1:52 AM
yellow berry holly bleusky 0 May 6, 2009 2:24 PM
Blue Princess Holly SnoqualmieWA 1 Aug 4, 2009 12:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America