Photo by Melody

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: amaryllis flower seeds

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 4, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zeetas
Culver City, CA

December 26, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5928280

Can the seeds produced by the flower be planted somehow? I haven't been able to find any information on this.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5928475

Yes! I've heard it's best to sow them as fresh as possible. I germinated a few that I got in a trade my first year here, and although it took several years for them to bloom, I enjoyed growing them out. My recollection is that I germinated them with a bit of bottom heat.

I'd like to encourage you to subscribe. You'll be able to find a lot of great information in the Amaryllis discussion forum... and if you're fascinated by the prospect of growing an amaryllis form seed, then I think you'd find a lot to interest you in many of the forums here. :-)
aceofclubs
Ionia, MI

January 10, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8301843

Two stalks of my pink amaryllis set seeds on the six blooms on each stalk, a year ago. When the pods opened to reveal the dark brown seed scales, by the "hundreds", I took the seeds and simply spread them on some Miracle Grow potting soil in a ten inch pot, and unceremoniously mixed them lightly into the soil. I thought, "We'll see." Well, since they were near the garden hose, on the porch, I just splashed them once in a while with water, keeping the soil moist. Now what? They "all" grew, and filled the pot with the grassy seedlings. I kept them going through the summer of 2010, and potted over a hundred seedlings laboriously into individual peat pots. Now they are eight inches high, and need bigger pots. I think about 75 of the plants have survived. I'm going to establish a highly fertile amaryllis growing frame to see how far I can take them. Some have leaf bases that are very red, while others are white or pink. I am thinking this may signify the flower colors to come. Clearly, my single bulb was self fertile. I'm enjoying Dave's Garden site. Ace
teleman14
Peotone, IL

January 10, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8302665

I hand pollinate my amaryllis whenever I can,I have one just starting to send up a flower stalk ,and I will pollinate it as soon as it is ready. It is a fun way to increase my supply. I have several that have survived for 3-4 years,no blooms yet but I am optimistic for some this year.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8303317

I will have some Amaryllis bulbs in a month or two for trade or SASBE if anyone is interested. They may need a box and not an envelope though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America