-
AuthorContent
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5912028

It was a huge surprise to find the Gardening History facts posted this morning and one of them being about Wake Island. If you don't know about Wake Island, don't feel bad - it's in the middle of nowhere (or close to it) in the middle of the Pacific, about halfway between Hawaii and Guam. In my Government career I traveled there several times, with the most recent being last year.

The gardening facts have to do with the naturalist Titian Peale and the explorer Charles Wilkes arriving this day (Dec 20) on Wake. The main island (Wake) is horseshoe shaped with 2 islands at the ends of the horseshoe, appropriately named Wilkes Island and Peale Island. Peale Island is now a bird sanctuary; Wilkes was the site of an old PanAm resort hotel back in the 30's-40's before the island was occupied by the Japanese during WWII. I have walked those islands many times (there isn't much else to do there when you have some down time). The island is very beautiful with loads of tropical foliage and interesting WW-II history - not all of it good. However in 2007 there was a super-typhoon that damaged many of the existing buildings and foliage and also brought in (unfortunately) many undesirable birds to the island. There is still a very small workforce there (Air Force managed with about 60 Thai contract workers who do a great job keeping things running) to handle incoming planes and activities. If anyone else is interested in this area, you can find other interesting facts about the island via Google.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5913118

Thanks for the scoop! I don't know if Melody or I came up with that one, but I know I wasn't aware of all that history--good stuff!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #5931670

I remember hearing about that storm from 2006, 180 mph. winds! Here's a thread from the weather forum, with a couple links that are still working

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/646123/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5932418

Pardon my ignorance but what birds are undesirable?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5932549

I don't know about Wake Island, but here the starlings and house sparrows are foreign species that were introduced to North America, and will compete with native species for limited food and habitat. House sparrows will kill bluebirds and some swallows to take over their nest. People with bluebird nest boxes have to be careful to protect them or the house sparrows will take over. They reproduce at a phenomenal rate, too.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5933071

Thank You claypa I did know there was a bird that would terrorize bluebirds. I must have them as the bluebirds do'nt visit here no matter what I buy make or build to attract them. I just wonder what bird could be inhabiting an island such as Wake Island that could be bothersome.
Robin
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5937601

I can't remember all the birds that came in, but after the typhoon, the brown booby population increased significantly and the birds started roosting & nesting on the entire island area instead of just Peale Island (the bird sanctuary), especially in the housing area on the main island. They are a nuisance from the standpoint they will dive bomb you when you're out walking, jogging, etc. Not fun to have a fairly good sized bird dive for your hair. I have some photos of the storm damage, the birds, etc but I don't think this site is set up for posting photos. I'll have to figure out some other place to post.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5937630

Outsideplaying,
I would love to see whatever pictures you have. I had no idea of the headbombing . Are you willing to post pictures if I find the way for you to post them?
Robin

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5938972

We haven't yet decided on whether photos are necessary for this forum, but you can post them in the Bird Watching forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/birdwatching/all/ or in our new BirdFiles feature: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5939239

Terry,
I guess I did not understand that someone had to decide whether or not photos were necessary? I thought photos were an option on all the forums.I How or why may I ask would it need to be a decision? The space the pictures take up on your server? Just curious. I thank you for your suggestion . I think I will wait for response here though and possibly the addition of the picture upload button, as I have used and do use the birdwatching forum and this seems off subject to me. Bird watchers and photographers are pretty serious about the threads.
Thanks
Robin

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5939303

Each forum has several options we can add or leave off, depending on the purpose of the forum.

When I set up this forum, I mentioned to Dave that I wasn't sure there was a real need to post photos here, since most of the events chronicled are from decades (or even centuries) past. Many of them deal with historical figures, and the few existing images that exist are often limited to museums and archives; those types of images generally should not be re-posted elsewhere (and our AUP expressly warns against posting images or content that are not your own.)

If the traffic in this forum picks up and it becomes evident there is a need to post photos here, then we'll certainly "flip the switch." But with just two threads, it seems a little early to reverse our initial decision ;o)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5939331

Terry,
Thank You for the speedy response. I guess I will have to hope that outside playing , Claypa and myself are not the only People with history interests. I am sure there are many and with the4 holidays ending. Will start searching again. I can understand the copyrights issues. That would be true on any of the post though correct?
Outside playing, Still would love to see your pictures.
Robin

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5939753

Robin, yes--the copyright issue is true on any post. Members should only post their own original content, or if they are borrowing, they should obtain permission from the author or photographer first ;o)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5947819

Hi Robin,
We've been so busy during the holidays I haven't had time to sort thru my digital photos and select a few to post. I can post on the bird watching forum as Terry suggested, but if you're interested in additional photos of the other things on the island, I could d-mail those to you. I actually have a few of the birds, but most of my photos are of other features on the island (WW-II history-related buildings & monuments, storm damage, etc). Still interesting, especially for the Pacific history fans.

Terry I understand the decision to not post photos on this forum. It would be unusual unless someone had visited a historic site, etc. My connection at home is a slower broadband so I may wait until I get back to work next week to use the faster speed ability.

Elaine
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5947855

That would be great if you are willing to post on a thread that has the picture ability. Or dmail . Whichever way works and you are willing to take the time to do. My curiosity is causing you work.
I appreciate you sharing.
Robin
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 31, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5947878

There are lots of garden history buffs out there. I will send dmails to be sure they are aware of this great new forum.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5947891

Great Idea Dahlianut!!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5947950

Thanks for helping spread the news! We'd love to hear from members, especially when we've missed an important event (or even when we've botched a date or fact; we can correct it for next year ;o)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #5967549

I was reading, even before dalhianut sent me a dmail. I'm a big time history nut! Thanks, dahlianut. :)
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6033179

Sorry it's taken me so long, but I've posted a few bird photos on the bird watching forum. If anyone wants to see more photos of the island and know of a better forum to post the photos let me know. Or I can send you a few via d-mail.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6033358

Not yet - Maybe Garden Talk, but that's all I've come up with so far. Will think about it a day or 2 unless someone comes up with a better choice.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6034270

Can you put a link here to the site where you posted?
Robin
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6035438

Sure - The bird watching site is:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945100/

Sorry, that last post of mine was something I meant to post on the Bird forum and I posted in the wrong spot.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6036800

I'm posting photos now on the Garden Talk forum.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6036804

Meant to do this:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945317/

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6039668

thanks so much

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Hortiscopes & History Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 21 Feb 6, 2009 4:39 AM
Fanny Farmer!! threegardeners 31 Jul 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Tell us how we're doing, please! Terry 91 Aug 6, 2009 12:12 AM
Giant Snowflake. Did You Know? dahlianut 14 Dec 12, 2009 5:02 AM
Really?? GrammysGardenAZ 5 Jan 28, 2009 9:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America