Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc.

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 192, Views: 1,573
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5915325

I hope enough DG'ers read this so we can get a new forum on the subject. This is all new to me. Anyhow I sent a message to DG admins. regarding a new forum and this is the message I recieved. "Dave judges how much interest is generated about the new forum proposals, and if enough ask and offer to participate in it he will create one."
So I am sure anxious to see how many of you will respond. From what I have read in artisans it appears that there lots of interest. I know we could be of great help to each other regarding glazes, firing, clay, slab work and sculpture, among many things that I have left out.
I hope I made myself clear as i'm not great on words.
Here's hoping for a new forum.
Thanks for listening and thanks for your help on how to do this.
I am tellin' you, the people on DG are the BEST !
JoAnne
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5916862

Yes I want the thread!!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 22, 2008
11:45 AM

Post #5917912

I would enjoy having a clay forum.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2008 5:46 AM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2008
10:25 AM

Post #5921062

I am an old potter,sculptor clay person.I also paint.
Yippeee for the forum.
Hope it 's a all ahead "go" for this new forum..
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2008
10:32 AM

Post #5921066

Yep...me, too. I would love such a forum!

This message was edited Jan 6, 2009 2:03 AM
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5921994

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hahome/all/ or http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/artisans/all/ are great places to post and talk about this type of work.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5922959

I've done this pottery thing a few times. (smile)

A Pottery and Ceramics Forum would be a great place to hang out.

I vote Yes to the new forum.

Jerry
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5922992

Perhaps every time one of us posts to any of the threads on Dave's Garden website we could include a short paragraph to include the link to this thread.

For example: Anyone interested in a Pottery and Ceramics Forum, please go the following thread and post up your support. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934068/

I am going to TAG this thread so I can easily locate it from anywhere on this website. That way I can open this thread and copy the URL to paste in any post I might be working on.

The name of my TAG is "Pottery and Ceramics Forum"

This message was edited Dec 23, 2008 4:45 PM
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5923285

I would definitely be interested. Although the Artisans forum is a great place to chat about clay- and kiln-related topics, several of the people who have posted entries on threads I've started there have said they "stumbled onto it" and didn't expect to find so many clay addicts on DG.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5923300

I'm retired from pottery but always like to see whats doing with other potters.
4oaks
Cord, AR

December 25, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5927142

I would like to see a pottery forum, too. Don't know much about working with clay, but it's always been a something I want to try after retirement, and I have plenty of time to devote to it. I learn so much from the many forums here on Dave's Garden!
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

December 25, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5927171

I'm very interested in a pottery forum also. I will also post the link (per Texasrockgarden's suggestion) cause we were just talking about a Pottery forum in one of the other forums ...I think it may have been the craft forum...can't remember but I will go find it.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

December 26, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5928000

YES! YES! YES!!!
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5928011

A big thumbs up for a special forum for the clay arts!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5929138

Yes, I would be all for it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5929704

I'm too, I meant I'm in. Keeping my fingers crossed for a pottery forum too.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5929792

In the meantime (hint, hint), try one of the Crafts forums: either Artisans (open) or Crafts and Decorating (available only to subscribers) could probably stand an infusion of new energy and postings. If you find the pottery threads start crowding out everything else going on in that forum, then it becomes an easy "sell" to get a new forum ;o)
gardnrathrt
Payson, AZ

December 27, 2008
6:06 AM

Post #5931929

hey there, ms jcoats, wrong side of river, potter, that bird house you did today is the BEST!!!!. I was thinking the pot you made a few days ago was the best, but you out did yourself this time. Tell them about the totem you are making section by section, that will be about 6-8 feet tall when you get all your sections rounded up.
gardnrathrt,, a true gardener at heart.
Oh, by the way, I received 4 seed/plant catalogs in today's mail. Fun! Fun!
gardnrathrt
Payson, AZ

December 27, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #5931967

count me in on that pottery thread. as a prekindergardener in pottery class, I need any and all info and tips anyone can share. So far, I seem to be doing good at windchimes, but would love to make a birdhouse, as shown by joanne, the potter on the wrong side of the river.
Hey, that ain't funny, I got caught a couple years ago, as the river suddenly came roaring down, just a few minutes after I had crossed it. Joanne assured me it would go down in about 2-3 hours enough I could cross it, so we found a wet log, sat down and watched the water roar, and just as it was getting dark, 3 1/2 hours later, I drove through water up to my door, SCARED TO DEATH, but made it across. There was NO water in that wash, as I drove through it, but could suddenly hear the roar, and I knew I was in the wrong place. Will never ever forget that experience!!!
Pauline
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #5932204

Does anyone have pictures of there work that they can share?
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 27, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5932486

jcoats what are your totems like? Here is a photo of mine. They are 7' tall. I am going to put a third one in front of our house, these are in our backyard. They are made from stoneware fired to cone 10 and stay outside year round. They are on a steel pole cemented 3' into the ground.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5932613

Oh, how marvelous your work is! fired to cone 10 and being able to withstand 4b zone wheather? I definately want to get into pottery! Thanks all for sharing your wonderful 'scuptures'! You're so talented!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 27, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5932717

Thank you. Yes I have a lot of clay sculpture that has survived many winters. It is survival of the fittest here in the cold north.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 27, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5933095

Zenpottter that is great so much fun . Can you tell me the name of the tree just behind your totem with the orange blossom?
Robin

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 27, 2008
7:16 PM

Post #5933214

Is that Mountain Ash? I've two small seedlings and don't quite know where to plant them.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5933815

Zenpotter,
I had seen that before when I was looking for some things. I thought that at the time,Wow, that is fab!!!!
I really like it, love the colors too..It's such fun looking at other potter's work and getting ideas. Mine is quite different than yours. Mine are all round cylinders of different heights. I think I am almost done, but want to wait untill the weather gets a little nicer outside, before I put it up. I will post a picture when I do.
Why did you put yours 3 feet in the ground? Just curiousI dread trying to dig a hole for mine,will probably have to get the jackhammer out. This ground is alsmost one solid rock.
Thanks for sharing,
JoAnne
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 28, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5937026

Yes the tree is a Mountain Ash. I hope it makes it we are getting Ash borer here and a lot of Ash trees are dying.

I put it 3' down because of it's weight and height combination.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5937359

zenpotter, nice totem-poles. how do you keep water from collecting in them and freezing and breaking?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5937875

Love the Totem poles.

I am hoping to get started back into my pottery tomorrow. I have a friend who owns a shop who is begging me to come "Play" on Mondays. I found a great new book on hand building. Guess I am hooked again.
Grand sons are coming out Tuesday for a "Play Day" I think I'll turn them loose with a bag of clay and see what they can build.

Betty

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5937992

Boys! Don't I wished we were related, Betty. So I can invite myself over and join in with your grands LOL. I can be their foster granny.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5938008

Sign me up, too! All I have are grand-DOGS.
I'm thinking about setting up time with the neighborhood children so I can fake having grand-KIDS!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5938067

Imig, sounds like good "dry runs" that we can learn the skills of being grannies. lol. We've grown children, but not yet grandchildren. Few years past I was more concern about having more "me time" but lately, the yearning for small grandchildren sorta over taken me, I don't know how that was. lol.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5938098

Our DS is 31 now, and was married for 3 years to a young lady who decided she didn't really want to be married after all. Broke his heart. Now he's focusing on other things (good choice).. I don't see any grandchildren in my near future, so I have to devise alternatives so I'm not pressuring him...LOL!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5938153

None of our kids are married yet. Thus pressuring is a non-issue here. But wishing to the highest of Stars for future blessings.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5938194

I think mine are through with making babies. Five is fun, just wish they were all close enough to hug.

Yes, all you want to be "Grands" join us.

Kim, You know how full my basement is, The boys have a ball turned loose down there with all of my "Toys". LOL

Ima, You can use two of my Grand babies who live in Pasadena.

Betty
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5938982

No grand kids here yet either. my kids are 22 and 24 and neither is married.
I did get a new puppy yesterday though. He is 6 months old and very shy. He was rescued from a puppy mill about two weeks ago. My sister had him for almost that whole time. She fosters poodles and here I am with a miniature poodle. We thought we were going to get a German Shepherd when we got our next dog.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5939896

Pictures, please!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5940121

Here is the new baby. To give you an idea of how small he is his duck is 5"

Thumbnail by zenpotter

zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 29, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5940132

Here is the new baby with our 10 year old ruler of the house. We lost our 12 year old cat to FIV on Dec. 16th. The cat stands about 2" taller than the puppy.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5941583

Zenpotter
Love your Totems, they sure seem to add interest in the Garden.

I hope to join in with discussion and sharing on the Artisans forum. I am taking a pottery class starting next month! I'm so excited because the last time I did any wheel throwing was 27 years ago!
Here are my ANTIQUE TOOLS!! LOL I just found them the other day and they haven't met up with clay for Much toooo many years!

Looking forward to meeting and sharing with all of you Potters!
~Kin

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin

zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

December 30, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5941877

The tools haven't changed. Have fun.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
7:24 AM

Post #5963794

I'd be interested in a forum specifically for pottery. I am a ceramics teacher and potter myself, so I'd love to read and share.
I usually don't go to the crafts or artisans forums much, but I would frequent one on pottery because of the specific subject matter.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 4, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #5964298

I was posting on the artisans forum for awhile, but had to stop since I mainly work with female nudes. I am working with other subjects a bit more these days, but I am working with nude raku. Nothing to do with nudity.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 5, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #5968939

I spent Saturdays at a kiln when I was living in Japan. Two years and absolutely loved it!! DH has no idea how badly I want to get back into it. I keep looking around here for the pot throwers forum -and found a few really interesting projects and people---love the totems and how DO they stay solid and drain?! It's much harder to ask for advice on an artisans forum -feels a bit like interrupting the pros with how to write the alphabet.

What I need is a cheap wheel and kiln and forum and...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #5968989

Grownut, you and I have similiar interest. To get started somewhere with our pottery hobby. :-)

Betty (picabo) and others that could help me with some basic knowledge on finding a kiln for a beginner pottery.

What should I look for in a used kiln? There is a local add for one with old molds that use 120 v.

Have you a pic. of what that kiln may look like? What type of housing do I need for them? We've a separate garage, will the kiln be safely kept there while firing? Thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #5969142

I'm not sure a bunch of random Q & A on this thread will convince admin of interest as much as some new threads on those Q&A topics over in the Artisans or Crafts & Decorating forum, as Terry suggested.

I'm interested in following along on pottery discussions, but I'm not sure we need a separate forum for them at this point. :-)
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 5, 2009

Post #5969143

The totems are hight fired so they stay solid and I have 4 small drain holes one the bottom of each one as well as the hole for a heavy steel rod that goes through them all.

When I get more time I will talk some about kilns.

This message was edited Jan 5, 2009 10:51 AM
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 5, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #5969212

critter,

There have been a lot more clay people active in this thread than ever have been on the other forums. I think if there was a forum for clay it would be nice.

It seems to be the old problem "is clay art an art or a craft"? The artist forum seems to be mainly 2-D. The crafts and decoration forum rarely has clay discussions or questions.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #5969518

Zen, that's a good point, but it still seems like the forum could get a head start with some active threads on one of those 2 forums... it may just be a matter of people needing to figure out where the buzz is.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #5969556

Much of what's on Artisans is painting and drawing; I think that's great for those artists, but it's not anything I can relate to, as I can't do either...just makes me envious...LOL! Another forum I particularly enjoy is Mosaics and Stained glass, which seems to be about the same "level" of forum as one on clay arts could be, and that one gets a lot of really interesting traffic. I've never seen anything clay-related in the Crafts and Decoration forum.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #5969903

I agree with Ima and Zen. Two dimensionsal work (painting and drawing) is quite old. Three dimensional work (clay and sculpting) is as old or older. Being able to work in 3 dimensions is an art form in itself. And it is not the same at all.

One of the oldest artifacts is Venus de Willendorf, a limestone sculpture, but 3 dimensional, and possibly older than the caves of Lascaux where the artifacts are painted therefore 2 dimensional. The earliest Egyptian work was done in clay, so is the work from prehistory's Mesopotamian region, some utilitarian, but all 3 dimensional.

Just my opinion, but it is a separate art form.

So if it is decided that there is not enough interest for a forum, then threads are the only way to go, and it looks as if there is enough interest and talent here to create several threads. There are those who do thrown work, there are the slab builders, there are the coil builders, there are those who continue to do utilitarian projects, and there are those who sculpt. All different but all the same.

Isn't there a basket forum here, and basketmaking is a craft, I think.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #5970102

Well said Sharran!
I vote again, for a Pottery, clay, ceramics, kilns, firing, sculpture ect. forum!
goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #5970168

Me too! I believe that the clay artists will feel more "home" in a forum of their own. And then they would definitely interact more. Right now, may of them present their work in other forums than Artisans, forums where they feel good posting. And it is harder for them to find others with the same interest. In the Artisan forum, they may be overwhelmed by other more frequently displayed creations.

Be it either hobby, craft or art form (classification is in the eye of the beholder), I strongly believe in a separate, independent forum for it. I would have it on my favorites and I know I will learn a lot and see much more than I see now. There are some wonderful works in clay that I've seen in the SW forum, and I'm sure there might be others posting, scattered in other forums that I don't visit often.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to give them a home?

Alexandra
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 5, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #5970235

I hadn't even thought of looking in other forums like SW. I wonder what I have been missing. Yet another reason to have our own forum.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #5970293

Sharran, actually there IS a basketweaving forum!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/weaving/all/
Dave makes baskets, and posted some photos in the Artisans forum, and a bunch of people said he should set up a basket forum...voila!

There have been several postings about kiln-related topics in the Trash to Treasures forum, too, because of glass-fusing work. I wonder if there would be a way to include all crafts that use kilns...? That would broaden the appeal and provide a good place for people to ask questions about firing issues.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #5970331

Maybe "Kiln Fired Art"
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #5970348

OOOhhhh---I like that! Maybe "Kiln Fired Art (Clay, Glass, etc.)"?

This hypothetical forum would also encompass copper enameling (which I would LOVE to know more about), as it involves a kiln as well!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #5970449

That's what I thought, too. Also any kind of art that requires heat fusion.
Lots of wind chimes are made that way.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #5970559

zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 5, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #5970645

"Fire Arts" ?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #5970730

Or maybe "Fired Arts", yes.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #5970778

LOL...for those of us who are visually challenged, that might look like "Fire ANTS" and get us a very different set of users...;-}
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #5970814

OK, back to Kiln Fired Arts...too funny, fire ants.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #5971211

Clay, Kilns, and 3-D Art Forms. Really there is so much potential subject matter, I think trying to isolate an existing forum to start threads on can be difficult. Duffers like myself don't feel like "Artisans" is the place. Mosaics and glass may get some of the slump people, but really the type of art form and requirements/skills are entirely different. Concrete and hypertufa can be sculptural, but there're no cool glazes, or kilns.

I suppose we could get ornery and subversive and think up a list of threads to start on several forums, ask any and all interested to post, and launch a fantabulous attack but...Dave's has treated me very well thus far...
alixstone
Hickory, NC

January 6, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #5971240

YES to the forum. and yes to Kiln Fired Arts title. It makes the DIY interest clear. I've been looking desperately for an illustrated how-to book on miniature fired clay figurines for outdoor and indoor use in penjing and miniature landscapes. Anybody know of one?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #5971272

Oh wow I just really looked back at the copper enameling?! I'm in for KFA!!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #5971520

Wondered if that one response sounded more flippant than I meant...There are sooo many discussion worthy questions we could pose if a concerted effort were made to bring them up. Sadly, I don't know enough to begin it...
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #5972086

I don't know where my post above went. LOL Guess I hit the delete instead of send.

Most of what I do is hand built or sculpture. Most fired in a traditional kiln. I do love to pit fire or sawdust fire when I have the time.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #5972124

All these questions and suggestions are valid. There are so many aspects to clay/kiln/glass/enameling/pit firing...and it seems as if most of us are very interested. I taught studio art for many years before retiring a couple of years ago. Art n garden also teaches ceramics. Imapigeon, Zenpotter...there are many that I recognize who have worked in clay all their lives and would have so much to contribute to a forum.

And grownut, you probably know more than you realize, and if we could have a forum, just think what you would learn.

One of my favorite things is to make miniature landscapes, and that is one of the things I am going to work on for myself next summer. I like to make things for my garden, whether pots or just garden designs or decorations.

What do you think about showing us a photo of some of your work right here on this thread. Just one thing you have made or maybe want to make. And if you have never made anything and would just like to learn, then tell us that. I have a copper enameling kiln, I haven't used it in years, but would in a heartbeat if I were so inspired.

I also want to make one of those pots that looks like the bust of a person, with live plants becoming the hair. There was a grouping of them in one of the photo calendar entries, and I think it was one of the winners. It wasn't done in clay, I don't think, but it could be.

We could make pots, we could make windchimes, miniature landscapes, sculpted pieces, copper enameling would make great windchimes, we could learn raku, wheel work, it's unlimited, but there would have to be enough of us to warrant it. And of course, there is always the DG Marketplace where work like that could be sold.

I will try to get some photos together to post tomorrow, how about you?

zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 6, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #5972454

I will get some photos together of what I am currently doing.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #5972469

I'm very interested to see your posting. I'm eager to learn more.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #5972976

I think Admin. has forgotten to look at this thread...to see how many are interested in a new forum...OHH DAVE!! TERRY! MELODY!!

My DD had a kiln...I wonder if we could brush the dust off and fire it up again...Jo
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #5973200

Being brave here in a good cause...here are two of the items remaining to me from my stint in Japan...I was just getting comfortable with the wheel and learning how to run the gas kiln (don't know what this is called in English, but run it) low oxygen to get a good variety of colors. The teapot was done that way and the mug was supposed to be a nice smokey, mossy green, with maybe a few bright spots. But Sensei changed everything just for me 'cuz westerners like bright colors' and ran it wide open, resulting in that nice vivid mustard you hopefully see (Dijon at least, not French's)
( And the twisted handle is for holding the mug directly)

ps. I'm NO photographer...

Thumbnail by grownut

grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #5973205

Amateurish Japanese teapot...

Thumbnail by grownut

goofybulb
El Paso, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #5973353

I also think that Admin forgot about this thread... Please do consider starting this new forum. There is much more interest for it than it appears! Some Crafts forums were created directly by Dave and even though they are not as busy as other forums, they have their own (Scrap booking, Basket weaving).

Fired Arts can have so much to contribute to one's garden, I think they can be so much related to garden and gardening. Unique pots and planters, sculptures, the signs in your garden, flower stands, windchimes, all contribute to what we each call "MY garden". And they were all made by somebody, with talent and sweat. There are a few somebodies that would like to get together in your garden, Dave!

And getting them together would be to the benefit of all others (not necessarily for the artists themselves). It will be for everyone to see beautiful things, and practical AND beautiful things that can enrich ones garden (and house...), a source of inspiration and relaxation to us all.

Please Dave, start a Fired Arts (or Clay, Kilns, and 3-D Art Forms) forum for us!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #5973356

grownut, your cup looks very functional and the handle is beautiful---something I always struggle with. And the teapot is wonderful too, with a lid that obviously fits very nicely! Part of the adventure of firing a gas kiln is the difference in glaze colors from one firing to another. I mostly do "reduction" but I only have a limited amount of control over that.

My most recent firing, on the 30th, had to be shut down before it reached temperature because it was stalled out for several hours, and it was 4:00 a.m. and I couldn't deal with it any more. I think I know what I need to do to get it right, but I haven't been able to face it again... I have a huge load of tiles in it for my next project, so I need to get my act together.

I haven't been throwing much lately. For the past two years I've been working on tiles like these that I've inset into my front walkway and courtyard floor.

Here's a link to my blog that shows some of the tile projects I've done at my house.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/imapigeon/10010/

This message was edited Jan 6, 2009 10:34 AM

Thumbnail by imapigeon

grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #5973368

Reduction is what I am most interested in -I think!! Love all the variations from one piece to the next, one firing to the next. Could not access that link...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #5973500

Darn---I always forget that I have to go in as someone else to send a link to my own journal!!! Can you please try again and see if I got it right this time?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #5973551

Grownut, great pieces, both of them, I love the teapot. Thanks for showing us. I have never used a gas fired kiln, only electric, or raku, and with the latter I have not had very many happy experiences.

Hey Jo...thanks for joining us.

Ima, I remember looking at your photos earlier, and it made me want to get a series of tiles done, so will be nice to take a look again at your work.

I'll be back soon with photos.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009

Post #5973552

Perfect! Yes, love that you are doing your own tiles! Now I want a use for MY own tiles.lol. Nothing like putting the cart before the horse and giving the horse a good 'smack'!! I have a few hand done dishes and would love to get to where I'm making my own stuff for the garden. Somehow the really utilitarian stuff just floats my boat--get a kick out of serving on plates that I've made etc. And I want ollas. Lots of ollas. Off-loading is fun too...Never got good enough to do the bigger types of pieces, but it would be fun.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #5973577

Yes, hand-thrown earthenware ollas are on my list for this year, too! I was inspired by a DG article, and looked them up on the internet for more info. I love the ones on High Country Gardens website. In fact, the reason I haven't planted the two pots either side of the garage is that I want to make ollas for them first.

I'd better stop sitting in front of the computer and get out to the yurtio and get busy. I only have a few more days of vacation, but it looks like I will be RETIRING the first week in February----so I need to start disciplining myself more...LOL!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #5973580

Pretty please!! It's rather embarrassing having those out there...I need more company!! Ima's here, but for protective covering I want more pics...Took a raku workshop once. But once is never enough...the firing was done in a barrel stuffed with alkinastuff...I've got so much to learn I hardly know where to start. Learning the language for one, so I know what it is I know-lol.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #5973584

oooh boy. We're on hold here waiting for a project to start and it's pouring outside. I could always clean house... ...I saw the ame olla article.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #5974237

Here are some photos...

A vase that is too high on a shelf for me to get without pulling in a ladder, so can only show you one side.
Made from coils.

Made some similar from slab, too.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #5974241

Wheel thrown, made by a friend ...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #5974307

Also from that class, same friend, and this is slab made

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #5974327

My orange bowl that I wanted to show you is in my garden bench, it is raining so I am not inspired to go outside at the moment. I also have some small yellow sculpted elephants to show you as well, but where they are, I simply don't have any idea. They will turn up when I least expect them.
So as I find things, I will show them. I do give a lot of my pieces away as gifts, so there are not very many here.

Those above that were made by others came from one of the classes that I taught some time ago. But I thought they were good quality products, and since I taught the class, that counts too. :-)
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #5974329

Lovely glaze. I'm fascinated at that slab made vase...guess I forgot or never thought what you can do that way. Seems like the joining would take a bit of practice...Are there many good books on ummm, 'slabbery'??
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #5974348

I'm really glad you're sharing. I'm remembering more and more how MUCH I enjoyed doing this and how much I miss it. And the nice google thing just told me Calvert City's less than 2hrs way...just don't let me start smellin' clay...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #5974374

Yep, not to far away at all. Maybe we can do something serious about it.

I'll look through my books to see what I have on "slabbery"...
But if we had a forum, we could learn together, you know?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 6, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #5974481

That's what I'm hoping for...there's so much to talk about with pottery...so many variables that just beg to be discussed...
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 7, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #5976528

There are a lot of handbuilding books that talk about working with slabs.
Here are three books that I particulary like in order of preference. "Clay: Hand Building" by Maurice Sapiro; "Handbuilding Pottery Masterclass: by Josie Warshaw and "Potter's Workshop" by Jenny Rodwell.

Do any of you work with Naked Raku? I am trying to and having difficulties with the process. It has nothing to do with nudity your don't have to work nude don't worry.
beth_donovan
Easton, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #5976719

Oh, oh, I want this forum, please!

I'm not a great potter, but I get better with age, kinda like wine. Right now, you could call me a Boone's Farm Strawberry potter, and I need input to improve!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #5977257

Hey zen, if you're referring to raku minus the glaze, yes I've done a bit----mostly using terra sig.

beth, I think I'm still in the Gallo jug phase myself...LOL!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #5977519

There is another book called "Ceramics A Potter's Handbook" that is fairly all inclusive because it discusses the history of, all methods including how to make your own glazes, and the different types of kilns, building your own, etc. Excellent photos for each avenue, also. Authors are Glenn C. Nelson and Richard Burkett.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #5977539

That was my first textbook when I started taking classes in SoCal Community College in 1972---it's always been an outstanding reference!

"Handbuilt Ceramics", which I believe is the Lark book zenpotter recommended to me last year, is excellent for handbuilding techniques. One of my favorite resources on making tiles is "Handmade Tiles", by Frank Giorgini.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #5977563

Yes, it is used as a textbook, although I have had it more as reference. Also have Handbuilt Ceramics, too. Another great book. The Potter's Handbook is in its 6th edition, so it seems to be used often as a teaching tool.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 7, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #5977879

Here is a photo of the Naked Raku that I have done. The three on the left are what it should look like the four on the right not so good. This is from two separate firings.

The process includes putting a slip on the pot, then a glaze both of which should come off after being cooled off in the water. I had to scrape and scrape to get the look on the left. I couldn't get the rest off.

I am not sure if it was fired to high, the recipes were off or what.

Thumbnail by zenpotter

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #5977975

It is so hard to get a stable temp for raku, and I guess a lot depends on the combustible material used for heating. I have not done it for a long time, but loved it when I did. I would like to get back into it again.

I could not get the picture large enough to see surfaces, Zen. They do look interesting, though.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #5978019

zen, the pieces I've done with terra sig came out looking like yours----and I thought that was how they were SUPPOSED to come out. I've never had glaze or slip come off in the water when I did raku. So I guess I don't know what "naked raku" is after all...LOL!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #5978032

I thought I knew, too, but maybe I don't . Tell us Zen.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 7, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #5978554

Here is a rough explanation and a video of the process.

After the clay is bisque fired you put on a slip that is going to keep the glaze from fixing to the the clay. after the slip dries you put on the glaze. Both slip and glaze come off after firing.

In this video he puts wax on where he wants black on the one pot, he also scratched areas for the black and let the black all be random by just letting the slip and glaze crack.

The video is only visual. The process is: bisque fire, put on a special slip then the glaze. Heat to the melting point, put in saw dust whatever to make the smoke and then cool off. The black is from the smoke where the marks were made the wax applied or the slip and glaze cracked. He cooled the pots off by putting water on them. I have put them in the water. The glaze and slip chip off and are scrubbed off to give the white and black.

In my photo the left side is where the slip and glaze came off the right where they didn't. Where it worked right the surface is as smooth as it was before the process began. You do need to have a smooth surface for it to work properly. It is a strange process. I have found many slip and glaze recipes for the process. The two times I did it the recipes were the same.

On the pots on the left side the slip did not all come off. I don't know if the recipe needs to be changed the temperature or both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNgFFilCiug

Here is a photo of two pots side by side. The one on the left being right the one on the left the slip and glaze did not release. As for the surface it is intended to be smooth. I found that both the pots I put white terrasig and the ones I didn't came out the same color.

Thumbnail by zenpotter

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #5978596

OK, got it, but that process isn't something I have done. But now, I want to do it.

This is what a Kiln Fired Arts forum would give us, don't you think? I would love to learn new techniques, new looks for pottery.

I need to get a bunch of new tools for raku firing, though. And your post just reminded me.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 7, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #5978611

We do need a forum. How do we get it beyond this thread?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #5978652

Not sure, we probably need more posts, I guess. More people, I just don't know.

I want to do miniatures this spring, all surrealist style buildings that can be also used as planters, but small enough to bring in before freezing weather. I will probably just do them all slab, but you have made me want to also do raku.

All of it would be much better if we had a group to share with. I love your totems, but wonder how they would do here, do you have trouble with breakage in winter? I do, and am not sure how to control that.

Yes we do need a forum.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #5978970

I just posted a thread re-requesting the new forum, and including the revised parameters we came up with. Hopefully there's enough support to get it started!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/940870/
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #5979001

Excellent, well done...thank you for doing that. And I do hope it happens, because of all the arts, I think this one applies well to gardening.

grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 8, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #5979103

Boy the wonderful stuff that happened while I was away. So very, very glad to hear of those books. You've kindly given me suggestions before, but with someone as completely at sea as myself even isolating an introductory text can boggle the mind...;-)

Zen -love the raku! the mess-up one is really interesting in texture too, actually.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #5979662

I Love the Naked Raku. I have seen pieces but didn't know how it was done. I fired a hand made bird in the Kiln today If it doesn't explode I want to try that process.

We are already learning on our new Forum that doesn't exist Yet... hint, hint Dave. ;~)

This is a pot that I Sagger fired a couple of years ago. I took a class when I fired this but would need a gas Kiln to do it at home.

Thumbnail by picabo

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #5979668

Great Pot!!! Picabo, tell us how you did that.

And why would you need a gas kiln for it?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 8, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #5979739

Love that pot!! And ditto what Sharran said. Love the mixture of textures going on in that one. Guess I'm looking up Sagger firing along with everything else...lol.

sorry, Naked raku...
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #5979743

This is a Raku fired tile wall hanging that I made of one of my dogs. I threw the slab to get the rough edges then carved in the dog figures. Then it was fired using mat and Gloss Copper glazes.

Thumbnail by picabo

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #5979774

I love that wall tile, gorgeous texture in there, and great color.

Beautiful work, too.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 8, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #5979798

You know, I've been sitting here thinking how nice it is to talk pottery with people who are NOT insane old men who keep everything a secret. Never could get a straight answer out of him, but you could sling mud all day long...
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #5979813

The pot was wheel thrown and then glazed. I wrapped parts with shreds from Copper pads for more texture. It was then sealed in an envelope made from thin Stainless steel (Don't hold me to the Stainless Steel part, it was a piece of metal much thicker than aluminum Foil) I think the Instructor was Nan Jacobsohn http://www.piedmontcraftsmen.org/indv-artist.php?aid=50
Her classes are well worth the money if you ever get a chance to study with her.

You need a Gas Kiln to be able to control the airflow better than I can do in my Electric Kiln. The "Envelope" helps to seal out the air but they said the gas Kiln was a must.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #5979875

Yep, grownut, exactly.

Thanks Picabo, I have never used a gas kiln, but I sure like the effect you got with it.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #5980964

You are about to learn something new. You can use a sagger in and electric kiln. You build a clay box and fire it. It becomes the chamber you use as a sagger. It needs to be big enough that you can put the pot inside it, then put combustibles around it. Seal it off with wet clay and let it dry or use a kiln blanket to seal it. Something that will keep the smoke inside the chamber. The sagger works like the stainless steel envelope but does not harm the electric kiln.

You can also do sagger firing in a barrel or pit. I have done a lot of both and am having a blacksmith build me a particular barrel that I want.

If you are interested here is a great book for that. "Barrel, Pit and Saggar Firing A collection of Articles from Ceramics Monthly" Edited by Sumi von Dassow.

I just got another good book last week. Alternative Kilns and Firing Techniques by James C. Watkins and Paul Andrew Wandless. It is put out by Lark Books. I have never met a Lark book I didn't like.

Dave we do need that forum. Do you realize how many clay people won't see this because they won't look for it here?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #5981092

I have a neighbor with a walk in Kiln. Every year we talk about sharing firing cost. I have let my Clay Arts "slip" to the side (get the pun? LOL) for other interest and have not done that much in the past couple of years. Another friend and I have promised ourselves to do more clay work this year. Monday is going to be our day to hang out at a friends shop, help her and rekindle our interest in this fun hobby. I was going to call her today and ask what she knows about the Naked Raku. There are several professional potters in the area that hang out at her Studio, makes you want to play in the mud when you walk in the door.

I have also heard that you can Saggerfire in Clay Flower pots. Never tried it. Another reason why I want the Gas Kiln is so I can move it outside to fire. My Electric Kiln is a cone 6 and is inside the basement. I need to have a plug installed outside so I can move it out for Raku and Smoke firing. I have an even smaller Kiln that I use for Raku and can move it outside without too much trouble.

I have several pottery books, and think I have the one you mentioned
"Barrel, Pit and Saggar Firing". I remember that it is a collection of articles from Ceramics Monthly.

Betty
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009

Post #5981526

Thanks, Zen...
I did not know that, but makes perfect sense. That's what I get for resting on my laurels and not looking for or studying all the new methods that came out in the past 15+ years. Now I want to do it all.

How thick should the walls of the clay box be? Just enough to be fire-able, like the terra cotta pots?

Aaarrrgggghhhhh...we need a forum for this, then we could divide the topics into threads...so much to learn and I want to know it all.

And Betty...hmmmmm, Nashville is only a hundred miles from me.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #5981644

Come on down and Play. There are several places that have great workshops around here. The weekend ones are usually good.
I'll let you know when something real fun is happening.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #5981698

Sounds like a plan...

Have you noticed how our list of interested folks is growing on the other request thread. This is an exciting thing, and really much needed.

We'll have all kinds of garden art with that many people.

As gifts to some of my gardening friends, I made tiles, some with inlaid fused glass, and put them in stepping stones. They were quite striking really till I realized I needed to make the glass areas smaller because they get really slick when wet! It was a duh! moment.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #5981707

Help me out, which other request thread. Have I lost track?

I figured it out some how it never got to my watch this thread list.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2009 11:25 AM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #5981729

you found it??? It is the one where Ima made the request to admin.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #5981858

I decided that maybe this thread wasn't getting admin's attention, and we sort of changed our scope---so I linked this thread to a new request with a more specific title. If you look at the amount of activity, and the number of names that have participated in this thread (THANK YOU grownut for doing that!!) I think we have a lot of support from users.

I posted a new thread with the same title in Trash to Treasure, Artisans and Mosaics and Stained Glass forums because I've seen kiln-related posts there. I asked users of those forums to add their comments to the new forum. I'll link those threads as well. I did a search for "kiln" and found several threads which I also linked to my new request.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 8, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #5982582

I'm very glad you did all that. There are a few more names of people who have posted but didn't specifically request pottery (KFA). Didn't want to run away with something. But I think we could get quite a few more if there's a respectable way to hit 'em up for listing privileges...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #5982655

Thanks Ima...glad you did that too.
I hope it works. I am getting fairly passionate about it now. And I have a couple hundred pounds of white clay just waiting for me!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #5983073

Nashville's not that far either...what I wouldn't give...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #5983294

Yep...keep thinkin' Grownut. We might just have to make a plan.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #5983305

I like to connive...or do I need to tell any one that!!lol... did you check out the Karatsu link on my kiln thread? This is the stuff I just love...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #5983341

Nope, where is your kiln thread?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #5983512

Artisans.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #5984029

Looks like a bunch of threads on kilns, pottery, etc. have been started over in artisans... you might try redirecting some of the posts and topics on this thread over there.

As Terry said, if those topics end up dominating the artisans forum, then it'll be clearly time for a new forum.

I'm enjoying the pottery etc. discussions, but I'm a lot more likely to find them when I browse around lurking in the artisans forum... I'm still not convinced this needs to be its own forum, so please could I not be on the list (on the other DG thread) of people requesting the forum? Thanks.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #5984033

critter, those of us who have started and been posting on the threads in Artisans are the folks requesting the new forum.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #5984081

Critter,

Have you ever done ceramics? if you haven't and have good strong muscles, you would enjoy it, I think.

I make most of my pots, and am only limited by the size of my kiln...which is going to become a larger one just any day now. But even those smallest pots are great for wintersowing, too.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #5984109

Ima, Zen, Grownut, Picabo, everybody...I have been thinking.

Let's gather together some thread topics that could be put on a KFA forum then we could add them to the note to admin that Ima wrote and posted:

Coiling

Slab

Wheel thrown

Kilns

Raku Fired

Kiln safety

Glazing

Bisque firing

Homemade glazes

Tools

Pots for winter sowing

Vases

Birdhouses

Miniatures

Sculpting

Slip (proper connecttion)

Keep thinking, this is something we need to work on together...
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 9, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #5984540

I think threads will come along as people have questions make something new want to share information. As far as a list of topics there are very many it would be hard to make a list. In sculpting for instance, joining two pieces, coil, slab, carving, shape, form, on and on and that could go for many of the above.

glazing: recipes, application, mixing, deciding which to use for a project, brainstorming what went wrong, temperature etc.

Somehow I missed the comment from Terry about if clay dominated the artisans forum then we would get a forum of our own. Isn't one of the problems that because there isn't a clay forum people end up going to various forums depending on what the use of the object is?

There are a variety of forums where clay work could and does pop up such as; landscaping, container gardening, garden art, garden design, indoor gardening and house plants, rock and alpine gardening, crafts and decorating, mosaics, artisans, I could go through the whole list of forums and add more.

Until this came up I hadn't a clue how many people on Dave's garden there were that were interested in clay. For the most part I have just gone to another web site with questions about clay because it didn't seem like there was a place.

I am going on and on here. What I really want to say if we don't have our "own" forum then it would mean constantly going from forum to forum to see who was out there. Have you ever done a search for clay on DG? Try one.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #5984756

I'm taking you off, critterO. Sorry if I mistook...

I do have to say though, that I think the category we are requesting as a forum is both too diverse and too integral a part of what DG appears to be (to me) for it to be incorporated half as well in any other format. I want to be able to have a complete homestead. Making my own containers is part of this. My kimchee jars, my ollas, my planters, my dishes, my garden decoration, my birdhouses, any pickling containers...Ok, I'm not into being my own blacksmith, lol, but everything else, yeah, pretty much. Most of those I have met here have a wide variety of interests centered around one key theme -self reliance. Kiln Fired Arts is a major, component, integral part of that. -Dang, glass-blowing!! anybody do that?!

(Gah! While I'm on my soapbox why not add in a smokehouse request for the preservation and canning etc forum...woooops!)
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #5985405

Gee, I was gonna ask you to send me some horseshoes till you said you weren't into blacksmithing!

Until Joanne started this idea, I didn't really know how many DG folks were into clay, either. In an attempt to "corrall" some of us, I did 2 searches on all the DG forums---one for "kiln" and one for "potter". After weeding through all the discussions of Harry Potter, I found several postings on three other forums since October about working with clay. I dMailed a few more folks who said they were potters but weren't already on our list.

I've used a few websites dedicated to clay, but they don't have the user-friendly interface that DG does, and IMHO they're not a good place for beginners to ask questions. I'm very interested in working with glass as well as clay, so that means going to yet another website...again, not so well-structured for asking beginner-level questions and getting "live" answers.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #5985801

I think user friendly is the key word here. We find clay sites all over the internet, but how many can you go to and get real answers or information? We might as well be searching through a book.

But user friendly is what we are looking for, and I find myself thinking of this in my sleep. Woke up thinking of raku firing this morning.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #5985855

Same here. We did a few firings of the Hagi which is a whitish, very sandy, knobbley clay. I believe (though I don't remember clearly) the tradition is a reduction technique. A few brush strokes with iron and then a thick white glaze. Done right the glaze should melt away from the iron in spots and crackle all over. This pic is a teacup (yunomi) done wrong -the glaze only came away at the lip of the cup, but it does have a few pock marks and the cracks are there. The longer the Hagi is in use, the more character it shows as the cracks in the glaze pick up color of their own.

Monkey See, Monkey Do...

This message was edited Jan 9, 2009 1:50 PM

Thumbnail by grownut

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #5985870

Sometimes the accidents are just as beautiful as those done perfectly.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 9, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #5985878

I had never hard of Hagi before. I like that teacup.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #5985887

Here's the real McCoy...

Thumbnail by grownut

grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 9, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #5985906

It's really interesting to work with -but the first few days my fingertips were RAW!! The 2nd one there is a tea ceremony type bowl, not a teacup, per se -Matcha-chawan I think is how it's written. You can see how much contrast is there in the real pro's cup. You can't see how heavy the hips are on mine though which I like -lol!!

I linked it on that kiln thread too. Amazing how much info is coming back to me just talking to you 'mudslingers'!

Edited to make sure I get no credit for that beauty in the 2nd pic! It's off a Hagi site.

This message was edited Jan 9, 2009 2:01 PM
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #5986938

Hey all, I have really enjoyed reading your comments on pottery, clay etc. I have learned lots from all of you. THANKS !
Zenpotter, thanks for reminding me that the pole for the totems needs to have drain holes in it. You are a life saver, as it gets VERY cold here and I can just imagine what a freeze would do to all my totems. Hadn't even thunk on that one. You saved me lots of heartache..
See how much we have already helped each other. Hope we get our own forum...hope,hope,hope. JoAnne
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #5986969

As of this posting, this thread has been viewed 1,121 times!!!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #5987096

I think it has made us all run get all our books out...I have dug up magazines that are from the 80's that had sections on clay work. So here I sit surrounded by all these old books and papers thinking of all kinds of things I would be making if I had others working with me...we would all get a boost to make more, learn more, don't you think?

I have loved looking at your work again. Sometime over the years I had seen Zen's totems, and Ima's tiles (Ima and I talked at length some time ago) but it is so good to see grownut's work and others, too. And yes, JoAnne, I have learned a lot just from this thread.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 10, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #5988187

Maybe our next step is to start threads on various topics and questions in the Artisans Forum. I could post my question about Naked Clay there as it's own thread. That way we have several threads going rather than one long one. It would be important to use the one thread so the interest is more obvious. Artisans Forum here I come.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 10, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #5988409

I found a naked raku artist who does workshops in AZ...looked wonderful...poooor Zeeennnnn...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #5988712

and I just posted a new thread on Artisans about recipes for clay...
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 10, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #5990048

There is going to be a naked raku workshop this spring at the clay center I belong to. I was there and got talking to one of the teachers and he going to be doing it. yahoo.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 10, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #5990331

Now I am formally jealous. That's wonderful!! Nothing beats talking to actual people. I don't interact with books nearly as well...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #5990417

me too...how far is it to MN, grownut? Pick me up in your way, OK?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #5990576

Google maps says you're 5 miles closer -768 to my 773... our routes meet up near the Wisconsin border...Or I run down thataways and pick you up...figure 850mi at 60mph...14-15hrs driving? Maybe just go faster...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #5990831

Just go faster...
Wait...what county are you?
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #5990994

Grayson. WKpkwy112 --my route goes L'ville to Indy. Yours shows Paducah straight north...IOW -you can head due north and I can't -at least not without swimming the Ohio R...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #5991064

Yep, I know Grayson. Leitchfield???

All my relatives are in L'ville and Lexington, also Bardstown, so I know that route very well. But from here you can go just very nearly anywhere, and yes, straight north on 24 then, what??maybe 57?

Or, we could go south to Nashville. Picabo has lots going on there, sounds as if.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #5991136

Honestly 2 hours sounds a bit more do-able than 15. Yup. You had the perfect route...

Honestly all this pottery talk is making me drool. Wondering about coil building, homemade kickwheels, and a really hot trashcan!! Most of my stuff got broken in the mail back to this country, but I remembered some really fun stuff with the Karatsu, decorated w/ iron and tinted slip(?) -it was a plum blossom pattern. Simple and really cool. The clay and glaze recipes are entirely new to me, as is the idea of cones...Ol' MP (Mad Potter) was teaching largely by color and size of flame -there was one young girl(Japanese) who could get him to answer specific questions fairly clearly, but he thought it was bad training to tell me because 'Westerners rely too much on numbers and not enough on feel'...I'm beginning to think I learned something--and beginning to wish I knew what that something was!lol!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #5991162

yeah, but what a great opportunity you had. I have had no training like that, but have studied under a few good teachers, just not enough to improve my work or to curb my appetite to do more. There is a guy in Murray, about 20 minutes from me, and he used to teach at the University there, he is really great, and if he would offer more classes now that I am retired, I would be there in a heartbeat. It is hard to get motivated when there is no one around who has a clue what you are trying to do.

And i love kickwheels best. Somehow I feel more control with them, but could be because that's what I learned on. My son took my kiln and my wheel in for an overhaul, so I have neither here right now...right when I am dying to get my hands dirty. I do have clay, though, so I could be handbuilding...slab, coil...sculpture...sigh...
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #5991371

I remember doing plates slab. We'd roll it out, cut into whatever shape -I did oakleaf- then sculpt and shape them. They were far more like serving slabs. Cookie platter type things. Sometimes we'd add feet and slump 'em a tiny bit towards the middle. Throw in some broken glass for color. I still have a bunch of 3 footed triangular dishes I use for condiments (mostly Japanese pickles- they only hold about 2 tablespoonsful). And we never had a machine to roll stuff out. Sounds heavenly. Do you make your own mixes or just buy clay? I looked around a little at some of the links, but it seemed a bit like choosing crayons --all I saw was different shades of one type?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #5991407

Actually, my son worked at a clay company when he was going to Purdue, and they had what they call Zebra clay, which is the leftovers at the end of a mix. It is perfect, just sort of variegated in color, and still fires white. I got a lot of it for my school and kept some for myself since there was no cost involved. So I have quite a bit of that, and at this age in my life, I think I will just continue to buy it when I run out. Too old for foot stompin'! There is a clay source I think in Graves County and I am not sure they will sell to an individual, but when I run out, I think i will try them. Shipping charges are horrible on clay.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #5991534

They would be (shipping charges). That Hagi I mentioned earlier has large enough grit in it that you can actually see it through the glaze. Looked at a little dish I have. I'll post when it's light enough to take a pic, but it is green with white spots -where the grit juts out! I'm dying to get back in. I guess with the Zebra clay you just amend as needed?
got to go for now...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #5991539

Yep...it is pretty easy to deal with.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 11, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #5991863

It sure would be fun if you could come take that class. Hey and it would force me to clean out all of the junk in the extra bedroom. We keep putting stuff there rather than deal with getting rid of it.

We should all look for a centrally located clay workshop where we could meet.

I learned on clay from the river and add grog to it. Now I buy my clay from a local clay company, Continental Clay. They do a lot of mail order, but it is a 15 min drive for me. They have a lot of information on their web site. You can purchase dry prepared clay I am sure it would require lots of muscles to mix and wedge it though. I like to buy my clay ready to go, no wedging required.

http://continentalclay.com/
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #5992422

Zen, I don't think I'm ready for any such thing, much as I'd like to. I haven't thrown a teaspoonful of anything in 12 years...OTH, northern Illinois is about halfway between us I think...not interested in Chicago, but...

Grog -is that what is in this Hagi piece I did? Maybe? characteristic big silica looking blobs...

Thanks for the link. Slowly getting my bearings. Wondering what would be a good way to get back into this. If I can find a studio or place to fire I could at least do some hand building...maybe. I know there's at least one local potter -she does mugs etc for craft fairs, very textural, sculptural...
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #5992443

Didn't recognize the format the first time -sorry for the bad quality photo...

Thumbnail by grownut

zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 11, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #5992446

I don't throw at all, my hands won't do it anymore. I can't hold them in one position for that long. Fibromyalgia. Any wedging that needs to be done my DH does for me.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #5992511

So what forms are you concentrating on and what do you hope to do with the Naked Raku? Was it sculptural? I can't place what it is I've seen -been talking mud too much...

Sorry to here about the FM, but DH sounds like a lifesaver!! And a lot of much nicer words as well...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #5992728

grownut, maybe try posting on your nearest craig's list or freecycle that you're looking to share kiln space? I've seen postings like that before.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009

Post #5992775

Now there's a thought I never thunk...I'd have to be ready to do some firing, or at least think about it, but there's far more potential there than for me to get everything set up here singlehanded -thanks!!
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #5993218

This is what I took out of the kiln today. Still have another load to take out. Had some miss-haps tho. I went to check on it and hmmmm, it was off. After it cooled down I looked inside and a piece of pottery had broken off and tripped the sitter. So I restarted it and I think (hope) it will be ok. It was only on for a couple of hours, soooo, we will see.
JoAnne

Thumbnail by jcoats123

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #5993228

Looks good, JoAnne...
I am itching to get my kiln back now. All this talk ...sigh...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #5993312

JoAnn, your tile designs are LOVELY!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #5993403

Beautiful.

Know whatcha mean, Sharran! Ivan Awfulitch!!

What's next with the tiles and birdhouse?

Actually I'd love to know what kinds of pieces all the different DGers who're asking for this make... We've got the Fusers. And some tiles. And that wonderful totem. And Sagger fired pots and...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #5993466

Sculpture...I am itching to make those busts/pots, with the open head where flowers would grow. There is a picture of some on our DG calendar, but think they are made of other material.
And slab... for minitature landscapes..
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #5993468

Oops, forgot to sign the post:
Ivan Awfulitch.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #5993481

I've heard you mention the miniature landscapes before, but can't quite picture it?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #5993498

Will see if I can find what I mean...
Well, it's like building bird houses, you just create little slab buildings, and they become part of the landscape around the flower garden. Flowers grow around and about and the little buildings look like a small town, sort of Jack and the Beanstalk-ish. Simple really, just pertains to gardening and I wanted to be able to connect the two.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #5993513

There's a forum here called Tiny Gardens, if you look there you'll find some nice pics of mini landscapes.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #5993515

Yes, thanks, I thought there might be.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 11, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #5993538

Checked it out. Starting to get the idea now. I was trying to imagine what kind of toad houses might be good the other day...that count?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #5993566

...and here you go: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/allfiredup/all/
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #5993746

YAY...YAY...YAY! Thanks!!!!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #5993767

JoAnne, I owe you a big bouquet of Thank Yous for getting this started!

Thumbnail by imapigeon

jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #5995081

Imapigeon, you girls are the ones who did it. I only suggested it and from there you and the others worked on it. Thanks to all of you. Isn't it exciting. Can't wait to hear all the good pottery, etc stuff. I know we are in for some great sharing and learing from each other.
Make it a good day !.
JoAnne
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2009
6:29 AM

Post #5995243

Well, we all had a goal, and you, Jo Anne, are the one who pulled us all together with your first post. It's a great thing. We have reached the top of the mountain, and now we will stay together and clay together and get all kinds of dirty! And...we'll have a ton of buddies along with us, because just wait and see how many others are going to be interested.

I am thinking up pots and things I want to make, and I would not have even pulled out all my clay, all 300 pounds of it, if it hadn't been for you. Well, actually it is in 25 pound bags, so it wasn't all that heavy. I simply can't wait to get started.

I am also reading up on what happens with glazed pieces that are used in varying weather conditions...I have been talking about making things for outside, but have to consider our freaky weather these days. Bet Zen will know something about that.

So...anyway, thanks to all of you. This is such a good thing.
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 12, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #5995914

I am so excited we got it done all of us together.

I can tell you that low fire cone 04 glazed pieces do not make it through freezing weather. I have had low fire terra sig pieces outside for several years and no problem.

The totems and other glazed pieces are fired to cone 10. Some of the cone 10 pieces have been outside for 4 years. We have what one would call varying weather conditions, from 100 F to -40 give or take on both ends. Snow, wind, rain, etc. Think Siberia. Hard to think anyone would choose to live here isn't it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #5995926

If y'all glance at the numbers in the newsletter, we had a major number of posts last week. It's a good thing!!

Be back in awhile...
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 18, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6019728

Sharran's got to be ear deep in clay right now...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6021018

You don't know how close to right you are...but carry on...I keep checking in anyway.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

January 18, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6021083

I'm glad you have enough wiggle room to check in anyway -LOL!!
Metric
Mesa, AZ

September 10, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #7048231

Hallo All :

New Guy here - is possible to re glaze some stoneware - I have an early 20th century water crock that due to cleaning has thinned the inside glazing down - is such a terrific early 2oth C red brown crock - I will like to use it again -
Is what I ask possible

I am in the Valley of the Sun Phoenix AZ area is anyone knows where I might find some help
Cheers in advance
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7048488

Welcome!
In a case like this, I always recommend going any good local community college or university that offers ceramics classes, and talking to the teacher(s). They'll have the kind of expertise you need to get a proper answer to your question, and tell you whether it's feasible to reglaze the piece or not. More than likely it's a low-fire piece, but that's something the instructor would probably be able to determine by looking at it. If it can be reglazed, they will also likely be able to refer you to an artisan in your area who can do the work for you.

Both Mesa and Paradise Valley Community Colleges have what look like (aftern taking a quick look at their course listings) good ceramics programs.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM
Guess what this will be? jcoats123 15 Jan 23, 2009 4:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America