Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: ham flesh turned gray

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 2, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5933368

Please help...I baked a packaged shank ham and when I cut it it was very corse in texture and the flesh was gray color...it doesn't smell "off" but doesn't have that cured ham flavor or the texture. Do you have any ideas??? I'm boiling the bones & the flesh is just gray/pink...not appetizing looking at all...Deb
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5935607

I've never seen that in ham. I believe I'd call the butcher where you purchased it and ask. Doesn't sound good though. Is it a cured ham or is it fresh?

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5935863

Thank you for responding...it is a cured ham that required cooking first so I had baked it for the time required on the label. it was while slicing it for Christmas Eve I realized it was very tough, I mean real tough. we did not eat it. Yesterday I cooked the bone for beans and that is when I noticed it was gray color...tasted fine, just a funny color..It is a brand & cut I've used many times before with no problem. I am going to speak to the butcher about it, thank you for the suggestion. Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America