Photo by Melody

Upper Midwest Gardening: What do you do with all those email and catalogues?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 45, Views: 306
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

December 24, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5923498

I received my Bluestone, Jungs, and I can't remember what other garden catalogues. I've been getting email almost daily from White Flower Farms. It is like throwing candy in front of children and these sales people know it.

It is 8 below with wind chill. There is snow and ice, and I'm trying to pretend I like the winter interest as much as sumer blooms ... but it just isn't true.

So what do you do?

I read every page. I fold corners. I go back and highlight the ones I think I really really need. And then I wait until trash day (and painfully) throw the catalogue away. It is just too early and I know I'll spend too much and/or change my mind by Easter. You do remember we had snow last Easter.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5923639

I have unsubscribed to most Email notifications.
I did get Bluestone too, and have gone thru it and found only 1 that i put on my list... that is not bad.

Hostas are another story... my 'wants' lists are long, but i only get a few every year.
Sometimes i will put one or two of the really good Cats in my "Gardening" folder in my file cabinet... for days when i need some eye candy... the rest do get recycled the very next trash day.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 28, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5937232

My catalogs just stack up until I am ready to look at them, which won't be for a while yet. I don't know where you all find find time to keep pawing through those things. Heck, the "Winter Boredom" threads on the Iris forum started in September! What the hay? Are you all type A personalities?

Books, that's whatya need. And not the novels that you can speed read through. You need thought provoking ones. Pick any subject you want. I am partial to those written by saints or mystics from at least a century ago, as well as plant books of all kinds. Which reminds me: I need to get a catalog Timber Press, since our Rock Garden society will be doing a mass order next month. BTW, if you search the TP cat online, you won't find all the books available. For the complete complement, you need a paper catalog sent to you.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5939183

I spent $250 the other day looking through online catalogs!
Winter boredom.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 29, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5939421

I am an idiot. A good DGer pointed out to me that my previous post could be taken as mockery: that I was putting everyone down for being lazy.

In fact, I meant just the opposite. How do you all find this extra time? People keep telling me I am organized, and I keep telling them I am not (which is the truth). In that post, had written a paragraph listing all the things I still need to do, and erroneously deleted it. I was too lazy to rewrite it. And suggesting books for any was out of line, too.

My apologies to everyone.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5939578

I do the same as duck_toller with my print catalogs, but instead of throwing them out I put them in a pile and go thru them again a couple of weeks later, and then again a couple of weeks later... Going thru the pile of catalogs and redoing my summer garden plans about a dozen times before I actually order anything is a major winter pastime! Thinking about spring and gardening helps my cabin fever.
And Leftwood I didn't find your post objectionable at all, in fact quite the opposite. I read a lot all year round and it's always interesting to see what kind of things others like to read. And who doesn't tout their favorite pastimes to others? I suspect I've bored many of my friends going on and on about gardening! :-)
cherryrockcandy
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #5971100

January is such a long cold month, I love seeing the catalogs show up. I usually dont buy a lot, but I look through them, cover to cover and use them to plan for spring and make a wish list for later. I bought some "natives' seeds to start early.

Leftwood, I thought your post was kinda of funny, because I am addicted to non-fiction, especially gardening/horticulture, and other sciences, and political blogs... reading a novel, would probably do me good. I think I will finish the Odd Thomas series
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #5979711

More catalogs arrive in my mail box every day. I will take them to bed with me at night along with little post-it notes. Past experience has shown that if I go back a couple of weeks late and can't remember which item on the page the post-it note was for, then I probably didn't really need it after all.

I am trying really hard not to do what Bernie did on-line. (Been there--done that--and trying not to do it again and again.)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #5979864

Hey Marie, You should see the nice Hostas I have ordered. 10 different ones, 25 or 30 of each. Droll if you would like.

I think I got 4 catalogs the last 2 days. Never heard of some. Most go in the trash.

Bernie
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #5980099

Bernie...I can't drool until I know which ones you are going to tempt me with.

Come On...Which Ones!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #5980129

Praying Hands, T-Rex, Big Daddy
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 8, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #5980678

So which are your most tempting catalogues. Love White Farms, but its too pricey for me. Have mixed results from Michigan Bulb. Which ones entice you to over abundance in these cold months?
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #5981088

I got a Bluestone Perennials catalog for the first time this year, and have looked through it I don't know how many times. It's getting wrinkled from all the drool that's dripped on it!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #5981119

OH -- i just love BlueStone's catalog ... i ended up ordering as they have a 15% off now.
though i do like their 50% off in the summer.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #5981623

I like Bluestone also along with Logee's tropicals, Dutch Gardens, and (this year anyway) Select seeds and plants. I'll look at the White Flower Farms but their too pricey for me as well.
I've an order for Bluestone that I sent in back in November and a order sent in for Dahlia from Van Bourgdeon(sp) I mailed last October.

I got 10 catalogs in the mail yesterday. Course there were also a couple doubles. One in my name one in DH's name.Jackson & Perkins sends me at least 2 at a time and I've only technically ordered from them once back in the summer of 2004. Sent the order in about July for a few roses that DH was ordering for my b-day. Two days before my b-day they send a letter saying each and every one is out of stock. Haven't ordered from the since.

I have them all over the place kitchen table, coffee table sun room in the bedroom. When I take a break I look and then look some more.

What can I say?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #5981633

Just went thru my J&P this morning... did a big of dreaming Roses, then moved on.

>>send a letter saying each and every one is out of stock
Oh that stinks. I think most of my roses are from them.
had pretty good luck with them.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #5981635

I have a big stack on the coffee table and often spend a whole evening looking through them all again. I think I have maybe 15 total? Nothing like your collection cececoogan! :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #5981651

Jackson & Perkins is now owned by Wayside Gardens, all together they are Park's.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #5981669

I've been getting seed catalogs and plant catalogs since October. I had all my seeds ordered and received by Thanksgiving. I also get Lee Valley Tools, Gardener's Edge and Gardener's Supply catalogs almost monthly. I love the gardening thing.
Keeps me stress free and a happy camper.And WITHIUT Prozac. Works for me.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009

Post #5981670

I hang out in the Rose Forum a lot and from what everyone says J&P is definitely not the greatest place to get roses, there are lots of other much better sources.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009

Post #5981674

Bernie... i did not know that. Wayside has nice stuff... expensive, but nice.
I know it was talked about -- possibly in this thread... about how some places are gobbling up others
[i know Springhill was mentioned]

I did noticed the past few years, J&P went from all roses to adding more perennials.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #5981706

I'm not ordering Wayside this year...I'm mad at them. Got a catalog back in June and ordered a campylotropis macromacarpa, and a Daphne 'Carol Mackie' for fall delivery. Called them at the end of September to find out when they would be shipped and was told the Horticulturist hadn't released them yet. Had me call back every week and finally the Monday before Thanksgiving they tell me that horticulturist wasn't satisfied with them so there would be none. Told them to just return my check then and the reply was We'll credit your account for next spring. Told them no a refund check. Three weeks later I call and ask where the refund check is and was told they put it as credit for spring. Said no I want a refund there will be NO ORDERS for spring with them. Come to think of it I still haven't gotten the refund check. Will need to call them again or better yet have hubby call them.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #5981712

cece -- i think i only got one catalog from them, that was it. but their prices are too rich for my blood.
especially since now i just swap others for seeds. *much cheaper*

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #5981891

I get the hang of seed starting I will too.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #5981917

I hate to always harp on this, but the best place to buy plants is your local nursery. And I am not talking about Home Depot, Menards, Etc.
Every bigger town has somebody running a nursery. There you can look at the plant. It will be ready to put in the ground & look beautiful shortly. Mail order & you may get a dead stick. (At least that's the norm when you visit Garden Watchdog.)
I am not a full fledged nursery, but buy wholesale bare root things or start perennials from seed. I then grow them in my greenhouse until they are ready to plant in a garden. I only offer the ones that are healthy. If one is poorly or dies, I take the loss not the customer.
Buy locally & get what you pay for, a nice plant.
Bernie

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #5982459

Bernie... i always bought locally. the guy was there forever ... i used to shop there as a kid, we'd get our pumpkins from him, furnished all our plants when we built this place... then a few months later... we got a notice he was closing his doors. [retiring after his younger brothers passing] so -- we lost our lil local guy.

I do have a Platt Hill a few towns over... bought a "Regal Splendor" from them a few years ago.

Terese
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #5982570

OK Bernie...that's three out of ten...and I've already got 2 out of 3!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #5982653

Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Christmas Tree, Chantilly Lace.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 8, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #5982833

cece - tell Wayside that after multiple phone conversations, you are now forced to record your telephone call.

BTW, if you come across Hosta 'Empress Wu' or 'Big Kahuna', those were developed by some friends of mine.

Empress Wu:
http://www.perennialresource.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=gallery.images&catID=19&image=894

Big Kahuna with a penny for scale:
http://www.perennialresource.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=gallery.images&catID=19&image=888

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #5982847

Those are awesome Bernie... Doesnt Viking Ship fit in that category too?
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #5984535

I intend to order a few things from Bluestone this year that I imagine it will be harder to find locally. Other than that, I use all those catalogs for winter dreaming. I find myself flipping through them constantly getting ideas. My new yard is such a blank slate right now that it's fun to come up with possible designs while the snow is falling outside. (Heck, there's even a bag of compost buried in the front yard under the snow just waiting for me to be ready to build a new bed.)

My latest focus: Fun With Shade Gardening. ;)
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #5984568

Bernie, there's two local family nurseries I visit often during the year, the catalogs are for unusual things they don't carry, plus as KaylyRed says winter dreaming!
Terese, thanks for mentioning Platt Hill, I'd never heard of them. I found their website and it looks it will be well worth a trip over there come spring to check them out, it's not all that far away.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 9, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #5986017

Bernie...you've got a nice selection of hostas on order. I like Praying Hands so much that I have more than one, it does seem like a slow grower for me. I may need to put in an order from you for a couple of the other ones.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 10, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #5988386

Went out to make sure I was subscribed to Bluestone's catalog and fell in love with the Harlequin hydrangea but it is zone 5-8, so I may have to compromise with Pinky Winky which is zone 3-8. My hill gets pretty harsh winter wind.

Then thinking about buying locally I started to search for Wisconsin growers on Dave's list of sources. Lots of web sites are down, wonder if it is the economy or just typical for this industry. Many don't offer catalogs just onsite or on the web sales, which with the cost of paper and printing makes sense. I signed up for what was available.

Did find this that I thought might make all of you smile http://thistledowngreenhouse.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pa.cgi?d=thistledown&type=470 I liked the fractured guy best.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2009
10:33 AM

Post #5991768

I've lists of things I want to obtain and orders filled out and waiting to be mailed.Our local nursery is so outrageously expensive that I do order things. Maybe most of them come in 2-3 inch pots but then I can always say I grew them from babies and really mean it.
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

January 29, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6067897

Had a blizzard in December for 3 days; I went through stacks and stacks of magazines and seed catalogs; tore out pictures and added them to my binder where I keep pictures and ideas and flowers I want or have. My husband finally looked at the binder and was kinda impressed! That way I dont have all the catalogs and magazines and dont remember 'now, where did I see that...?'

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6069107

That is exactly why I keep all catalogs until June. Then I cut the pictures and descriptions...
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6071123

When I order from a catalog I cut out the picture and any info about the plant and put it in a 3-ring binder. I cut out "wants" and ideas too. Then I keep them for reference until the next one comes out.
onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6071264

Catalogs and planning for spring are my survival means through January & February. I carry a catalog with me almost all the time, flip through while waiting for appointments, food servers, co-workers late for meetings, while watching college basketball on tv (almost nightly).

My favorites that I have and will order from: High Country, Bluestone, Jung Seed, Schreiners (Iris), Klehms Song Sparrow (one of most beautiful), just received Heronswood and planning to order. Daylily and rose catalogs, more than several.

Nice catalogs but no ordering due to not best experience: Wayside, White Flower Farm, Jackson & Perkins.

Only 29 more days until March. Yippee!!!!

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6072526

I put my wish list on a spreadsheet. I have one column for link to the product. Anytime I want to check something out, just click & olay it's right there in living color.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6072792

onegoodman1955-you said High Country was one of your favorites and you do order from them correct? What is their packaging like? the condition of the plants and the size? I've ordered from some where the packing stinks and the plants are merely 2-4 leaf seedlings. I've gotten a catalog from High Country for the first time and have seen some plantings I would be interested in but kinda leery... What is your take on them?
onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6072933

Below is feedback I left last summer. The packaging was appropriate and sturdy, tightly packed so no shifting. All were healthy but sleepy upon arrival...a little water upon arrival perked em up. I was surprised at the small size, but all 'thrived' and I bet do return this spring. The hummingbird mint Ava growth was incredible...large shrub size...and hummingbirds galore. This year I am going to wait until spring is definitely here, and order salvias and lavenders. My mission is to find a lavender that will winter over here. No luck thus far.

On June 2, 2008, onegoodman1955 Normal, IL
(Zone 5b) wrote:
Finally - plants in the ground (one month) and doing great !
This spring was my first experience with HCG. I ordered $225 + of perennials; shipped to me (zone 5) April 1 as requested. Due to cold and sometimes frigid spring, the plants didn't see the garden until end of April. All of the plants are thriving, several are beginning to bloom.
I wasn't thrilled with the size of the plants upon receipt, but if they continue to grow at the current rate and survive the midwest winter, I will definitely order from HCG in 2009.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On August 15th, 2008, onegoodman1955 added the following:
Now August 14 and all plants have thrived to an extreme. The 6 Hummingbird Mints are looming over my 2nd year Butterfly Bushes and have drawn many many Hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6073691

Actually it was the hummingbird mint "Ava' I was more interested in with a couple of others...I'm thinking I'll order. I liked the idea of the requested delivery dates which I am going for the end of April.

I'm zone 5 and have about 6 Hidacote lavenders that have done splendid in the past 4 years...have you tried that one?????They come back every year and have gotten to be pretty nice size clumps.

Thanks for the infol

Cherie
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6097106

Hi Cherie! One mail-order that I will NOT ever order from again is Park Seed/Wayside Gardens --- I ordered sooo much and 99% was in really bad shape and dead/or died soonafterward...I should've requested replacements/refunds but it was a couple of years ago and I was "laid-up" from surgery and never persued it (was out a couple hundred dollars on that 'deal' :( And, it's not that I have a 'brown-thumb'. I'm really into all the kinds of things (tropicals) that need to be wintered-over inside: EE's, Cannas, Glads, Caladiums, BRUGS, etc. :)

Bernie aka CountryGardens: You are sooo right about buying from local nurseries but they even try to 'sneak' something by you that is not hardy in our area---you just have to do some research and be willing, and able, to overwinter if need be...especially if it's something you want. I've been known to mention to inexperienced ppl that "such-and such" is not hardy in this area :) I've made bad plant decisions in the past unknowingly and it can get costly :(

Jan
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 13, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6134831

Goodman, on your advice I signed up for Kelm and High Country, as I was already getting the others on your favorite list. Received Kelm today ooh! aah! It is a goodie and I love that they are in Wisconsin. Thanks for the suggestion. Best valentines gift so far.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6137672

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to everyone.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America