Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Help Need P. incarnata ( maypop), seedlings for Zebra LW's

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 12, Views: 154
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5932463

Hi,
I've had Zebra Longwings laying eggs on my Lady Margert. It's not the right passi for them so they probably aren't going to make it. I've been looking all over here (where I live) for maypops and none of the garden centers or nurseries have them. I'd like to get several started and going so that I will have plenty for the Zebra's. I can find seeds, but I really want some seedlings or rooted cuttings if possible. If anyone has any that would want to trade please look at my trade list or I will send postage. I'm a little stressed over this as I really want to help these guys along.
Thanks
mj
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #5974917

i have some you can have ill have to dig theam tho paul

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #5983242

Paul,
That would be great!! Right now I'm over at my son's house, my computer died. Should have a new one in a few days, or if not will check in on my son's computer. Let me know the postage you need or if I have something on my list you'd like. I've had a devil of a time getting that particular variety!!
Thanks tons!!!
mj
(hoping she'll be back on like very soon...!!!!)

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #5991818

Back online...yippie!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6052365

I guess you can't close threads here...anyway I've got some seeds so hope that they will germinate ok.
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #6140477

Ok, mj. I was going to suggest checking a native plant nursery. I've gotten maypop plants at the one near me (Green Images in Christmas, FL). Good luck with the seeds!
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6169811

I recently read that this butterfly needs pollen to survive to six months, but without it, they only live to be a month old. I read that they like Passiflora Incense, and then found this too: Caterpillar hosts: Passion-vines including Passiflora suberosa, P. lutea, and P. affinis. I also read that they are slow movers and will easily sit on your finger with some patience. Sounds like my kind of butterfly. Wish they would come to Iowa.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

February 21, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6170582

Last year, I chased one around trying to get pictures of it. It was hanging out on my lantana. I grow lots of passies though and the butterflies ate them to nubs so maybe they found something they could eat.
I have some seeds for some other varieties if you want to trade. Thanks, Linda

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6171689

How long do the Maypop seeds usually take to sprout? I sowed mine on 1/28/09 (soaked in OJ first after reading about that in the Passiflora forum) and still no signs of them.
At this rate I may be begging for a rooted cutting or plant again. ~:
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

February 23, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6176375

I've had them take up to 2 months, so you have to be patient. But I just planted some last weekend that I soaked in paper towels for 7 weeks, and so far 9 out of 12 have sprouted. I think I sent you some of these MJ, they are the Pennsylvania X Louisiana incarnatas. A couple of years ago, I also had good luck with passies from seed after a 6 week soak in paper towels, so maybe a long soak time is the "secret".

Mark

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6177303

Mark,
I was saving those till I'm sure I have the hang of starting these things, but if this is how long they take I think I'll get moving with them too.
do you fold them up in the paper towels or put in a baggie, what kind of light while soaking??
thanks, I figure you know what your doing w/ these little beasties.
mj
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

February 24, 2009
7:50 AM

Post #6181917

MJ,

I fold up a paper towel, then fold over one of the bottom corners (so the top folds can be pulled up when wet), wet the folded paper towels, and put the seeds inside. The wet paper towel is placed inside a plastic shoebox or tupperware container. I open it once a day to let fresh air in and check the wetness of the paper towels. The shoebox is placed on a desk, so it does receive some light (which I think inhibits germination). If mold develops, I may just move the seeds, or change out the paper towels. I didn't mean to let my last batch go 7 weeks, I just didn't have the time to get them planted earlier. I read on a website somewhere that the US Post Office irradiates packages, and that may damage some seeds. So it would be interesting to see if you had the same success I did using the same methods.

Good luck!
Mark

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6185579

Ok, I'm going to tryyyyyy this week to get some more of these guys going. I'll split up the seeds, ( at least I have enough to play with) and see what happens. At the moment I don't have heat mat's but am thinking I may have to break down and buy some. Before a sunny spot seemed to work ok but I guess for these guys I may have to spend a little $. ok I'm cheap and on a limited budget...sorry the horses come first. Off to Ebay to look for heat mats...which might be dangerous cause there's seeds for sale there too!!!!!! I really need to be roped in...NOT!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America