Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Merry Christmas!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

December 24, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5925561

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hi, hope you all have a wonderful and safe Christmas Holiday!

Marilyn

ps... I know that I should be on this forum much more than I ever have and I wanted to wish you a great holiday!

edited to add... the tiny dark specks on the door are from the water I sprayed on my fresh wreath (to keep it fresher) last December. I haven't gotten a pic of this years fresh wreath to show.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2008 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Click the image for an enlarged view.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5927283

Marilyn
Merry Christmas to you!

Beautiful Wreath!

Ric
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

December 26, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5928021

Merry Christmas Ric!

Thanks! I got this one (last year's) and the one for this year at Christmas Farms http://christmasfarms.com/index.aspx

Last year's wreath (shown on my door in pic) is the Christmas Classic
http://christmasfarms.com/classicwreath.aspx

This year I decided to try the Fraser Winterberry Wreath (which I think was new for this year and haven't gotten a pic of it yet)
http://christmasfarms.com/fraserwinterberrywreaths.aspx

They've been sold out on wreaths for awhile, as you can imagine.

Here's the 'scoop on they on the GW with my two reviews for this and last year.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6482/

I've never ordered anything else from them, but I'm sure it would be great also.

By the way, I've seen other Dave's members with Cincinnati city listings and notice that like you, they have zone 6b instead of zone 6a and I have listed. Being in KY, I would be at least the Cincinnati zone, or warmer. Maybe I should change mine to that. How did you get zone 6b? I've looked at the US map of zones and now I'm wondering...

Marilyn
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5928254

Marilyn we are getting an Urban heating affect and also the River is right by us.
The valleys on 3 sides bleed a lot of the cold down and off us too.
W/ these and also the tons of rock in and wind barriers around our small yard we are really a 7a.
Many of the plants we do are actually GA hardy.
On a good year (like last year) we have had Zone 7b plants come back.
In our South facing bed next to the house we have overwintered Elephant Ears 3 years running now.

We were thru Hebron last weekend.
That open area and being away from the river probably would cause a true 6a.
But each yard is different and micro-climates abound here in the ORVG.
Just 2 miles from us in the 5 Mile creek valley I've seen snow 3 weeks past ours.
It's also way cooler in the Summer.

Ric
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2008
8:15 AM

Post #5928764

Hi, Marilyn, and Ric, too, of course!

Christmas wishes to you, too! And what a lovely wreath. You must be really organized to order a wreath online! I have all I can do just to pick one up at Kroger (but it's not as pretty as yours, of course!)

We were over your way on Christmas Eve. We picked up our daughter who came in from San Fran. at 7 p.m. at CVG then went to Christmas eve dinner at Jo An's, the Japanese restaurant over by the Toyota buildings. It was delicious. We will definitely go back. Maybe make it a Christmas tradition!

Ric does take advantage of his sheltered spot there and has all kinds of interesting things growing. He's just a puddle jump from us, but much more successful at overwintering stuff.

So far this winter the weather has been pretty weird, hasn't it? Maybe there is a chance I can still get the rest of my daffodil bulbs planted!

Wishing all of you in the ORV a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year! t.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5929226

T!
Merry Christmas to You and the Crew!

Ric and Robyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America