AuthorContent
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5913937

HELP important
I am a potter (clay), and I have not seen a whole lot of threads regarding this. I feel that there are lots of you out there who do pottery, ceramics who hopefully might be interested in this. So I sent a note to DG admin, asking them to put a pottery forum under crafts. Here is the reply that I recieved."Dave judges how much interest is generated about the new forum proposals and if enough ask and offer to participate in it he will create one." So that sounds GREAT to me and I hope many of you will show interest.
Thanks,
JoAnne
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #5914050

Hi JoAnne, I'd recommend posting your request in the Dave's Garden forum--that's where all the forum requests get made, that way admins only have to pay attention in one place to see if there's enough interest to create a new forum. If you start a thread there you can post a link here so that people know where to go, but it's in that forum that people's "votes" will get counted.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #5914149

Ecrane, thanks,
I went to Dave's Garden forum but being kinda new to this I don't quite understand. Do I just type a thread there?
It looks like the ones that have been posted date way back to 2001. Kinda confused,
JoAnne
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5914168

You would start a new thread, just exactly how you started this one. Go to this page http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/dg/all/ and near the top of the page you'll see "Post a new thread".
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 21, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5914700

I followed the link and found "Starting a new topic:" at the bottom of the page.

I can see your confusion JoAnne. When ecrane goes there and sees Post a new thread near the top and I find starting a new topic at the bottom. I wonder why that is?

There is also a big confusion between potter, ceramicist, ceramic artist, clay artist etc. Some people will only respond to one of the titles.

I sculpt in clay hand built only. I consider myself an artist with clay and a crafts person in other areas, jewelry for instance. All in all everyone that works in clay has some of the same basic problems.

If you start a clay forum in crafts I will add it to my watch list.

To any one out there that may be offended by my "discussion about art vs craft" please don't be. I mention it as this forum could be a place for any an all people that work with clay.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5914883

There's a link at the top of the page that says "post a new thread" (it's right underneath the navigation tabs--I'm sure it is there on your page too). If you click on that link then it takes you to the bottom of the page where it says "start a new topic", or if you'd rather scroll to the bottom of the page you can get there that way too.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 21, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5914930

Thanks now I know two ways to post.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5915362

Wow, Finally think I did it, so check it out. Hope it is in the right place
Thanks for all you help.
Luvs ya'll,
JoAnne
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5915635

Yes, it's in the right place. While you're waiting to see the level of interest for a new forum, you might also consider starting a few new threads here to discuss the things you want, that way even if you don't get your new forum you can still hopefully get some good conversations going.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5915644

Where is it? I would love to see it. Can you put a link in here?
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5916801

ecrane3.
Well can you believe it!! I can't even find it now, I know it was there, because I checked it! What the heck. Tell me where you saw it. I must really be ????? nuts I guess I know it put it under Dave's Garden forum.
Help me find it pleeeze.
JoAnne
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5916814

Don't worry, it's there http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934068/ If you're ever looking for other threads you've started, the easiest thing to do is click on your username in any of your posts, that will take you to your member page and from there you'll see a link to view all the threads you've started. Or at the top of the page right underneath the navigation tabs there's a link called "my info", that'll also take you to your member page.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5917176

Thanks ecrane3
Appreciate your help.
Hope lots of people will see it, especially people who work with ckay.
JoAnne
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5917267

ecrane3 Ok found it Thanks a whole lot. Your help is grealty appreciated. Hope I get results.
JoAnne
gardnrathrt
Payson, AZ

December 23, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5920357

Good for you, Joanne, as a new "potter", (I call it playing with mud,) I can use any and all information available concerning the ability to do creative things with that golb of clay. For instance, how thick do we need that slab of clay to be, and how much is it going to shrink in the drying and firing process.. How dry does it have to be, before it will hold its given shape. Oh, I have a lot of questions.
Any and all tips, are welcome!!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 23, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5921492

The answer to your questions depends on the clay you are using. Shrinkage is one of them. You should check where you got the clay they will be able to tell you about shrinkage. Clay makers use various formulas for their product.

The thickness you need varies as well. Porcelain will work with very thin walls, say 1/8 ". I work with a stoneware clay and use 1/4inch walls most of the time. I would recommend you start somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2". A good way to start is using a tube as a form to work on. You don't have to have the clay as dry so it is easier to learn on. Get a cardboard tube, wind a layer of newspaper around it to make it easier to slip the tube out and use the tube to hold it up. You will need to dry the clay only enough to keep it from slumping when you stand the tube up. You then cut the bottom using the piece on the clay and attach it before you slid the tube out. You need to check the firmness and slid it out as soon as it is ready or keep it wrapped up if you have to leave it. If the clay dries to much it will crack when it shrinks if it is on the tube. This is all by the way it feels so I can't say how much time that will be. If you are using this method start with a 1/2" slab.

A trick for rolling slabs with a rolling pin. Get some wooden slats the thickness you want the clay, put the clay between two slats and use it as your thickness gage.

Once the clay is off of the tube you can alter the shape so you don't end up with a plain old tube. Put one hand inside the other outside and push from the inside if need be push back from the outside. Experiment. A wooden paddle works wonders in shaping a pot. You can use found objects to give it texture.

There is nothing about clay or glazes that is totally predictable. So just play and have fun. There is no rules that say you can't just wedge the clay back into a ball and start over. After a while you even throw things away that you don't like. I just got some work out of a soda fire that all went into the dumpster.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2008
7:08 AM

Post #5926613

arjay 59,
Did you find it?
I hope so as we need lots of responses, and hopefully we will get a forum.
Go to...Dave's garden and discussion forum and you will see it.
Thanks.
JoAnne
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

December 25, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5927153

Zenpotter, I agree with you...

"There is also a big confusion between potter, ceramicist, ceramic artist, clay artist etc. Some people will only respond to one of the titles."

I do pottery, ceramics and crafts (too many to name) and have found that there is a big difference in each. A "pottery" forum would be wonderful and popular I'd bet:) We were just talking about that in another forum I was just in...can't remember which one it was for sure right now. Anyway, I'll put my vote in for the new forum.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5927225

Here is the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934068/
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5930959

Here are a couple of threads some of us who like to play in the mud have contributed to. Looking through these might give you some additional names you could dmail and ask if they're interested in a separate forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/745656/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802873/
gardnrathrt
Payson, AZ

December 27, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5933171

Thank you, zenpotter, I do appreciate your tips. I had no idea there were different formulas for the making of clay. I was asked the other day what cone(?) I was working with, just had to tell her I was prekindergarden, and had no idea.
I am having fun, though, right now trying to master the art of making windchimes. They withstood the 50 mph wind we had the other night, so I do feel good about that. I twist the strip of clay, in fashion of candy cane, beginning with about 8 in strip, and graduating to about 4 in. I attach them to a piece of driftwood with fish line. No two groups sound alike.
I also made my great-gran-son, using cookie cutters, to make an impression of his baby sis, little boy with bib overalls, butterfly, ball, mommy, daddy, and sun over garden fence. Drawback, I could glaze only one side because of waxing back, so will use acrylic paint to finish backs. Now that I think of it, I could be doing that today, as it is about 26 degrees here,,, not a good for gardening. Then now that I think about, It might be a good day to clean my plants in the greenhouses. Well, I will give all of the above more thought!!!
PS. I have 2 daughters in the Minneapolis area, and they laughed at me this morning when I was whining about our temperatures.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #5934871

gardnrathrt,
Whinner, don't you feel guilty?
For shame!!!
Why don't you put a picture of your wind chimes on here, so that we can all copy?
JoAnne
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 28, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5937009

Mpls is a cold place. If only most of my family wasn't here I would be long gone.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #5973352

gardnrathrt--know what you mean!! I only did pottery in Japan--never met a cone in my life?!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #5981909

I started ANOTHER request for the new forum, and linked jcoats123's previous request to it.

Here's the link to the new request:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/940870/
gardnrathrt
Payson, AZ

January 11, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #5991075

BRAVO!! imapigeon BRAVO!!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM
Guess what this will be? jcoats123 15 Jan 23, 2009 4:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America