Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

ham flesh turned gray

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Please help.....I baked a packaged shank ham and when I cut it it was very corse in texture and the flesh was gray color....it doesn't smell "off" but doesn't have that cured ham flavor or the texture. Do you have any ideas??? I'm boiling the bones & the flesh is just gray/pink....not appetizing looking at all....Deb

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've never seen that in ham. I believe I'd call the butcher where you purchased it and ask. Doesn't sound good though. Is it a cured ham or is it fresh?

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Thank you for responding...it is a cured ham that required cooking first so I had baked it for the time required on the label. it was while slicing it for Christmas Eve I realized it was very tough, I mean real tough. we did not eat it. Yesterday I cooked the bone for beans and that is when I noticed it was gray color...tasted fine, just a funny color..It is a brand & cut I've used many times before with no problem. I am going to speak to the butcher about it, thank you for the suggestion. Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.