Photo by Melody

Needle Arts: Can anyone tell me what kind of stitch this is?

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 11, Views: 308
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

December 26, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5929091

Can anyone tell me what kind of stitch this is?

This is a tapestry I took from a photo of my grand daughter just after she had been baptized. I started this about 5 years ago. Sorry, my camera makes everything look grainy:( She is dancing with a flag. I just have to finish the background. The only other tapestry I did (see photo below) was done in the same stitch - all stitches go in one direction...to the right. I don't know much about doing tapestry (I've done cross stitch and embroidery) except that it is a great way to ssssoooth my soul. Just wondering if this kind of work has a name. Thanks.

Thumbnail by scarediecat
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5929337

I do'nt know anything about tapestry or the stitches. I just had to tell you that is beautiful.
Robin
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

December 29, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5939766

Thanks Robin, I'm working hard on it now, trying to get it ready to give to my grand daughter on her birthday in April. I would like to be able to tell her a little about it besides "here's a tapestry". But - I'm sure the "theme" will be a nice enough surprise for her - a wonderful memory when you get baptized!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6889543

Could your stitch be "needle point"?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6890149

That's what I was thinking too. Is it done on just fabric or a canvas?

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6890183

It can be done on canvas or the same fabric as cross stitch.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6890193

Scardiecat - did you ever finish it for your daughter? I've done both needlepoint on canvas and on aida with floss. Good old arthritus won't let me do that much anymore. It's all I can do sometimes to get the binding done on a quilt!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6897958

This pix is done in Needlepoint, which can be
half a cross stitch
basket weave, some of this is in the pic
continental tent stitch, this is in the lower part
back stitch
gobelin stitch, or this could be the lower part - look alike in front but back is different
byzantyne, some of this is in the flag
jacquard, this is in the flag
Parisian, this is in the flag
cashmere, perhaps this also? Helene
AudreyD
Quincy, MA

September 29, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7117141

I just found a pattern book for Knot-O- Graf patterns. I have a few of the patterns but not the ones I want. Does anyone have any of these patterns? I would be happy to buy or swap to get the ones I need.
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

November 12, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7266672

I was looking through the pages of threads Iíve been in and found that I hadnít answered your question from back in July!! So sorry - I lost track of the thread.

Quilter5bdsr...
The needlepoint has gotten lost between my motherís and my sisterís house! I went there for a wedding and forgot it with my mom. Iím not too worried cause one of them have it - I just have to be patient and keep reminding them about it. Iím sure Iíll get it back one day.

helenethequeen...
are you saying that I used those different stitches in that one project? you sure know your needlepoint - very impressive!! I'm going to look through your posts to see if you have any photos - I hope so because if you know that much detail your work must be wonderful.

Audrey...did you find anyone to swap patterns with?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #7266750

i just happened to be here today. No other pictures that I posted. Haven't done needlepoint in the past few years. If you want to see good needlepoint patterns. www.ehrmantapestry.com. Most of my work was from them. Helene
scarediecat
Ashland City, TN

November 12, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7266781

Great. Thanks for the link!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America